Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

Young female, and not particularly. Most of my family are Thinkers. I never finished Myers-Briggs because I felt like I was too biased and knew too much about the actual questions, so I ended up here.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

I inexplicably clicked on this picture of an old camera. I think I was drawn to it, in some way--maybe because I finished watching the Narnia films over winter break, and the leather wrapped around the camera reminds me of my childhood. It reminds me of this fairy-tale atmosphere that would unfold in England or Scotland or some other picturesque, idyllic countryside--I remembered Alice (from Wonderland) holding a camera very similar to the one in the picture, before traveling the world on her own. I don't know, I feel almost nostalgic. I can name a million other TV shows and movies that I can connect this picture to.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

Um, my initial reaction would probably be panic. Then, I would probably remember that if my body reacted to the things that happen to me on a daily basis, I would have cracked my skull open years ago. I have a lot of self-control, and I'm usually the "voice of reason" in my group. Outwardly, I would probably be calm and travel with the group to check out different parts of the car. I would probably analyze the situation and come up with conclusions that I would keep to myself; another person in the group might suggest looking for help, and I would just... go with the flow, I suppose?

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

I keep to myself, so I would probably find a way back home--even if everyone else goes. I mean, I don't think I would necessarily be happy about ending up alone, but I wouldn't be unhappy, either. On the taxi ride home, I might wallow in silence or passive-aggressively text my friends to see if the party really is a train wreck.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

If I'm not too close with that person, I would probably say something offhandedly sarcastic. My father and I have never gotten along well, since we have personal beliefs that consistently clash. If I'm close with that person, I would probably go all-in and question them--lightly--at first. Something along the lines of: "Can you repeat that for me? Do you really believe that? Are you serious?" I'm usually cold and aloof when defending my opinions, but if other people get involved, my emotions tend to escalate.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

Again, I would passive-aggressively call them out. I'm reserved, so I wouldn't actively protest or get really emotionally involved. I might confront the people involved in private and ask them about their motives, but nothing really beyond that--I'm pretty detached from most situations, even though it depends on what belief/experience/habit is being threatened. My older brother points out that if I tend to go through these "phases": I'm very fixated on one thing for long periods of time, and if that value is attacked, I might become extremely offended.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

patience, self-sacrifice, courtesy and an unyielding vision. I loved being a 'people-pleaser' as a child, and I've continually upheld the values that I was fixated on as a child. I don't think they overrule aspects of my life, but I think they're just naturally incoporated in my daily routine--in small acts of kindness.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

I personally think I have a lot of self-control, and that I always "think before I act." Even though I'm mentally well-organized, I'm absent-minded and often forget where I am, or why I'm in a certain room in my apartment. I tend to lose a lot of things. I have a hard time in conversations because I usually ask logical questions that involve order and organization: "Who's your favorite? Who's your least favorite? Can you rank these for me?" They tend to get a little boring. I'm perceptive and can often feel tension or the emotions of a room changing, but my "hunches" have never been explicitly confirmed. My brother thinks that I'm an INTJ, but I have low self-confidence and I care about what other people think--my mother used to take me to therapy as a child because I was "highly sensitive."

I have heavy mood swings, and get attached very easily. When I'm fixated on a person, I take the time to get to know them and discover their weaknesses. In arguments, I often exploit those weaknesses and use them (verbally) to surprise and offend the person. In the heat of the moment, I usually think I'm being subtle and manipulative, but I probably just come off as blunt and ruthless. Still, these arguments take place very infrequently, but I'm not sure what triggers them.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

I pay attention to them, definitely. They're usually triggered when I feel cornered/afraid, and I look for a way out. I use my intuition often when talking to people and picking up conversation cues, and I can "read" people semi-easily.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

reading, writing poetry, thinking absent-mindedly. I usually love having time for myself during the day. being alone makes me very very happy, but I don't mind being in a group of my closest friends, or just sitting in silence together.

the activities that drain me the most: probably being around large crowds, being forced into something that I don't necessarily want to do. interacting with my family. talking / public speaking. debating. some competitions (I enjoy others.) sports.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I think I repress a lot; I've always wanted to try new things, and even though I have the time to, I never really step out of my "comfort zone." I always gravitate to safe. I've always loved high fashion and the arts, but I mostly stay holed up in my dorm writing poetry--I don't have the money to spend on aesthetics, but romanticizing those things lift my mood. I have this "outer shell" that I usually use around strangers--in conversations, I usually drift pretty far away. I pace a lot in the living room, muttering to myself; I still daydream about being a character in a movie franchise that I particularly adore. I have observations about other people that I tuck away in some secret compartment, and when I see them again, I remember these observations before I even think of their names.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts