Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Issue with personality type

I have a problem finding my personality type since I tend to change my mind about things really quickly.
I'm a bit confused especially thinking that the tests have said that I was ISTp, ENTp, ISTj, INFp and now ESTj.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you really want to know, you should spend time researching the typing system. Read detailed descriptions of all the types and instead of accepting the stereotypes at their surface, ask yourself what mental architecture is likely to cause them (here's a brief explanation)

Also realize that mbti is not as extreme as some forum posts might have you think. Personalities exist on a continuum of often changing variables. Sometimes we are introverted, sometimes extroverted. We all use S and N functions. The fun comes in identifying which functions you rely on most often, and which functions you can work on strengthening

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If you really want to know, you should spend time researching the typing system. Read detailed descriptions of all the types and instead of accepting the stereotypes at their surface, ask yourself what mental architecture is likely to cause them (here's a brief explanation)

Also realize that mbti is not as extreme as some forum posts might have you think. Personalities exist on a continuum of often changing variables. Sometimes we are introverted, sometimes extroverted. We all use S and N functions. The fun comes in identifying which functions you rely on most often, and which functions you can work on strengthening
Thanks but it didn't really help :/

Short about me:
I tend to despise my emotions

I tend to tell people things that they get offended by without really knowing why they got offended.

I tend to have a hard time with emotions (I almost start to cry when talking about something that I find sensitive or that affect me on an emotional level i.e. I almost started to cry when I was talking
about an operation that I will go through)

I'm easily hurt

I take things personally really easily

I want people to say what they think above telling white lies

I automatically drop friendships when they aren't in my current environment (or I make them into acquaintances)

If I hate someone, then I hate that person in a really stubborn way and they will have a really hard time to get on my good side.

I don't do small-talks

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Do you think that I might be an INFP?

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to take the matter into my own hands, and I read up on the MBTI definition of E, I, S, N, T, F, P, J, and decided that the functions I, S, T, and P suited me the best.
So now I call myself an ISTP :happy:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Um, the letters aren't the same as the functions.

ISTP: Breaking Down the Type

Dominant
Se--the function that relies on a continuous feedback loop from the environment, so it pays attention to the environment.

Auxiliary
Ti--the analytical and systematic version of Thinking.

Tertiary
Fe--the community function, concerned with people and how they interact.

Inferior
Ni--the see-the-real-picture function, completely objective. (You shouldn't relate to this one much if you're an ISTP.)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Um, the letters aren't the same as the functions.

ISTP: Breaking Down the Type

Dominant
Ti--the analytical and systematic version of Thinking.

Auxiliary
Se--the function that relies on a continuous feedback loop from the environment, so it pays attention to the environment.

Tertiary
Ni--the see-the-real-picture function, completely objective.

Inferior
Fe--the community function, concerned with people and how they interact. (You shouldn't relate to this one much if you're an ISTP.)
There, fixed it for you. What you described was ESTP

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Not if it was Socionics, which it seemed to be. So you didn't fix it, you made it incomprehensible.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Dnt fully rely on a test to tell you which type fits u best, introspection is key. Also when it comes to cognitive functions they can be a bit off and you can still be a certain type.

Hope it works out for you

·
Registered
766 Posts
Not if it was Socionics, which it seemed to be. So you didn't fix it, you made it incomprehensible.
The expressions "dominant", "auxiliary", "tertiary" and "inferior" are usually used for MBTI rather than Socionics.
Socionics would be "base", "creative", "role, "vulnerable", "suggestive", "mobilizing", "ignoring" and "demonstrative".
Socionics would also call the type either ISTp or ISTj, not ISTP (note the lowercase letters).
None of those types has the function order Se-Ti-Fe-Ni in any system. ISTP and ISTj are Ti-Se-Ni-Fe, ISTp is Si-Te-Fi-Ne.
Someone with extroverted Se as a dominant function would have to be extroverted.

I think I did fix it.

·
Banned
2,187 Posts
I noticed something about the MBTI questions for most of the tests. They seem to ask if you "plan" your actions and are you an "improviser?" These questions if answered yes usually place you as a "J" rather then "P." This I think can be misleading because for me personally and I am guessing for you; I always "plan" everything but always change my plans or do not act on them as I originally "planned." Why I feel I am a P more than J despite answering truthfully to the questions on the MBTI. What are your thoughts on that?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
No, I was attempting to describe MBTI. But I think the OP is referring to Socionics, now that you point it out, or maybe he's just insanely confused. Either way, I should get my butt out of here.

·
Banned
2,697 Posts
  1. Figure out your dominant function. It's the one you use the most in life. Pick between extroverted sensing (Se), introverted sensing (Si), extroverted intuition (Ne), introverted intuition (Ni), extroverted thinking (Te), introverted thinking (Ti), extroverted feeling (Fe), or introverted feeling (Fi)? Use the descriptions here.

2. Figure out your auxiliary function. It's the one you use the second most, and it shapes the first dominant function. Use that same website.

3. Put the other 6 in the order you use them. Do the best that you can. Don't worry about what they're called, whether they're extroverted or introverted, or if they're in a strange seeming order. If some are tied, note that.

4. Post your results here. Do you see how I have it in my signature? People can help you analyze them. This will help us know how you tick.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, my biggest problem now is from a test I did.

(Se) (20.6) limited use
(Si) (29.1) average use
(Ne) (30.5) good use
(Ni) (33.5) good use
(Te) (16.1) limited use
(Ti) (23.3) limited use
(Fe) (39.5) excellent use
(Fi) (46.8) excellent use

·
Banned
2,697 Posts
(Se) (20.6) limited use
(Si) (29.1) average use
(Ne) (30.5) good use
(Ni) (33.5) good use
(Te) (16.1) limited use
(Ti) (23.3) limited use
(Fe) (39.5) excellent use
(Fi) (46.8) excellent use
Okay, so the order the test gave you is Fi > Fe > Ni > Ne = Si > Ti > Se > Te.

Here are my thoughts:
  • Many people with Fi are who mature, polite, and decided to value social graces have also developed their Fe. I certainly have. That could explain testing high for both.

• If you think you're Fi & Ni, perhaps you're an ISFP or INTJ with a dominant-tertiary loop going on. You kind of have an ISFP vibe too.

• If that doesn't ring true for you, and you think your top two could be Fi & Ne, I'd say check out ENFPs too, which was my original hunch. We're very diverse, and many of us have crazy function line-ups. My odd one is in my signature. I could pass for any type any day, depending on my mood and my company.

·
Banned
2,697 Posts
Well, it's hard to find info on all types that aren't stereotype based.
I checked the "you know you're a x when..." for the types that you suggested, but they didn't really suit me.
First of all, don't go by type stereotypes. They don't really mean anything. That's why you're getting yourself confused. Go by the functions.

Which types? For ISFP and INTJ, that's because you'd be on a dominant-tertiary loop if you were one. You wouldn't act like a normal person of either type. Do you ever feel like you have Paranoid Personality Disorder? Are you distrustful of others' intentions?

As for ENFPs, as I said, we're all over the place. I definitely don't fit the bill for a run of the mill ENFP either. Which parts didn't seem like you of that description?

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Which types? For ISFP and INTJ, that's because you'd be on a dominant-tertiary loop if you were one. You wouldn't act like a normal person of either type.
So I'd be a INTJ with strong Fi/e?

Do you ever feel like you have Paranoid Personality Disorder? Are you distrustful of others' intentions?
Sure, I have a hard time trusting others, but I was bullied between the age of 6 - 15, so that might have something to do with it...

Which parts didn't seem like you of that description?
I guess it was the E part, I don't really find myself to be extroverted

·
Banned
2,697 Posts
So I'd be a INTJ with strong Fi/e?
If you were an INTJ, you'd be stuck in a Ni-Fi loop. It's a possibility to consider (not that you don't already have enough).

I guess it was the E part, I don't really find myself to be extroverted
I saw that you considered both introverted and extroverted types. ENFPs are ambiverts when you take the term on its own. We're the single most introverted extroverts, and INFPs are the single most introverted introverts. I actually test as an I, but I lead with Ne. Leading with Ne doesn't make one as extroverted seeming as any other extroverted functions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts