Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to be a common, though not often stated, perception of all ExxP types, including ENTPs. I can even see how that might be seen as true; after all, we are known for our dislike of commitment, the desire to keep our options open, and all the ruminating we do over all possible outcomes. Naturally, we would seem indecisive to the untrained eye.

HOWEVER...

I think this is a HUGE misconception. Indecisive implies that most of us find it difficult to figure out the best course of action to take. In my case, at least, that's not true. I actually find it very easy to choose a course of action, and it can be pretty difficult to change my mind once it's been made up. I think, on the contrary, that I'm very decisive; what may look like indecision is the fact that I'm often not committed to an idea or a course of action, and can switch tactics at the sign that there is something better that will come about as a result. I'm also perfectly willing to modify things to better fit the situation (like I'm doing with this post, lol), because I'm addicted to improvement.

Therefore, I don't think we're indecisive, at least, I'm not; I think that the right word here is unpredictable (at least, to those who aren't ENTPs, lol). Not that this is a surprise, mind you, but it's a difference that I don't think gets much attention.

How many of you ENTPs understand what I'm saying here? Do you consider yourself indecisive, or do you think you're just unpredictable? Is there even a significant difference between the two? If so, how does that usually manifest itself in your lives?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think, on the contrary, that I'm very decisive; what may look like indecision is the fact that I'm often not committed to an idea or a course of action, and can switch tactics at the sign that there is something better that will come about as a result. I'm also perfectly willing to modify things to better fit the situation (like I'm doing with this post, lol), because I'm addicted to improvement.
Completely agree.

Keeping options open seems the most logical strategy for most situations. I'll avoid locking myself down until the last possible second...and then some. On the other hand, what's logical for me isn't necessarily comforting to others. Sometimes I'll force myself to lock into a decision early for people to make them more comfortable. But I'm extremely unlikely to extend that courtesy to strangers, or people with any kind of authority.

My first response to an employer's request for a decision is usually, "When do you have to have that by?" They won't get my decision a second early. Especially considering how long they wait before delivering paychecks and reimbursements. F^*$ 'em.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
The appearance of indecision annoys the intj in my life to no end. My personal compensation to this is to follow the motto "better a bad plan done well than a good plan done badly", which gets waived around when I do what comes naturally and disregard the motto to follow what seems to be the better option at that time.

You're right though, dark romantic, I have no problem making a decision, it's just the the initial decision is generally done before I've gotten enough data to make a good call, and I have to at least start doing something.

This urge to do something, coupled with a natural disregard for failure (it'll work itself out...) tends to result in the self knowledge that "of course I'll have to do something else later", and the acceptance for when that occurs, which looks unpredictable when seen from the outside. To us, it's just part of a meta-level plan,

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keeping options open seems the most logical strategy for most situations. I'll avoid locking myself down until the last possible second...and then some. On the other hand, what's logical for me isn't necessarily comforting to others. Sometimes I'll force myself to lock into a decision early for people to make them more comfortable. But I'm extremely unlikely to extend that courtesy to strangers, or people with any kind of authority.

My first response to an employer's request for a decision is usually, "When do you have to have that by?" They won't get my decision a second early. Especially considering how long they wait before delivering paychecks and reimbursements. F^*$ 'em.
Yes, I agree here. Plus, whenever I do lock into a decision, I have pretty good reasons as to why I chose to do things that way, and not another. I can change my direction when something I hadn't considered comes into play, but I have no problem going with what I know is the best course of action at the time, and modifying it later. In fact, I don't see how this would be compatible with indecision at all; I put things into practice very quickly, actually; I just keep things loose enough to tweak to the situation.

@bellisaurius: Yeah, I've noticed that a lot of the time, people and I aren't on the same wavelength as far as decision-making is concerned. A lot of times, they want a course of action implemented immediately, which I have no problem doing when it makes sense to: when you're running off of a guess, more info is always better. Other times, they want to sit and ruminate, and I'm just like "lol, I already figured out the best thing to do here, let's stop wasting time and just do it.".

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am not indescisive. It's just like you said (great post btw), I like to keep my options open and once I make a decision it's pretty much gonna happen unless someone shows me some obscure nugget of logic that I missed or I die or I lose interest. :p

In my opinion indecision is more what occurs when one lacks confidence in a decision they make and he/she ends up vacilating between choices unable to act. Yes because I'm a perceiver I like to keep my options open, but I still make a decision; I just leave room for that decision to be altered later. Regardless of if the plan is altered, I still make a decision.

And yes, technically I am unpredictable because one can never quite guess what I'm going to do or say at any given time, but it's pretty much a given that, for almost every situation, I'm going to do something. In this way I'm predictable. I'm predictable in my unpredicability :cool:

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I understand. I am neither specially decisive nor indecisive, but metadecisive. What matters is to decide whether I can take a decision or not. So I'm just committed to the mechanisms of my ideas. I'll defend the mechanisms, not the idea. That said I'm widely open to criticism, but most of the time I'll just improve myself via self-criticism because people generally don't give a shit about their own mechanisms and attack mine via the huge mess of cognitive biases which protects their little beloved ideas. The less you have, the more you value it.

·
MOTM Nov 2012
3,819 Posts
Totally agree. I don't consider myself indecisive, I just have a very strong preference for keeping things open ended in case circumstances change, I avoid commitment. When I do make a decision it will be set, it will happen and likely with great urgency.

I don't think that comes across as unpredictable though, as you can predict that I'll keep things open 90% of the time and resist pressure being placed on me when I am not happy with the options currently presented.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts