Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though many websites say that Gen X begins in 1965, there are still many that say that it begins in 1961. And based on what I have seen in a lot of comments, many people born in 1961-1964 consider themselves to be both Boomers and Gen Xers (some identify with either side more).

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Born in '64. I consider myself an in betweener. Boomers were my parents. I was a mature adult when the GenX term started being bandied about (and largely applied to people a lot younger than me).

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,487 Posts
I agree with this.
We are just humans.
You can't really define people by the year in which they were born.

i'm just old
the label attached to my years does nothing for me
i belong to the human race not to a generation

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,487 Posts
Your parents were very young when you were born.
My mom was 35 and my dad was 36 when I came to explore this lovely world.

Born in '64. I consider myself an in betweener. Boomers were my parents. I was a mature adult when the GenX term started being bandied about (and largely applied to people a lot younger than me).

·
Premium Member
15,024 Posts
Completely identified as a Boomer my whole life, but I don't meet your cutoff of 1965/1961.

I was born'd in 1959. Age 57.

Was in for my regular checkup recently and doctor told me "you're young". I told her "No I'm not". She said "yes you are". I told her "no I'm not". Even if I was 80 years old and looking back at 57, I don't see how 57 is considered "young" by a physician.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,487 Posts
I wanted to be part of my parents' generation because...
awesome jazz.
Benny Goodman
Louie Armstrong
Ella Fitzgerald
Billie Holliday
etc.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I was born in the first half of 1965. However, I have 3 older brothers, all born in the 50's, all Baby Boomers. My husband was 9 years older than me. So I identify more with Boomers than Gen Xers. You guys definitely have better music.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,487 Posts
Hi @damfino!!! It's great to see you here! I've missed you, and I'm so happy that you're back.
I was born in 1956 and I really don't identify with any generation.
Some of the music of the 1960s was good.
But I still like the 1920s music better, lol.

I was born in the first half of 1965. However, I have 3 older brothers, all born in the 50's, all Baby Boomers. My husband was 9 years older than me. So I identify more with Boomers than Gen Xers. You guys definitely have better music.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hi @damfino !!! It's great to see you here! I've missed you, and I'm so happy that you're back.
I was born in 1956 and I really don't identify with any generation.
Some of the music of the 1960s was good.
But I still like the 1920s music better, lol.
Muskrat Ramble... King Porter Stomp... the Charleston... yeah, the 20's had some awesome music!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I would also throw 1960 into the group as well. My mom was born just like two months before 1961, and she is no boomer to me. I would actually consider 1959 as the last true boomers. 1960 were the first to be born in a world in which the US had 50 states, the world had 3 billion people or more alive in it, and they were born after NASA's first space mission, Project Mercury. Bottom line, 1960-1964 are more Gen X to me than boomer.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Even though many websites say that Gen X begins in 1965, there are still many that say that it begins in 1961. And based on what I have seen in a lot of comments, many people born in 1961-1964 consider themselves to be both Boomers and Gen Xers (some identify with either side more).
Other than for one source which has really uneven ranges for generations, I have never see anyone start it at '61. The most common start years I have seen for X are 1960 and 1965, though more people seem to favor 1965. For 1960, I have seen ranges mainly as 1945-1959 and 1940-1959 for boomers. For 1965 being start, its always 1946-1964, the one range everyone seems to favor.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was born in October 1964. I consider myself a Boomer.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,487 Posts
I would also throw 1960 into the group as well. My mom was born just like two months before 1961, and she is no boomer to me. I would actually consider 1959 as the last true boomers. 1960 were the first to be born in a world in which the US had 50 states, the world had 3 billion people or more alive in it, and they were born after NASA's first space mission, Project Mercury. Bottom line, 1960-1964 are more Gen X to me than boomer.
My sister was born in 1959 and she is one of the few people who were born when the United States had 49 states!

·
Registered
269 Posts
My sister was born in 1959 and she is one of the few people who were born when the United States had 49 states!
It is sad that North and South Dakota can't work out their differences. Maybe if they work them out, we will have 49 states again.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,487 Posts
It is sad that North and South Dakota can't work out their differences. Maybe if they work them out, we will have 49 states again.
And then, maybe, we can finally accept Washington, D.C., as a state!
Back to 50!

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
This is like those of us born between 1977 and 1983 (1980 in my case, which is also a Star Wars year) somehow being both Gen-Xers and Millennials (hence "Xennials").

·
Registered
910 Posts
I dont see the point of a Virginia and a West Virginia. It should be just one Virginia, so then 49 states, and Puerto Rico should be a state, so 50, and DC should be a state, so 51, and then California should no longer be a state, so back to 50.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts