Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To myself, during the middle of the Nood era when they aired a lot of live-action shows, that was when CN started to die. Sadly, those live-action shows kept airing until the middle of 2013. I'm saying around the late 2000s, it didn't really went well.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I would say around 2004 when the classic checkerboard logo was replaced, when toonami was moved to Saturday's, & when some of the Cartoon Cartoons started get cancelled or taken of the network completely.

Though the network continued to keep my interest with the help of some of the Cartoon Cartoons still on the air and toonami and other blocks still being decent but it wasn't unitl mid-late 2006 when the network died atleast to me.

Around then all of theCartoon Cartoons (or close to it) were taken off (even reruns), toonami started to suck since it only played Naruto filler, the new bumpers were atrocious and it almost seemed like the network was going through puberty throughout the mid-late 00's because it seemed like evey year or so they changed their bumpers (ie. City era 2004-2006, Yes Era 2006-2007? Noodz era 2007-2009, CN Real Era 2009-???? You get the idea).

So if I would break it down it would look like this:

1992-1997: The Silver Age(it had tons of classic cartoons but it was still missing something)

1997-2004: The Golden Age(the golden age of the network hands down! An equal balance between classic toons, new toons(albeit at the time) and anime)

2004-2006: The Bronze Age(the start of the decline but it was still watchable)

2006-2008: The Idk wtf this era was(the peak of the decline, the network starts to become unbearable)

2008-2010: The Dark Ages(need I say more?)

2010-present: the revival(Things are much better now than that were a few years ago)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lets see now, As a child growing up I do remember watching all the hits of Cartoon Network among them my favs being Ed, Edd, n Eddy, Dexter's Lab, and Powerpuff Girls. The last show I watched from Cartoon Network was Ben 10 which came out around 2007 but after that I stopped watching the network and started focusing on more serious issues but that's the norm of growing up. However the only show that I watch on CN is Regular Show, but that's on rare ocassions.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On beyond the Dark Ages, why couldn't you just not watch the live-action shows?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
On beyond the Dark Ages, why couldn't you just not watch the live-action shows?
Because I personally wasn't really a big fan of the cartoons at the time shows like Flapjack, Chowder, Ben 10 Alien Force and a few other shows i can't think of right now.

But hey that's me, if you enjoyed those shows more power to you dude.

However for me the mixture of (imo) bad or mediocre cartoons, the lack of toonami, adult swim showing countless reruns of Family Guy(which they still do to this day) and of course the reality shows (which was a complete slap in the face to anybody who grew up with Cartoon Network) I just felt it was a very dark period for the network.

But hey if you liked that era then don't take my opinion be proud of what you grew up with

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think it's doing far better than when it was. I still watch Cartoon Network quite a bit, but I think the decline for me started with Flapjack and Chowder and around the time Toonami left where it was more and more cartoons and less anime. That's when I felt it was truly the end of an era. Now I'm not saying that Flapjack were and Chowder were bad shows. I really liked Chowder and Ben 10 but they started to milk it and I got lost towards the end of its run, but I personally didn't like Flapjack or My Gym Partner's a Monkey. Then the live-action era... WTF was that? But I think it's a lot better now. Total Drama Island wasn't bad, but wasn't necessarily good.

I felt like Adventure Time was carrying Cartoon Network for a while, but there are a lot more stronger shows now. Examples being Steven Universe which is probably my favorite show right now because it has a direction, which I feel like as Adventure Time is lacking. Adding more and more loose ends instead of tying them up, Regular Show and dare I say Gumball and even Clarence even has some redeeming qualities that reminds me of what I did as a child. The only weak shows are Uncle Grandpa and Teen Titans Go which should have never replaced Young Justice. It ended too soon. What really needs to happen is to stop alternating between Shrek and Diary of a Wimpy kid every other weekend.

But I think what people overlook is that the kids that grew up with Dexter, Powerpuff Girls, Courage the Cowardly Dog don't look past that era. I was like that for a while but I actually sat down and watched it to find at least some redeeming qualities about it. There are still a bit of good cartoons that came out then. Most of my friends refuse to watch the cartoons now because they "aren't good as the old ones." But I don't think that's necessarily true. People just grow up. But what I think Cartoon Network should do is come up with some more mature shows. Not comedy mature like Adventure Time and Regular show, but more action. Teen Titans, Justice League and Young Justice were like that, but then DC animated shows and movies have always been mature. But I would like to see more original mature shows. They have the comedy aspect down (I wish the Looney Tunes Show was still a thing...)

TLDR; Cartoon Network is coming back after a couple years of bad choices.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
In my opinion Cartoon Network's absolute best year in their entire history was 2002, at the time being 6 years old watching this channel I was hooked big time, and unless my parents told me to turn the TV off, I would never leave, at the time the channel seemed to have a full balance of classics, action shows, anime, and original Cartoon Cartoons that would entertain me nonstop, plus I remember these commercials with cartoons interacting in the CN studios with live-action people as well. I'll never forget that Summer of 2002 though watching all of those shows on Primetime, Cartoon Cartoon Fridays, and Toonami with the original checkerboard logo slapped on the bottom right screen.

So by decline, you mean the start of things decreasing, meaning that the channel is still really good, but it was the start of watering down the lineup. So coming from a person who was born in the mid-90's and started watching Cartoon Network on a regular basis around early 2001, IMHO I believe Cartoon Network started going on a decline around 2004 because it wasn't just the logo change that made my heart sunk a little bit even as an 8 year old then, but the logo change signified that the network was going to only change for the not so better.

Now some might disagree, but my biggest problem with 2004 was that it felt like the changes were overnight, now we still had great shows going on like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Teen Titans, Ed, Edd n Eddy, Duck Dodgers, What's New Scooby-Doo, Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, and Codename: KND, so I guess there were still enough great shows to keep me watching the channel with a smile on my face. However, but it seemed like the rest of the shows ended up being put on the back burner. Over half of the original Cartoon Cartoons got cancelled, and while reruns were still around throughout the mid-2000's, not that much, only on Friday mid-nights and Top 5.

Classics like Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies and much more that disappointed people got taken off the air and it wouldn't be until years when I would see that again. I don't understand why Looney Tunes spin-off's like Duck Dodgers (even tho I loved it) and Baby Looney Tunes (I hated this show) stayed, and Tom & Jerry and What's New Scooby-Doo were still around, but Looney Tunes was just removed to never be seen again, that's makes me scratch my head to this day. Now I know there are tons of people out here that weren't into Toonami, but I know that moving that block to Saturday nights only and the cancellation of SVES definitely disappointed people as well. The replacement was Miguzi, however, I liked most of the shows on that block so I was good.

Now not only many of the changes I didn't like, but the replacements weren't so good, I remember some shows premiering in 2005ish or so that seemed to be extremely babyish or cheesy that I could not find enjoyable. One of the biggest weaknesses with Cartoon Network in the mid-2000's was the weak original programming that debuted during this era. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and Ben 10 were probably the only good ones. The rest like Juniper Lee, Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi, Squirrel Boy, My Gym Partner's A Monkey, or Pet Alien were very mediocre/forgettable. At the time the original shows were airing Disney Channel and Nickelodeon had much higher quality ones (and got higher ratings too) like Danny Phantom, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Jimmy Neutron, American Dragon Jake Long, or Brandy & Mr. Whiskers.

Not going to name all of them but I remember some cookie cutter acquired shows or originals coming during this year, the good news is that there was enough variety of the great shows still going on to keep me tuned in, Toonami & Miguzi was still alright and there were still enough of the great shows I listed in my 2nd paragraph that kept me tuned in, and compared to today, I'd still take the variety that was around then. So the reason why I pick 2004 as the decline year is because it was the start of them watering down their lineup and compared to watching Cartoon Network throughout 2001, 2002, and 2003, it just wasn't the same channel anymore when EVERYTHING that used to come on there would entertain you on a consistent basis without switching the channel.

To me, I completely lost interest in the channel when around the time Teen Titans and Justice League Unlimited ended in 2006 and by then there were these red background commercials with annoying characters like Fred Burger and Cheese saying all these annoying jokes. Plus by then the Toonami lineups ended up declining for me with too much Naruto filter and the channel was filled with many original shows that I didn't like, you still had ones going on like Codename: KND, Foster's Home, Ben 10, Ed Edd n Eddy, and Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, but these shows would just be finishing its runs and it wouldn't be long until they end, but it wouldn't be until 2007 or so when the channel eventually hit rock bottom for me. Around 2007 or so I began watching G4, MTV, TrueTV, Food Network, Discovery Channel, and other stuff like that more.

Thankfully since 2010 with the debuts of Adventure Time & Regular Show, the channel has improved, and I agree with @INSANiTY on here that the channel need more variety, which I've complained about for a long time, what made Cartoon Network so great back in the Powerhouse days for example is that they had something called variety back then and had a whole large library of cartoons from classics, to action shows, to anime, to original programming that appealed to multiple audiences and demographics. You had tons of blocks to keep you tuned in. Today while Cartoon Network may have some of the greatest shows in their history, like Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe, Clarence, Uncle Grandpa, Amazing World of Gumball, and much more. There could me more variety than just original shows marathoning all day. Don't be afraid to air reruns of classics on there or some action shows once in a while. I'm glad that Looney Tunes is back on the regular weekday morning lineups though.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Because I personally wasn't really a big fan of the cartoons at the time shows like Flapjack, Chowder, Ben 10 Alien Force and a few other shows i can't think of right now.

However for me the mixture of (imo) bad or mediocre cartoons, the lack of toonami, adult swim showing countless reruns of Family Guy(which they still do to this day) and of course the reality shows (which was a complete slap in the face to anybody who grew up with Cartoon Network) I just felt it was a very dark period for the network.

But hey if you liked that era then don't take my opinion be proud of what you grew up with
Well, the Nood era wasn't really my favorite. I made this thread because I wanted to know why you despised Cartoon Network from 2008-2010.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

Well, the Nood era wasn't really my favorite. I made this thread because I wanted to know why you despised Cartoon Network from 2008-2010.
I see...

What was your favorite era?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I see...

My favorite era was probably CN City. Possibly because they aired almost everything that I loved back in the mid 2000s. Even the bumpers were really cool back then. But I actually liked Cartoon Network from the mid and late 2000s. Sure, it did went through a dark age at the time when the Nood era happened, but I didn't gave a fuck about that. Hell, Cartoon Network was my second-favorite cartoon channel behind Nickelodeon because I used to watch Spongebob all the time when it aired. Along with Toon Disney and PBS Kids. That was kinda like my life in the mid 2000s. I loved cartoons. Especially Nick Jr and Playhouse Disney since I was a little bit young.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I see...

My favorite era was probably CN City. Possibly because they aired almost everything that I loved back in the mid 2000s. Even the bumpers were really cool back then. But I actually liked Cartoon Network from the mid and late 2000s. Sure, it did went through a dark age at the time when the Nood era happened, but I didn't gave a fuck about that. Hell, Cartoon Network was my second-favorite cartoon channel behind Nickelodeon because I used to watch Spongebob all the time when it aired. Along with Toon Disney and PBS Kids. That was kinda like my life in the mid 2000s. I loved cartoons. Especially Nick Jr and Playhouse Disney since I was a little bit young.
That's awesome dude! My favorite probably has to be the Powerhouse Era which was from circa 1997 to 2004.

But I will admit 2004-2006 aka the City Era was still pretty good. It sort of sucked when they got rid of the original checker board logo but hey that might just be my nostalgia talking.

I just wasn't that fond of the Noods era but everybody's entitled to their own opinion

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think the release of Chowder (November 2007) was the beginning of the "death". It wasn't a horrible show, but I felt when Chowder was ending, 'What is this the beginning of...?' Now I know.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
That's awesome dude! My favorite probably has to be the Powerhouse Era which was from circa 1997 to 2004.

But I will admit 2004-2006 aka the City Era was still pretty good. It sort of sucked when they got rid of the original checker board logo but hey that might just be my nostalgia talking.

I just wasn't that fond of the Noods era but everybody's entitled to their own opinion
@OcarinaFan96

You started watching Cartoon Network around the time you got cable in late 2001 right? Or was it early 2002 when you started watching it on a regular basis?

I saw glimpses of it throughout 2000 at other people's houses, but it wouldn't be until March 2001 when I was 5 years old when I began watching that channel regularly. My uncle on my mom's side had died so in March 2001 all of my cousins, aunts, and family came down from New York and we had a family get together for his death over at my Aunt Renae's house, and that is my first vivid memory of the channel and we literally stayed up past midnight watching that channel for several hours, but I fell to sleep through it lol.

So I didn't get to experience the 1997-2000 part of the Powerhouse Era, but I DID get to experience the 2nd half of it from 2001-2004, and that was my time watching Cartoon Network on a regular basis. 2002 being my favorite year for Cartoon Cartoons and classics on Primetime and CCF. While 2003 was my favorite year for Toonami, SVES, and Summer Fridays. Either way, 2001, 2002, and 2003 were my 3 favorite years for the network in about everything it offered.

But yeah, despite the decline in 2004 the City was definitely a good era and the last good one for me, the bumpers and the CGI city look was so creative and fun and no other channel would have came up with it, and that Summer of 2005 was pretty epic. It seemed like the City Era had its ups and downs, it was like a bittersweet type era but still had enough variety to keep me hooked for 2 more years.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
@OcarinaFan96

You started watching Cartoon Network around the time you got cable in late 2001 right? Or was it early 2002 when you started watching it on a regular basis?

I saw glimpses of it throughout 2000 at other people's houses, but it wouldn't be until March 2001 when I was 5 years old when I began watching that channel regularly. My uncle on my mom's side had died so in March 2001 all of my cousins, aunts, and family came down from New York and we had a family get together for his death over at my Aunt Renae's house, and that is my first vivid memory of the channel and we literally stayed up past midnight watching that channel for several hours, but I fell to sleep through it lol.

So I didn't get to experience the 1997-2000 part of the Powerhouse Era, but I DID get to experience the 2nd half of it from 2001-2004, and that was my time watching Cartoon Network on a regular basis. 2002 being my favorite year for Cartoon Cartoons and classics on Primetime and CCF. While 2003 was my favorite year for Toonami, SVES, and Summer Fridays. Either way, 2001, 2002, and 2003 were my 3 favorite years for the network in about everything it offered.

But yeah, despite the decline in 2004 the City was definitely a good era and the last good one for me, the bumpers and the CGI city look was so creative and fun and no other channel would have came up with it, and that Summer of 2005 was pretty epic. It seemed like the City Era had its ups and downs, it was like a bittersweet type era but still had enough variety to keep me hooked for 2 more years.
Yeah same I remember glimpses of the network in 1999 & 2000 but it wasn't until we got cable in our entire household in late 2001 when I started to regularly watch CN.

I agree 2002 was the best year, so much nostalgia with that year especially watching CN late at night with my cousins during the summer vacation, while we ate Ice Cream. 2001, 2003 & 2004 were amazing years as well! 2005 & 2006 were decent. They still had some good shows on so I stuck around.

2007 and after I honestly do not have much fond memories of

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feel like that the early 2000s is the new 90s. I don't know what to say about the mid or late 2000s, but does anybody give a shit about 15 year olds being nostalgic about their childhood?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I feel like that the early 2000s is the new 90s. I don't know what to say about the mid or late 2000s, but does anybody give a shit about 15 year olds being nostalgic about their childhood?
Well the average 15 year old was born in 99 or 00. So using the peak childhood method we could conclude that a 99's peak would be 2004-2009 (age 5-10) and for a 00 born 2005-2010(5-10).

Also I'm not sure your aware of this but people are already nostalgic about the mid 00's, (I mean it was 10 years ago) however the late 00's are still sort of recent especially 2008 & 2009. I would give it time before the late 00's to become nostalgic.

Maybe in like 2017 or 2018 people might actually soften up to that time period a little more.

I mean just 5 years ago everybody was bashing the 00's but now most of the 00's (especially the 2000-2005/6) are now starting to become nostalgic by many people.

I would say by 2019/2020 there would be a 00's nostalgia movement and the 00's might start to become retro (heck 2000-2004 is already sort of retro).

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the average 15 year old was born in 99 or 00. So using the peak childhood method we could conclude that a 99's peak would be 2004-2009 (age 5-10) and for a 00 born 2005-2010(5-10).

Also I'm not sure your aware of this but people are already nostalgic about the mid 00's, (I mean it was 10 years ago) however the late 00's are still sort of recent especially 2008 & 2009. I would give it time before the late 00's to become nostalgic.

Maybe in like 2017 or 2018 people might actually soften up to that time period a little more.

I mean just 5 years ago everybody was bashing the 00's but now most of the 00's (especially the 2000-2005/6) are now starting to become nostalgic by many people.

I would say by 2019/2020 there would be a 00's nostalgia movement and the 00's might start to become retro (heck 2000-2004 is already sort of retro).
So, I should just be nostalgic over the mid 2000s, while wait for the late 2010s to happen and THEN wait for myself to be nostalgic about the late 2000s? I guess I'm a bit early since I'm already nostalgic for the whole 2000s as far I can remember.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
So, I should just be nostalgic over the mid 2000s, while wait for the late 2010s to happen and THEN wait for myself to be nostalgic about the late 2000s? I guess I'm a bit early since I'm already nostalgic for the whole 2000s as far I can remember.
Well you have the right to be nostalgic over anything really. Heck you could be nostalgic about yesterday. All I am saying is that most people 18 and over do not really see the 2007-2009 period as retro or dated yet because its still pretty recent. However anything from the mid 00s and before and most people will be nostalgic since many fashion, trends, technology, and tv shows are very dated by today's standards (especially anything before 2004).

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well you have the right to be nostalgic over anything really. Heck you could be nostalgic about yesterday. All I am saying is that most people 18 and over do not really see the 2007-2009 period as retro or dated yet because its still pretty recent. However anything from the mid 00s and before and most people will be nostalgic since many fashion, trends, technology, and tv shows are very dated by today's standards (especially anything before 2004).
Okay. I don't really feel nostalgic about the 2010s, though. But I think up to September or October 2010, I would be nostalgic over anything.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts