Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone...

I suffer from impulse control issues i.e. doing before thinking.
This means I tend to do stupid things A LOT!

Wondering if anyone else also had this issue?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I can relate to having little impulse control, especially when it comes to finances or speaking. I have to hold my tongue often, and it frustrates me because it doesn't always work out well. To keep from spending too much when I'm out and about, I withdraw a certain amount of money, and have a friend hold my debit card for the day (only friends I trust really, really well), or I leave it at home altogether. This keeps me from splurging on things, and it keeps my finances from going under.

I've had to learn to cope with a lot of areas that I have impulse control issues with. It isn't easy, and it gets frustrating when I do/say something dumb and regret it almost immediately.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hyperactivity or simply learn to control yourself

ps what do you mean stupid thing
indeed... easier said than done though... I mean to learn to control yourself you first need to think about controlling yourself which is sort of difficult if you don't think to begin with!

And by stupid things... it could range from going out before a test to hooking up with a good friend to other far less extreme things like meeting new people and then spending the next evening with them on a whim...

·
Registered
272 Posts
i think it good meeting new people and then spending a day with them on a whim

and i dont know if it because im an ISTJ but i have no problem controlling myself and i have ADHD + anxiety trouble

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have a lot of impulse control issues. It is possible that it is a pysch disorder. I know mine is related to my psych diagnosis of borderline personality. I guess the big question is what KIND of impulse control issues you have.

Look up DBT therapy if you are interested. It has a great techniques (that you can practice yourself, it's not really necessary you get a therapist if your issues do not require it. It is actually based on Buddhist techniques/teachings) for stopping to think before you act.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Yesterday I walked into a department store and bought a $200 quilt.

Then I walked out and looked up the return policies on my phone and returned it.

That's all I need to say about my impulses xD

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think it good meeting new people and then spending a day with them on a whim

and i dont know if it because im an ISTJ but i have no problem controlling myself and i have ADHD + anxiety trouble
That's what I dreamt last night! I dreamt that I had been diagnosed with ADHD! Then I had to argue with them that it's not it's just ADD... Thanks, that has been bugging me all morning!

It's probably the whole TJ thing... Far less easy to act on a whim if you actually make decisions by thinking...

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm so much better right now controlling myself than I was a yr ago. My 1st solution is using another ENFP issue to deal with this: distraction. Whenever I feel like I want something so bad and I wanna do it, I use another thing to keep me away long enough until I don't think about that and dont find it important anymore.

Now I have a better Fi and Te so i dont use that distraction much :proud:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a tip, avoid temptations.
Every time you have to refuse yourself something you are tempted by, it takes energy from a limited reserve.
Once the reserve is empty, you won't be able to resist.

Ways to fill the reserve is sleep, rest, relaxing, ...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have problems with having my head explore a situation to the point where I want to "try it out". The problem with this is I most often do this with career choices, which you simply cannot just "try it out".

Like today, I was discussing with my friends that a lot of my career assessments and inventories say that I should be a doctor, and I don't think I'd mind being a doctor, but I have a ridiculously weak stomach when it comes to gory things and sick people... two of the main things doctors deal with. However, I still fancied the thought, and during Human Evolution today, we talked about molecular biology. Immediately, I thought, "I could be in biotechnology! It's all the theory with none of the sick people!" However, I shortly realized that I quite hate and suck at chemistry, which is the fundamental study of bio-anything engineering. My impulse says, "Just try it!", but my brain rationalizes why that's probably not such a good idea, especially as at a US University.

Reactions: Danse Macabre

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I'm quite lousy at controlling my impulses, and I'll readily admit it.

Reactions: Danse Macabre
1 - 12 of 12 Posts