Personality Cafe banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
For the record, I would like to point out
it just generally looks like an 11th-grade media journalism project to me. possibly done with a preconceived goal of 'see, we can hold a civil discourse and learn things', but i wouldn't say much is learned from any angle.

·
Infractionated
I drive a blue tricycle with a gold bell.
8,597 Posts
A Great analysis:

I wasn't too familiar with the term, but I noticed (especially amongst the younger guys) a level of "commanding sex."

It's a subculture, and living out here in SoCal, I definitely have run across a few. They act very entitled. First they strike up a conversation (very forced), and an uncharming appeal, and then they get very disrespectful if you don't show a level of interest, immediately.

Incel is an actual group of young men and women who truly think sex is a God given right to them (that is a mental disorder right there). You can't go around demanding/commanding sex, and covertly/overtly so. That is rapist mentality.
There is a train station here that has to be the weirdest I've seen for what you're describing. It's the hangout spot of both pick up artists and people heavily involved with getting others to sign petitions. So it's almost like a game of "who am I being approached by" while I'm trying to catch a train.

I've overhead the pick up artists giving each other pep talks and then approach girl after girl... Which would be pretty amusing, but as the petition people also approach person after person it can be hard to tell who is approaching.

·
Registered
INTJ 583 sx/sp
456 Posts
There is a train station here that has to be the weirdest I've seen for what you're describing. It's the hangout spot of both pick up artists and people heavily involved with getting others to sign petitions. So it's almost like a game of "who am I being approached by" while I'm trying to catch a train.

I've overhead the pick up artists giving each other pep talks and then approach girl after girl... Which would be pretty amusing, but as the petition people also approach person after person it can be hard to tell who is approaching.
I really hope that's not in Europe.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
My immediate impression is that it's like a maid or butler saying that it's because of rich people that they have such a job they don't like. There wouldn't be a heirarchy to begin with if you didn't choose to focus on what you don't have rather than what you do. I really have no sympathy for people like this, who contribute to a movement all about bitching about how bad their lives are instead of doing something productive about it. Like, idk, maybe bettering yourself to a point where you ARE decently attractive mentally and physically. Even Michael Cera has a fiancee.

One of my best friends was like this. He was very overweight and always struck out, and would say things like "Women just want what's bad for them." My advice to him was to stop being a bitch to the pussy and find something else to do. It's difficult but not impossible.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I learned about incels mostly from other people talking about it online—kinda like it was a meme. I understand it to refer to men who don't have the level of intimate (primarily sexual) access to women that they want, who generally complain about that more than is typical, and, crucially, who say misogynistic things and display entitlement to that access. The dwelling on singlehood and the misogyny makes it worse than someone who is simply involuntarily celibate.

I know that it's a thing because there are incel forums and sub-reddits, but I sure as hell won't ever go read any of them. Incels or not, groups of men discussing women in such specialized spaces virtually always includes misogyny, and I've observed more than enough of that.

Seems like other people don't see the negative connotations, however, because I've seen a few people (even women) referring to themselves as incels. There is (or was) a sub-reddit for female incels, and I took a look at it. Pathetic, women who said they'll be alone forever and talk like ugliness is objective fact rather than personal preference.

Zero sympathy from me. If you want to see loneliness, take a look at the gay and lesbian communities. Being a heterosexual male is living life on easy mode; I'd rather focus on people who have real problems. I could be single for the rest of my life and you'd never find me uttering a single misogynistic word, and I actually did have a kinda shitty mother. Loneliness and poor parenting don't cause misogyny and entitlement.

·
Registered
INFP 459 sp/sx
68 Posts
During the times I curiously perused incel forums on Reddit a few years back, it seemed that they were rebelling mindlessly against everything "politically correct." I suspected these actions were unintended self-fulfilling prophecies in the sense that many of them were being as odious as possible in order to prove to themselves that they lacked worth and esteem in the eyes of others. They were reinforcing maladaptive personality traits by providing themselves with the scurrilous cover that elicited proof in their eyes of their inferiority, which was ironically used in some cases as proof of their superiority.

I also noticed that bullies and authoritarian-inclined individuals obliged them. I think vilifying them in the media and generalizing the brutality and violence of some of them to all of them is actually gratifying many of them because it fulfills their prophecy -- they lack worth and esteem in the eyes of others. They're monsters.

It would be better to drop the threat narrative that's part of that stereotype and compassionately approach them as individuals. Approaching them in this way may facilitate an opening to condition them into a different worldview; It may not.

That said, I generally dislike the stereotypes some on the internet are creating or perpetuating -- "Karens," "incels," etc. We already have words available to refer to the actions of individuals. Why do we have to make so many things so tribal? Hate the sin not the sinner.

That said, I try my best to avoid all this toxicity. However, some of it is making its way into the mainstream news. It's surreal to see these stereotypes being covered by the mainstream media. I never thought these stereotypes would begin to loom so large.

Reactions: Skimt
41 - 47 of 47 Posts