Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you feel like when you go to the library? Describe. I will too after I hear some of you.

Reactions: strawberryLola

·
Registered
ENFP
33 Posts
Honestly overwhelmed of all the books but if not actually in the library to get a book and just to read I love them. It’s a peaceful quiet place that makes me feel focused. When I do find a book I feel like it was meant for me and I just love holding books and smelling them. I’m not a big reader but do enjoy libraries. My favorite ones are thrift stores with only books were the books had a past and are old. Also one library near me have cats so it’s pretty cool :) -enfp

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5 sp/so
1,601 Posts
At peace, content, can get lost without actually being lost and yet still feel like you are right where you belong. It's a sensory smorgasbord. The feeling of the texture of the covers. The scent of the pages. The sound of pages turned and light thumps of air escaping between book jackets as they are gathered together. The sight of book jacket craftsmanship. The colors used, the illustrations. It's metaphorical multidimensional travel without having to leave home.

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
Amuse - intrigue yet comforted . I feel like my brain /life can be view as like a library lots of discoveries, information, history , current events , facts , randomness , chapters, genres , memories ( long term , short term or current ) , thoughts appearing all at once . Fictional and nonfictional characters and stories playing or conversing nonstop with one another - a source of information that travels everywhere with me as I go with light music on the background. Guess that’s the first thing that popped into my mind when I think and reflect about how I feel at a library . I feel at home .

But to answer your question- I feel a sense of curiosity yet familiarity when visiting a library , a mixture of excitement and comfort all at once. What will i discover today - will it be something new that will captivate my mind or am I taking a walk down memory lane ? Am I in the mood to read and escape into my imagination or research and learn more about something that I’m confused about . If I’m going alone I could easily be lost in the library for hours bc I do enjoy hiding in a corner reading a book and oddly enough I enjoy sitting there to write - whether it’s journaling about facts that I’ve learned about , collecting poems and quotes or indulging into creative writing . I guess the best word to describe how I feel would be “discoveries” I always discover something new when I’m in a library - whether it’s something I’ve never heard of before or a remembering something that I’ve forgotten about long ago :)

Ok we’re all waiting for your answers now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
ENFP-A 359 sp/sx
1,310 Posts
I love libraries... perhaps even that is an understatement.
For one, I've been working at one for almost 3.5 years, at this point; I've volunteered there since age 14ish.
BC (Before Corona) I used to spend nearly all day, every day there, to study in a corner with my laptop and textbooks.
The majority of my college coursework has been online, since I started. I actually find my own space far more distracting than a public arena
with background noise, others meandering about & chatting, etc.
It feels wonderful to be on my own, at peace, genuinely focused on the task at hand--away from my family and out in public.
Good lord, how much of a relief it is. For some reason I feel less stifled and more centered/"in-the-zone"...
The need to "perform" is lifted, and I can compartmentalize easier... home/family/emotional subjects are left at home.
And I do appreciate the variety/opportunity of materials & subject matter there, but that's a lesser reason.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I love libraries, but prefer the concept of libraries as an archive of knowledge rather than as communal spaces for exchanging knowledge. It comes across as elitist, I know. I find categorization interesting because it shows how knowledge and thinking often overlaps. If a book is deliberately placed in a different section apart from the rest of the author's work, it shows a potentially robust system of categorization that also allows for a dynamic and deliberate intervention on the part of the librarian to have done so. I like working at libraries provided that it is quiet and others are dedicated to the same task of solitude and research.

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,207 Posts
What do you feel like when you go to the library? Describe. I will too after I hear some of you.
Realistically, just look for movies or in the war history section. I get told to be quiet sometimes if I meet someone and get enthusiastic (RE: loud).

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,865 Posts
It's always a religious experience. The smell of the books, the rows of shelves, the promise of imagination and knowledge. I love libraries. I've seen the Sistine Chapel. I'd rather be in a library any day.

I was very sick as a child and one of the few things me and my mom could do to make me feel better was to read the same children's books over and over again until I had them memorized.
I would actually hold them and "read" them. They made me feel safe and secure. As I got older, it turned out I had ADHD before that became a "thing." The only thing that really caught me attention and made me sit still was stories. Once I learned how to read, that was the one thing my mom knew she could do to get me to sit still and calm down, so she nearly always dropped a book on me when we got stuck in an airport, or whatever. Whenever I got in trouble and got grounded, I made sure to go to the library and take out a stack of books that I would read that night and I'd turn them back in for new ones the next day. By the time I was in Junior High, I was tested as having a college-level reading comprehension skill (98th percentile in my school. My math skills were in the 28th percentile). Anyway, I'm still an avid reader. I have read 127 books so far this year.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@tanstaafl28 127 is my Enneagram tritype (blush). Lol. Bravo! That’s awesome! What was the best book so far this year?

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 594
739 Posts
I don't generally like to read for the sake of reading, I just end up getting bored. So if I go to libraries, I mainly just go there to study, or to do some work.

But even then, I tend to prefer doing my work inside the local coffee shop, a restaurant or the mall.
I don't know, I just prefer background noise instead of dead silence. The library is often just too quiet for me.
In a coffee shop, I generally just put on some headphones so people don't talk to me, and I find I get a lot more work done that way.

Reactions: Llyralen

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
One particularly stressful day as a manager I drove to our little bit wonderful town library for lunch and when I cut the engine I sat there realizing that I was immediately breathing deeper, Im sure my blood pressure dropped several points and that was just in the parking lot!

The library has always been a wonderful place! Ours here has a fireplace with comfortable high backed chairs and a tile mosaic of our Northwest tribal art depicting beautifully our resident whales.

When I get in the library I’m filled with a calm excitement. I look for my favorite authors first. Does the librarian know about my author? Do they secretly adore my authors too? Do they have the body of their work and is there a new one? Then I start picking up books I’ve never seen or heard of on display leafing through cover synopsises and first chapters until I feel filled and delighted to find one that I think is really good, that makes me want to live in the character’s life.

Then I go looking for my special interests, seeing what this library has. Usually I just lay down on the floor between shelves and hug the books to me.

Growing up walking home from middle school I’d stop at my home town’s library most every day, even longer if it was raining, and I had read pretty much everything in the young adult section but there was also usually something new, or something old that I wanted to re-read and savor. How many books did I read right there? I remember my first sexual awakening actually happened through books. There I was on the library floor reading about ardent men and beautiful women and feeling tension and joy flood my body in a way it had never before.

When I was in college, I could never understand how I would have almost the entire floor of dusty fictional literature to myself. Floor 5. I would sit down on the floor right where I would find a new book. I read all of Out Of Africa in stints every day in between my science classes, I read the entire book there without ever checking it out and just savored all of Karen Blixsen’s words “I had a farm in Africa in the shadow of the Nagong valley”. Our college library had a particular good collection of foreign classics and foreign books of all sorts and also of pioneer dairies. I noticed that often I was the first person to read a book in over 100 years.

The library is a place where each book is a windows to another world. The library is like traveling to any place and through all times and into the hearts of people I never knew but that teach me— profoundly— that I am human too.

And I love this thread! Much appreciation for each experience and sentiment already written! ❤ to anyone with a kindred soul towards libraries! And also ❤ to those with other experiences too.

·
Beer Guardian
15,865 Posts
@tanstaafl28 127 is my Enneagram tritype (blush). Lol. Bravo! That’s awesome! What was the best book so far this year?
"Ahsoka," by E.K. Johnston stands out. Also a really good bio on Alan Turing. I'm thinking about reading Grant's memoirs. It has been in my library for a time and I've not picked it up.

·
Beer Guardian
15,865 Posts
One particularly stressful day as a manager I drove to our little bit wonderful town library for lunch and when I cut the engine I sat there realizing that I was immediately breathing deeper, Im sure my blood pressure dropped several points and that was just in the parking lot!

The library has always been a wonderful place! Ours here has a fireplace with comfortable high backed chairs and a tile mosaic of our Northwest tribal art depicting beautifully our resident whales.

When I get in the library I’m filled with a calm excitement. I look for my favorite authors first. Does the librarian know about my author? Do they secretly adore my authors too? Do they have the body of their work and is there a new one? Then I start picking up books I’ve never seen or heard of on display leafing through cover synopsises and first chapters until I feel filled and delighted to find one that I think is really good, that makes me want to live in the character’s life.

Then I go looking for my special interests, seeing what this library has. Usually I just lay down on the floor between shelves and hug the books to me.

Growing up walking home from middle school I’d stop at my home town’s library most every day, even longer if it was raining, and I had read pretty much everything in the young adult section but there was also usually something new, or something old that I wanted to re-read and savor. How many books did I read right there? I remember my first sexual awakening actually happened through books. There I was on the library floor reading about ardent men and beautiful women and feeling tension and joy flood my body in a way it had never before.

When I was in college, I could never understand how I would have almost the entire floor of dusty fictional literature to myself. Floor 5. I would sit down on the floor right where I would find a new book. I read all of Out Of Africa in stints every day in between my science classes, I read the entire book there without ever checking it out and just savored all of Karen Blixsen’s words “I had a farm in Africa in the shadow of the Nagong valley”. Our college library had a particular good collection of foreign classics and foreign books of all sorts and also of pioneer dairies. I noticed that often I was the first person to read a book in over 100 years.

The library is a place where each book is a windows to another world. The library is like traveling to any place and through all times and into the hearts of people I never knew but that teach me— profoundly— that I am human too.

And I love this thread! Much appreciation for each experience and sentiment already written! ❤ to anyone with a kindred soul towards libraries! And also ❤ to those with other experiences too.
You prose is wonderful. I'm a fan.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I feel like I've finally come home.. Library have always felt like a place of refuge to me, and I always managed to gain a bunch of new insights about life just by reading some of the books in the library.

Have you ever felt really despair about life, and then you read a book and the writer of the book seemed to really understand where you're coming from, and you suddenly find yourself feeling that you aren't alone anymore?

I remembered there was one time when I got really depressed about life, so I went to the library and looked for a book about depression. This writer totally understood where I came from! She wrote about her depression in the book, she mentioned about how her parents as well as the people around her often had high expectations toward her and she was being forced to focus on a bunch of academic and professional achievements ever since young, she mentioned about how she has everything in life, yet she is still unhappy. She wrote about how she has a stable career and is highly successful in her career yet and has even met the love of her life and has gotten married to him yet she is still feeling emotionally empty, like something is missing from her life.
And it turns out that her depression stems from having moved from places to places for her career ever since young, and when a person moves from places to places without staying at a place for too long, they would start losing their identity, and this is where her depression came from, not staying at a place long enough to establish an identity.

Another thing she wrote about in the book is that she would overcome her depression by collecting a bunch of stuffed teddies, and then she would give each of her stuffed teddies their own names and personalities, and then she would try to roleplay the interesting lives of those stuffed teddies, like one of her stuffed teddy is a sailor, and then another of her stuffed teddy is a rich businessman etc, and then she would imagine herself living the interesting lives of her stuffed teddies, and this is how she managed to overcome her depression.

So yeah, those books are really inspiring to me. Those books had taught me how to deal with the trials and tribulations of life, it had taught me how to view life through a different perspective, and it has also taught me all the different things that I could do to improve my life etc.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Reactions: tanstaafl28

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Schizoid
A great tribute to the healing and life-changing abilities of books! What would I be without them? Honestly I would have gone nuts and felt so alone and I’m not even sure I could be who I am now without them.
I saw an article a few years ago about “book therapy” There are some websites about it too.

Reactions: Schizoid

·
Registered
A Constant Riddle
167 Posts
When I step into a library, my heart feels cocooned in the most beautiful light, a dazzling thrill of amazement. I have entered a sacred abyss where thousands of worlds await me at my fingertips. I feel at home and far away at once. The beautiful tapestry of stories spellbinds me, and I feel I could get lost in the shelves forever. My heart hums and skips and dances all at once. I feel like the entire world has closed in on me. I feel safe. The dangers and pains of the outside world all vanish, and thousands of my best friends welcome me. I can be liberated, I can be free. A thousand tears glimmer in my heart. I want to rush through the aisles and have an intimate conversation with every book. I want to place every novel on the shelf of my heart, in the open spaces. The titles mesmerize me. I touch the covers and feel childlike awe. My eyes are roaming everywhere all at once, because there is so much beauty to behold, but I can't contain it. I wish I could live there forever, shrouded in this paradise where I belong, immortalized in the pages, safe and released. I wish I could live in this little pocket of heaven where I can escape from the blighting pain of who I am, lost in the autumnal warmth of this palace of words, words that know me in a way that flesh and blood cannot. I feel so transcend, illuminated, alive. So welcome. So at home.

I'm not sure what my type is, but I wanted to share because the library is something very, very special to me. It absolves me of my darkness and inspires a very rare but beautiful sense of life.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@glittercloud. You’re definitely with kindred spirits in this thread. I’m so glad you shared your great love for libraries with us!

·
Registered
INFJ
5,832 Posts
I start with fiction:
What's new? Anything nichey? Do they have any of the Foundation books? Any good novels about robots or something?
Hmmm looks interesting, but will I REALLY read it?
Yeah, It'll probably be left with only 10 pages read,despite the fact that I'll probably renew it 3 times...
So I move on to the comic book section. I page through the same Superman anthology I paged through dozens of times, but it's to pass the time. I page through the avengers and the Incredible Hulk. Hey look, it's the whole Scott Pilgrim series.
I then proceed to technology books. These books are all outdated. Why do I even look for programming books at the library when I've already learned the fundamentals of these languages online?
So then I move to the literature section...wondering why the literature section is separate from the fiction section. I look at A La Recharder du Temps Perdu fifty times, and even read the first chapter about Proust's mommy issues, but I think "If I don't think I'm going to get through a regular novel, do I really think I'll get through this series?"
Then I realize that all these books are available on Project Gutenberg and move on.
Then I move to History, and here I will spend the next couple of hours:
Hmmm, what am I in the mood to learn today? History of Japan? Ancient China? Medieval times? The Rennaissance? Ancient Rome? Maybe I should try something really exotic, as in something I know little about. Here's the history of Africa: but how do you outline the history of an entire continent which contains over 50 countries in a book less than 1000 pages long???
I spend some time in biographies, but much of the rest of the time I spend paging through math books, thinking I could probably learn this subject better through youtube videos.
Then it's just about time to go home having enjoyed my day at the library, and having decided that the book I wanted to check out was this ancient history book, a graphic novel about Ada Lovelace and some interesting looking novel by some lesser known Japanese author that I'll probably finish halfway, but still feel excited about my finds because of all the knowledge that I gain that I didn't know together which will feed my constantly famished imagination, which is constantly craving new inspiration.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts