Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! What grinds your gears? If anything at all? Environmental issues? Political? Animal Cruelty? I wanna hear! We are The Protectors after all. I think that our planet is included in that.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I'm mostly concerned with the lack of overall individual awareness in people. I believe most of this planet's problems come from a distinct lack of compassion and awareness. Not only do we need to tackle problems like animal cruelty and climate change head-on, we also need to go at the root of all problems: humanity's incapacity of dealing with suffering and life as it is.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I can get really worked up over situations where people's individual freedom is unjustly restricted. I can get worked up over politics, but not really on any specific things usually, more on the concept of poitics or stuff like that.
It's also really hard to predict what things I will and won't get worked up about, so I'm not really sure about any of it.

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
Done political activism only to quit after an murder attempt put a stop to it all.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,052 Posts
Umm...sometimes I recycle my AA batteries and plastic bottles. A lot of things bother me but just like almost everyone else, I do nothing about it. I would also want to do a lot of charity or volunteering stuff but a man's gotta eat.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
That people are chastised for being too sensitive, yet you never hear anyone say "how awful the insensitive human can be".

I've spent many years finding peace in forests, and a bunch of my favorite trees got cut down within the last year, it physically pained me. I also get furious when humans kill animals after considering them 'pests'. How much space do humans really need, some of the giant homes and large yards for show seem ridiculous when I take into consideration the many foxes, deer, owls, raccoons, snakes, skunks, birds, turtles and bugs that were likely killed and definitely evicted in the process. It really chaps my hide that so many humans are terrified of nature and animals; it's probably mostly irrational and based on drama injected tv starring animals and nature. But because of this fear tendency, humans rip apart all the natural habitats to make them look neat and tidy. And the animals lose huge.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I grew up in a low-income household, and was able to get myself into a great college. I am very passionate about educational equality and that all children deserve a great education, no matter what life circumstances they were born into. Education helps lift people out of poverty.

·
Registered
840 Posts
While I could imagine myself do something like helping animal shelter, I refuse to even conceive of having anything to do with political activism either left or right wing. My refusal does not come from ignorance or lack of interest. Quote the opposite. I refuse by principle to take part in current political system.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
While I could imagine myself do something like helping animal shelter, I refuse to even conceive of having anything to do with political activism either left or right wing. My refusal does not come from ignorance or lack of interest. Quote the opposite. I refuse by principle to take part in current political system.
You could volunteer to clean cages and walk dogs at a Humane Society. Or my first job was working in a kennel in an animal hospital. I cleaned up and fed cats and dogs, was taught to give medications, baths, dips; walked pups, took trash out, vacuumed and mopped. It was dirty and smelly and I loved it, but it's a minimum wage endeavor so you won't be doing it for the money. So weird that sports pros make soooooooooo much money yet caring for amazing animals (and even children) has so little value and so little pay! What an unbalanced society! and unfair in many ways

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Bonus question: How have you chosen to practice activism? How do you believe others should take action?
Low income/homeless/people fighting addictions/mentally unstable. Not going to give details, makes me uncomfortable & feels like bragging. I will say that I get super unreasonably pissed off at people that continuously vomit out their opinions & ideas about issues, but have A) zero personal experience with the issue and B) done absolutely nothing to contribute a single thing to fix it. Stop sitting on the sideline thinking you're a coach that gets to belt out the plays to everyone else and get your tush in the game & be a contributing player. I don't care what cause one gets behind, just DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT or else sit down and shut the fock up. End rant. Clearly a touchy topic for me. Whoopsies. :angry:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hello! What grinds your gears? If anything at all? Environmental issues? Political? Animal Cruelty? I wanna hear! We are The Protectors after all. I think that our planet is included in that.
I've had my share of political protests. My morals are very traditional, but my social values? Well you could say that I'm a liberal bleeding heart. The last protest that I went to was a Black Lives Matter protest of all of the recent police shootings of black who were unarmed that we were seeing videotapes of. That was before I found out that the Black Lives Matter group was itself racist and discriminates against white, and certainly against Jews. Oy! I don't understand why people can't get simple ideals like judge people by the quality of their character.

But in all honestly, this kind of BIG GROUP action is not my best foot. I'm more the person that works quietly behind the scenes by writing, and talking to people one on one or in small groups. I probably did more for Black-Jewish relationships by discussing the protest with my Black friends in the office after I got back, than any real weight I carried being there with my sign.

I don't have the energy for the crowds, or the back to do the long hours of standing. Nor do I really have the desire to be front and center and get on the new or be a leader. I'm pretty focused on the goal, not on me. And my weapon is the pen. My forum is the internet. I don't see myself as a big shot. But I think that when I go onto a forum and argue that both cops and blacks need to be treated with respect and dignity, I'm fighting in a war. When I say debate people on a message board about the Israeli-Palestinian problem and state that there are wrongs on both sides, and each side needs to give up some in order to make a two state solution possible, I'm fighting a war. I can't put my ideas into a catch phrase to hold up on a rally. My ideas are complex. The nice thing about the internet is this: anyone who wants to listen to me, can. And those who don't want to, can just overlook my post.

And quite honestly? I just HAVE to say this. I don't think in the long run you are going to make great changes with new policies. What you can really hope to change is this one person. And that one person. You work with them and you help to bring up the quality of their soul. Tweak their conscience. Teach them to care about other people. Help them to discover a spirituality through which they can see the value of their fellow human beings around the world and in the house next store. It has to be done over and over again, with each new generation. The battle is never over. Remember the starfish story!!!!

So, what grinds my gear?
Racism & AntiSemitism
War against Religion (particularly hard on Christians right now)
Disparity of wealth
Ongoing oppression against women, even in the west.
Animal rights, especially of higher mammals such as chimps, elephants, etc.
The need for education of kids on how to be parents and spouses
An overhauled mental health system, beginning with more beds for inpatient care
Medicare for all, with the option to maintain private health insurance/health care is a right
Muslim extremism like ISIS, Al Qaeda, Taliban (not knocking everyday Islam you guys)
Iran and North Korea as the two wild card crazy nations
How to somehow end the cycle of corrupt dictatorships in Africa -- the true root of African poverty
A two state solution to Israel/Palestine
An end to disrespect for authority in American culture, especially towards cops, teachers, and parents
Did you know that the DSM-5 almost made introversion a mental problem?
Most children with gender dysphoria grow out of it -- doing physical transitioning will muck things up for them. Save the drastic intervention for those still struggling as adults.
I could go on. As you can see, I am a very "aware and care" person.

There are many problems, from climate change to overpopulation. None are beyond the scope of human intervention. Have an opinion. Get involved. You matter.

Reactions: SilentScream
1 - 17 of 17 Posts