Personality Cafe banner

141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I am very blunt and outspoken to the point where I am not afraid to voice my opinion unabashed

I am very masculine in the sense of liking fighting arts/martial arts, don't mind getting roughed up during sparring matches, not afraid to stand my ground in an argument, like lifting weights

Can like traditionally SJ stuff like military, law enforcement, etc.

Can be insensitive and don't like tiptoeing around people's feelings and prefer to tell it as it is

I can take constructive criticism well

I am very cynical about people's motives and don't always see the good in people unless they prove it by actions. I used to be idealistic when I was younger.

I am not much into touchy feely stuff. I don't like talking about my emotions and prefer to be stoic.

I am not a hippie, and I am actually pretty conservative and dislike some of 60s Counter Culture's social impacts. I am anti-SJW

I am not afraid to give orders when necessary in a position of authority or power

·
Registered
326 Posts
I
- am ideaistic
- daydream without intention
- don't care about what is trendy or not. I like what I like
- usually side with the underdogs, the less fortunate, people in need
- can't work in a job that has no meaning, i.e. I just couldn't do an office job or any job that could theoretically be done by a mindless machine.
- am creative
I just realized I misunderstood the question. The question was in what way am I NOT stereotypical INFP. But instead the points above describes what makes me stereotypical INFP. Shame on me. -.-

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am not idealist in an abstract way I think. I think all my thoughts cares or goes to really pratical situation, about people I know well first. I don't really care about the rest of humanity and their values, mostly.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I am admittedly arty farty, and I have a complex inner world, but my imagination feels more emotionally driven than "magical". I have never liked fantasy genre stuff much, and I feel like people think this is what an INFP imagination is like. My imagination is not cutesy, filled with fantasy lands or creatures. I am not into epic tales of good/evil. Most of the time, I am thinking, or reasoning on how I feel, and forming/refining what I call my "philosophies". I also explore different perspectives and emotional states.

When it comes to personal creations, I am mostly driven to give shape to emotional states, and yeah, that can become very abstract and perhaps whimsical at times. If it is not personal, then I like to play concepts that may have an emotional impact or symbolism. I do some character creation, but it also is part of exploring emotions and concepts.
I was basically going to reply with something similar to this ~ I've never been particularly interested in "fantasy" in the sense of the word that you've described, usually preferring something with realistic emotion. I do think there are INFPs out there who are extremely "fluffy" and like to dream about unicorns etc, but I can't remember the last time I imagined a unicorn (I did just now cos of writing this, lol). I am interested in artistic expression and dabble in it myself through photography, photo editing, videography and previously lyrics/music production. But it was always as if I was, like you said, exploring different emotional states and perspectives. You put it really well! I remember making a video years ago where I described my lyric writing process, and in it, I stated that when I'm constructing my lyrics, I'm essentially "explaining an emotional situation". It was never particularly cutesy for me.

However, the more I think about it, the more complex it gets in my head, because sometimes when I'm watching music videos for instance, I'm not necessarily super interested in the emotions being portrayed (often I am!), and sometimes I'm more into just the beauty of the visuals and how they fit the music. I guess that's the more fantasy side of me coming out then when I'm watching music videos, because what I'm describing is more videos that aren't necessarily emotionally raw, at least not in the classic sense - they're more arty-farty and certainly may have an aspect of fantasy to them. I still love simple, emotionally raw music videos as well though.

I think it's possible that the Enneagram may influence one's feelings towards these things. With my limited experience in the Enneagram, I am guessing that the type 4 INFPs (like you, and possibly me, I'm still "deciding" for sure, like I said, limited experience :p) are the ones more likely to be passionately interested in exploring raw emotional states through art, through creation, while the type 9 INFPs may be the ones more interested in the "unicorn" side of things. Obviously these things can overlap and I'm not putting labels on artistic expression or creativity, but it's a thought that came to me. (I also know that INFPs can be of any Enneagram type, but these seem to be some of the most common ones for us and the ones I most associate with INFP-ness)

·
Registered
497 Posts
now I'm a huge Chelsea FC fan.
Yesss Chelsea FC for life. We are automatically friends for life, like it or not lmao. Once a blue, always blue.

I don't think I am a stereotypical INFP because I not as socially inadequate as society paints us? (I guess) In other words, I think I am a lot more socialable than people paint the stereotypical INFP. I am also not pessimistic or broody all the time, and definitely not as moody.

I'm actually a huge fan of sports particularly in soccer having played the sport, refereed it, and watching it. Not only that I participate in Premier League Fantasy Soccer on the side too. I occasionally get into the March Madness Tournament when it comes around. Also for some reason, I have taken a huge interest in watching circuit racing, and love watching the 24 Le Mans racing event whenever it comes on. As far as I know the stereotypical INFP's don't like sports, and sure as hell don't run fantasy sports leagues or even have a remote interest in motorsports.

Also I don't partake in writing poetry, writing stories, or even artwork. The only art I do draw is my name. Beat that Picasso.

Also I don't like romantic fluff or whatever you call it. If I really like someone, I find simple gestures of kindness and caring to be far more romantic that hugs or even holding hands (in public that is. ) I'd actually be even more afraid to participate in sexual intimacy with someone I really like because I'd be more worried about not living up to their sexual standards or just the ackwardness to even think about it.

I honestly don't even think there is a "stereotypical" INFP out there, because I think that even being an INFP there is so much variation in our species, so much evolution going on that you can't really identify one individual for the end all be all INFP.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Rationality and logic>feels. If anything, I don't like people who solely use their feels to think and I'm not good around overly sensitive people. Things have to make sense, no matter how emotionally attached one is to certain principles. Besides, there are many people that sidestep morality in the name of their feels, and that's just wrong in general. I try my absolute best not to let my sensitive side take me over completely (but may fail ;_;).

I take pride in being able to take criticism and learning from what people tell me; I find this to be one of my best qualities. It may hurt, and I may get sad, but not because of the criticism, but because I wasn't good enough. In fact, I find it awesome that people bothered to take time away from their lives to tell me what's flawed about things I did.

I'm not that much into romance. I can like it, but meh. I'm definitely not what people would call a hopeless romantic. I prefer things focused on friendships and family relationships. I don't see myself as idealistic in romance either: I'm not looking for perfect guys that don't exist, especially since it's a worthless endeavor.

Also, I love honesty and hate passive-agressive behavior, so I'm kind of (politely) blunt and actually pretty tactless. If I don't think people are good enough, I'm not going to tell them that they're great because that way, I feel as if I'm tricking them. Telling people the truth is best, as people learn and grow from the truth. When I get mad at someone, I try to make it clear (though people sometimes like to think I'm mad at them when I'm not ^^'). People tend to think I'm passive-aggressive sometimes when I'm just joking around, for some reason :/ If I don't like someone, I ignore them (unless I have to talk to them or they talk to me), plain and simple. I don't try to make them uncomfortable by being passive-aggressive, especially because I know it sucks first-hand.

Also, apparently INFPs are good at giving advice or counseling in general, but nobody's ever relied on me for that at all. Probably because I'm a bit tactless and don't tend to notice things.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I am very blunt and outspoken to the point where I am not afraid to voice my opinion unabashed

I am very masculine in the sense of liking fighting arts/martial arts, don't mind getting roughed up during sparring matches, not afraid to stand my ground in an argument, like lifting weights

Can like traditionally SJ stuff like military, law enforcement, etc.

Can be insensitive and don't like tiptoeing around people's feelings and prefer to tell it as it is

I can take constructive criticism well

I am very cynical about people's motives and don't always see the good in people unless they prove it by actions. I used to be idealistic when I was younger.

I am not much into touchy feely stuff. I don't like talking about my emotions and prefer to be stoic.

I am not a hippie, and I am actually pretty conservative and dislike some of 60s Counter Culture's social impacts. I am anti-SJW

I am not afraid to give orders when necessary in a position of authority or power
I was going to type all the above before noticing your post.

Except, I don't care much about SJW, not that I'm not just.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don`t take Myers Briggs seriously but let see.

I am a fighter but I dislike violence.
I tend to be very competitive and I like to win
I`m into math and programming a lot, sometimes get obsessed by it.
I don`t really trust anyone, there is always a caught. (help a lot when dealing with test and annoying questions lol).
and yeah I`m arrogant af, although I only do that to piss people off.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
People think I am patient all the time, when in fact, I'm actually cranky and have probably stabbed you 10 times in my mind if you're late in our appointment.

·
Registered
423 Posts
- sometimes i'm very energetic and quirky in public. especially when i meet new people.. people meet me for the first time, think i'm super fun and later at another encounters they're like "who the fuck are you"

- i can totally put aside my emotions and act like a superrational person. i can and sometimes do approach problems that way so that i can see a logical, non-emotional aspect of a situation. however, my final decisions will always be made with emotional aspect included

- sometimes i'm extra critical of people, and see the bad in them. this is result of a lifetime of being nice, helping people and putting my back even for worst cases of exploitation. i'm so fed up with hipocrisy of people that some times i just see the worst in them. (but i'll offer help nevertheless)

- i don't like it when they describe us as afraid of real world and real encounters. we may be afraid but most of us gather some life experience and learn to deal with it..

- i am competitive and will fight.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Idk if this counts or not but on the front it may seem like I am in political matters just for it but as for everything, I have an emotional reason in the first place for being there. But when you look behind the scenes for example:

For political causes I was actually driven into investigating by very strong/powerful or hardcore emotions that stood out from the rest which is why I may lash out when somebody attacks beliefs which are dear to me etc because they have those emotions attached to it. For example I really can't stand injustice or this 'survival of fittest' mentality applied to society, I really really want it/them gone no matter how sloppy of an effort I make. Any conflict that happens/roasting I've done I only participate because I am dragged in by strong emotions of being wronged/injustice. How it will be organized after I will leave it to the 'organizers/experts'. Punch the wall until you find a hollow space or tunnel out or a breakthrough which you can use at whim according to how you feel. If my Fi level in something/for example a subject disintegrated I naturally start to do less good in it.

I also really have nothing against the people who simply disagree with some of the means of achieving justice and at worst would see them as being 'in the way'. Do not actually want to engage in conflict with people who simply disagree TBH. I'm hesitant to engage in protest standoffs with protesters of other opposing views in real life on a blank slate, and also hesitant to 'initiate' conversations despite if I'm ordered by somebody.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a STEM major (Computer Science).
I don't think I'm selfish (apparently that's a stereotype). I've done very few selfish things in the past, but I wouldn't call myself selfish overall.
I'm politically moderate.
Apparently I'm smart, according to everyone I know personally.
Even though I'm lazy sometimes, it doesn't mean I never get things in time. In fact, I get done with them as soon as possible which can lead to some things I have to leave behind unfinished (usually personal projects).
I have yet to suffer from depression, although I had trouble with anxiety back then.
I'm not bad at work (apparently that's a stereotype
I used to be very idealistic back when I was a kid. Now, not so much.

That's all I can come up with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't find myself that imaginative, I get lost in my head a lot, I like talking to myself but mostly just memories, people, things that mean a lot to me. And daydreaming about meeting my soulmate, or just random situation pop in my head like I can be doing anything and my mind is like "alright so there's this man, he likes doing x but people misundertand it as y"
Also not creative, I'm clumsy and bad at everything so art isn't really for me I would like to draw but I always end up being frustrated with myself because I mess up all the time. I want to write (and a lot of people told me I should for some reason) but I need to read more because I have no idea how am I supposed to start writing something. But I mastered the art of procrastination and finding excuses for everything.
And I feel some descriptions to be exaggerated (at least for me) makes us look like the embodiment of "I'm not like other people" and like we have a fairytale in our head idk, I relate to everything about INFP but not so over the top as some sites/people describe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm very conservative and right wing, and most INFPs I meet seem to be bleeding heart liberal types. However, I come to conservative values through the same cognitive functions. Some times I can say things without thinking or having a filter, but that could be because I'm on the autism spectrum.

·
Registered
A vague, nonchalant and very unhealthy INFP
38 Posts
I have no creativity-inducing talents, let alone those pertaining to what I'm specifically interested in, as what my "about me" section stated. I mean, I am certainly interested in what I research or lay my attention on, but I just have no ideas or any ways to find a method which would help me find a way to adapt into executing those ideas into legit hobbies/talents, however, I still have a LITTLE hope for myself to pursue those ideas and make a 180 with them. It's what I want most for myself, is to make use with the kind things I'm interested in.

I have no interest nor any infatuation with falling in love with another person, in fact; I'm getting really tired of loving everything; people and myself especially, but I still feel flickers of empathy in my heart.. to those that I manage getting along well enough with and whom trust me enough to talk to them whenever possible. My sister seems to care about my quite a bit, but I feel somewhat the opposite with her due to many, many reasons that I'm not going to bother getting into.

I'm not that prone to "big-talk" unless I feel it's very necessary, because intellectually-driven conversations usually end up shitty for me and I find those conversation topics to be mentally draining and essentially meaningless... depending on the context; I usually try to avoid the long-winded conversations because I always feel they don't go anywhere and the other person is spewing shit just to see/hear themselves talk all intellectually and that's when my thought process dies down during a conversation. I end up feeling incompetent, unsophisticated and downright stupid about it.

I can either be very sincere or very cold, depending on what my mental state is in and my mentality is usually in a very lackluster environment. I can only help so little and I lack so much advice that I feel would be valid enough to provide/support others in need and that's when the cold-shouldering comes in; not intentionally being cold just for the fuck of being mean, but the thought of me not being able to achieve success from doing so all because of being a failure.

I don't know. I may be overthinking things here, but I sometimes feel iffy about myself qualifying as legitimate INFP. shrugs

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is quite an intriguing question and a little haunting, mainly because I place so much of myself in the INFP label, to an almost unhealthy extent. My heart dazzles and feels known when cloaked by that assignment-it does not want to be free but understand itself, have a name to guide it. And in many ways I do mirror the INFP stereotype. My inner world is stained with wishes at feels like my home. I feel infinitely entranced by stories, mythology, anything new and intriguing. I have a volcanic heart constantly erupting with emotion, and I have a poetic way of expressing myself. Also, I like pie.

However, I feel so antithetical to INFP in many ways. I am not angelic and constantly blanketted in darkness and hollowness. As a child I was incredibly monstrous. I felt that the entire world was against me so I hissed at other children to armor myself, while creating so many barriers. I was entitled, conceited, and shallow, and become caught in a whirlwind of gossiping. I can disguise my morals to avoid conflict even though they burn inside of me. Also, despite my terrible coordination and general lack of comfort with athleticism and physical expression, I feel that I go against the current of many polar Se traits. As a younger child I was intrigued my fashion and became somewhat unhealthily obsessed with my appearance. I can be violent when my buttons are pushed (only with my brother, never with anyone else). I can be obsessed with food and senses that feel divine, like escaping into hot showers that feel comforting. I also, while deeply cherishing daydreaming and my imagination, do not have a fairyland in my head, though it does exist in my heart. I'm also not very outwardly quirky, or artistic or have the beautiful, pure heart that INFPs are known for. I feel like a demonic beast most of the time and wish I could escape so.

So perhaps I am not truly an INFP and lying to myself in the depths. Perhaps I am ISFP or ISFJ or INFJ or even an extrovert. The shimmering, resplendent, never ending mystery of who we are is one that can feel eerie and terrifying but it's also quite enticing. I'm trying to embrace it without letting myself explode into an identity crisis every second :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I installed a window air conditioner today and then sawed pieces of wood to fit at the top window. So if a stereotype is that INFPs don't know how to install stuff, I just did.
You're my hero and you spark an inner hope with me :D I am absolutely horrible at installing or repairing anything. But who knows?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't find myself that imaginative, I get lost in my head a lot, I like talking to myself but mostly just memories, people, things that mean a lot to me. And daydreaming about meeting my soulmate, or just random situation pop in my head like I can be doing anything and my mind is like "alright so there's this man, he likes doing x but people misundertand it as y"
Also not creative, I'm clumsy and bad at everything so art isn't really for me I would like to draw but I always end up being frustrated with myself because I mess up all the time. I want to write (and a lot of people told me I should for some reason) but I need to read more because I have no idea how am I supposed to start writing something. But I mastered the art of procrastination and finding excuses for everything.
And I feel some descriptions to be exaggerated (at least for me) makes us look like the embodiment of "I'm not like other people" and like we have a fairytale in our head idk, I relate to everything about INFP but not so over the top as some sites/people describe.
I have exactly the same experience, and it made me question the beauty and depth of my mind for the longest time. I don't have intricate worlds or characters dashing through my brain but I love letting little, random scenarios burst inside of my brain and getting lost in them. I love exploring my mental landscape and cherish the stories it infuses with but I'm not constantly living in an ornate, enchanted fairyland. Though it sounds absolutely incredible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I guess a lot of the descriptions place emphasis on fantasy, but in a way that doesn't apply to me exactly... Like, INFP is the princess in waiting or the knight in shining armor or whatnot, but I'm not the most fantastical person. I'd have to probably make myself pick up a book like Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights or Pride and Prejudice; I mean I can't say I'm waiting for some Mr. Darcy to sweep me off my feet. The last couple of books I read about love were What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver and Brief Interviews With Hideous Men by David Foster Wallace, which are these pretty dark nihilistic takes on relationships that question it all. I've also read a lot of memoirs by women who have struggled with love addiction and been burned in the process. I'm just not a hopeless romantic princess type, I'm no good at expressing that part of myself at all and I don't really have any trust left. Half a Person by The Smiths describes my orientation to relationships well, I've realized recently. I do love, love metaphor/fantasy heavy art like Twin Peaks or The NeverEnding Story that paint the human experience in a different way, but there tends to be a lot of darkness in the ones I like most.

Apologies for the pretentious name dropping, going through a hard time and I tend to get obsessed with certain...pieces of art in those times.

I used to say in these threads that I'm more physical than the INFP descriptions suggest, but I don't know if that's true anymore... I am naturally very physically affectionate but I don't really express that part of myself at all anymore. I used to want to be a visual artist really badly and I drew pictures all the time, and my artist neighbor told my mom when I was little that she could tell I was going to be an artist by the way I play with blocks. But now I hate anything hands-on, it makes me want to die, the only time I'm good with it is when I'm so sad all I can do is draw or watercolor paint something. I think it's because I'm resorting to a primitive comfort seeking part of myself and when I was little I was always drawing. I do love being in nature more than anything, though.
Hmm...I feel a little deeply attacked because I feel absolutely enamored with worlds like Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice. Magical lands from long ago dazzling with romance and depths and all the fires, the coals, the dawns of the heart. I naturally feel drawn to those and I am a hopeless romantic, but I rarely ever truly create those stories in my head. Most of what I mentally weave is random, little stories and scenarios that intrigue me and occupy my mind but they're not always intricate and glittering. Though my heart longs for that so much.

141 - 160 of 161 Posts