Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Well....

To my mind, there are a few different dynamics that can cause a few different chains to come out:

Alone on my own - This is where I am alone doing what ever it is that I'm doing. Being alone, I have a great deal of freedom to express my personalized spin on things, like which TV shows to watch or news stories to read.

One-on-One - This can be a phone call, taking lunch with a friend or walking with a friend where in these cases, my style of speech and how I talk is where my individuality shines through.

Groups - This is where there is a different dynamic and generally I'll try to fill a role, possibly play the old sage or the class clown. Sometimes this works well and sometimes not. I can remember in a group therapy session where we were asked to state 2 personal things about each of us. I asked a question of whether this should be easy or hard, as I struggle to find those elements of personal significance to me that mean enough to be my information while the other side is just to state some bucket people can be categorized using. My issue was that saying I was born in Ontario, doesn't feel personal to me even though it is personal information. The same could be said for my age, gender, etc. where there are others that have these traits too, which makes this hard. I found it to be an interesting discussion but I'm not sure how well others understand why I asked. Being picky in what I eat would be another example here, where someone offered me to come for Taco Night and I had to explain what I'd put into a taco would be meat and ketchup with nothing else as I don't like cheese, tomato, lettuce or onions. I grew up quite spoiled about what I'd eat and that has stuck into adulthood.

Putting my own spin on something can be a tricky thing but it is something I tend to do under the right circumstances. Part of this is how welcomed and encouraged am I where I am to show myself. As an introvert, most of the time I'm internalizing lots of data and seeing through my own perspective that may color some things at times.

Does this answer the question or did I misread what was requested?

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was very telling JB. I always thought my idea of individualism was totally different than others. Often people when showing their individualism are loud, talkative, fashion sensitive, and peer oriented. Yet in the back of my mind I think I've always looked to express myself in small ways like choosing a plain style and sticking to it, a loner as I observe others, to prove to be more helpful than others, and during class to speak only when I had something intelligent to say (if you haven't noticed that doesn't to my posting :wink:). Once I became an adult I realized that it was becoming my identity to try to become more efficient, and I guess thats a bit of individualism that I've taken in over time.

I'd put into a taco would be meat and ketchup with nothing else as I don't like cheese, tomato, lettuce or onions.
lol, thats a pretty weird combo. I work at a restaurant, so that sort of stuff isn't too uncommon, but is rare.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I tend to keep to myself unlike everyone else I know, I'm the only person out of my high school friends that got our High school diploma, and was/is baby free, but idk if that's individualism lol maybe just making better choices for myself. well I guess when bk in high school I was alwas the one person who never followed the crowd , ppl knew not to ask me to be there look out person( pretend to be at my house while they were somewhere else) I cnt stand anyone not telling the truth

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hmmm interesting question

How do you doing Wake, hope you are well.

It is through my thoughts and personal ideas. I don't get influenced by others and have to work through things on my own to form an opinion or perspective on anything. I guess being a type 1 and "F" most of my decisions are based on my principles and values.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts