Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
^ this pretty much

then you also have to define what you consider to be infidelity - strip clubs? prostitutes? phone sex? flirting with someone else? emotionally attaching to someone else rather than your SO? it is different things to different people

·
Registered
24 Posts
_S_P personalities. I suspect ESFP highest on the list.

If you google "Experiencers - SP" you might find out a little more.

davidmarkley. com/personality/ experiencer. htm

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Because SP's are so unfaithful and untrue.
They'll steal your wallet, steal your wife and take your car.
(Rolls eyes)

SP's can be just as faithful as anyone else in the 16 types.
I, speaking as an SP have never cheated and there's a high chance that I never will.
I believe in faithfulness and above all, truth and love.

I don't believe infidelity to be linked with type.
Human (dishonest) behavior has nothing to do with type.
I think it's sad that people believe such things.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Commitment issues can be linked to infidelity. Not every SP will have commitment issues. There are types that are more loyal than others and even the loyal types can be unfaithful.

Not sure how much solid research went into this, but this link might be interesting for people who are interested in this topic.

research. similarminds. com/ tag/ infidelity

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
As @WildWinds wrote, infidelity is related to dishonesty. A more valid and interesting question, therefore, would be why different personality types cheat. The reason an ESFP would put forward would most likely look very different from the rationalizations of a cheating INTP, for example.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

Don't mix up immaturity and general bad behavior with type. Type isn't supposed to shed light on that. That is up to the individual. Every single type is just as likely as the next to cheat. Simply because SPs and ESFPs are seen as those who want to have many "experiences", that does not mean they are more likely to cheat.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
As @WildWinds wrote, infidelity is related to dishonesty. A more valid and interesting question, therefore, would be why different personality types cheat. The reason an ESFP would put forward would most likely look very different from the rationalizations of a cheating INTP, for example.
Why people choose to cheat is subjective and different for every individual and still should not be related to type. "Have you ever cheated?" "Why have you cheated?" are better questions in the overall realm of this topic. As the way you worded it still has something to do with type and I don't think the two are related.

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
i have a feeling of deja vu...

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
ESFP
ESTP

Any type could do this depending on the situation, but these two are the most likely...

Honorable mention: ENTJ, ENTP

I feel like I'm leaving out some SJ's

There are two types of cheaters: ones that do it because they can (powerful), or the really warm charming people that do it that have emotional needs unmet...

I've witnessed numerous types of people doing this.

Least likely to cheat:
ISTJ
INFP

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hmmh, I bet Perceivers will bash me for this but judging from my own experience and what I've concluded, I think P types are MORE likely to cheat than J types. I'm not saying that all P types cheat or that all J types don't. However, from what I've read of the types, most J types tend to be described loyal, while P types are sometimes described to "change partners frequently" and so on. But obviously everyone is an individual.

Also, I know two INFP persons who have cheated numerous times, therefore I am a little prejudiced in that way. Then again, they were both simply very unhealthy individuals. :(

There's also a difference between physical and emotional cheating. Usually people do it in the physical sense. But I know I would absolutely never ever do such. I don't think any INFJ would. There's actually a thread on cheating and INFJs in the INFJ subforum. Nevertheless, I'd like to think that we INFJs are the least likely to cheat. At least in the physical sense...

But yet again, we're all different.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sometimes it can come down to sheer luck I think. Some people are lucky to find their 'perfect match' quite early on in their life, some others, not so lucky.

I would say, XXTX's are able to distance themselves from sex much more than F's, as in T's can think of sex as just sex so I would say they are more likely to sexually cheat on their spouse. Whereas XXFX's are more likely to become attatched to someone if they make a good offer at the right time. But not necessarily sex.

I think at times different people can be right for different stages of people's lives. But I will never forgive dishonesty.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Hmmh, I bet Perceivers will bash me for this but judging from my own experience and what I've concluded, I think P types are MORE likely to cheat than J types. I'm not saying that all P types cheat or that all J types don't. However, from what I've read of the types, most J types tend to be described loyal, while P types are sometimes described to "change partners frequently" and so on. But obviously everyone is an individual.

Also, I know two INFP persons who have cheated numerous times, therefore I am a little prejudiced in that way. Then again, they were both simply very unhealthy individuals. :(

There's also a difference between physical and emotional cheating. Usually people do it in the physical sense. But I know I would absolutely never ever do such. I don't think any INFJ would. There's actually a thread on cheating and INFJs in the INFJ subforum. Nevertheless, I'd like to think that we INFJs are the least likely to cheat. At least in the physical sense...

But yet again, we're all different.
I hesitated about INFP because most have really strong natural moral codes. I agree they would definitely have to be in an unhealthy state.

I know every type can cheat...I personally would not want to feel the wrath of my own Fi, or cause that betrayal on someone I loved. Not to mention even more guilt if kids were involved. They are hurt the most in these situations.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The "S" part might play an important role. From what I've read "N"s are pretty loyal. "P"s are spontaneous, but "S"s get gratification from outer experiences.
Putting both S and P together might be a bit of dynamite. Not meaning all SPs are cheaters.
According to studies, Extroversion makes it easier for opportunity.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Sometimes it can come down to sheer luck I think. Some people are lucky to find their 'perfect match' quite early on in their life, some others, not so lucky.

I would say, XXTX's are able to distance themselves from sex much more than F's, as in T's can think of sex as just sex so I would say they are more likely to sexually cheat on their spouse. Whereas XXFX's are more likely to become attatched to someone if they make a good offer at the right time. But not necessarily sex.

I think at times different people can be right for different stages of people's lives. But I will never forgive dishonesty.
Not all feelers get attached to the person, but to their own selfish feelings. I've witnessed many feelers who can easily make excuses to justify irresponsible actions. I've seen them even lie to themselves that they did anything wrong.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.