Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I take an MBTI test, the result is mostly INTJ, but sometimes it's ENTJ. And it's correct, I'm somewhere in the middle and both descriptions match my personality.

Now, according to this article, we fix our dominant function between the age of 6 and 12. In those years, I always became the leader of any given group which suggests that my natural type is ENTJ.

But after that, say 10-14, I became totally introverted (almost no friends and hardly any social contact). Post-14, I decided to work on my social skills again (lots of parties, very popular in high school) and since then it hasn't changed.

Nowadays, I don't have the aura of a leader and I rarely lead. I'm confident and very assertive, but not a leader type, though I can easily depose incompetent leaders. And in those rare occassions that I become the leader, it feels uncomfortable, but also very intriguing.

So would you say I'm INTJ or ENTJ? What advice can you give me for the development of my personality?

·
Registered
501 Posts
When I take an MBTI test, the result is mostly INTJ, but sometimes it's ENTJ. And it's correct, I'm somewhere in the middle and both descriptions match my personality.

Now, according to this article, we fix our dominant function between the age of 6 and 12. In those years, I always became the leader of any given group which suggests that my natural type is ENTJ.

But after that, say 10-14, I became totally introverted (almost no friends and hardly any social contact). Post-14, I decided to work on my social skills again (lots of parties, very popular in high school) and since then it hasn't changed.

Nowadays, I don't have the aura of a leader and I rarely lead. I'm confident and very assertive, but not a leader type, though I can easily depose incompetent leaders. And in those rare occassions that I become the leader, it feels uncomfortable, but also very intriguing.

So would you say I'm INTJ or ENTJ? What advice can you give me for the development of my personality?
ENTJ does not a leader make.

·
Registered
842 Posts
ENTJ does not a leader make.
What...?

ENTJs often feel the urge to want to take the lead. INTJs will only think about it if their superior is a piece of junk/failure at life. They both wouldn't hesitate to be the leader, but the ENTJ's natural tendency to be dominant tends to push him/her into such a duty. Either way, it doesn't mean that they WILL lead. It takes a lot skill and interpersonal development (which XNTJs typically like to invest in anyway...) to be the leader.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sounds like INTJ to me. being uncomfortable to leading, maybe because of the number of social interactions that arise from that, but still being intrigued and stimulated by new circumstances and knowledge.
To develop your personality i would say the first thing you must do is set a priority list (e.g.What feels more natural to you?). For instance, you can decide by distiguishing between your natural response and your thought out decision in a situation. That is, if you talk to somebody because you feel like having a conversation vs. talking to them because you think that the persons friendship might be mutually beneficial, even if you do not necessarily feel like having a conversation.

·
Registered
501 Posts
What...?

ENTJs often feel the urge to want to take the lead. INTJs will only think about it if their superior is a piece of junk/failure at life. They both wouldn't hesitate to be the leader, but the ENTJ's natural tendency to be dominant tends to push him/her into such a duty. Either way, it doesn't mean that they WILL lead. It takes a lot skill and interpersonal development (which XNTJs typically like to invest in anyway...) to be the leader.
Seems like you understand my point.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Sounds like INTJ to me. being uncomfortable to leading, maybe because of the number of social interactions that arise from that, but still being intrigued and stimulated by new circumstances and knowledge.
To develop your personality i would say the first thing you must do is set a priority list (e.g.What feels more natural to you?). For instance, you can decide by distinguishing between your natural response and your thought out decision in a situation. That is, if you talk to somebody because you feel like having a conversation vs. talking to them because you think that the persons friendship might be mutually beneficial, even if you do not necessarily feel like having a conversation.
INTJs aren't really focused on auras, and they do hesitate to be leaders. Especially if they feel it's not worth it.

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
if you talk to somebody because you feel like having a conversation vs. talking to them because you think that the persons friendship might be mutually beneficial
In this regard, I'd say I'm introvert. When I go to a party, the first thing I do is to size up the situation and filter who would be best for a conversation. But then again, it's natural for me to start conversations with strangers. My friends see me as an extrovert and I'm very good when it comes to networking.

INTJs aren't really focused on auras, and they do hesitate to be leaders. Especially if they feel it's not worth it.
I'm not really focused on auras. It's just that I realized that difference. I want to lead, though, and I have the skill and courage to do so. I'm also good with winning the sympathy of other people, I have charisma, but not good in leading other people or convincing them, especially SP and SJ.

·
Registered
648 Posts
In this regard, I'd say I'm introvert. When I go to a party, the first thing I do is to size up the situation and filter who would be best for a conversation. But then again, it's natural for me to start conversations with strangers. My friends see me as an extrovert and I'm very good when it comes to networking.

I'm not really focused on auras. It's just that I realized that difference. I want to lead, though, and I have the skill and courage to do so. I'm also good with winning the sympathy of other people, I have charisma, but not good in leading other people or convincing them, especially SP and SJ.
Have you taken a cognitive functions test?
Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

I highly suggest taking this and seeing whether you get Te as a dominant function or Ni as a dominant function.
INTJs are purely Ni dominant.
ENTJs are Te dominat.

This helped me decide my type, and is much more accurate as it will somewhat gauge what cognitive functions you are using the most.
Also, it's very difficult to decide whether you are an extrovert/introvert based on purely social interactions like a "party".

See if that test helps you at all.
Sorry also if that information is redundant.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
My personal experience on why I am an E:

I feel absolutely awesome after working all day in groups... having meetings, going out to lunch with colleagues, etc. I feel like a million bucks come home saying how great of a day I've had if I interact with others. If I give a presentation, its like drinking coffee. I get fired up after it.

If I sit in front of a computer at work all day and do nothing but work in MS Office, Excel, etc and not talk to anyone. I come home feeling like I just ran a marathon. I feel so mentally drained and borderline depressed.

I'm not a fan of parties, crowded bars, or even interested in social events (going out with friends, etc). I like my socializing to have purpose. Getting interviewed, buying a house (talking to agents, bankers, etc)... these things make me feel good.

As for the ENTJ extroverted thinking portion. I think out loud. I have no problem going up to the front of a room with a whiteboard and marker and drawing brainstorming ideas out of people. There is no internal thought process. It just comes naturally and instantly.

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you taken a cognitive functions test?
Thank you for the link. It says "your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTJ" (alternatives are ENTJ and INTP), but the scale shows the following:

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************** (38.1)
extraverted Thinking (Te) ****************************************** (42.3)

Funny, huh? I think I must make up the answer and I will type myself xNTJ.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The doctor said i was a paranoid schizophrenic. He didn’t actually say that but we knew he was thinking it. Perhaps you flit between the two-eeek.

Sure ENTJs like to lead by brute force and push everyone else out of their way to make room for their expanding brilliance.

Do you have insane urges to push people into a volcano for not acknowledging your brilliance and giving you gold stars.
Do you devour people’s souls. The more splendiferous the feast the more alive you become.
Do you have a throne or a bean bag
Do you live in a castle or cave

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
We don't desire to push people in volcanoes nor do we lead by brute force. We think out loud - solve and think through our problems vocally, so people (especially introverts) view this as us forcing our agenda on them. That's not really the case. We are just expecting others to speak up and put in their input just as we do. Failure to do so (sitting there saying nothing) means you are passive or in agreement with us. We don't have patience to sit there in silence and wait for people to think through problems. Nor do we even realize that people are doing so (what is the difference between the guy sitting there thinking through the problem and the guy sitting there with nothing useful to say and/or daydreaming about the weekend?).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.