Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what tritypes other INFJs on the forum have.
If you know your tritype please post it and discuss it here. How do you think it relates to and conflicts with being an INFJ?

If you're curious about tritype, here's a good place to start:
Personality Types: The Enneagram Tritype

I'm a 4w3 with a 4-7-1 tritype and I feel that it's an unusual tritype for an INFJ, mainly the 7 part. With the 3 wing and the 7 in my tritype I frequently have an urge to go outside of my inner world and thoroughly explore, interact and enjoy the world around me. But with Ni I feel very inward and like to spend a lot of time in my head too. Sometimes I feel as if I want to be in 2 mindsets or 2 places at once. I also vacilate from being very lively and out reaching to living quietly in my inner world of dreams.

I'll elaborate more on my tritype as more people posts. I would really like to hear about INFJs different enneagram types and tritypes and see how they relate to the world.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I've done this test a few time and gotten different numbers :mellow:

Mine were 1 - reformer/perfectionist, 2 - helper/servant, and 5 - investigator/problem solver
Even though I didn't get same type between the tries, I always scored highest on these three. I think I alternate between them depending on environment, like if I am in my introverted mode I can become more of investigator, want to read and figure out how things work. When I am around other people in informal environment I can become more like type 2, want to help and generally make sure others are having a good time. In a formal environment like work place or activities club I can act more like 1 around people and even clash with people if I think they are being overly selfish or unjust.

All in all I think these three go well with Ni/Ti dominant INFJ profile. #1 is due to us INFJs having high standards in general as well as our extraverted feeling function so we want to go and correct what we see as wrong for everyone, can be overly protective of others. #2 is I think when Fe goes into overdrive, then you just want to altruistically help others without demanding or expecting anything in return. #5 is probably related to having a strong Ti that is talking to the Ni all the time, so everything that Ni brings into your field of vision you go around analyzing.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm probably 4-6-9. Here are my test results:

Type 4 - 10.7
Type 6 - 10.7
Type 5 - 9
Type 9 - 7.7
Type 7 - 4.7

Wing 4w5 - 15.2
Wing 6w5 - 15.2
Wing 5w6 - 14.4
Wing 5w4 - 14.4
Wing 6w7 - 13.1
Wing 4w3 - 12.1
Wing 7w6 - 10.1
Wing 9w8 - 8.7
Wing 9w1 - 8.4
Wing 7w8 - 5.7

I might try to explain how I relate to these results later as I seem to have trouble putting my thoughts into words atm :/

·
Registered
167 Posts
Main type: 9w1

Tri-Type: 9-1-3 (I'm a social variant of the 9 type.)

I use my Ni a lot.. its pretty ridiculous I must admit. However my Fe and Ti are very balanced. While my Fe takes preference, I usually stop and ask my Ti whats going on.. before I just act. Regarding my thought process, I'd say I'm a quite healthy INFJ. I'm taking every measure to stay healthy and continuing to grow and develop to become a more efficient individual.

Me in order:

9 60 I must maintian a peaceful and easygoing environment to be happy. 1 50 I must be perfect and good to be happy. 3 47 I must be impressive and attractive to be happy. 5 46 I must be knowledgable and independent to be happy. 2 37 I must be helpful and caring to be happy. 6 36 I must be secure and safe to be happy. 7 33 I must be high and entertained to be happy. 8 30 I must be strong and in control to be happy. 4 28 I must be true to my emotions to be happy.

·
Registered
737 Posts
After deliberation my main type is most likely 8w9.

I would say my tri-type is like 8w9, then 5w6, and finally 3w2. So, it'd be 8-5-3.

This tri-type does seem to make sense for me. First, I truly do feel like an 8 so much, but I'm more familiar with 5 and 3 because I'm more conscious of those behaviors. I deeply fear being 'harmed' or 'controlled by others' (whether it be actual or perceived, of course!). As such, I want to 'protect myself'. And then I add in the 9 wing I also deeply fear disharmony and separation. In response I often want to firmly preserve life around and within me.

So, I turn to 5w6 at times of stress or when I feel as if I need to understand whatever is happening both around and within me. For a while I thought I was a 5 or a 6 because I did this, but I understood now how having understanding allows me to both protect myself and give me a greater sense of self-control as well as to preserve harmony around me and give me inner-stability. A few months ago before Christmas, a woman I loved left without saying 'good-bye'. I turned metaphorically into a 5w6. For two weeks I rarely left my house. In fact, I rarely left my bedroom. I thought for a long time to understand what had 'happened'. I felt she had hurt me, and I didn't like that at all...and so I wanted to understand it all. What a journey it was. The insights and knowledge I gained about myself, her (and subsequently others) transformed me, and within two weeks I re-emerged with an understanding that would serve me well both in managing myself and my dealings with others.

And then 3. I sort of humorously compare myself to Patrick Bateman or Cheap Trick's "He's a Whore" when I'm 3. Of course I'm not that awful. Nevertheless I do have a strong desire to achieve and subsequently be admired and respected for it. Here, the 5's desire for capability and competency as well as 8's desire to protect oneself play a part. I can become quite the 'extrovert' here too. I feel like I 'shine' when I allow my capability and competency show. Play the electric guitar as a volunteer? Tutor others in 'hard' courses like biology or human anatomy and physiology? Cook? Guide a friend through a 'difficult time' (which, to me, isn't that difficult!)? Ah, yes, that is me! And I love to 'shine'! Look at the prize I've brought home! But I've analyzed it further...it is about achievement, yes, but that achievement is, again, a defense mechanism to ultimately protect myself (and back to the 8) and give me some sense of inner-peace and -stability (and back to the 9).

The Enneagram is so cool.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
9w1-6w7-2w3 (main type is 9w1)

I don't think there's too much correlation, but then it does match my personality. I'm very peace-loving, a bit anxious, and... no, I'm not sure why 2 is there. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I’m a 1w2 though I did a couple of tests the other day and it said I might be a 5w4 but I read it and it is not me. Is the 4w5 similar to the 5w4 in some things? One of my types is 4w5 so maybe that is why.

My tri-type 1-4-6, I’m not sure how these three get along they seem contradictory and I do feel that way, the action and rationality of the 1 then the independence and emotionality of the 4 then the 6 looking for an outside source to follow. It is frustrating but at the same time I feel like they kind of balance each other, not too cold and good knowledge of my feelings but at the same time having independence but still wanting to make sure my source of values can be connected to something outside myself.

Did that make any sense lol? If there is anything not right tell me please I’m still learning about it. :unsure:

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm 9w8-2w1-7w6

It means I'm a social chameleon. Very conflicting influences there. As soon as I am happy in my blissful 9w8 zone I feel like I need to stop being so self-centred and asleep to the world around me, like I should get out there and help people, do good in society, make things better and then as soon as I gain satisfaction doing that my 7 kicks in and I want to fight against all obligations I've imposed upon myself and go and be hedonistic and impulsive and escape, and then after a time I become drained and want to calm down and not feel such highs and lows and so I withdraw from the world again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am sure I'm 4w5

If I had to guess on my Triad, I would say I am 4-5-8, and I kind of like it that way... It gives me the competitive drive and also the ability to gain the knowledge and resources I need to reach the top level of competition.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You know, I'm not sure I can take much stock in this tritype stuff. Enneagram with a wing, sure, but three different types, each with a different wing? Sounds a little bogus to me, because it means I can have up to six different potential enneagram points that apply to me depending on which way the wind is blowing on any given day. I understand the tritype is supposed to make your personality flexible and doesn't tie you down to any particular 'type,' but at the same time, it seems about as relevant as astrological zodiacs.

It's just way too a la carte for me. :proud:

That said, I'll play along. I'm primarily 9w1, with a 9-4-5 tritype.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
can anyone give me a direct link to a tri-type test?

My type I got on a normal enneagram test was 4w3

Reactions: silverlined

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
can anyone give me a direct link to a tri-type test?

My type I got on a normal enneagram test was 4w3
There's an online paid one for 10 dollars here. Enneagram Test & Instinctual Subtype Tests by Chernick-Fauvre & Fauvre

I found self awareness and exploring and thinking about all the other types/combinations to be more helpful for me. That test pegged me as a 4-7-9 (which still could be possible but I don't think so) but I compared and contrasted types 9, 1 and 8 and imagine how the energy of each fit with the 4-7 part and 1 seemed like the best fit.

What helped me with tritype was to remember that each center involves a dominant core emotion.
Heart Center (types 2-3-4): Shame
Head Center(types 5-6-7): Fear
Gut Center (8-9-1): Anger

Though we all experience all these emotions, types in that center tend to wrestle with that emotion more and each type in that center has a different style in coping with it. So if, for example, you are struggling to figure out the gut center in your tritype, look to see how you handle anger when it comes up and see which style is more of a theme for you.
Here's a little blurb on that. I've posted it before in another thread but it could be useful here.

The Dominant Emotion of each Center

Thus, each type has a particular way of coping with the dominant emotion of its Center. We can briefly see what this means by examining each type, Center by Center. In the Instinctive Center, Eights act out their anger and instinctual energies. In other words, when Eights feel anger building in them, they immediately respond to it in some physical way, raising their voices, moving more forcefully. Others can clearly see that Eights are angry because they give themselves permission to express their anger physically.
Nines deny their anger and instinctual energies as if to say, "What anger? I am not a person who gets angry." Nines are the type most out of touch with their anger and instinctual energies, often feeling threatened by them. Of course, Nines get angry like everyone else, but try to stay out of their darker feelings by focusing on idealizations of their relationships and their world.

Ones attempt to control or repress their anger and instinctual energy. They feel that they must stay in control of themselves, especially of their instinctual impulses and angry feelings at all times. They would like to direct these energies according to the dictates of their highly developed inner critic (superego), the source of their strictures on themselves and others.

In the Feeling Center, Twos attempt to control their shame by getting other people to like them and to think of them as good people. They also want to convince themselves that they are good, loving people by focusing on their positive feelings for others while repressing their negative feelings (such as anger and resentment at not being appreciated enough). As long as Twos can get positive emotional responses from others, they feel wanted and are able to control feelings of shame.

Threes try to deny their shame, and are potentially the most out of touch with underlying feelings of inadequacy. Threes learn to cope with shame by trying to become what they believe a valuable, successful person is like. Thus, Threes learn to perform well, to be acceptable, even outstanding and are often driven relentlessly in their pursuit of success as a way of staving off feelings of shame and fears of failure.

Fours attempt to control their shame by focusing on how unique and special their particular talents, feelings, and personal characteristics are. Fours highlight their individuality and creativity as a way of dealing with their shameful feelings, although Fours are the type most likely to succumb to feelings of inadequacy. Fours also manage their shame by cultivating a rich, romantic fantasy life in which they do not have to deal with whatever in their life seems drab or uninteresting to them.

In the Thinking Center, Fives have anxiety about the outer world and about their capacity to cope with it. Thus, they cope with their fear by withdrawing from the world. Fives become secretive, isolated loners who use their minds to penetrate into the nature of the world. Fives hope that eventually, as they understand reality on their own terms, they will be able to rejoin the world and participate in it, but they never feel they know enough to participate with total confidence. Instead, they involve themselves with increasingly complex inner worlds.

Sixes are the most anxious type, and the most out of touch with their own sense of inner knowing and confidence. Unlike Fives, Sixes have trouble trusting their own minds, so they are constantly looking outside themselves for something to make them feel sure of themselves. They might turn to philosophies, beliefs, relationships, jobs, savings, authorities, or any combination of the above. But no matter how many security structures they create, Sixes still feel doubtful and anxious. They may even begin to doubt the very people and beliefs that they have turned to for reassurance. Sixes may also respond to their anxiety by impulsively confronting it— defying their fear in the effort to be free of it.

Sevens have anxiety about their inner world. There are feelings of pain, loss, deprivation, and general anxiety that Sevens would like to stay clear of as much as possible. To cope with these feelings, Sevens keep their minds occupied with exciting possibilities and options— as long as they have something stimulating to anticipate, Sevens feel that they can distract themselves from their fears. Sevens, in most cases, do not stop merely at thinking about these options, however. As much as possible they attempt to actually do as many of their options as they can. Thus, Sevens can be found staying on the go, pursuing one experience after another, and keeping themselves entertained and engaged with their many ideas and activities.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts