Personality Cafe banner

121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I'm actually not too aware of what I'm feeling for the most part. An INFP might say he/she is sad or happy and perhaps use a simile. I honestly have to think about it before I know any emotion, except, I guess, when I'm angry. Sometimes I'll start crying and the shock is overpowering. I mostly live in the world of thoughts. I spend a lot of time thinking about creating things and the future and how I want to be famous some day. I have a knack for attributing my over-excitement to happiness instead of mania, which I suffer every now and then.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Was poking around YouTube a couple of weeks ago. Wonder if you guys have seen this channel, this host.
Have watched a few of his INFP-related uploads.

Not sure if his analysis is accurate. Tell me if you know for sure otherwise, based on specific data. He confesses this write-up is more or less not based on hard evidence (I suppose, in truth, this is sorta kinda all pseudoscience so...).

While his insights are interesting, good summaries of some type theory and he can seem quite authoritative, I just doubt some bits.
I especially doubt Eric has a good grip on who INFPs are as he seems to base his analysis on a couple of INFPs he has personally encountered, and who've incidentally often rubbed him the wrong way. :D

I do not identify with this trait he mentions that makes INFPs sentimentally explain away heinous ethical/legal wrongdoing by individuals. I suppose he is referring to how Fi judges very idiosyncratically, sometimes defying what seems obvious, logical reasoning.

I'm fairly certain that I hold everyone pretty much against the same yardstick and that that's even the problem sometimes. Overall, to me, it's a sterling standard we all should meet, without exception. We all must try, at least.

Spoiler: A cat gets evicted in this one. :D

·
Banned
898 Posts
I guess a lot of the descriptions place emphasis on fantasy, but in a way that doesn't apply to me exactly... Like, INFP is the princess in waiting or the knight in shining armor or whatnot, but I'm not the most fantastical person. I'd have to probably make myself pick up a book like Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights or Pride and Prejudice; I mean I can't say I'm waiting for some Mr. Darcy to sweep me off my feet. The last couple of books I read about love were What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver and Brief Interviews With Hideous Men by David Foster Wallace, which are these pretty dark nihilistic takes on relationships that question it all. I've also read a lot of memoirs by women who have struggled with love addiction and been burned in the process. I'm just not a hopeless romantic princess type, I'm no good at expressing that part of myself at all and I don't really have any trust left. Half a Person by The Smiths describes my orientation to relationships well, I've realized recently. I do love, love metaphor/fantasy heavy art like Twin Peaks or The NeverEnding Story that paint the human experience in a different way, but there tends to be a lot of darkness in the ones I like most.

Apologies for the pretentious name dropping, going through a hard time and I tend to get obsessed with certain...pieces of art in those times.

I used to say in these threads that I'm more physical than the INFP descriptions suggest, but I don't know if that's true anymore... I am naturally very physically affectionate but I don't really express that part of myself at all anymore. I used to want to be a visual artist really badly and I drew pictures all the time, and my artist neighbor told my mom when I was little that she could tell I was going to be an artist by the way I play with blocks. But now I hate anything hands-on, it makes me want to die, the only time I'm good with it is when I'm so sad all I can do is draw or watercolor paint something. I think it's because I'm resorting to a primitive comfort seeking part of myself and when I was little I was always drawing. I do love being in nature more than anything, though.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I
- am ideaistic
- daydream without intention
- don't care about what is trendy or not. I like what I like
- usually side with the underdogs, the less fortunate, people in need
- can't work in a job that has no meaning, i.e. I just couldn't do an office job or any job that could theoretically be done by a mindless machine.
- am creative

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't care about the criticism if it's not coming from a friend. I have a semi-clear picture about myself and I simply don't believe strangers can properly judge me. But if a person I love tells me something's off, I always go into my "whirlwind of despair" mode first, and it's irritating. Man I hate it when I do that, I feel like there's no way I can improve and grow as a person if I can't objectively process criticism without feeling down and depressed.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Was poking around YouTube a couple of weeks ago. Wonder if you guys have seen this channel, this host.
Have watched a few of his INFP-related uploads.

Not sure if his analysis is accurate. Tell me if you know for sure otherwise, based on specific data. He confesses this write-up is more or less not based on hard evidence (I suppose, in truth, this is sorta kinda all pseudoscience so...).

While his insights are interesting, good summaries of some type theory and he can seem quite authoritative, I just doubt some bits.
I especially doubt Eric has a good grip on who INFPs are as he seems to base his analysis on a couple of INFPs he has personally encountered, and who've incidentally often rubbed him the wrong way. :D

I do not identify with this trait he mentions that makes INFPs sentimentally explain away heinous ethical/legal wrongdoing by individuals. I suppose he is referring to how Fi judges very idiosyncratically, sometimes defying what seems obvious, logical reasoning.

I'm fairly certain that I hold everyone pretty much against the same yardstick and that that's even the problem sometimes. Overall, to me, it's a sterling standard we all should meet, without exception. We all must try, at least.

Spoiler: A cat gets evicted in this one. :D
Nothing about that rings true for me. Socionics uses different defintions, and is pretty much its own, separate system.
The socionics INFp is NiFe, but again, the definitions are defined differently.

What this guy is describing sounds more like an INFJ to me, although I didn't find any of it particularly insightful.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nothing about that rings true for me. Socionics uses different defintions, and is pretty much its own, separate system.
The socionics INFp is NiFe, but again, the definitions are defined differently.

What this guy is describing sounds more like an INFJ to me, although I didn't find any of it particularly insightful.
Haha, there you go. OK. I sort of found that Ti thing he mentioned interesting.
But if he is using the wrong type entirely, well... case closed, I guess.

·
Edgelord
6,928 Posts
I'm basically this:

Stereotypical INFPs tend to be drawn to social justice causes and can become SJWs easily, so me being vehemently against them is "weird".

·
Registered
508 Posts
I don't like fantasy or sci-fi.. In fact i actually hate it and it really annoys the living daylights out of me..

I prefer open, non-committed relationships..

I am not more volatile, rude or quick to temper than the average person but compared to most infp's i think i can be pretty uncaring about other people's feelings while leaving my opinion on something. I think it's because I'm immature and don't think before i act.. *edit* strike that, i do think. But what i think is 'this person deserves this. They're being rude and i can't stand them' Angry defense mechanism ftw.. ..

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
@leictreon I don't agree....I hardly see SJW types identifying as INFPs around here. SJWs tend to display very black and white thinking and seem to desire to impose so-called progressive ideals on society and individuals they encounter.

INFPs tend to see many sides of an issue, to empathize with opposing views even, to not want to push individual ideals (rather they may seek to embody them or pursue them for themselves).

SJWs remind me of inferior Introverted Judging in ExxJs and some IxxJs. It basically strikes me as Je mentality guided by their individual vision (Pi); so they seek to create new structure, new norms, etc.

The hyper PC-ness also strikes me as an xxFJ thing.

I don't possess a magical fantastic imagination that I can draw inspiration from to write, paint or draw. I'm not a natural artist
I am admittedly arty farty, and I have a complex inner world, but my imagination feels more emotionally driven than "magical". I have never liked fantasy genre stuff much, and I feel like people think this is what an INFP imagination is like. My imagination is not cutesy, filled with fantasy lands or creatures. I am not into epic tales of good/evil. Most of the time, I am thinking, or reasoning on how I feel, and forming/refining what I call my "philosophies". I also explore different perspectives and emotional states.

When it comes to personal creations, I am mostly driven to give shape to emotional states, and yeah, that can become very abstract and perhaps whimsical at times. If it is not personal, then I like to play concepts that may have an emotional impact or symbolism. I do some character creation, but it also is part of exploring emotions and concepts.

My actual fantasy is more realistic as far as not containing magical or physically impossible stuff. It often involves tragedy or other things which feel emotionally significant. I pretty much dream in an egotistical way - I dream of ideal or more glamorous lives, of being "set apart" somehow, of romantic conquests, etc. I dont dream about unicorns or anything so fluffy.

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
INFPs have a stereotype of being great writers, but I have no reason why I would think that I am a good one. I usually struggle with finding the right words to express myself. Sometimes I embarrassingly use the wrong words and look dumb. So as such, I'm generally quiet, even on the forums. It's not that I don't have an imagination or anything like that, I'm just completely clueless when it comes to expressing what goes on in my head. I'm not artistic, or even all that creative tbh.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hmm

I can pretend to be an extrovert very well. Especially if I'm with other introverts, I can become designated extrovert. It's like being possessed (perhaps by my shadow functions) and can cause problems if I make new friends in that mode, because I sorta have to come out of the closet as an introvert to them.

I also am only messy and disorganized when I am depressed. When I am in a good space I am tidy, I work out, and am more likely to be social.

I'm sure there's other stuff... I'm unique damnit! :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've seen stereotypes in here that INFPs usually avoid responsibilities in some narrower sense like doing small tasks, or broader meaning like accepting the role of a leader or some sort. Anything that makes me 'strive' for something, being given a task and finally completing it is one of the things that boost my inner being. I don't know, maybe it's the wing 3 or maybe my tritype, or just my attitude.

·
4,816 Posts
I am quite aware of my surroundings most of the time, not so much in my head only.

I very rarely cry, and if I do it might last for less than five seconds(I can shed tears when reading or watching film or so on, but not for my own feelings), even if I am very sad. It might be something like once every second year.

I am rather practical, I don't have that much knowledge in that area, but I can often figure out how to fix things if it is nothing too difficult(albeit in somewhat untraditional ways, like mending a washingmachine with the kind of "rope" you fasten cargo with and a little brush for cleaning an electrical razor).

I am not a good writer.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I don't care for animals, or at least animals that can harm us humans anyway, particularly insects. I couldn't care if they went extinct. If they are animals with absolutely no level of ability to even form a sense of empathy for any living form, I say good riddance to that animal. I know everyone loves to love animals these days which is great and all, but I doubt you'd be saying the same thing if you lived in rural Africa, rural South America, rural Asia or rural Oceania.

But with that said, I love dogs, cats, lizards, seals, birds, those kinds of animals.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm loud.
I don't yearn for a romantic relationship per sé. If I can't have the person I would want to have, why bother with anybody?
I am a dog person.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm rarely aware of what I'm feeling, or why I'm feeling that way. It takes a lot of introspection and soul-searching to suss that stuff out.

I'm so paranoid about being sensitive or over-emotional, that rudeness often goes completely over my head and I don't get offended by things that I probably should.

Saturday nights you're almost guaranteed to find me at a night club. Or some kind of party, at the very least.

121 - 140 of 161 Posts