Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stolen shamelessly from the INTJ forum :crazy:

- I'm very aggressive, strong willed, and assertive when I need to be. I actually enjoy conflicts and debates, I find that they're interesting and stimulating as long as they're handled respectfully.

- I'm not socially awkward at all if the vibe is right with someone. I can be very charming and friendly if things are flowing easily.

- I dislike hugs and find them awkward along with open expression of affection with friends and family (completely the other way around with a romantic partner).

What about you guys?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Well, the first thing I can think about is how I'm into sports (well, mostly just soccer/football). I tried playing but was awful (stereotypically INFP I believe xD), but I got really into watching it, and now I'm a huge Chelsea FC fan.

I get the idea that the stereotypical INFP doesn't like sports, correct me if I'm wrong!

And the descriptions I've read about INFPs sexually bothers me a bit because it doesn't quite fit. Uh, this in particular: "Once their trust has been earned, the INFP will view sexual intimacy as an opportunity for expressing their deep-seated love and affection. More than the actual sexual act, they will value giving and receiving love and sweet words."

Not really...

Um, for now that's all I can think of. I will post more if I can think of anything else...

·
Registered
🚀
9,924 Posts

- I'm very aggressive, strong willed, and assertive when I need to be. I actually enjoy conflicts and debates, I find that they're interesting and stimulating as long as they're handled respectfully.

- I'm not socially awkward at all if the vibe is right with someone. I can be very charming and friendly if things are flowing easily.

- I dislike hugs and find them awkward along with open expression of affection with friends and family (completely the other way around with a romantic partner).

What about you guys?
Ow I didn't know you dislikes h*gs, Kalei. I'll keep that in mind...from now on I promise I will only h*g you virtually via pm. :wink:

But I thought that it was stereotypical INFP to feel awkward towards expression of affection or even expressing themselves verbally, (realtime and in real life).

WTF are the stereotypes anyway?

·
Registered
🚀
9,924 Posts
Uh, this in particular: "Once their trust has been earned, the INFP will view sexual intimacy as an opportunity for expressing their deep-seated love and affection. More than the actual sexual act, they will value giving and receiving love and sweet words."
:confused: Where did you get that?

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ow I didn't know you dislikes h*gs, Kalei. I'll keep that in mind...from now on I promise I will only h*g you virtually via pm. :wink:

But I thought that it was stereotypical INFP to feel awkward towards expression of affection or even expressing themselves verbally, (realtime and in real life).

WTF are the stereotypes anyway?
H*g? :laughing:

I thought the stereotype was that INFP's or all Feelers for that matter are about hugs and cuddles and bunnies and rainbows !

·
Registered
124 Posts
Same here! :p I avoid physical contact as much as I can, even with my friends and family. But not with someone I'm romantically involved with, on the contrary.

I can also be very organised at times, in spite of my bedroom looking like a nuclear wasteland. I'm terrified of finding myself in embarrassing situations so I sometimes draw a small map on a piece of paper before I visit a place I'm not familiar with. And I generally take precautions beforehand and book most things in advance when I'm travelling, for the same reasons. (I think that's very INFJ...)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hm. You know, I've kind of lost sight of what a stereotypical INFP is...I wonder why this is. Maybe I know the type too well, or I've perceived too many contradicting stereotypes. OH my GOD THERE IS A GIANT SPIDER. Ok I'm back.

I am so with you on enjoying debates and disagreements, though I cannot handle genuine lasting conflict.

I don't like romantic fluff at all, which I think INFPs are stereotyped as enjoying? I don't necessarily consider myself an idealist. I'm not huggly and fluffity. I don't attach much to sex and I'm a bit of a commitment-phobe, though maybe INFPs are actually stereotyped as that. I don't even know!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I choose to be very cold and emotionless sometimes.
I dislike expressing my emotions openly, unless with someone I'm romantically invested in. In that case I wouldn't care who is watching I would hug and cuddle with her for as long as we want, among other things :tongue:

Although I'm INFP and type 9 I have always had an incredible interest in weapons. From medieval to modern. xD
I also enjoy martial arts. Its been almost 4 years since I stopped practicing but I still take up my time sometimes to practice on my own.
I rarely get supremely clumsy or disorganized. I like my things in order most of the time.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Well:

I'm very sporty. I play tennis, football and at times hockey. And I'm happy with playing most non-batting sports. I'm a huge football (soccer for Americans) and I support BPL club Stoke City FC. However I'm aware of the problems in professional football, such as the wages the elite are paid (I put elite in bold for a reason), the corruption within the politics, the arrogance of footballers, the violence that can occur among a few.

I can argue, apparently, very logically and appear emotionless and cold.

Although I do like hugs, it is with a select group of people, mainly family and friends I really value.

I do not value being different, I value people who are themselves.

I have an interest in cars.

That's off the top of my head.

·
PerC's 6w6
5,880 Posts
For me, it's the bits mainly relating to others. For example:

INFPs, more than other iNtuitive Feeling types, are focused on making the world a better place for people
and
INFPs are highly intuitive about people. They rely heavily on their intuitions to guide them, and use their discoveries to constantly search for value in life. They are on a continuous mission to find the truth and meaning underlying things. Every encounter and every piece of knowledge gained gets sifted through the INFP's value system, and is evaluated to see if it has any potential to help the INFP define or refine their own path in life. The goal at the end of the path is always the same - the INFP is driven to help people and make the world a better place.
The truth is, I don't really care about people (as a whole). I care about those close to me, those important to me, and those I know, but in the grand scheme of things I don't see attempts to make the world a better place of any value - that'd have to imply that that's what I wanted to do, and that I could do something to do that, but I can't. When I die people will still be murdered or hurt by others, and it's been happening long before I was born.

Also, like others here I can be cold and "emotionless" - keeping it all inside and repressing the expression of them with an iron fist. I also don't mind using logic to make a point, if need be.

Apart from that I tend to agree with most of the profiles.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts

What about you guys?
well this is easy :) .. then I can steal your own answer to use for myself ... it applies well ^^

·
Registered
🚀
9,924 Posts
H*g? :laughing:
sssshh!

I thought the stereotype was that INFP's or all Feelers for that matter are about hugs and cuddles and bunnies and rainbows !
Well, a great part of my friends would fit that description. Except for the bunnies and rainbows, that is unless in an altered state of consciousness.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The truth is, I don't really care about people (as a whole). I care about those close to me, those important to me, and those I know, but in the grand scheme of things I don't see attempts to make the world a better place of any value - that'd have to imply that that's what I wanted to do, and that I could do something to do that, but I can't. When I die people will still be murdered or hurt by others, and it's been happening long before I was born.
Same here.. I've never understood this whole "INFP saves humanity" thing. I can't relate to it. I would do anything for the people I love, and try as much as I can to help them but I've never been an activist. I'm much more concerned with one-on-one. For example, as a therapist, I dream of helping individuals solving a problem but not reforming the psychology field. Just not my concern, as selfish as it sounds.

I'm a type 1 and despise people taking the carefree INFP approach to what I believe are moral obligations to set a certain standard and blahblah I'm a prude.
:laughing: In my experience, type 1s rock!

@Waldeinsamkeit

I'm freakishly organized as well! My room is SO neat, I can't stand living in a pigsty or anything. My folders, my books, it all has to be in order. My library books are assembled my theme. Yep, bordering on OCD here :crazy:

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
I can be charming and friendly too.
I also am not very nice.
I care more about living my life the way I want than making others feel good.
I don't have a hard time telling others off, I don't take on others feelings. If I am empathetic it is from a perspective of, "I can understand how that feels" and it's almost always a choice to relate that way.
I like hanging out with people and I love trying new things (this isn't atypical of infps but there are some sterotypes that suggest otherwise).
I know how to flirt.
I'm more aggressive than passive. I try to let things slide but it's actually hard for me to keep my mouth shut.
I can deflect situations with humor and I don't take everything personally.
I don't tip toe around others feelings if I feel their feelings are irrational or undeserved & I can be a real bitch sometimes.
I have a terrible temper and sometimes have rash outbursts or say mean things I regret.

·
Registered
🚀
9,924 Posts
INFP Relationships

Ah, kaleidoscope answered before me x)

Well some of that complete description can be applied. Some of it for just a period. I was actually surprised to type INFP, because I really thought I left romanticism and idealism behind me since early 20ies, and without being aware of being INFP I had come to the conclusion that idealism was the cause of my unhappiness rather than what would effectively make me happy.

If I am correct, this description is a result of questionairies by people we must assume to be infp, a common denominator (of male and female), selected to serve (affirming) the theory, (e.g. romantic = idealism) and somewhat exaggerated to become 'stereotypical'. It is unclear to me how up to date this information is, and the geographical demographic.

By the way, according to statistics elsewhere on the site, we are least likely to be married.

And on 'stereotypes', I don't fit every 'male' or 'masculin' stereotype either.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts