Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need help. Ill explain my further question.. I am old. well, in my 30ies. I love books sind I am 5 or so. But I have "reached" a kind of book-despression. I still love books, but I can not enjoy them anymore. Well, I mean fantasy/scifi/adventure. ATM I only read "serious books about science and history etcetc." and this sucks. sorry for this word.
I got the "captain obvious"-medal, by myself and the most evil mistake I read the "The Hero with a Thousand Faces"---> everything "was over". Its like "watching too much 'Lie to me" or something.
I tried hard to read "Game of Thrones", but I stopped. It was too "mentioned, bad or good" etc. political here, there etc. it happens all the time. I tried sword of truth... the same with the series "Night's Dawn"... everytime, I start a book or a series, I "know" whats happening.
2nd problem
Now started the Hunger-Games... young adult books, movies. I swear, I would love and watch it, if I am 20 years younger. even for Harry Potter, I was way too old. its coming-of-age-literature and movies.

so pleeeeeeeeeease help me. I am looking for some good scifi/fantasy/adventure without obvious progression, politics, "adult" (I mean: NO coming-of-age-growing-up, messianic) story. I am in despair and and very frustrated :frustrating:
(btw. I loved the old dune books and the "old" Hyperion/Endymion-stuff)

·
Banned
144 Posts
The first author I thought of was Neil Gaiman.

I'm not sure if you have read any of his books but you can check out his novel, Neverwhere. His graphic novels, the Sandman series, are worth a try too.

You can go to this website: whatshouldireadnext.com

Enter the title of a book you really love and it'll automatically search books that are similar in genre.

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you haven't read The Dark Tower Series, I recommend those. Great books although the ending is disappointing (but that is many thousands of pages away). If you like zombies [even just a tiny bit] World War Z was phenomenal.

I love fiction but am not big on sci-fi [books], so I don't really have a whole lot of recommendations :/

If you want to know some good existentialism or just plain fiction, let me know, tho.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Coming-of-age is sort of a central theme in sci-fi/fantasy. :\

Have you ever read Terry Pratchett? It's fantasy wrapped up in brilliant satire. The humor sets it apart from other books in the genre.

I enjoyed Boneshaker by Cherie Priest. It's steampunk, but not in-your-face about it, and it's a great adventure novel. Her others haven't been quite as good, I didn't think.

And finally: try Iain M. Banks' Culture novels. Highly recommended as a starting point would be Use of Weapons or The Player of Games, although Consider Phlebas is also pretty friendly to first-time readers. The Culture novels are all really gnarly tragedies on eenoooorrmoouusss scales; they're definitely way different than other sci-fi I've read. They also defy expectation, because you would expect that everything is going to turn out well in the end: in The Culture, it often doesn't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts