Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never really done this sort of thing (posting a thread).I never possesed the attention to detail required to learn to spell or punctuate properly .So I hope you can forgive me . Im going to do my best.
Im 32 I've been in the militery since I was 17 mostly as an Infyntryman . the last grade I completed was 7th
After the GED I took the back door to the Army through the National Guard.I Recently found out I have mild Bipolar .That explained a few things but there were still many questions .Despite being uneducated and crazy LOL I've come along way and am in a very elite unit that required me to take the personality test .When I got the results I was stunned INFJ COUNSILER. I was sure this was wrong I knew that i was surely a WARRIOR With a boner if there were such a category.So I took the test five more times over two days changed answers I wasnt sure of and tried different formats and even acounted for mood swings.It remained INFJ.So I read and learned what the letters and there opposites ment and this explained alot but when I read the profile tears came to my eyes somebody understood me for the first time . I wasnt surprised that this group only makes up one percent ive never met another person that totaly identify with .I am able to see the future. I know peoples motivation befor they realise it. I can see good and evil in a strangers eyes. I know if our efforts are a waist of time. I know why god cast out the devil and why he rebeled.But the world continually lets me down, and logically answering instead of staring at the ceiling and trying to see it in my thoughts would be easier .It would definitly be easier to be in a army if people didnt drain me of all my energy its hard to recharge here.being able to stay focused instead of daydreaming all the time.

I've often wonderd how I

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Hooah! Well congrats on finding yourself I found outmyself yesterday! I was shocked and awed when I found out I'm a ENFP and how accurate it was. I was alway stuggiling to find who I really am and I did and glad to hear other people who did also.p.s going in as U.S Navy Next year and hope to become a medic

·
Super Moderator
12,961 Posts
Welcome byrd! Hooah!!! I am very patriotic. Many of my family members served way back in the past and near present. I truly love your avatars! I believe you are going to like it here! I too know the things you speak of...the knowing. No, I am fortunate that I am not bipolar. I have had my periods of depression...I outgrew them a long time ago. Living and learning, ever evolving, & loving makes one all the stronger. You will grow stronger here. There are wonderful people on this forum! Enjoy!

Being an INFJ is a blessing!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Brother, I know the feeling. I was right in the middle of thinking something was really wrong with me when I found out I tested as INFJ. Now at least I know why I always feel different, and I'm more understanding of others as well as myself.
Not out of place, you being in an elite unit and being an INFJ. I have played around with the dream of being a Special Forces soldier for most of my life. Another name for INFJs is The Protectors, which sounds like it suits you pretty well. :)

Sorry to hear that you were diagnosed bi polar. My brother is bi polar. It was pretty bad when he was a kid. Although, after many years he has developed a will stronger than most people I know, and no longer takes meds for it. He pretty much beat it into submission, and now uses reason to keep it under control.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Welcome, Byrd! I joined the military at 28 and recently got out. I almost joined the marines as an infantryman, before deciding to go with the Air Force as a linguist. Before that I toyed with the idea of joining the French Foreign Legion. My father was bi-polar ad I have often wondered whether I might be as well, as I have experienced long periods of depression. I no longer think so, but I have never been tested. It is great that the test offered you some clarity. I felt the same the first time I read the description. I am sure you cannot tell us what elite unit you are in, but it sounds fascinating.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Too much empathy is always a curse, especially for a male.

You're not bipolar, or rather you are bipolar but it's just a description of not being at peace with yourself.

There are no gifts that don't come with a curse.

·
Super Moderator
12,961 Posts
Too much empathy is always a curse, especially for a male.

You're not bipolar, or rather you are bipolar but it's just a description of not being at peace with yourself.

There are no gifts that don't come with a curse.
Oh, two of the things you say are not fair. :sad:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Both. I think it is both. For a while I thought mostly a blessing and now I wonder.... You have come a long way, wow.

Reactions: Dalien

·
Super Moderator
12,961 Posts
Both. I think it is both. For a while I thought mostly a blessing and now I wonder.... You have come a long way, wow.
Susanna, I am curious. May I ask why you think both a blessing and a curse? I mean no disrespect...just curious is all.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think being an INFJ is a blessing because of my desire to help people. I think being INFJ is a curse because of my desire to help people. I have spent a lot of time in this life spinning my wheels trying to help people. I am just now realizing that I cannot do someone elses work for them. I also chose to help people in ways that have allowed them to postpone their own ability to help themselves. So I love the compassion I have and am now looking at it differently now and I have been soulsearching recently - it is wonderful.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Reactions: Dalien

·
Super Moderator
12,961 Posts
I think being an INFJ is a blessing because of my desire to help people. I think being INFJ is a curse because of my desire to help people. I have spent a lot of time in this life spinning my wheels trying to help people. I am just now realizing that I cannot do someone elses work for them. I also chose to help people in ways that have allowed them to postpone their own ability to help themselves. So I love the compassion I have and am now looking at it differently now and I have been soulsearching recently - it is wonderful.
I have done just that in the past...spinning my wheels. I so can relate! I am happy that you are doing your soul searching. Sounds like you have come very far. I firmly believe that one is ever learning & evolving. As long as one does that, one will be just fine. I am still learning. I don't remember how it came to be that I finally understood that it is quite ok to give what I have, & I still may not be able to help that person at all. Yes, ma'm, the person with the problem/issue has to do the work themselves. I believe I can only guide one, just the same as with one's children. I think it goes like this: Let the person with the problem know that you believe in them and know the whole time that one is going to be letting them go. That to me is the equivalent of giving someone wings. They owe me nothing. I am just so happy that I could dance knowing that I was able to support someone in some way. There are people I know that I can't help; that is ok with me too. I tell myself that it just wasn't my turn. Someone along the way, or theirself for that matter, may be the one to pass those feathers over. I don't feel that I am being cold about this at all. I can only help what I can help with. These are my opinions. I don't know if they will work for others.

I read the below quote on the new quotes thread. I believe it fits here perfectly.

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is a choice." -Buddhist proverb

I sincerely do believe that being an INFJ is a blessing. I am human just like everyone else...I have my strengths and my weaknesses. I accept this. I work on both of my strengths and weaknesses to make them better. In my eyes, that is what matters.

·
Super Moderator
12,961 Posts
Reactions: HorribleAesthete

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is all a matter of perspective.
This, I finally registered after lurking a while and agree.

In the grand scheme of things, we are small mites on a lukewarm rock in an unfathomably large vacuous ocean filled with astronomical bodies of wonder and creations still unknown, possibly far surpassing our own in intelligence and development.

But to your beloved family pet, to your younger brother or sister, to the lost child at the store, or the real homeless, the ones who have too much pride to beg, the INFJ is for each moment a sort of willing savior.

The same would be expected of you and your squad, I'm sure more often than not you feel like you're become "dear old dad" in terms of how you view the people you would protect, and it's a good feeling for an INFJ to know someone will protect you.

I often believe the song "No Rain" by Blind melon can describe an INFJ at its most emotional in its soul search, and Pearl Jam's "No Way" as the opposite side of the coin, the Yin to the Yan so to speak of how INFJs can often feel when hurt...which is alot...and then you keep it to yourself and end up creating crazy schemes in your mind. It's a rare mind, thus like anything else rare it should be appreciated for its beauty as well as its darkness.

Till next time.

DW

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
From one of my favorite tv series (which ended horribly imo) "It's a gift and a curse" - Adrian Monk

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discovery

Hello,,
I am glad you are in this world of discovery. Discovery can at times be scary but its about the journey. Being an INFJ is not a curse it is indeed a blessing. However we need to be careful to not spend all of our time caring for everyone else. Take time to refill you, we cannot give out of empty vessels. As far as the Bipolar that should not define you. You are not Bipolar you are someone who happens to have it that is all. I have worked with many who have it and they are leading successful lives. It does not have to control you. Continue on your journey of discovering yourself. At times it will be strange and scary but keep on going. You have already lead a life of discovery keep it up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hmm...all of the above.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It's the metric ton of band-aids we carry around in a basket on our backs, handing them out one by one to our fellow man, their choice to use but our choice to give. A single band-aid doesn't weigh so much, so it take a long time before you can notice the weight drop. Best we can do it to carry it a way that doesn't break us.

It's the burden we shoulder so that we can make a difference. It's the gift we've received to use as we see fit.

Perhaps. It's just my thoughts, it might be a bit over the top and pretentious.
It does sound like I have a martyr-complex to be honest.
Ah, [censored] it. I'll let it be like that, perhaps it doesn't sound so bad to someone as it does in my head right about now.:bored:

Anyway, I wouldn't want to be any other way.:proud:

Reactions: Jasette and Dalien
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.