Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two years ago I took the test and I was INTP consistently. But then a son was born to me and now I consistently test INFP as well as Enneagram Type 9 - peacemaker. I am currently 33 years old.

I pursued one carreer, but hated it, was fired during the economic downfall and... I loved it. since then I am stuck with free-lance and a family. I would like to start a new career, but cannot seem to make a decision on which direction to go. I am not sure what I like... plus a mild depression from time to time. My wife would like to emigrate, and I would like to change a place of living too, but we are both not sure which country we would like to live in... or should we stay where we are... my wife too has a professional crisis, she also does not want to do what she did before the birth of the child. now, both of us a as if in a limbo, not sure where to live, not sure what to do.

I try to make a decision, but i don't feel my heart, i feel that whatever decision i am making, i am betraying it right away. and when i do that i feel that it is useless to make that decision, because i feel that i will not follow through with action. trying to break away from that cycle of false decision and half hearted action that fail i feel desperate...

any ideas of how to escape from the limbo and take a path instead of sitting at the cross-roads eternally... it is boring at the cross-roads, everybody passes somewhere and you just sit and stare...

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Sounds like a tough situation, hope everything works out for you! Maybe decide on a location that will be a great place to raise your son.

Reactions: vakula

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Me are indecisive too, with just about everything from decisions about people, health, what to do today.
I find that actively practicing decisiveness, like just choosing the most logically suitable option, and choosing it right away instead of analyzing every option, helps. Over time of practicing, decision will become more prevalent.
Soon it will become intuitive rather than logical.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Comeeeee on over to Canada!
We're one of the most ethnically diverse countries in the world, plus we got health care :p.

Focusing on your specific situation, it's rather common to have a switch in career choice throughout your life. I honestly think you should never specialize in one thing. Think of it all as an incredible opportunity to expand your own awareness, but also avoid the redundancy that you may have experienced before.

As for the kind of career to look into, hrm.. I think a lot of people struggle with that and some just end up settling. I usually recommend volunteer work / early post secondary courses, but that might not be a viable option in your situation. Perhaps you may want to look at career counselling services within your area and they will help you explore a variety of encompassing fields that you may enjoy.

While I can only imagine this can all be incredibly stressful, it's also somewhat exciting, isn't it?

Reactions: Matchbook

·
Registered
897 Posts
About two years ago I took the test and I was INTP consistently. But then a son was born to me and now I consistently test INFP as well as Enneagram Type 9 - peacemaker. I am currently 33 years old.

I pursued one carreer, but hated it, was fired during the economic downfall and... I loved it. since then I am stuck with free-lance and a family. I would like to start a new career, but cannot seem to make a decision on which direction to go. I am not sure what I like... plus a mild depression from time to time. My wife would like to emigrate, and I would like to change a place of living too, but we are both not sure which country we would like to live in... or should we stay where we are... my wife too has a professional crisis, she also does not want to do what she did before the birth of the child. now, both of us a as if in a limbo, not sure where to live, not sure what to do.

I try to make a decision, but i don't feel my heart, i feel that whatever decision i am making, i am betraying it right away. and when i do that i feel that it is useless to make that decision, because i feel that i will not follow through with action. trying to break away from that cycle of false decision and half hearted action that fail i feel desperate...

any ideas of how to escape from the limbo and take a path instead of sitting at the cross-roads eternally... it is boring at the cross-roads, everybody passes somewhere and you just sit and stare...
Hi,
I'm 28 right now, and when I'm reading your story, I can truly really 'feel' and able to somewhat relate a lot with it!
Unfortunately, I don't have "THE answer", as I am still constantly struggling myself, basically we're on the same boat.
But one particular blog & writing that I've read this morning has really somewhat magically soothed my heart so much, and I invite you (& any other INFP struggling with similar issues) to read this blog-writing:

Quitting To Win

hope the article would give some perspective & opening mind, as it surely did to me!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Im probably not really the best person to answer because well I dont have any such experience and Im really young but here goes my two cents:
Decisions that drive me up a wall asking questions and make me nervous and such I mull over for a long time and once I fry my brain entirely I just pick one.
Really.
By that point I cant really fight with the decision anymore and hope for the best.
Just make sure if you move that you can get out of any bad situations and can move if it wasnt right. You'll carry over some experience to the next place. At least I think so.:proud:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think once you find out what you like, you can brainstorm up some jobs that fit. It might help to move first. In a new place, you might get some inspiration :happy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
I'm 28 right now, and when I'm reading your story, I can truly really 'feel' and able to somewhat relate a lot with it!
Unfortunately, I don't have "THE answer", as I am still constantly struggling myself, basically we're on the same boat.
But one particular blog & writing that I've read this morning has really somewhat magically soothed my heart so much, and I invite you (& any other INFP struggling with similar issues) to read this blog-writing:

hope the article would give some perspective & opening mind, as it surely did to me!
Thanks for the mail... but cannot get through the pop-up in the web-site

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think once you find out what you like, you can brainstorm up some jobs that fit. It might help to move first. In a new place, you might get some inspiration :happy:
First i thought that i have to find out what do i want to do first and then move, but now I tend to agree with moving first - just jumping into the ocean....

·
Registered
375 Posts
First i thought that i have to find out what do i want to do first and then move, but now I tend to agree with moving first - just jumping into the ocean....
Jumping into the ocean?....can you be more Pacific?

I agree that if you are capable of moving to a new location and settling in without too much financial risk, that would be a good idea. New places require new outlooks, and new outlooks help repair decision-making processes that have been subject to too much repetition. What do you want to achieve most in a career? What are your top interests? Find a career that can fulfill both your top interests and offer opportunity to achieve what you most want to in work. But in the meantime, if you move, it's realistic to settle for a job that is at least a building block toward those goals, I think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts