Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but anyway.

For those of you new to the term, HSP stands for Highly Sensitive Person -- which means someone who has a more sensitive central nervous system, and tends to posess a higher sense of awareness than the general population. HSP's are easily overwhelmed, overstimulated or stressed out by external stimuli faster and moreso than other people. We need to have timeout to retreat and recharge our energy. It's also called Sensory Processing Sensitivity It is an innate trait, something you're born with. I've noticed that the description of HSP's on the internet is so closely related if not synonymous with INFJ's.

I found out that I was an HSP a few years ago, and a few months ago that I was an INFJ. And going on the INFJ type, I'm sure at least 90% if not all of INFJs must be HSP as well. I've read the description of HSP's on many websites and they seem closely related if not entirely synonymous with the INFJ.

Has anyone else noticed the connection between INFJ and HSP? Also are there any other types out there who have noticed they are HSP as well?

Attributes and Characteristics of Being Highly Sensitive

Emotionally, Highly Sensitive People (HSP) are mainly seen as shy, introverted and socially inhibited (or can be socially extroverted). They are often acutely aware of other's emotions. Sensitive people learn early in life to mask their wonderful attributes of sensitivity, intuition and creativity.

Physically, HSPs may have low tolerance to noise, glaring lights, strong odors, clutter and/or chaos. They tend to have more body awareness of themselves and know instinctually when the environment they are in is not working for them.

Socially, introverted HSP may feel like misfits. They actually enjoy their own company and are totally comfortable being alone. Both introverted and socially extroverted HSP often find they need time alone to recover after social interactions.

Psychologically, HSPs compensate for their sensitivity by either protecting themselves by being alone too much, or, by trying to be 'normal' or sociable which then over-stimulates them into stress.

Work and career is particularly challenging for HSPs. They are often overlooked for promotions even though they are usually the most conscientious employees. They are excellent project oriented employees because they are responsible and thorough in their work.

Relationships can be difficult. In relationships they may be confronted with their unresolved personal issues. They can however, offer their partner the gifts of their intuitive insights.

Culturally, HSPs do not fit the tough, stoic and outgoing ideals of modern society and what is portrayed in the entertainment media.

Childhood wounds have a more devastating effect on HSPs. It is important for them to heal their past hurts because they cannot just forget them and go on in denial.

Spiritually, sensitive people have a greater capacity for inner searching. This is one of their greatest blessings.

Nutritionally, HSPs may need more simplicity in their diet. They may be vitally aware of the effects of food on the health of their body and their emotional stability.

"HSPs are often introverted-- as many as 70% are-- and frequently come from the Myers-Briggs types INFP, INFJ, INTP and INTJ. However, 30% of HSPs are extraverts; and these are typically of the ENFP and ENFJ Myers-Briggs types." ~ HSP Connections .com
[/FONT]

·
Registered
468 Posts
"HSPs are often introverted-- as many as 70% are-- and frequently come from the Myers-Briggs types INFP, INFJ, INTP and INTJ. However, 30% of HSPs are extraverts; and these are typically of the ENFP and ENFJ Myers-Briggs types." ~ HSP Connections .com [/I][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Something that I noticed the first time was how all the above most common types (which are now placed in bold above) are all 4 of the IN's. That is, INFP, INFJ, INTP, and INTJ. It does make logical sense that the majority of HSP's fall into the category of Introverts. It also makes sense that they predominantly use their intuition.

Although I find my intuition to be extremely helpful in working and getting along with people, it also serves to protect me from most potential danger. However, on the other end operating daily while using intuition on the regular, can cause me to deplete in energy. Could this in turn, could make INFJs even more sensitive and hypervigilant? Any observations and thoughts on this?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Although I find my intuition to be extremely helpful in working and getting along with people, it also serves to protect me from most potential danger. However, on the other end operating daily while using intuition on the regular, can cause me to deplete in energy. Could this in turn, could make INFJs even more sensitive and hypervigilant? Any observations and thoughts on this?[/QUOTE]

I'm INFJ and HSP and I just feel drained after a day's work. I think it's kind of a virtuous circle. You get tired because you're overstimulated by events and people. Going along with your day costs a lot of energy and you get emotional and irritated. That again can give you a sense of anxiety about your behaviour and about the fact that you need to be alone to refuel but can't (yet). That is an extra stimulation etc etc

·
Master
1,886 Posts
I'm INFJ and HSP and I just feel drained after a day's work. I think it's kind of a virtuous circle. You get tired because you're overstimulated by events and people. Going along with your day costs a lot of energy and you get emotional and irritated. That again can give you a sense of anxiety about your behaviour and about the fact that you need to be alone to refuel but can't (yet). That is an extra stimulation etc etc
I can report the same thing about my work days and I'm a HSP too.

Being HSP isn't fun and I see few upsides in western culture for them/us.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I can report the same thing about my work days and I'm a HSP too.

Being HSP isn't fun and I see few upsides in western culture for them/us.
You know, I think you can still live the life you want and need, though our culture might see us as abnormal, underachieving, too sensitive. Heck, even my family thinks I'm all of these things.

I believe that, if you would find an occupation/job that fits your personality just right, you can be happy and just a part of this extraverted world. In some sectors, you find so many intuitive, introverted people, that you will feel bonded with, and that will understand your needs and boundaries. I HAVE TO believe this, otherwise I'm doomed :rolleyes: Still searching for a job that fits this description though...

I'm only talking about career paths for extra sensitive INFJ's of course, but your work is a place where you spend a big part of your day, it should feel like home!

I apologise if my English isn't always great, Dutch is my mother tongue :happy:

Can you agree? Maybe you found a workplace where you can thrive?

·
Master
1,886 Posts
@VinnieB

Yes, I agree and I have found a workplace that I can have some measure of privacy and peace.

Don't worry about your English by the way, it's perfectly fine. Arguably your writing is better than some teenagers who have it as their first language.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've always considered myself HSP... it doesn't take much to exhaust me or overwhelm me. I prefer to spend much of my day alone and in silence, reading or blocking out the world. I hate having multiple things going at once such as holding a conversation AND watching tv AND the radio is on AND there are other people in the house... it's too much to handle. As a child my mother would always get angry with me for hiding in my room whenever we had company over. I wasn't necessarily shy, I just didn't have the energy to take it all in.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Okay, thanks Winegums :wink:
In what branch do you work then, if I might ask?

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
"HSPs are often introverted-- as many as 70% are-- and frequently come from the Myers-Briggs types INFP, INFJ, INTP and INTJ. However, 30% of HSPs are extraverts; and these are typically of the ENFP and ENFJ Myers-Briggs types." ~ HSP Connections .com [/I][/FONT]
Something that I noticed the first time was how all the above most common types (which are now placed in bold above) are all 4 of the IN's. That is, INFP, INFJ, INTP, and INTJ. It does make logical sense that the majority of HSP's fall into the category of Introverts. It also makes sense that they predominantly use their intuition.

Although I find my intuition to be extremely helpful in working and getting along with people, it also serves to protect me from most potential danger. However, on the other end operating daily while using intuition on the regular, can cause me to deplete in energy. Could this in turn, could make INFJs even more sensitive and hypervigilant? Any observations and thoughts on this?[/QUOTE]
I saw a really great quote recently describing intuition; it has to do with seeing the truth in the present moment while staying balanced in all your selves (mind, body, spirit, emotions, whatever you believe). I believe it takes practice to move between these selves with ease. For me, someone who is very sensitive and highly introverted, I’m beginning to think that I gain energy being introverted. I think I lose energy listening to the hype that says I need to be more extroverted, or being around energy vampires, or not understanding who I am and what I’m feeling and so taking on say someone’s depression that finally I can see wasn’t mine but I felt deeply.

·
Master
1,886 Posts
I'm a junior manager at a machine shop. I allocate and make cut lists for the steel that the workers will be using and machining. The objective of the job is producing the least amount of scrap material, which really isn't that challenging for me. The rest of the job consists of being a problem solver/detective as I'm often the go to person for sniffing out the root cause of things.

Anyway it's a desk job with my own office and the only other people in the building are an IXTJ and INTP. So silence and peace is something we all desire and our quiet office reflects that.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Here's the post broken into a "symptoms" list. I got stuck on the statement that this is innate and something you're born with. This struck me as a little victimized and hopeless. I haven't heard of HSP until now, so I'm just basing my conclusions off of your post alone, but I don't agree with this statement. Again, I could be wrong, I'm just going off of your post. But honestly what you're describing sounds a lot more like low self-esteem, poor self-concept, depression, emotional trauma/scarring, nutritional problems, issues with blood sugar, anxiety disorders, seasonal affective disorder, or other psychological/medical disorders. I've bolded the ones that struck me this way. The ones that are not bolded don't seem like bad things to me.

Thoughts? Differing opinions? I feel like I could relate to most of these when I was going through depression as a kid, but not now.

-shy -- living testimony that this can change
-introverted
-socially inhibited
-socially extroverted
-acutely aware of other's emotions
-mask their sensitivity
-mask their intuition
-mask their creativity

-low tolerance to noise
-low tolerance to glaring lights
-low tolerance to strong odors
-low tolerance to clutter
-low tolerance to chaos

-More body awareness of themselves
-Know instinctually when the environment they are in is not working for them

-Feel like misfits
-Enjoy their own company
-Comfortable being alone
-Need time alone to recover after social interactions

-Protecting themselves by being alone too much
-Trying to be 'normal' or sociable which then over-stimulates them into stress

-Work and career is particularly challenging
-Overlooked for promotions -- the squeaky wheel gets grease. I don't think this is a deficiency, just an annoying result of being someone who's not a pain in the butt.
-The most conscientious employees
-Excellent project oriented employees
-Responsible and thorough in their work

-Relationships can be difficult
-May be confronted with their unresolved personal issues
-- Anybody who doesn't resolve their issues will be visited by them again at some point
-Offer their partner intuitive insights.

-Do not fit ideals of modern society (tough, stoic, outgoing)
-Do not fit ideals portrayed in the media

-Childhood wounds have a more devastating effect -- I think any wound can devastate if not addressed
-Important for them to heal their past hurts
-Cannot just forget past hurts
-Cannot go on in denial -- anybody who thinks they can is just in denial ;)

-Greater capacity for inner searching

-Need more simplicity in their diet
-Aware of the effects of food on the health of their body and their emotional stability

·
Banned
3,600 Posts
I looked into this a while back and thought it interesting, but one point made me disregard the entire thing... "born with it." I halfway looked through various sources, and I found nowhere anything that said this was a proven fact and how. It gave me the impression that the coiners and followers of HSP were really just describing a set of traits common across a set of personality types, and guessing that it was genetic. It's either genetic or it isn't. It's biological or it isn't. That's why I disregarded the whole thing.

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,675 Posts
I'm a junior manager at a machine shop. I allocate and make cut lists for the steel that the workers will be using and machining. The objective of the job is producing the least amount of scrap material, which really isn't that challenging for me. The rest of the job consists of being a problem solver/detective as I'm often the go to person for sniffing out the root cause of things.

Anyway it's a desk job with my own office and the only other people in the building are an IXTJ and INTP. So silence and peace is something we all desire and our quiet office reflects that.
That sounds like heaven!

(Not to derail the thread or anything...)

·
Registered
531 Posts
It's either genetic or it isn't. It's biological or it isn't. That's why I disregarded the whole thing.
I don't know that I would discard the concept outright. I think it's reasonable to say X is a sensitive trait, Y is a sensitive trait, and Z is a sensitive trait, so let's give it a name (HSP) when someone has all three. I would encourage people to not label themselves with things that put them down, imply defeat (I can never change!) or devalue them (which this may or may not do, depending on how it's defined), but logically I don't see a problem with it.

It also makes sense that people who exhibit a significantly larger number of sensitive traits might be more susceptible to emotional and social tensions. Then if they also struggle to manage stresses and deal with tensions as they arise (for example: not dealing with wounds or unresolved issues), I could see why they might develop depression, anxiety, hypertension, digestive issues, etc.

I just think it's important to distinguish between that which we have no control over, and that which we can and should change.

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference" (Reinhold Niebuhr).

·
Banned
3,600 Posts
As a grouping of personality traits? Sure. That works. I'm not really for anything that tries to say "born this way" loosely, and leading people to think it is true, when there's no proof to say it is. Biological? Or environmental development? I highly disagree with them saying it is either when they have no idea if it is one, the other, or a combination of both. They should have left that part out of it completely.

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Here's the post broken into a "symptoms" list. I got stuck on the statement that this is innate and something you're born with. This struck me as a little victimized and hopeless. I haven't heard of HSP until now, so I'm just basing my conclusions off of your post alone, but I don't agree with this statement. Again, I could be wrong, I'm just going off of your post. But honestly what you're describing sounds a lot more like low self-esteem, poor self-concept, depression, emotional trauma/scarring, nutritional problems, issues with blood sugar, anxiety disorders, seasonal affective disorder, or other psychological/medical disorders. I've bolded the ones that struck me this way. The ones that are not bolded don't seem like bad things to me.

Thoughts? Differing opinions? I feel like I could relate to most of these when I was going through depression as a kid, but not now.

-shy -- living testimony that this can change
-introverted
-socially inhibited
-socially extroverted
-acutely aware of other's emotions
-mask their sensitivity
-mask their intuition
-mask their creativity

-low tolerance to noise
-low tolerance to glaring lights
-low tolerance to strong odors
-low tolerance to clutter
-low tolerance to chaos

-More body awareness of themselves
-Know instinctually when the environment they are in is not working for them

-Feel like misfits
-Enjoy their own company
-Comfortable being alone
-Need time alone to recover after social interactions

-Protecting themselves by being alone too much
-Trying to be 'normal' or sociable which then over-stimulates them into stress

-Work and career is particularly challenging
-Overlooked for promotions -- the squeaky wheel gets grease. I don't think this is a deficiency, just an annoying result of being someone who's not a pain in the butt.
-The most conscientious employees
-Excellent project oriented employees
-Responsible and thorough in their work

-Relationships can be difficult
-May be confronted with their unresolved personal issues
-- Anybody who doesn't resolve their issues will be visited by them again at some point
-Offer their partner intuitive insights.

-Do not fit ideals of modern society (tough, stoic, outgoing)
-Do not fit ideals portrayed in the media

-Childhood wounds have a more devastating effect -- I think any wound can devastate if not addressed
-Important for them to heal their past hurts
-Cannot just forget past hurts
-Cannot go on in denial -- anybody who thinks they can is just in denial ;)

-Greater capacity for inner searching

-Need more simplicity in their diet
-Aware of the effects of food on the health of their body and their emotional stability
The HSP causes these things. It is a distinct, inherent heightened sensitivity that some of us are born with (yes- 100%), which is a incredible gift but also abnormal and hard to deal with.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have always been ISFJ on MBTI tests but last year I started forming signs of being an empath (form of HSP). My intuition is getting stronger each day and now when I take the test it kicks back as INFJ. I also am highly sensitive to everything around me, pick up other's energy, motivations, can Heal them, can sense emotions that are far away or in the future...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts