Personality Cafe banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I agree with what some others said about not really liking it.

Definitely prone to it, but it is sort of annoying because 1) it is all-consuming and 2) I know it's not real and will go away eventually. I recall before I met my husband - meeting a person, examining all the angles and already knowing it would never actually work in any significant way with so and so, but still finding myself inexplicably drawn to that person, letting them take up my thoughts, ignoring all of their flaws, incompatibilities and so forth... and for what? I would try to trick myself-thinking I could just ignore it (reality), but alas. I like dreaming, but it never got me anywhere, and I think to myself sometimes what a waste of time I spent... although, probably unavoidable.

**I also remember in my high school days, people FEEDING INTO my infatuation. Even worse!!

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I was infatuated with some chick in highschool. Never again. I'm in the camp that hates it lol. I didn't even really enjoy it that much while I was in it. Every little thing hurts you are elates you, waaay too unstable. I enjoyed fantasizing but I hated the one-sided love affair. I wanted the person to be into me sooo baaaaad and they just weren't. I also hated the fact that I was so infatuated with someone I barely knew, it felt naive like I was a horse being led to the slaughter, potentially falling in love with someone I could potentially end up hating because I never got to really know them. Basing such a huge decision on my feelings of the person then who they actually are made me feel like and idiot. And I'm not saying any of this to try and hide some guilty pleasure I got from infatuation, I honestly did not. I felt tortured by having such strong emotions for someone who didn't have them back for me and my strong emotions were based off such fickle things, such small details and nothing they really gave me.

Then again I'm SX last, and I think my SP second instinct does not like to be so unstable like that and to maintain control.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I rarely fall in love but when I fall... O boy...I fall really hard. It's an all or nothing, black-and-white thing for me. I like experiences that are all-consuming, they make life a lot more vibrant but at the same time I really don't know what to with these intense feelings... Being in love makes me feel like a girl again, but not like the grown-up woman I am. Behaving in a shy way around the person I secretly love? Yup. Strangely smiling the whole time? Yup. Secretly gazing at the beloved person? Yup. Completely ignoring the object of my love and even showing him the cold shoulder? Yup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I rarely fall in love but when I fall... O boy...I fall really hard. It's an all or nothing, black-and-white thing for me. I like experiences that are all-consuming, they make life a lot more vibrant but at the same time I really don't know what to with these intense feelings... Being in love makes me feel like a girl again, but not like the grown-up woman I am. Behaving in a shy way around the person I secretly love? Yup. Strangely smiling the whole time? Yup. Secretly gazing at the beloved person? Yup. Completely ignoring the object of my love and even showing him the cold shoulder? Yup.
Oh yes, I relate to this all too well. I am the same on the rare occasions I fall... and honestly for me it's the most worthwhile way, even if it's as utterly confusing as it is vitalizing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I used to beat infatuation out of myself before it’d start. I do appreciate my last relationship and it definitely helped with personal growth as I had never felt more alive, but in general I do not like what infatuation does to me because I become obsessive and then long after the fact can’t let go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to beat infatuation out of myself before it’d start. I do appreciate my last relationship and it definitely helped with personal growth as I had never felt more alive, but in general I do not like what infatuation does to me because I become obsessive and then long after the fact can’t let go.
It is rather a double-edged sword...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I got infatuated with my cousin. I pursued her as well, knowing full well it is wrong to do that. I was playing with fire. Got burnt real bad. I enjoy when someone gets infatuated with me. Happened a few times while I was a teacher in my twenties. I just didn’t want to hurt them cuz I got hurt so bad with the one I was infatuated with. My cousin, she had that power over me. But never again. It didn’t happen again. I wonder what it’d be like. I guess okayish subject to explore in writing. I’m more interested in making daily life more seductive, more delicious.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Im nearly done being infatuated with one person and now I have a boyfriend for the first time that is everything I want in a man. ^_^ He isnt perfect, but neither am I!
Hes cute, fun, smart, confident, good at giving advice, emotional, kind, giving, silly. We got together kind of earlier than we probably should have, but I find myself falling for him every time Im with him. I always have so much fun I dont want to go home, which for someone with anxiety like me, thats saying something. We have had magical moments where we felt like we were in a dream.

We are both collectors and hobbyists and adventurous. Things are going great. For the first time, I can see a future with someone Im dating.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Infatuation became less interesting once I realized I was simply falling in love with my image of someone as opposed to the target person i.e. my anima/animus.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Infatuation became less interesting once I realized I was simply falling in love with my image of someone as opposed to the target person i.e. my anima/animus.
Oh yes. I fall in love with idealised images of people. I put them on the tallest pedestal known to mankind and there’s no way they can ever live up to my image of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Oh yes. I fall in love with idealised images of people. I put them on the tallest pedestal known to mankind and there’s no way they can ever live up to my image of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pain and disappointment when we wake up is even greater. That isn't a reproach to INFPs, but many people just like to present themselves (at the beginning of relationships) as something they are not! INFP's are the Myers Briggs type who values ​​authenticity above all and this is hard to tolerate for us and feels a bit like fraud. I'm currently completely done with infatuation and focus more on other areas of life. The high investment in feelings for people who exploit it is simply not worth it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have a very complex relationship with infatuation... I would be institutionalized if I let my infatuation with what I'm really infatuated with run rampant... beauty, love, positivity, originality, personality, and conceptual theories of life itself... I can fall head over heals in a second for anyone who embodies just one of these qualities.

Now because I don't want to be institutionalized I have become infatuated with the beauty of darkness, emotional anguish, sorrow just to keep my feet on the ground so that I can interact with people around me without scaring people... ironically enough

21 - 33 of 33 Posts