Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was at a concert with a friend and I had this realization.

I was intensely focused on the concert and that put me into a kind of dream state where I was thinking about all these deep things and feeling the music and the energy of the venue. I was definitely in my own world, yet at the same time I was aware of my friend next to me and able to interact with her in the real world.

Anyone else relate to this?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Sounds like you're describing the INFJ screensaver mode I mentioned awhile back.

Or you smoked some really good stuff.

But honestly, I suppose it may have been the ambiance of the crowd that kept you physically aware.

The only thing I've ever done was a trick called "Emotional Compartmentalization". My friend who was in air cadets explained that the trick is to achieve a level of awareness where you are only focused on what you are trying to achieve-- everything else that exists, be it in your head or around you, may as well not exist at all during this time. Apparently it's something that jet pilots have to do.

I taught myself how to do it through video games. When I'm having a difficult time with something there are moments when my 'game face' goes on and I beat the game silly.

You can check out more on this here:
http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/...an-affect-our-lives-and-the-lives-of-thos.htm

·
Banned
605 Posts
That's me nearly 24/7. I wouldn't describe it as "screensaver mode" though, as it usually doesn't block out reality in any major way. I learned, somewhat recently, that forcing it to be more vivid drains energy quickly, while being selective in how much of the "other world" I see has similar positive results without tapping my batteries anywhere near as fast.

I always attributed it to my time spent on ADD meds when I was still in grade school. At the time I referred to it as "zombie mode" but the more negative aspects have faded over time.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
when I'm driving this happens all the time ... reason why i think i'll get into a car accident one day

The only thing I've ever done was a trick called "Emotional Compartmentalization". My friend who was in air cadets explained that the trick is to achieve a level of awareness where you are only focused on what you are trying to achieve...
I'd actually call it emotional prioritization rather than compartmentalization. As you're not just storing feelings and thoughts away in little boxes, but you're simply prioritizing, you're structuring these boxes one on top of the other, you're tuning their strength up or down and allowing yourself to act on some over other others. Hence the phrase "doesn't have his/her priorities straight".

·
Banned
605 Posts
when I'm driving this happens all the time ... reason why i think i'll get into a car accident one day
That's why I don't own a car yet. I may have adapted well enough to drive without losing focus now.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I will often zone out for a while alone, but somehow it isn't that difficult for me to drive in that zone.
sometimes though if other people are in the car it is more difficult as I get more focused on the person and thus lose my focus even though technically I am more aware.

it is amazing how well our subconscious functions under the working conditions of our dominant functions

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
That's why I don't own a car yet. I may have adapted well enough to drive without losing focus now.
Do you get sort of hypnotized also? It is best way that I can describe it. I put off getting a car until I graduated college but I'm still very much afraid to drive it because it has been a few times now that I was behind the wheels and just suddenly sort of came back from this unconscious state I was in and realized I wasn't paying attention to the road and don't remember what transpired a moment ago. I'm usually driving around feeling like I'm in this double-state that the OP describes.

sometimes though if other people are in the car it is more difficult as I get more focused on the person and thus lose my focus even though technically I am more aware.

it is amazing how well our subconscious functions under the working conditions of our dominant functions
That's a good way to describe it - subconscious taking over the conscious. I'm not too responsive to conversation while I'm driving either for the same fear that it will take up whatever precious amount of attention I have left that is in process of being applied to the road xD

·
Banned
605 Posts
Do you get sort of hypnotized also? It is best way that I can describe it. I put off getting a car until I graduated college but I'm still very much afraid to drive it because it has been a few times now that I was behind the wheels and just suddenly sort of came back from this unconscious state I was in and realized I wasn't paying attention to the road and don't remember what transpired a moment ago. I'm usually driving around feeling like I'm in this double-state that the OP describes.

That's a good way to describe it - subconscious taking over the conscious. I'm not too responsive to conversation while I'm driving either for the same fear that it will take up whatever precious amount of attention I have left that is in process of being applied to the road xD
Yeah. A long day at work, in a crowded room for too long, or driving are the three (known) times where the "two worlds" thing can actually cause problems for me. Otherwise they run in parallel with no real issues.

What's worse is I end up responding to what's going on in my head while that happens, which can sometimes be the exact opposite response that I should be having at the time. I accidentally hurt someone's feelings (I'm pretty sure) because of that. :sad:

Unlike most INTJ's, supposedly, I seem to be a little empathetic but never really know how to respond, in spite of it. Maybe I really am an INTP? So confused... lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
The other reality.

It's the place that I can go to when I want to be me... full of colours, emotions swirling, it enhances the real world.

Careful... it's easy to lose yourself!

Or, like me you could have synethesia?

·
Banned
36 Posts
Oh, I fully understand the screensaver mode! Didn't know they had a name to describe it so well... :blushed:

Yeah, I've experienced that too, where you might be in a large crowd and the inspiration is so great, that your mind wants to go into an internal creative mode, yet you need to stay focused with the outer one too, so you do both. It's like I'm living life, two worlds at the same time.

I've also seen this happen with me too, when I get stressed, or overwhelmed with people. My mind wants to introvert inward into a quiet and peaceful place, where I can get a break from people. So, the second world "boots up" and starts to run. I can switch back and forth as needed. :cool:

Dustin

·
Super Moderator
12,117 Posts
I'm still paying attention, just not giving it any.
Thanks well said! :laughing:

Yep, two worlds!:crazy:

The outside world exists and I respond. Meanwhile, I'm somewhere in my head using imagination, dreaming, just thinking, or caught up in thoughts for a poem. Sometimes, I have to be careful, because I forget what I say to someone!:shocked:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts