Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What attributes do you associate with your inferior Fe? This is not referring to our lack of empathy (as Fe is inferior to us), but rather areas of empathy.

Myself:

Positives

Movie or book characters can make me "feel good" if their environment is positive
I have a reasonable(?) sense of physically present persons' feelings
Positive news stories (heroism or simple "good news") may slightly increase my positivity

Negatives

Movie or book characters can make me "feel bad" if their environment is negative
I have a horrible sense of of people's feelings when communicating via online/phone/indirectly
Rape stories make me emotionally sick, and almost immediately overwhelmed with depression

Other

I become "infatuated" too easily and quickly with people, ideas, and even objects.

I have struggled with my Ti/Ne creating "structures of potential" with people, scenarios, and objects, where my mind constantly adds more "potential information" into the item. With people, any person I feel a connection with immediately gets their own "potentiality structure" (as I call them), male or female. I begin thinking of meeting them, interacting with them, and learning them thoroughly.

When I am detached from a relationship and the person is female, I immediately begin to attach romantic ideas as well. I have become infatuated almost immediately in at least four "unrealistic" instances, and (I think) all of my relationships have started from feeling this way. I feel my Fe begins to instil ideas that "both of us would be happy" in these structures, and I begin to subconsciously allow the "potentiality structure" to go unfettered.

Fortunately, I have recently learned to detach from these almost immediately, and even when my mind builds them up it's much slower and less powerful. After a decade of failed relationships and bizarre episodes of infatuation, I believe I've come to understand and even begin to conquer this.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I did not cry at the end of Click! ok maybe just a little. But I certainly did not tear up at the scene when Adam Sandler last saw his father! :.(

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not cry at the end of Click! ok maybe just a little. But I certainly did not tear up at the scene when Adam Sandler last saw his father! :.(
I've teared up at a lot of movies, and they don't need to be sappy ones. In fact sappy movies rarely make me cry. It's often tragic war stories or stories will strong elements of irony mixed with tragedy.

I don't recall ever breaking down and crying full-out on any movies, but if I was in an odd emotional state beforehand, I have no doubt that's possible.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I've teared up at a lot of movies, and they don't need to be sappy ones. In fact sappy movies rarely make me cry. It's often tragic war stories or stories will strong elements of irony mixed with tragedy.

I don't recall ever breaking down and crying full-out on any movies, but if I was in an odd emotional state beforehand, I have no doubt that's possible.
I don't cry on sappy movies. but I could empathize with Sandler's Character and how he must have felt and his sacrifice to make sure his son didn't make the same mistakes he did. And how his father must have felt that last time. The look on his face when he turned around. :(

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
That might be a lower order Fe thing.

Sometimes people with lead Fe say they can pick up on vibes so strongly, that they end up disregarding them or just don't care.

l'm pretty receptive (sometimes overly receptive) to a lot of things which is why l get annoyed of hearing otherwise about my type. l guess l do have well developed of on/off control over it.

l think it's probably better to have a lot of awareness that you can harness versus not having enough. l don't really understand how people form meaningful connections without reading each other well.

Reactions: treschanna

·
Registered
251 Posts
People say INTP are cold and sociopathic. I am like that, but I gotta tell you, I cry like a bitch IF I feel bad for a character.

The ending of Click, Grave of the Fireflies, Little Miss Sunshine, The Perks of Being a Wallflower...

Have you guys seen Disney's Lady and the Tramp? There's a part of the movie where they go to a zoo and there's a beaver. This beaver is not an important character, but he was goofy and funny and he gets caught on a flood. He almost drowns and his home is destroyed. The film handles that as a funny scene, but I cried. I felt so bad for him. I don't get immersed in movies as I wish I did, but some characters can really make me feel like shit.

lady-and-the-tramp.jpg

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sometimes people with lead Fe say they can pick up on vibes so strongly, that they end up disregarding them or just don't care.
Ya, I wonder if it's due to "high-order" Fe users being so accustomed to dealing with and identifying these feelings, it is easy for them to prioritize and decide based on them.

l think it's probably better to have a lot of awareness that you can harness versus not having enough. l don't really understand how people form meaningful connections without reading each other well.
Ya, I agree. It has helped me to understand what I need in connections recently, and realize what true connections are, to me. The realization has allowed me to identify a lot of "wtf is that" feelings in myself, if that makes any sense at all lol.

People say INTP are cold and sociopathic. I am like that, but I gotta tell you, I cry like a bitch IF I feel bad for a character.

The ending of Click, Grave of the Fireflies, Little Miss Sunshine, The Perks of Being a Wallflower...

Have you guys seen Disney's Lady and the Tramp? There's a part of the movie where they go to a zoo and there's a beaver. This beaver is not an important character, but he was goofy and funny and he gets caught on a flood. He almost drowns and his home is destroyed. The film handles that as a funny scene, but I cried. I felt so bad for him. I don't get immersed in movies as I wish I did, but some characters can really make me feel like shit.
Ya, this is what I'm talking about. I don't know that I have seen any of these movies (except Lady and the Tramp in the 80's or early 90's lol), but I tend to empathize with characters. And as you pointed out, they don't have to be "main characters" either.

And (what made me even want to bring up this topic) is rape stories. There was a post on our current events that said IMPORTANT READ THIS so I clicked it, and right away the first two sentences outlined a horrible instance of rape... I really can't handle stories like this unless I'm prepared, and even then they are so very difficult for me. I was suddenly curious if others feel the same way, or at least feel the same way about some other tragic/emotional situation that occurs in life?

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
I have never cried during a movie or cried for a character in really any medium. Can't say I have cried over similar events in real life either.

I do that "structures of potential" thing though.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have never cried during a movie or cried for a character in really any medium. Can't say I have cried over similar events in real life either.

Yes well you're a much more tall, manly INTP than I am :tongue:

·
Registered
309 Posts

I'm the same. A good story will affect my emotions( and that's what I search for in fictional stories and music) but never enough to make me cry.

·
Banned
210 Posts
Regardless of how bad you guys are using Fe, you are still able to convey a sense of friendliness and depth and caring to most other people you meet, which most ISTPs are unable to. (classic social chameleon)

The thing I personally find most troubling about INTPs is not your suppressed Fe, but your Si. This aspiring function makes a lot of your trying very hard to appeal to the general public's Si fondness and in actuality making your work, love, and associate with others in a way that makes you look very conservative.

I love you, but you guys are not really THAT open-minded compared to other NTs: ENTP, INTJ, and even ENTJ, supposedly the most conservative NT type. Anyone willing to change this image for good? (or for bad)

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I usually cheer when Popeye eats his spinach and punches Bluto to Wyoming.
When Bill Murray sings "More Than This" in Lost in Translation it gets a little dusty. (Even though it's kind of an Fi-thing).

Infatuations knock me back a few months. So when the warning signs start up, I try and lock myself in my apartment.
My Fe is pretty well developed aside from some cracks here and there.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Regardless of how bad you guys are using Fe, you are still able to convey a sense of friendliness and depth and caring to most other people you meet, which most ISTPs are unable to. (classic social chameleon)

The thing I personally find most troubling about INTPs is not your suppressed Fe, but your Si. This aspiring function makes a lot of your trying very hard to appeal to the general public's Si fondness and in actuality making your work, love, and associate with others in a way that makes you look very conservative.

I love you, but you guys are not really THAT open-minded compared to other NTs: ENTP, INTJ, and even ENTJ, supposedly the most conservative NT type. Anyone willing to change this image for good? (or for bad)
I think people call INTPs open-minded because we take the longest to close off and become stubborn in a discussion compared to the other NT types. Does this mean we are more "open-minded" in general? Probably not, but I would wager that we are certainly more open minded than ENTPs tend to be. Most ENTPs I have talked to or seen in person or online are very quick to close off discussions with name calling or appeal to ethos.

If I had a nickle for every time an ENTP called me heartless or pedantic I would be able to pay my college tuition 10 times over.

·
Banned
210 Posts
I think people call INTPs open-minded because we take the longest to close off and become stubborn in a discussion compared to the other NT types. Does this mean we are more "open-minded" in general? Probably not, but I would wager that we are certainly more open minded than ENTPs tend to be. Most ENTPs I have talked to or seen in person or online are very quick to close off discussions with name calling or appeal to ethos.

If I had a nickle for every time an ENTP called me heartless or pedantic I would be able to pay my college tuition 10 times over.
Hey, do not be too harsh on ENTPs, if you really, sincerely, want to match or surpass ENTPs on every level, or win their hearts, even, in romantic relationships, what you need to do is demonstrate your CREATIVITY and CRAZINESS in social interactions, rather than some heartless and overly distracting logistical analysis.

Thank you.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Hey, do not be too harsh on ENTPs, if you really, sincerely, want to match or surpass ENTPs on every level, or win their hearts, even, in romantic relationships, what you need to do is demonstrate your CREATIVITY and CRAZINESS in social interactions, rather than some heartless and overly distracting logistical analysis.

Thank you.
I was expecting a better reply from you. I am ashamed. As the resident bleeding heart you should step up your game.

·
Registered
INTP
1,752 Posts
Pfft I relate to the OP so much... I'm not sure if I have anything to add, haha, but I think it explains a lot about myself in comparison to friends and family who have much stronger Fe than me. Of everyone I know, I seem to be the one who gets the most strongly affected by the perils of fictional characters, despite being someone that many have accused me of being "feelingless" or "cold". The latest character "infatuation" I had put me through some depression because I felt really involved with his tragic life and despair... and I drowned myself in it for a while. But on the flipside, a character I can relate to ((many, I easily relate to fictional characters lol)) with positive experiences leave me feeling happy, as if that warmth and happiness was my own.

But then I tell this stuff ((and other things mentioned in OP)) to other people in my life and they don't seem to get it lol. Thanks for posting this... I thought I was alone xD;;

1 - 20 of 32 Posts