Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was reading an article about how MBTI related to the popular sitcom Seinfeld and they related the inferior function to the character's "fetish obsession."

So that got me thinking about how this related to myself and quite frankly although this is my first time hearing it described like that it makes perfect sense.

I have this internal obsession with always relating things to the past which is definitely my inferior Si. These are some of the things that I practically am obsessed with.

-I have a strong belief that all things better in the past
-I frequently experience Nostalgia
-I'm obsessed with 90's culture and music
-I didn't start liking any of the newer bands that popped up until they were older
-When thinking about my favorite bands or artists I always compare their earlier work to their present work
-Every now and then I look up the cartoons and shows from my childhood and read about them not only to see how I understand them as an adult but for the sake of Nostalgia
-When seeing certain shows from my childhood come on I can't help but watch them.
-I always look at people and focus on how they've changed as they've aged
-Also in every creative endeavor that I am passionate about I am always adamant about making my creations live up to past standards. I have a firm belief that the quality of entertainment was much better than it is now.

I probably have many more things but anyways....

What do you guys obsess over?...

·
Registered
821 Posts
I spent a lot of time thinking about the farm I grew up on and maybe I obsessed over '80's music some. I enjoy hearing the '90's music too of course. The other day my ENTP son was crying because we threw out an old electric skillet.

I sort of think about how I was in the past and wonder if I was better, more fun, less concerned with how I appear to others, but then I apply Ti and I realize that's all just crazy nonsense. I was a quivering ball of insecurity and now I'm 30 and ready to get a handle on my life. The way is forward.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I look at the past and future but never really the present :/ N = future and Si = past. I dwell on things alot too (I also remember every time I've been wronged haha). I also focus on how people and things have changed from how they were and hate things I remember as great being shown to be bad.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I look at the past and future but never really the present :/ N = future and Si = past. I dwell on things alot too (I also remember every time I've been wronged haha). I also focus on how people and things have changed from how they were and hate things I remember as great being shown to be bad.
I just had that same exact thought as I was writing the post. I was like "It's odd because i'm always in the past or thinking about the future no wonder we always have such problems with Se."

I'm exactly the same way though. I remember every time i've been wronged and other important details about those around me and from time to time I obsess over how people have changed and if it's a bad change then I start to think about how they used to be and wonder if they'll ever be that way again.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
What I have read of Se is that people liken it to Ne - a function that is looking into the future as well though for different reason than Ne. So I'm not sure if it is Se indeed that function that gives you a solid grasp on present moment - but if you think about it, it is like present moment doesn't really exist, what you thought is present moment now is already in your past :p

All and all though I don't think Ni or Ne give one somehow broader vision of past and future than Si or Se or that Si/Se functions somehow give one better grasp on the present. I thought this in past but now see this is wrong. It is just that in Si/Se vision of past/future different elements are given greater value so a Ni-dominant person may not understand how Si-dominent relates to the time element thus it may seem that Si-persons's perception of time is somehow very limited, but it is just done from a different angle.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Hm, I don't look at the past much. As a matter of fact, I often forget fairly major things that have happened to me and I would much rather look at something new as opposed to something I already or have already seen.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
When I was younger, I hated when my family would rearrange furniture. My mother said it was because I hated change, but on the contrary, I don't think I minded change so much as I disliked not knowing how to adapt to it. To this day, I hate feeling as if I'm being "left behind." For a while that fear manifested as this hazy notion that the past was something only I could touch and no one else, and that that was a mark of power. In the end, though, stubbornness and strength weren't quite the same thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh, no, Ray, you scare me! Your list is pretty same as mine, your described it very accurately! I have never thought it has something to do with MBTI though. I guess I am wrong.

I quite hate myself doing these things, they do not make sense and are pretty stupid.

·
Registered
821 Posts
As a intp my inferior is Fe. What would be my expected fetish obsession given my Fe?
Fe is generally caring about other peoples' feelings, so you might become extremely concerned with the suffering of certain people or start to pity people.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
As a intp my inferior is Fe. What would be my expected fetish obsession given my Fe?
I think that for INTP it was stated that they might at some point become obsessed our extremely curious about social rules or social dynamics.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I have read of Se is that people liken it to Ne - a function that is looking into the future as well though for different reason than Ne. So I'm not sure if it is Se indeed that function that gives you a solid grasp on present moment - but if you think about it, it is like present moment doesn't really exist, what you thought is present moment now is already in your past :p

All and all though I don't think Ni or Ne give one somehow broader vision of past and future than Si or Se or that Si/Se functions somehow give one better grasp on the present. I thought this in past but now see this is wrong. It is just that in Si/Se vision of past/future different elements are given greater value so a Ni-dominant person may not understand how Si-dominent relates to the time element thus it may seem that Si-persons's perception of time is somehow very limited, but it is just done from a different angle.
I dunno...I view Se a bit differently than that. Se notices a lot of details in the present and tends to be more in the moment than any other perceiver. It has similarities to Ne but I see a huge difference especially given that Se has a hard time seeing the big picture which is definitely a must when focusing on the future.

I understand what you mean though about the present not existing because by the time we fully process something it's already in the past. But in the way that Se gather's information it is more "in the present" than any other type of perception, in my view. Every type has the ability to envision the Past, Present, or Future but I feel like Se would have the best view of their surroundings and the best grip on what's going on in the moment.

From what I understand....Si lives in the present but is overwhelmed by a lot of stimuli and so they use the past as a guideline to tell them what to do in the present. They probably have the best grip on the past...at least i'd think so...than other types.

I dunno though it's all a bit to complex for me to explain how I view the functions in clear wording. I'm very distracted right now...but would like to discuss this a bit further.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts