Personality Cafe banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts
I can't follow your words much because you are writing from your N and it doesn't make much sense to me.
However, I will contribute a little on the S side.

In your fight scenario you are right about the N functions for some kind of epic warrior hero fighter. But most wars (in all possible scenarios including Sci Fi and Fantasy) have actually been not so much about epic warrior hero fights but a combination of long periods of extreme boredom and uncertainty waiting for action and short periods of extreme fear, stress and confusion being in the middle of you don't know what just trying to survive.
A few Ns are needed for strategy and for champions, perhaps that's why most great military leaders in all ages have been champions in personal combat too. But the vast majority of an army needs to be made of Ss; especially ESTJs and ISTJs; because these types are stable and reliable in crisis, they are less likely to go crazy when confused or facing probable death. Also we are common male types, and therefore form the majority of any conscripted army anyway.
In modern wars; the ability to keep your nerve when you don't know if you are about to be blown up without warning is crucial.
In early modern wars; the ability to hold ground when deafened by explosions was crucial.
In colonial era wars; the ability to move and fire on command (and not before) was crucial.
In early colonial wars; the ability to load tricky muskets under pressure of immanent death was crucial.
In mediaeval wars; knights were quickly obsolete when well disciplined professional armies started using pikes and crossbows, which require no intuition, just strong nerve and determination.
In ancient wars; the Romans beat armies that were better as individual warriors but the determination, discipline and consistency of the Roman army always won in the end, until it was turned on itself.

There is a reason why military jobs are recommended for ISTJs (and probably ESTJs), they are simply a lot more useful most of the time than a Rambo N user.
But I would quickly reiterate that in personal combat I suspect that SJs are some of the worst. I partly base this on the fact that despite a long standing interest in martial combat, I get beaten by anybody that is really trying to win and has a bit of N or P, much to my embarrassment.
This is partly because I am more concerned about proper technique and over-think things and sometimes lack creativity and a real drive to win. When I am actually worked up it is a totally different story; I switch to N and P and win through sheer intuition, aggression and energy.
Conclusion: An army with Ns as officers (young officers are "champions" and old officers are strategists/commanders in a pre-modern context) who can fight and think well cold and Ss who take orders well and think well cold and fight well but don't think at all when worked up, would be the ultimate army.

Interesting. In most of my earlier matches from competitions, I would simply give in to Se and fight instinctively (Kickboxing and Taekwon-do). As I gained more experience I would plan in advance some possibilities. It never really worked out, so I had a "just fuck it" mentality. Nowadays I am trying to be more focused in the match and analyze (analyze the height of my opponent, his reach, do a few feints and see how he reacts, defensively, counter-attack etc.) But I still get into Se mode when I am overwhelmed. I agree that Ni is a great asset but only when you are completely calm. It is very difficult to calm yourself down to that extent sometimes.

In a match (not a war), even if Ni is working its magic, Se still has to be active to dodge, block and evade strikes.

So, I have to say that Se seems to be the most commonly used and useful function.

I can't follow your words much because you are writing from your N and it doesn't make much sense to me.
However, I will contribute a little on the S side.

In your fight scenario you are right about the N functions for some kind of epic warrior hero fighter. But most wars (in all possible scenarios including Sci Fi and Fantasy) have actually been not so much about epic warrior hero fights but a combination of long periods of extreme boredom and uncertainty waiting for action and short periods of extreme fear, stress and confusion being in the middle of you don't know what just trying to survive.
A few Ns are needed for strategy and for champions, perhaps that's why most great military leaders in all ages have been champions in personal combat too. But the vast majority of an army needs to be made of Ss; especially ESTJs and ISTJs; because these types are stable and reliable in crisis, they are less likely to go crazy when confused or facing probable death. Also we are common male types, and therefore form the majority of any conscripted army anyway.
In modern wars; the ability to keep your nerve when you don't know if you are about to be blown up without warning is crucial.
In early modern wars; the ability to hold ground when deafened by explosions was crucial.
In colonial era wars; the ability to move and fire on command (and not before) was crucial.
In early colonial wars; the ability to load tricky muskets under pressure of immanent death was crucial.
In mediaeval wars; knights were quickly obsolete when well disciplined professional armies started using pikes and crossbows, which require no intuition, just strong nerve and determination.
In ancient wars; the Romans beat armies that were better as individual warriors but the determination, discipline and consistency of the Roman army always won in the end, until it was turned on itself.

There is a reason why military jobs are recommended for ISTJs (and probably ESTJs), they are simply a lot more useful most of the time than a Rambo N user.
But I would quickly reiterate that in personal combat I suspect that SJs are some of the worst. I partly base this on the fact that despite a long standing interest in martial combat, I get beaten by anybody that is really trying to win and has a bit of N or P, much to my embarrassment.
This is partly because I am more concerned about proper technique and over-think things and sometimes lack creativity and a real drive to win. When I am actually worked up it is a totally different story; I switch to N and P and win through sheer intuition, aggression and energy.
Conclusion: An army with Ns as officers (young officers are "champions" and old officers are strategists/commanders in a pre-modern context) who can fight and think well cold and Ss who take orders well and think well cold and fight well but don't think at all when worked up, would be the ultimate army.
While you are right on a few notes, you are also wrong.

INFJ, ISFJ might fight much more ferociously than an ISTJ. They might feel like it is personal, that they have to defend everything to the point they might even get fanatic about it. Do you think an INFJ that is fighting for his family will cower away in fear?

Also, in modern wars, you need to get creative and find multiple possibilities. I could see an INTP being a really strong opponent due to his Ti - analyzing function and his Ne - multiple possibilities. An INTP would probably be one hell of a sniper, better than most other types.

Also, wars aren't all that simple. There are multiple roles to be played. There is a place for everyone lol.

Reactions: Daniel_James_Maher
While you are right on a few notes, you are also wrong.

INFJ, ISFJ might fight much more ferociously than an ISTJ. They might feel like it is personal, that they have to defend everything to the point they might even get fanatic about it. Do you think an INFJ that is fighting for his family will cower away in fear?

Also, in modern wars, you need to get creative and find multiple possibilities. I could see an INTP being a really strong opponent due to his Ti - analyzing function and his Ne - multiple possibilities. An INTP would probably be one hell of a sniper, better than most other types.

Also, wars aren't all that simple. There are multiple roles to be played. There is a place for everyone lol.
Lol, let's battle over it :p

Reactions: Noir
Against Si.- Si is conservative but practical. Would make not a common attack but resist to start any offensive move until having gathered enough evidence of an easy way to attack. Si is also very ingenious, it will be concise in it's actions. But Si also unaware telegraphs it's attacks. Ni leads Si into an apparent chance to deliver a good and easy blow, in a step by step process; Si takes the opportunity and attacks moving with caution, this makes it slower and easy to read for Ni and others. Basically Si's geniality dies in the obvious; it will concentrate so much on experience, that it's way becomes evident for most any other function.

In conclusion Ni works as a mirror wall, that intuitively and quickly understands it's enemy, generating different solutions for each situation. Ni could fight anyone, without previous data or information, it can read the target's way subconsciously and act as it is needed during the fight.
The OP underestimates the value of a well trained Si. An experienced and well trained Si fighter pilot isn't going to be an easy kill for an Ni one. I read somewhere that ESTJ is a common personality type for fighter pilots, it wouldn't surprise me. You need to be able to pay attention to details in the heat of the moment and act on it quickly with competence. That isn't necessarily a trait that Ni and Ne are known for.

In conclusion Ni works as a mirror wall, that intuitively and quickly understands it's enemy, generating different solutions for each situation. Ni could fight anyone, without previous data or information, it can read the target's way subconsciously and act as it is needed during the fight.

Wrong. Ni uses previous data to subconsciously predict the future. It isn't some sort of superpower Ni dominants wish to believe.

Also vs Fi
Fi would understand what Ni is doing using empathy. Thus defeating Ni by tricking it into believing it was just fire, and striking when it least expects it

Just because Ni is subconscious does not mean that it has no source. It still fares better with more information, if subconsciously processed.

Ni is a source of information but not conviction. As an auxiliary function it may assist a Te or Fe dominant type in visualizing an outcome to a situation, but as a dominant function it paralyzes activity and leads to indecision because of the underdeveloped auxiliary judgement function.

Ne, same issue. It doesn't matter where they get their information from. Types that lead with intuition often struggle with anxiety about the choices they have to make and "over think" it.

Se and Si leads, same issue, different source: direct experience. But you still have the problem of underdeveloped judgement whenever a perceiving function dominates.

In battle, the best type to be would probably be an ESTJ or an ENTJ. Both are equipped to lead and to follow, and both are equipped to make the best decisions they can make at the time they must be made without hesitation.

Te is overall the best combat function in my opinion.

Just because Ni is subconscious does not mean that it has no source. It still fares better with more information, if subconsciously processed.
Ni isn't subconscious
Ni is derives from the unconscious

Ni does have sources, just sifts through the possibilities and such. Then dismiss's the useless details and out comes the weasel.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.