Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the descriptions on several sites, and yet it still isn't clear to me.
Perhaps it's the thick Cockney boy inside me.

Supposing most of your actions are dictated by what you think would make other people more comfortable - is that a product of dominant Fe or Fi?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It depends on -why- your actions are dictated by what you think makes other people more comfortable.

Is it because you have it as part of your internal moral code to tend to people's needs (Fi)

Or is it because you were brought up that way, and that's the way you feel every human being should just be treated (Fe)

Fi is about having a personal moral code that you live by regardless of external opinion. It's about living true to yourself and staying authentic.

Fe is about having a moral code built by the collective opinion of people that surround you. It aims to blend with people and to harmonize.

Have you ever heard the saying "The nail that sticks out gets hammered?"

Fi is the nail and the hammer is Fe

Fi Nail: "I want to live life being true to who I am as much as possible! Even if that means sticking out or going against the grain!"

Fe Hammer: "Oh shit. I hope someone doesn't get hurt by this nail sticking out."
*hammers nail*

·
Registered
656 Posts
Fi is your feeling values you carry with you everywhere you go. It's not really influenced by the external environment. Fe is the feeling of everybody else, everywhere you go. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fi Nail: "I want to live life being true to who I am as much as possible! Even if that means sticking out or going against the grain!"

Fe Hammer: "Oh shit. I hope someone doesn't get hurt by this nail sticking out."
*hammers nail*
Definitely the latter for me. And that is where it gets confusing, because the test I did (I think was on HumanMetrics) said INFP.
Having always been quiet, shy and sensitive, I assumed this was true.
Yet the cognitive functions tell a different story.

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
Fe makes you feel like you're a slave to the human race.

Wha -- what? Did I say that? I meant that I love people. All the time. All day erry'day.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Definitely the latter for me. And that is where it gets confusing, because the test I did (I think was on HumanMetrics) said INFP.
Having always been quiet, shy and sensitive, I assumed this was true.
Yet the cognitive functions tell a different story.
You shouldn't put too much stock in the result of those online tests. They're not very accurate, and the one you mentioned (the HumanMetrics one) is based on dichotomies and not functions. WHY you do things is important; the RESULT not so much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.