Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something that's been haunting me for quite some time.
Intelligence was always the most desirable attribute to me, and as such being intelligent cemented itself as the most vital part of my identity.

I consider myself to be a fairly smart, but I've always felt like I'm simply not naturally gifted enough to matter. I suppose comparing yourself to men like Nikola Tesla and Albert Einstein is a very unhealthy practice, but I can't help it. It just seems so pointless for me to delve into intellectual pursuits considering the sheer amount of people who outclass me when it comes to brain power. This has always been a great source of frustration for me. Especially since I had no say in it. It's entirely the fault of the genetic lottery. I suppose you could say I'm dissatisfied with the cards I've been dealt and I don't see any point to my own existence.

I feel like my caliber of brain is relatively easy to replace, even if I'm nearing the top of the list it doesn't really matter. I view myself as irrelevant and somewhat worthless. It seems like the only sensible thing to do is step aside and allow the most intelligent among us to take hold of the reins.

I suppose it's very greedy and ungrateful of me to throw away what I have because I crave for more. I guess avarice is my greatest personality flaw. It's painfully clear that there are some walls that can't be scaled with hard work and willpower alone. I just want to understand and explore everything, but the feeling of being so limited left me feeling discouraged. Even if I somehow realize I'm some sort of genius I'll still be a dunce compared to those residing at the very top of the list. I've gauged my own potential and I don't think that this mind is worthy of developing. I think this might be the greatest reason for my depression. I'm not very fond of life. A lot of the time I feel smart enough to know how stupid I am.

Anyone else ever felt this way? How did you deal with it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Not all great men are highly intelligent and not all intelligent men are great. You don't need to be extremely smart to be important. And you don't need to change the entire world to make a difference, you can just influence the small piece of world around you.

Also, stepping aside will not let the most intelligent among us to take hold of the reins. Not only are politicians way too good at staying in power to let the most intelligent have it, the most intelligent are often smart enough to realize that they don't want to hold the reins.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's actually refreshing knowing that there are some people out there that see intelligence as the most desirable attribute...it's better than idiots who place the same emphasis on looks.

As for the part where you don't feel "gifted enough" - really ?! I think most people would feel the same if they compared themselves to Tesla or Einstein. You focus on these things perhaps because you are avoiding what you should really be focusing on ?

I know some INTPs and to combat their depression, they try meditation. There are a lot of books out there on being an INTP and how to deal with the characteristics that are prevalent in that personality type.

Life is there to be lived, however you choose to live it...the fact that you know that you know nothing shows that you know something, therefore you are far more intelligent than most.

PS: I find with depression, to limit yourself as to how long you choose to stay in this state of mind. It's ok to be depressed, but make it about something worthwhile and put in place a time frame so that your depression doesn't get out of control.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not only am I not in line with the actually smart people.

Intelligence is inherently worthless.
From what we seem to know everything humans do is inherently pointless. It's still fascinating and fun to observe things though. Intelligence allows for better and more accurate observations. That's why I regard it as important.

I suppose you could say that it's the most important of all unimportant attributes for me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
@DemonD is a sad idiot… and I don't have an inferiority complex. If you realize YOU CAN BE POTENTIALLY AS SMART AS EINSTEIN and can be what ever you want then you are truly intelligent. There are many people out there that have that potential and are potentially as smart as einstein perhaps not in the same areas though… think about it. Another thing… if you ever had that ah ha moment were you dug deep enough that you finally realize the potential to your intelligence you really are that smart and could be functioning at that level… and I know what your thinking is this an NF posing as an Intp… No I'm just a healthy one. From my perspective there is more to life as well meaning to it. Work on developing your functions… simply follow the curiosity you'd be surprised where it takes you.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Compare yourself with where you started from. Look at how much more knowledge you've gained from that point. Each person has their own trials and tribulations, so trying to compare yourself to another individual is like trying to compare lemons to peaches. You can try your damnedest to be like your idols, but you can never be just like them. So aim beyond; Be better than them, and watch your knowledge grow to fill the need. Intelligence is really just a relative thing; it's what you do with it that makes people extraordinary.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If there's one harsh lesson that's defined most of my life, it's that comparing yourself to others is a losing battle and an endless war. When I was desperately trying to become a published author, I actually was unable to read fiction for a number of years. I felt so insecure and worthless compared to published writers that reading held no joy for me anymore and made me feel like crap (realizing that books like Twilight were able to get published helped bump me out of that mindset).

To paraphrase a quote that I can't find at the moment, there's no glory in surpassing others, but rather in surpassing your former self. Don't seek to do well by the standards of others, seek to be better than you were the day before. It may be easier said than done, I know, but it may be worth a try with that mindset.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
So basically this thread is self-pity, self-indulgence and laziness all rolled into one.

The world is made by resolute people of action, not whiny people who make excuses for never attempting anything. And until you learn to take action, you will be exactly as useless as you currently think you are.

I have no patience for lazy uselessness, and neither should you.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I can relate to this but in a different way, I'm an INFP. I've been naturally gifted as a visual artist / draftsmen my entire life. But there are always people out there better than me, who haven't spent nearly the amount of time attempting to develop their skills as I have and yet they're 'better'. It's dis-heartening and discouraging for me, as I to feel like because there are people out there better that maybe I should step aside at times and just get out of their way. I've never really came to any actual resolution to this, however I typically just remember I would go insane not pursing my artwork. I love spending hundreds of hours on a 8x10 drawing, developing the technique and going into that trance-like state where everything around me disappears and I become enveloped in pure raw focus. Causing me to forget that I'm not the 'best' as much as I strive for it.

Feel free to disregard my response for I'm INFP and I'm going off how I related to your statement. I'm sure though in some way you could apply a version of your own to what you do, similarly to how I've approached it. Anyways, hope I helped some or at least didn't run things a muck.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Not only am I not in line with the actually smart people.

Intelligence is inherently worthless.
What? This needs an explanation though I doubt I'll agree with it at all as I value intelligence above all things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts