Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
PerC Mermaid
23,481 Posts
@ideologicalflowz I came to this thread thinking just of what you´ve said =)

Compassion is something I admire and respect in people. Is a fundamental part of human love.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Freewill. Short and simple. We should never simply give in for any reason. We each possess our own sentience which sets us apart from most life on this planet. It allows us to feel, act and respond the way we want without being slaves to our most primal instincts at all times.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Freewill. Short and simple. We should never simply give in for any reason. We each possess our own sentience which sets us apart from most life on this planet. It allows us to feel, act and respond the way we want without being slaves to our most primal instincts at all times.
First of all, yes, the path that's clear, I will choose free will (as well). Peart \m/

But to add to that, I think that a necessary corollary to free will is responsibility for our actions, precisely because we have a great deal of autonomy in life and unless it's something illegal, which is really a small spectrum of all potential behaviours, we have only ourselves to regulate... ourselves. So, I think having the will to act as independent creatures, as long as we are aware of the effect/causes we produce in the world, is the best of human nature.

And because I don't want to be left out of the party, compassion technically fits under all that, because it's a form of emotional responsibility :D

·
Registered
663 Posts
Love. It embraces the whole spectrum of qualities that we usually see as important. Love has many definitions and it means different things to each one of us. For me love is not something one feels...it is something one becomes. It is a way of interacting with an intention of caring with others. It is about doing what is best for everyone. To face life with humbleness, courage and tolerance. To see and accept everyone as they truly are. It is about other and learning to give. It can touch you in ways that anything else can't and inspire you to do things that previously you thought to be impossible.

It is about sharing and giving pleasure be it in a form of a gift, cake,hug, an advise, touching, kissing, inspiring, listening,etc. It is about helping each other growth.

·
Banned
1,742 Posts
...obviously was thinking the same thing hee hee....

·
MOTM October 2013
6,433 Posts
Well, on a cosmic level, adaptability. Species (and individuals) that survive/thrive best are the ones that can adapt to changes the best.

But on a human level, empathy. Empathy leads to mindfulness, compassion, and reluctance to harm (and willingness to aid) the people you empathize with.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Empathy.

The ability to let go of self in aims to compassionately understand another. The simple thought of this can bring me to tears.

·
[dis]illusioned
3,580 Posts
Kindness, compassion, empathy... these are all good, necessary things for humanity—things we should constantly fight for—but I'd have to say I value our diversity more than anything—the good and the bad; the caring, the apathetic, the passionate, the lazy, the educated, the uneducated, the rich, the poor, the idealistic, the rational, the tolerant, the bigots, the spineless, the brave, the emotional, the stoic, the political, the apolitical, the liberal, the conservative, the religious, the atheists, the agnostics, etc., the truth-seekers, the deniers, the stubborn, the compliant...

This is not a question of what the world "needs," I think, so much as what beauty exists in the present world—and acknowledging the ugliness inextricably linked to it. For me, that beauty lies in the sheer, rich tapestry of human minds, lives, and values. I try not to envision society as it ought to exist, nor will I offer up half-baked "solutions," but instead see it as it currently is and accept it, flaws and all. I accept it not in a defeatist's "good enough" mentality, but rather, I look at the beauty and ugliness straight in the eye, without averting my gaze.

What I am trying to say, I suppose, is that we must achieve a sense of balance and temperance. Treasure our values, but do not let them blind us to reality. See the flaws in our strengths, and the strengths in our flaws. See the best in the worst of people, and the worst in the best of people. Strive for the ideal in the face of reality. Let our passions guide us without turning to knee-jerk dogma.

Compassion is intensified in the face of indifference. Love is bolstered by the existence of hate. Those who seek knowledge are spurred on by the ignorance of others. Greed gives way to generosity. The good in life, I think, is made all the more precious because it contrasts so sharply with the things we fear and hate. Our recognition of the worst in humanity brings out the best in us. Perhaps we will forget the lessons we've learned and make the same mistakes again, but humanism, I believe, is like a compass quietly pushing us to improve. I do not believe in destinations so much as journeys; perhaps we will never achieve enlightenment, but if all we do is simply grow and improve ourselves, that is a good, small thing. Which is better than nothing, lol.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts