Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For myself:

The holidays. Decorating. Baking. Gifts. Everything.
First big snowfalls, I stick out my tongue catching snowflakes
Kicking up leaves in fall

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
This will be a little abstract and complex and philosophical but this just made me start thinking.

Seven years ago I made this really deep, introspective film called Time & Place and the one scene that always really stood out was one I titled The Abdication of Innocence. In it, I'm wearing all black, taking various childhood items such as crayons and a teddy bear, stuffing them into a box, and them promptly burning the box on an open bonfire. And I think the idea behind this was kind of exploring why society tries to create this barrier of binary thinking that separates "innocent and childish things" from the adult way of life. All throughout my childhood and adolescence it seemed as though I always had people nagging me to "grow up" and stop frittering around with what they saw as childish things. So I guess when I made that scene in the movie I was sort of inferring that, boy, this so-called grown-up way of life is awfully bleak and dreary. The scene was also in black and white and set to some very melancholy sounding music. So anyway, my answer to this is that I think I'm innocent in the sense that I haven't marched myopically into adulthood with a lot of the narrow-minded notions a lot of people seem to exhibit, that you can't do and enjoy certain things because you're supposed to be mature. That's farcical to me. You shouldn't abdicate your innocence once you reach a certain age, because what exactly are you looking to trade it in for? The opposite? That being guilt? Makes no sense to me. I've taken on the responsibilities associated with adulthood, absolutely, which in the most basic sense I think just means accountability and being self-sufficient. I'm innocent in the sense that I still enjoy a lot of things that I fell in love with as a child, and have only overtime developed a deeper, more mature appreciation for them -- as opposed to feeling ashamed of these things and chucking them into the refuse bin in favour of more "mature pursuits" whatever they are.

Perhaps not having a criminal record makes me innocent. Perhaps not drinking, smoking, or using drugs makes me innocent. Perhaps not having a relationship or being married or having children makes me innocent. Perhaps not owning a house or a car makes me innocent. These are some awfully burdensome "adult" things to take on. Not sure I want that responsibility. I've never been a fan of being obligated to too much outside of myself, so being tied down to a relationship or childcare or debt or addiction or legal constraints is a whole lot of responsibility and, in some cases, guilt that I'd rather not trade innocence to have.

That's how I would describe how I'm innocent.

Anyway, I'm just throwing thoughts around. Thanks for making me introspect it up a little bit, because this is something that I do think about from time to time, namely when I start comparing myself to others.

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,660 Posts
I never say that I hate anyone. (hate = death wish)
It feels revolting for me to speak a curse word, and I usually can't do it.
I love to sing along to kids' songs.
I haven't actually had sex.
I don't wear make-up.
I never think that anyone is capable of doing something really bad.
I get pouty if I feel that someone doesn't like me.
I'm very optimistic.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Probably a second part to the thread that I just posted...
Sometimes, I actively feign naivety and let others take advantage of me; rather than hurting or embarrassing them. I don't take it personally, and I'll be fine. But, sometimes hurting sad and pathetic creatures can destroy them.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
It's fairly hard to specifically pinpoint, but I would just say I'm very curious about how the world works, and ask a lot of questions that seem to be 'no-brainers' and things like that. A lot of things that exist just do not occur to me, so I have to ask to fill in those gaps that seem like none other than 'magic' occurring.

A very recent example is stumbling upon a Reddit thread about EMTs and learning about what they do and some of the horrors of working in their field. I must've spent hours scrolling through that thread, and it really helped clear my eyes on what happens when I see ambulances zooming past me on the street.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I'm super naïve sometimes, and it's random. Like I'll be super cunning one second and the next second it's the opposite. Mostly in the areas of job/work/business & personal relationships.

Like if a man aproaches me, I will think absolutely nothing of it. He will invite me to his house and I will still think nothing of it, I'll often think he wants us to play videogames or something. You know the phrase "Netflix and chill"... for the longest time I thought it meant exactly what it said. I couldn't understand why people giggled at it. I had to eventually google it to unveil the mystery. Its meaning shocked me, and still does. I don't understand most euphemisms. I can be very linear-thinking sometimes, A means A, B means B... Someone can be flirting with me and I'll never realize, but if someone else does it I will realize. So my naïveté is completely random.

Another example is when JK Rowling wrote that Harry and Ginny spent lovely hours by the lake. I can't remember exactly how she worded it. I imagined H and G holding hands and being chaste. I believed this for years and years. Until one day my group of friends laughed at me and told me that the wording of Rowling was an euphemism for making out -and possibly sex. I was so shocked and couldn't believe it.

I also believe in people's goodness too fast, apparently. Including politicians. But then I'll be a super cynic with other people in the same category. It's random.

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
It's better to be naive than cynical, what i am.

Reactions: arwen7

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's fairly hard to specifically pinpoint, but I would just say I'm very curious about how the world works, and ask a lot of questions that seem to be 'no-brainers' and things like that. A lot of things that exist just do not occur to me, so I have to ask to fill in those gaps that seem like none other than 'magic' occurring.

A very recent example is stumbling upon a Reddit thread about EMTs and learning about what they do and some of the horrors of working in their field. I must've spent hours scrolling through that thread, and it really helped clear my eyes on what happens when I see ambulances zooming past me on the street.

Curiousity. Definitely something that I missed mentioning. I am very curious about things. Reminds me of curiousity of a child.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You know the phrase "Netflix and chill"... for the longest time I thought it meant exactly what it said.
Me too! I'm not American so I thought it meant what it says on the tin. I'm glad I never used it before knowing the meaning. It'd be surely embrassing.

Sticking to topic...
I may be called innocent because I'm quiet.
I'm not mean on purpose, if I'm mean to you it's because you were mean to me before.
I don't like boasting about sex accomplishment like 'I had sex with x and y". I mean, I can talk about sex and matters of the heart freely with my friends, I can joke too, but boasting about it, it just seems like disrespect to the people you had sex with.

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
Hell, I forgot Our Lady Peace even existed. Remember Superman's Dead, Naveed, 3am. Apparently Raine Mada is an ass.
I think you mean 4AM. :proud:

Never heard that about him before. One of my favourite Canadian bands.

Also, I have the same birthday as him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts