Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble discovering my type, that being said I'm rather open to my results, but I'd like to figure it out for both information and a little bit an emotional/ ego check. I have considered a couple different aspects of my situation and how those may affect my results. I'm a woman, a mother, in my late 20s, and was raised by sensing feelers.
I've been typed as an INTP and a 5 in my Enneagram.
I have a friend whose opinion I value (INTJ) who swears she believes I'm an ISFP or an INFP but with absolute certainty that I AM NOT an INTP.

I'm a recreational artist, I paint, sculpt, and do mixed media, I haven't ever found a medium I find difficult because usually I can make reasonable deductions of how to mold media to my will. In the past I didn't understand that not everyone could do this, I'm still often baffled but I know that technique can be taught but not intuition. After much consideration I think I can eliminate ISFP, what I described seems more of an NE artistic approach than an SE approach (correct me if I'm wrong).

So that leaves INFP or INTP.

I can enjoy conversations with "mom friends" though I will admit I pick up on the members of my group that have an extremely low tolerance of introspection or abstract conversation and I usually avoid them.
I can indulge the occasional small talk but I'm not sure what qualifies as small talk. We talk about weather, but we talk about affect weather can have on psyche. We talk about vaccinations and debate the ethical implications of not vaccinating and the actual validity of medical "professionals."
Is this still small talk?

I don't feel "cold" like most descriptions of INTPs, I do feel emotions don't have a place in difficult situations and when I do give counsel it's usually to tell my friends to stop being emotional and be rational. I don't think my friends like when I say that.

I sometimes have to excuse myself when they throw pity parties (Waa! My husband is the reason to all our marital problems. He won't listen to what I say but I have no interest in listening to him or helping him through his problems- true story. It happened last week and I almost gagged but instead I told her to stop complaining (it accomplishes nothing), distance herself from her feelings, be a reasonable adult and talk to her husband without judgement or bitterness. Everyone ignored me. I'm not sure why I actually have friends, maybe I just show up and make everyone uncomfortable. We may never know......).

However I digress!! Back to the subject.
I am not interested in reading history or creating a chronology. I'm an avid listener to passionate historians but find reading text books rather monotonous. The only other INTP I know is a male and a historian. He seems to have an unending wellspring of facts regarding alternate history but I can't bring myself to personally read about what he talks about. I know that every person has their own interests no matter their personality but it seems history is a common theme among INTPs.
That being said, I am deeply fascinated by the cosmos, physics and vibrations and have no problem reading and researching that topic. Albert Einstein was an INTP and he was AWESOME.

So what it comes down to is, I am analytical but not cold, I am interested in science but reading history facts bore me. With my husband I can be emotional and when people truly bother me I do become angry.

My biggest doubt is that my INTJ friend will swear up and down that I am not an INTP. I am somewhat doubtful of her motives because it is her husband that was the INTP and I am very little like him. She seems genuinely insulted that I've typed as an INTP or a 5.

I value her opinion but I am now wondering if I should ignore her insult and view myself as a logical individual, or if I should listen to her assessment and rethink if my "logical" perspective.

If I am an INFP then that would mean, what I would think is my objective perspective is in fact subjective, and worse still, subjective emotional opinion. It's a hard pill to swallow but the truth is the truth regardless of how I feel about it.
Does this resonate with an INFPs?
Am I an INFP who is fooling myself into believing I'm rational? (NOT saying that INFPs are irrational, merely that their rational comes from a subjective place rather than an objective global truth).
Like I said, I am ready to accept either, I merely want to know the processes I'm using.

So what is YOUR opinion? Am I completely off kilter? A rational mature INFP? An irrational, immature INTP? A borderline N ISFP? Or vice a versa? The combinations are endless!! Lol.

Also, if anyone has any advice on how to deal with my over opinionated INTJ friend I'd appreciate that. I'm ready to ignore her or concede to her but our relationship is at a stand still until I can reconcile myself one way or another.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
ISFP
105 Posts
I really think you should reconsider being an INTP. The way you seem to have typed yourself feels too boxed i guess. It's what everyone do when they first get into MBTI. My very first type was INTP because in the beginning i thought that because i do not care about anyone's emotions so i must be a thinker. I think most dom Fi users face that trouble in the beginning. Then when i started reading stuff and expanded my knowledge, i realized that i care way too much about people in a very subtle way and become too emotional to be a thinker. You see, being a feeler is not just about caring for everyone (It's because of this perception of feelers that mistypes happen; we must not forget that even Hitler was a feeler), it's more about having a deep understanding of either your emotions (Fi) or that of the others (Fe). Each of them can use this understanding for good or for bad. So a feeler does not has to be a saint to be a feeler just like how a thinker does not have to be an emotionless beast to be a thinker. That's just boxed up misxonceptions.
I think you should star by understanding the cognitive functions. Also, your way of eliminating ISFP does not looks like a correct approach of finding a type. My warning - stay away from stereotypes.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I think you're INTP. I'm comfortable with INTPs considering my best friend of 16 years is one. But! Here's my speculation of sorts. I’ll go with cognitive functions because they don’t use MBTI stereotypes to gather insight on behaviors (INTP can be artist).

I haven't ever found a medium I find difficult because usually I can make reasonable deductions of how to mold media to my will.
I am so tempted to call that Ti. Your will, I claim is the "framework" from which you utilize your creativity.

I do feel emotions don't have a place in difficult situations and when I do give counsel it's usually to tell my friends to stop being emotional and be rational. I don't think my friends like when I say that.
I told her to stop complaining (it accomplishes nothing), distance herself from her feelings, be a reasonable adult and talk to her husband without judgement or bitterness. Everyone ignored me.
Sounds like your delivery was too blunt. It’s possible the complaining lady and others do not take your counsel into consideration because you similarly have not acknowledged their emotions regarding the complaints. Sure, complaining doesn’t seem to accomplish much beyond catharsis. But since you’ve denounced their feelings, they feel they have truly accomplished nothing by venting to you. Seems like a mirrored reaction of disregarding attitude. I’d argue both you and the pity partyers feel somewhat neglected by that exchange. They got defensive and don’t care for your concise, albeit insensitive advice (which is effective I might add) and you didn’t acknowledge/validate their feelings. Your interaction appears to hold a similar neglectful pattern in how she interacts with her husband. Hmm… Anyway, it’s hard to accept advice when feeling defensive. Inferior Fe is a bit confused to discover people are offended by its statements. Perhaps… Are you caught off guard to find people are offended?

But I’ve ranted too long. INFPs wouldn’t disregard a person’s emotions in that matter unless perhaps they are in the grip of their critical, inferior Te. Or if they’re impassioned seeing a friend behave in such an ineffectual manner.

Both INTP and INFP are subjective personalities. Subjective truth vs. value.

I am deeply fascinated by the cosmos, physics and vibrations and have no problem reading and researching that topic.
ISFPs are concrete. And while that doesn’t mean they cannot perceive those topics, I doubt ISFP would actively seek it. Ti however, loves to devour information and add it to the massive framework.

I have a friend whose opinion I value (INTJ) who swears she believes I'm an ISFP or an INFP but with absolute certainty that I AM NOT an INTP.
Where’s the why? I've been with enough INTJs to know they've thought through their opinions quite a bit before asserting them to other people. You haven't specified if she's elaborated on why she believes you are INFP/ISFP, so I'll assume you haven't gotten her reasonings for that opinion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts