Personality Cafe banner

In-battle function analysis

41K views 75 replies 39 participants last post by  Myjazz 
#1 ·
Ni, there is no other process i would rely on, as much. There is no mind as calmed and focused as an Ni mind which is pre-aware of what might happen, specially in out of context battles. If you don't intuitively understand the essence of fight, then you will probably lose, being trapped in the over-analysis of the battle and battlefield, knowing somehow there is no real constant while fighting. I'm thinking Se and Ti might be good functions to train for combat, but Ni is the one which will be active during the fight.

I'm thinking Ni would prepare for a fight developing evasion, and precision as the result of it's capacity to quickly and suddenly conceive future possible events. It will study the body and terrain of both itself and the adversary.
Ni might as well not use brute force but direct it's speed and concentration towards sensible/lethal points to end the fight quickly.
The other thing about Ni is, it is very difficult for it to be fooled, since the user would have to fool itself, or it's internal master and mystical matrix would have to understood by the adversary to be somehow violated, which isn't even evident for the Ni itself; so it's hard to lead it to fall into a trap.

Against Ne.- Knowing how to use the terrain is a very useful ability. This creativity to where to go, how to move, in order to gather different attacking options, makes the Ne a great Offensive player.
As a defensive one it is merely weak, because the Ne cannot creatively wait hidden in the perfect place for the Ni to attack, since Ni understands the world similar to Ne and will be very cautious moving. At some point provoking Ne to fall into its' own trap. Ne looks for options and is continuously finding alternative plans. Ni is concentrated in winning the fight itself and not in the possibilities of how to win it. the framework of Ni, gives it what it need when it need it.

Against Se.- Se means hardcore developed senses and might be even better at using the terrain in an intense manner. Se would fight much more instinctively blowing fierce punches taking chances as they appear and might be much more direct and hasty. It is also a great offensive player, but this kind of adrenaline rush if weak for defense. A merely not obvious strategy will be more then enough to fool Se into follow it's steps to instinctively react and lose position of advantage. For example Se would never lose an attempt of attacking from the back; It is intelligent and not so well seen, still very effective.
Se will be winning, not, if Se is to hasten against Ni, because waiting for a resilient moment and merging with their obvious approach is easy for the Ni to follow.

Against Te.- Te might be difficult to defeat. It would be constructing creative logic interconnections while fighting and developing during combat as it understands better the way the adversary works. Then there might come an arbitrary solution to Te's mind, which is very unpredictable and intense planned.
Ni's best chance to beat Te is to direct attention to the Te's way of planning. Ni will concentrate towards the stile of fighting the Te has, and will rapidly notice Te is applying random attacks to force Ni's into following similar situations, to react and find congruence in Ni's way of working. This could become useful for the Ni, actively directing Te towards false solutions and messing with their way.

Against Fe.- Fe is empathetic, so initially it might be very difficult for Fe to force itself into a fight, then again Fe is great at defense because Fe understands how people feel at the moment and how this could develop into aggression. So Fe would rarely attack, only if compromised to a peculiar situation involving others. Their concentration then may be lethal. Then again Ni understands Fe will attack prompt and accurately leaving them carelessly easy to be knocked back.
Fe's weakness it's empathy while fighting, it won't be as deadly and will be a noble fighter. Emotionally reacting for the Fe lead it into losing focus on the target.

Against Fi.- Fi might as well sacrifice itself for the better cause. So it would fight idealistically and might be somehow pumped up by its own sense of following the right path and keep on until it is worn out.
Ni might then keep on evading intense attacks from Fi and lure them into some controversial terrain, like some place that compromises Fi to fight (like a Kindergarten :tongue:).
Fi's weakness is it's well defined sense of right and wrong, it becomes less voluble and looses chances as they come.

Against Ti .- Ti is efficient and deliberate. So it will probably have worked out an excellent location to fight, something somewhat familiar. Ti is the fighter who has done it's homework, so it will have many variables though out, sequence plans, and will be great at identifying how Ni's way is based in some malleable frame.
Ni best way of defeating Ti, is being not as congruent. Random patterns are familiar language for Ni users, so what about launching actions following the random factor of Ni. Ti can't foresee inconsistent events, and by trying this will be leaving itself into a chance factor which might as well not be infinite.
Ti's weakness is it's predictable rationality; Ti can't work if there aren't contexts to mix in order to develop a solution. Finding a pattern in Ni's behavior is most impossible, thus leaving Ti confused and disoriented.

Against Si.- Si is conservative but practical. Would make not a common attack but resist to start any offensive move until having gathered enough evidence of an easy way to attack. Si is also very ingenious, it will be concise in it's actions.
But Si also unaware telegraphs it's attacks. Ni leads Si into an apparent chance to deliver a good and easy blow, in a step by step process; Si takes the opportunity and attacks moving with caution, this makes it slower and easy to read for Ni and others.
Basically Si's geniality dies in the obvious; it will concentrate so much on experience, that it's way becomes evident for most any other function.

In conclusion Ni works as a mirror wall, that intuitively and quickly understands it's enemy, generating different solutions for each situation. Ni could fight anyone, without previous data or information, it can read the target's way subconsciously and act as it is needed during the fight.

See less See more
#5 ·
Good job! Stickied!:laughing:

#6 ·
It is Ironic really, but describing the functionality of Ni for me does not seem essential. Apart from giving too much away, I have learned through about 7 years of Ninpo, that in a combat situation, the Ni knowing combines nicely with the Se inferior of the INTJ types in combat situations.

Physical power can only be harnessed effectively if one has the paramount calm/assurance of a strong intuition. From the first four training sessions when I was 14 approximately. The training came naturally to me. No grappling, plenty evasion and all the timing and repositioning became less neccessary over time. I got the sparring nick name 'death strike'. Along with the scornful criticism of my sensei. How it normally works is, rather than acknowledge intent, intuition encapsulates the characteristics of the opponents fighting style, weak points, pressure points and general mobility.

On one occasion my sensei decided to try "disciplining" me to adhere to fighting styles. To which I responded, "One of the lessons you thought me was to remember convention does not apply in a programme of combat". In the sparring match I acknowled that I was not as fast as sensei D. I needed to reassess my position. When he lunged, I dodged, when he Tsuke-d I Hime-d, and instead of attempting to block or evade, I changed my position once, putting him out of line with his centre of gravity. This caused him to buckle, so I Hime-d his throat, by aligning my hand with his falling neck.
Considering it was a spar, I had to grab his shoulder to hold him back.

What I am saying, is that my intuition was aware of the limits to his movements, the combinations possible within the situation and how to otherwise adapt rapidly to each assault. The conclusiveness of the most effective method just came naturally, with my Se running the events to my intuition, and my intuition narrowing down the options to the correct action. Pre-consciously of course. If I had used Te, it would have been a matter of moves less. Luckily, Te has become developed in the past few years along with training.

Ni has a benefit of being adaptive, but better still it condenses the calculative process into a rapid and passive function.

#7 ·
Biased.

Just Kidding, even though it does seem a bit biased. I still believe that Ne-Ti would kick Ni-Te's ass.

#13 ·
This would also depend on the settings and which side has the advantage if thrown directly into a street fight with no time to prepare then Ni and Ti are pretty much useless while Ne and Te are at their best. If you have time to prepare then the battle would be between Ti and Ni, but I can harness all four functions!

#21 ·
I believe it would be interesting to see a Ne and Ni fight it out. I believe that would be that only true way of knowing what will happen, because if the Ne sees the path and the Ni sees the answer. Then the Ne could easily change part of the path to get to a different answer, and the Ni would see that answer and then back and forth back and forth. That would be one hell of a battle.

To answer your other question. No I don't believe it's the functions you choose to show. I believe you are born with dominate functions, sometimes borderline dominate, but you can strengthen all your functions.

#22 ·
It would surely be interesting.
Once i was thinking about how Jung understood there had to be a mix of introverted-extroverted functions to achieve a congruential typology. How would it be to have something like a primary Te supported by both Ni and Ne?

Oh right, i believe your preferences depend most absolutely to the way you are raised. It's not you have been born with a Totally Ti personality... I know your primary function develops while being a child. But when you are that young you don't really have so much insight to understand how you are behaving.
So you will deliver to the world a solution to be safe and content. Normally you choose this by noticing how your parents and friends react towards your actions. This really depends on how much you interact with them.

I remember the day when i first noticed my internal dialogue going on. I was 2 or 3 years old and suddenly i became aware of time. I know how before it i had experienced everything as if it had just happened. I was very intrigued and confused, i was asking myself what was that thing that would show me through "images" in my mind other things that had happened. Later on i would call it memory :tongue:

#23 ·
I agree with that, my dad is a ESTP and I'm sure he has taught and strengthened my Se.

#32 · (Edited)
Ni is the most useless of the functions......it is like the pinky toe.....lose it and it ain't no big deal

And as for combat and Ni.....a complete joke to say it has great influence or impact

Introverted intuition (Ni): Attracted to symbolic actions or devices, Ni synthesizes seeming paradoxes to create the previously unimagined. These realizations come with a certainty that demands action to fulfill a new vision of the future, solutions that may include complex systems or universal truths

Wiki
How the fuck are you going to beat someone up with the Ni goofyness running the show in your mind?

Sartereality has a few excellent threads that should be made stickys

What a silly thread to make a sticky

#36 · (Edited)
Actually I have known one guy that has taken out multiple opponents. Chris Peak, a veteran MMA fighter and my past coach.

He told the following story the next day.

Drunks in a bar parking lot yelling and escalating till they threw a beer bottle at the car he was in. He got out of the car and the most aggressive of the three stepped up.....Chris went straight ahead with a basic left jab right cross combo.....the guy dropped......second guy stepped up and Chris again dropped him with a left jab right cross combo.....third guy followed closely behind and was dropped in the same fashion

Se Ti and lights out

No Ne needed (though very usefull)

And Ni was somewhere deep in the back of the brain..... playing with puzzles ......and had no idea what had gone down..... though later Ni would attempt a lame brain connection that was quickly dismissed by Se and Ti and he was given noogies and a wedgie as a parting gift on his way back to the back of the brain

Reactions: Sava Solarov
#37 ·
The only thing I need functioning to win a battle is a glock 17.

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him."
-Mark Twain

#39 ·
Then you have wasted an entire clip on one enemy and the others take you down

Silly rabbit

Zombieland double tap rule

#43 ·
Glad you missed me

As for the bannings, little people have been given new powers, the end result is predictable

#46 · (Edited)
Ni will of course stomp all the other functions in fighting in the long run, but for the short run it will be as useless as Fe. This is becuase Ni being an introverted data processing function relies on memory. An soldier using Ni could become extremely good at what he does with the proper training if there are realistic battle simulations and whatnot.

Si would also be useful being the other introverted data processing function... though there is no connection between Si, so it would develop more slowly, since Si is only building facts not using them to formulate theories. In the long run, Si could be better for a highly specialized task, though less adaptable.

On the other hand, in the short run, Se would win. Let's say you're a terrorist with no real training. If you rely on Ni, you'll just get killed before that function ever becomes useful. If you rely on Se, you'll be able to react quickly enough, and have a better chance of surviving.

I would recommend using Se for combat tasks whenever you have no experience, and storing for Ni and Si during training. Eventually, switching over to Ni in real combat situations, and using Si once Ni has fully built a certain system, but switching back to Ni if anything new comes up. Of course, this is mostly theoretical as no type is adept at using Si and Ni (since they mostly serve the same purpose, though they use different methods).

As for Fi, I don't think this is a bad function in battle. Fi will help one go back and reassess their goals. This way, you won't end up winning the battle, but losing out on what is really important, maybe losing the war... the point is there are other factors to consider than the actual combat. Yes, it will hurt that, but being a mindless killing machine is not the best goal. So, it's a good function BECAUSE it's a bad function XD

#49 ·
It depend on how good was the quality of the person. For example a heavy experienced Si, will be very hard to handle. He can read the Ni random tactic because he has seen that tactic before (Ni just think it random, but actually it was code attack no36). Or a trained Fi that idealize the art of combat, will be hard to deal (Since he have a complicated good and bad values) . Se could have fast response to a trap.

However..

Hey, what children could get hurt I resign.. I resign..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.