Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is a trait I solely possess or if it is common among INTP's. Praise has never really registered with me. Even when I was quite young when complimented I didn't know how to react besides the accustomed "thank you". Criticism also has never really worked with me. I can be walking down the street and have some scream F you! I won't even break stride. While in school professors can tell me my work is genius or incompetent, neither of which matters in the least. How does everyone else react in such circumstances?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Criticism doesn't affect me unless I know it's true. It won't make me sad, it will only make me hide or work on it. If it's something I am alright with, all I'd go with is, "Meh."

Praise makes me feel good obviously, but most of the time I'll act like a skeptical bastard or wouldn't know how to react or just change the topic.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I dont seek praise, my work speaks for itself.

As for criticism, show me a better way.
That's a good way of putting it. Praise can feel good I suppose, but the reason I do quality work is not so that I can be praised. It's because I want to produce things that are high quality. Period. And if you have criticism, by all means voice it. I can't improve unless you show me where I'm lacking - I might be unaware of my shortcomings. But, if you're going to criticize, you must have a better way of doing it. If you don't, it will be perceived that you're just babbling at the mouth or you just like hearing yourself talk. And if I "argue" with you, it's not because I'm being mean, it's because I'm actively trying to understand and to "flesh out" what you're trying to communicate to me. I'm trying to reach/grasp that "better way" of doing things. Don't take my critical questions personally - I'm just brainstorming/learning. If I can't ask critical questions about your idea, then it might be better for us to work individually because we won't make much progress with all the sugarcoating.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Praise feels nice, but I usually over-think it and end up thinking its just given to 'be nice' rather than because I actually did anything special, so I don't put much care into it.

Criticism is similar, in that if I feel that it's really honest and deserved, its a big deal. Unfortunately I react defensively to this sort a lot of the time, but this is mostly because the criticism usually falls on flaws that I've already observed myself but lack the will or strength to deal with. If it's a completely eye-opening critique, it tends to simultaneously depress and inspire me, but if it was delivered kindly I'll make an effort to appreciate it outwardly.

If it's just random criticism, some guy swearing at me on the street, I generally don't really give a shit.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,048 Posts
only on anything of importance... but if it's outright shallow or appeals/injures my vanity... there might be a bit of a fuss.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just a thought, but the moment that I read the thread title, I thought "Schizoid Personality."

I'm no professional, I'm not sure of SPD's existence, and I somewhat relate to your question; it's just food for thought.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I will accept praise if it's not fake praise. But I guess I can say praise hasn't really affected me either, I can't say I'm one of those kids who continually needs praise in order to not get depressed of my existence or what not.. (You know what I mean) Though praise is rewarding every once in a while to me..

Criticism only affects me if it challenges some of my morals or belief systems of things, but that rarely happens. I usually openly take criticism and maybe let it try to help me.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Maybe that was why I was an easy target throughout each year of elementary and secondary education... I never gave a shit and they could just keep dishing it out to make themselves feel better without reciprocation.

As far as praise goes, I don't really like it. If I do something that's an obvious courteous act, (that anyone normally should do) and then get praise for it, I want to question the praise. For example, doing simple family chores or whatever in my younger years, and getting praised for taking out the trash or some other nonsense job. Praise should not be given out for something that should be done instinctively every week by any of the family members. It always makes me question the sincerity of the person giving it. If it's for doing good on a project or an award... the point of view I have is that I accomplished it with my half-ass attitude and bad work ethic and that I shouldn't deserve anything from it. I always self-sabotage my motivations for exceeding better work output and cannot really ever feel satisfied with any accomplishment.

I tend to give praise sometimes, just to help encourage others because they are used to it and like it. Other times, it's just an awkward matter to speak up and to analyze how the other person will view my praise.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
@Metamorphoses

Yeah, it's funny how persistent some people will be even in the face of you utterly not giving a shit. It seems to make them act even more ridiculous, thus wasting more of their own time while you don't care at all...

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I think it's just my inner cynic, but I always question praise. I almost always think:
"do you think I need praise to feel good about myself?"
"are you trying to mock me?"

Meh, my mind is an oddball.

With criticism, I just take it in and reflect upon it. I see it as pointers to what can be improved.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I have no idea what to do with praise, I agree on that, but with criticism, I will be honest and admit that depending on how it is presented, my emotions can get triggered. I naturally have seen the wall go up before only afterwards, I realized the person was right. I simply was not able to think clearly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If it's for doing good on a project or an award... the point of view I have is that I accomplished it with my half-ass attitude and bad work ethic and that I shouldn't deserve anything from it. I always self-sabotage my motivations for exceeding better work output and cannot really ever feel satisfied with any accomplishment.
I've been feeling exactly this lately. I just got an award that came with $150 and was probably based on GPA, when I know people who work 10 times harder than I do and will never be recognized because their GPAs aren't fantastic. It made me feel dirty.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If I get criticism that's not like "Hey! YOUR FACE IS UGLY!" then I tend to think about it. But I seldom show much emotional response, however that's mainly. If I come to the (hopefully objective) conclusion that it was a legitimate criticism then I try to change what was being criticized. If not I discard it.

True praise tends to make me feel good and uncomfortable at the same time. I normally just awkwardly change the subject. Shallow praise I thank and then ignore.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Heh... I don't know. I'm a total skeptic when it comes to praise, because for some reason people will praise other people as a way of mocking them, which is the most ridiculous form of mockery I have ever seen.
But even if it's genuine, I feel like it's sort of an opposite form of objective criticism. It makes me feel like I have nothing to improve on and I hate that. Of course, I like praise on occasion, but it makes me think, "Do you think that I need you to tell me that I did a good job? I'm not that insecure. :p"
I'd like people to actually criticize my work sometime, maybe make a suggestion, but I think people are afraid to...

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I can be pretty strongly affected by praise and criticism...I think almost more than is healthy. I think that might just be a personal quirk, though.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Praise tends to bounce off my ass like a meteor off of the earth's atmosphere because of its low angle of entry, whereas criticism tends to penetrate all my defenses with minimal difficulties and destroys my warp drive.

My analogies, bitches don't know 'bout dem.

*rift is going to be all ova dis like a bad rash*

1 - 20 of 39 Posts