Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have you ever had a co-worker, or boss, act inappropriately at work? What unprofessional behavior have you endured?

My story:

I worked at a small businesses, where the owner, was with me all day. Right away, he wanted to control my whole life, even when I wasn't working. He started acting like a jealous boyfriend. He would not allow me to speak with male customers, & when I was friendly with female customers, he accused me of being attracted to them, which I wasn't. :crazy: Yet, he would be flirting with female customers, when his wife wasn't there. I had no respect for him.

One day a group of firemen came in to check our safety protocol, I didn't even greet them, for fear he would flip out. I just told him there was someone waiting to speak with him, out front. One of my good friends, sent me flowers to work, one day, signed "your secret admirer". Oh my goodness, he practically lost it, & kept asking me questions about who might have sent them. If she only knew, her kind gesture, caused me, so much grief. Whenever his wife was out of the office, he would tell me personal things about himself, & say, "I've never even told my wife that". :dry: I don't think he was interested in me romantically, even though he couldn't understand, why I didn't swoon, at the self proclaimed "ladies man". He just had issues with appropriate boundaries, & attachment.

When his wife was there, they would fight, & yell, even when a customer was present. His adult son, was not much better, he'd come behind my chair, while I was typing, & tickle my sides. These people had no concept of boundaries, or professionalism. I left after a year, I only stayed that long, because my previous employer got me the job, I was being loyal to him.

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,370 Posts
Good gracious. That's awful. :frustrating:

I used to work for what was essentially a cult. Should have been run just like any other business, but I think my former boss never quite got over the fact that he's not the next Jim Jones. I worked there for 3 years before he showed up, then I put up with 2 years of a descent into madness.

The dude was, like your former boss, completely oblivious to proper boundaries. I had to complain to HR to get him to stop being so handsy with female employees, and he was furious about it. There was a chunk of time where he would talk to me about nearly nothing but sex, and when I pointed this out to him he said "It's okay; you're married." To which I said "Not married to you. That part is kind of important."

He wasn't paying anybody competitive wage (there was literally a business right next door advertising a starting pay which was higher than what I had been making after 5 years), and if someone asked for a raise he would guilt-trip them for being "money hungry" despite making 6 figures himself. He makes everything an employee does a matter of character; if you're not falling in line with everything he wants, then you're just a bad person.

Oye. So glad I'm out of there. :dry:

Reactions: Mmmm

·
Banned
5,075 Posts
...And I was annoyed because my boss kept trying to feed me.

It sounds like your ex-boss was having relationship problems and was trying to turn you into his pillar of stability. He was telling you things he didn't even tell his wife because he wished he could tell his wife, he was pushing men away from you because the one who he actually didn't trust with other men was his wife. It's kind of like when someone tries to make you their one-way emotional support animal, except that in this case the 'animal' is a pet rock.

·
Registered
114 Posts
YES, I had this situation. My boss spoke very rudely to me and other employees until we directly told him about it. I did not tolerate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts