Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever have the mood come over you to just pack and take off within a couple of hours? Let's pretend all the responsibilities and prior plans would not stop you from doing it. Where would you go? Or would you possibly just start driving down the road/go to the airport, etc. and just see where the day takes you?

This comes over me every once in a while and right now I have the desire to just climb in the car with a small bag, pick up my wife and just make a decision at every crossroad and see where we end up in a day or two.

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
I love road trips. But then, it's not my job or anything. And yeah, we generally google along the way if we see a sign for an attraction that looks weird/interesting. You know, like a waterfall or caves, or better yet, a waterfall in a cave. That was the last thing we got a hotel for to pull off and see.

Another time, there was this quaint little restaurant in the Midwest where we could see, from the road, people eating outdoors in a field. It seemed like a good omen, so we stopped there, and when the sun went down, there were fireflies everywhere. It was one of the most magical dinners I ever had, and it totally wouldn't have happened if we weren't impulsive.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I was daydreaming at these actually today:

But dreams be dreams, Jack Johnson.

Although, yes, I do find it a lot less stressful to follow through last minute impulses. I can see myself doing something like that some day. Planned events are burdens to freedom - and a lack of makes me uneasy.

·
Registered
INTP
4,414 Posts
Ever have the mood come over you to just pack and take off within a couple of hours? Let's pretend all the responsibilities and prior plans would not stop you from doing it. Where would you go? Or would you possibly just start driving down the road/go to the airport, etc. and just see where the day takes you?

This comes over me every once in a while and right now I have the desire to just climb in the car with a small bag, pick up my wife and just make a decision at every crossroad and see where we end up in a day or two.
When I was young I used to do this all the time. Now I don't have enough energy left over after I finish work and other responsibilities. Also, such adventures don't have the same appeal as one matures.

I do hope to do similar things again after I retire. Only my "adventures" won't be quite so open ended as they used to be. I used to just take off and never come back, or at least not come back when I was supposed to. Now I have stricter parameters, like "explore northern tip of island" or "walk for 2 hours and then turn around and come home."

My ISTP bf is very much into getting lost and being surprised, and he explores unmapped trails and submits them to Google Maps. Drives me nuts when I go with him, cuz I'm worrying about my knees, potable water, getting home before dark, etc.

·
Registered
ISTP
1,207 Posts
Do this all the time and call it "life". I will confirm it is not entirely destructive :3

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@DarkBarlow What would cure me of this? I'm not sure I want it cured, just want to do it more often.
@Eryngo That is cool. I grew up in the midwest with fireflies being common a certain time of year. Realize how much I took it for granted now.

Last time I came close to this was years ago. Had a week off and only planned the first stop, Canyon de Chelle. Ended up driving in a round about route crossing back and forth to the next place somebody mentioned that caught my interest, but it was also the most free feeling trip I ever took. Me, the guy scared of heights, ended up getting the impulse to free climb up a shallow chimney in one of the flaky stone spires in Bryce Canyon and sitting up at the top looking down as people passed by not even seeing me up there. Saw so much that trip, in many places I did not even know existed before I started out.
@NipNip Love the scenery. I do get this desire to see different cultures, especially if they have a long deep history. If the region around Turkey was a little safer would love to see some of that.

But gots plans tommorrow, and both me and wife gots to be back at work on monday, so some other time.

·
Registered
ISTP
1,207 Posts
But gots plans tommorrow, and both me and wife gots to be back at work on monday, so some other time.
Some other time you're also dead. Do what you want; that keeps the list of things you always wanted to do nice and empty.
@islandlight : Aww, stop worrying. Let go and jump, there's nothing there to fear. Whatever happens, you have the moment, you always will. What more do you need? :)

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some other time you're also dead. Do what you want; that keeps the list of things you always wanted to do nice and empty.
I know I may die tomorrow. And if so I've lived. It's not that I've never done anything. Seen a lot of this region of the U.S., ran with the bulls in Espana, sky dived a couple of times, etc. just been a while and have not just taken off without a direction which has been a big craving lately. I'm guessing that means my life has been too regimented lately. It will come soon.

·
Registered
INTP
4,414 Posts
@islandlight : Aww, stop worrying. Let go and jump, there's nothing there to fear. Whatever happens, you have the moment, you always will. What more do you need? :)
Thanks but. . . . my health situation is kind of high maintenance, and I'm on call at work 7 days a week, so I can't get too lost.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@srgwriter

5,000 miles/week until you beg for home time.

Yeah, For a while traveled a lot for work usually 3-4 days a week, 3 times a month. I got to see some places I hadn't before, but I did not get to enjoy it much, always being on a schedule. Left that job after a year and a half. Killed my urge to travel much for a while, plus was at my unhealthiest of my adult life. But it's a lot different when I'm doing it outside of work, have enjoyed my occasional travels. Plus I have no illusions of thinking I'm a guy that could be constantly traveling. Like a homebase too much. That being said, the getaway to "we'll see where end up" is something that's coming in the near future, and hopefully a few times a year.

·
Infractionated
I drive a blue tricycle with a gold bell.
8,604 Posts
Ugh. I've got a sure fire way to cure you of this.
I may need your help. I have this problem and I give in. Last year today I was in Iceland by myself sipping a drink and floating in the blue lagoon. It was glorious.

I knew I was flying anyway I just didn't take no for an answer and figured out a way I could spend at least 24 hours in Iceland on my way and figured out how to do it cheaper than a no stop flight. While this example isn't so bad as I managed to save money and do what I wanted, I'll be honest - it usually doesn't go that way.

Pif recently had to talk me out of a road trip to the Sweedish Lapland where we'd sleep on a literal slab of ice.... He traded me a vacation to Malta Instead.

But when I decide I want to do something I basically obsess and end up scheming like a crazy person until I figure out a way to make it happen. Adderall is the only thing that's helped minimize these urges.

·
Infractionated
8,604 Posts
I love road trips. But then, it's not my job or anything. And yeah, we generally google along the way if we see a sign for an attraction that looks weird/interesting. You know, like a waterfall or caves, or better yet, a waterfall in a cave. That was the last thing we got a hotel for to pull off and see.

Another time, there was this quaint little restaurant in the Midwest where we could see, from the road, people eating outdoors in a field. It seemed like a good omen, so we stopped there, and when the sun went down, there were fireflies everywhere. It was one of the most magical dinners I ever had, and it totally wouldn't have happened if we weren't impulsive.
This reminds me of the plot to American Gods.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I may need your help. I have this problem and I give in. Last year today I was in Iceland by myself sipping a drink and floating in the blue lagoon. It was glorious.

I knew I was flying anyway I just didn't take no for an answer and figured out a way I could spend at least 24 hours in Iceland on my way and figured out how to do it cheaper than a no stop flight. While this example isn't so bad as I managed to save money and do what I wanted, I'll be honest - it usually doesn't go that way.

Pif recently had to talk me out of a road trip to the Sweedish Lapland where we'd sleep on a literal slab of ice.... He traded me a vacation to Malta Instead.

But when I decide I want to do something I basically obsess and end up scheming like a crazy person until I figure out a way to make it happen. Adderall is the only thing that's helped minimize these urges.
Oh, there's no curing you.

·
Infractionated
8,604 Posts
It's not a matter of other people, more one of recognizing a fool's errand for what it is.
Lol. :) Its not though. About 20-30 mg of Adderall does the trick. I just need to be sadated.

Besides...think of all the fun you'd have trying. We could be like Batman and Joker.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Lol. :) Its not though. About 20-30 mg of Adderall does the trick. I just need to be sadated.

Besides...think of all the fun you'd have trying. We could be like Batman and Joker.
Maybe. There really is more fun to be had at home you know. Just yesterday I made Reubens and one of my trees fell on a neighbor's house.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts