1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
As far as demeanor, the INFP is a bit more animated than I might be normally (maybe she's in an ENFP mode as she is "performing"), but I can relate to her in some ways. I gesture a lot. I pause mid sentence to gather my thoughts, to sort of convert them into something others can (hopefully) grasp. Most INFJs I've known have a warmer vibe, not unlike the INFJ here, but less reserved. I am usually more or as reserved as INFJs, but when I am "warm", it is more intense, and their warmness seems more even. I realize this makes INFPs seem "inconsistent" to people - we seem "hot" or "cold". Of course, INFJs can have nasty tempers also, but I'm talking about everyday demeanor, not emotional moments.

Their views aren't necessarily how I see myself/INFPs or INFJs, but I don't disagree with their basic concepts. For instance, I am very guarded/private, but I am open to people/ideas in the sense that I withhold judgment on others until I feel I have enough info. My demeanor is not inviting, nor do I share a lot of personal feelings easily. Info/facts are not that hard for me to put out there though.

Whereas, INFJs may seem to judge quickly which seems "closed", however, their demeanor can seem warmer to me in its Fe politeness, which reads as "open" to me. They seem to express their feelings easier, but withhold personal information. So they toss out beliefs on external global issues, expressing judgments easily, but they won't discuss their personal life. I think both types guard deep emotions, but maybe INFPs discuss shallower ones more if it's a tool to relate to someone (to get the OTHER person to open up). This may add to the open effect, but it's deceiving to those who think that is the extent of the INFP's emotions & feelings, or to think we are expressing them for their own sake.

I don't think it boils down to "open" vs "guarded", but maybe open & guarded in different ways.

Reactions: MissNobody

·
Registered
962 Posts
I quite liked watching those, thanks for sharing.

I've met very few infj's , for obvious reasons, so it was nice to get a small snapshot of one and her feelings. I can relate very much to their primary subject matter, infp's needing everything just right and constantly scanning for idealized grandiose possibilities, I'm quite conscious that I engage in that behaviour , but it's so damn hard to turn it off, it feels like a nervous tourettes like tic that I'm compulsed to act on. I find I drive almost every other type crazy when I do it, which is quite frequent, but could see how it would especially drive an infj bonkers.

I want my own special infj friend now, how much do they cost? :)

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Both INFPs and INFJs are both very guarded/private in their ways. But, I hypothesize that where the difference may be and why the INFP in that video was implying she would like INFJs to open up to her, is that what we crave to share with someone we really feel like has a connection with us and we can trust is our respective dominant traits.

So, if that is true, what an INFP wants to share is Fi, which encompasses their complex emotional experience which they don't normally go around sharing to the world, as well as their internal moral framework.

At the same time, what an INFJ wants to share is Ni, which is something that doesn't necessarily require external verbal communication, but more likely an internal mutual understanding, "knowing."

That's just a guess. I think I did experience that with my INxJ ex.

One thing that did really drive her crazy was that I was so nonlinear in conversation, and so enthusiastic about EVERYTHING, and how I was always looking for more possible answers and solutions and points of view and information in EVERY situation. (She was depressed at the time, but regardless,) I think that really tired her out. She also saw it as really immature. I saw her narrow-mindedness, her refusing to see anything else but her decisions, conclusions, points of view, etc., as being equally immature.

Reactions: MissNobody

·
Registered
154 Posts
The first time I ever saw these videos a few months ago, my jaw was on the floor, because the speech patterns and mannerisms of these two are EXACTLY the same as my cousin (INFJ) and me when we're talking. It's uncanny. I'm like the crazy one, smiling and getting all excited about personality theory when discussing it with her. She's a little more on the fence about MBTI but, being her supportive self, she will have the conversation to appease me, but I feel like she's sort of secretly rolling her eyes at my child-like enthusiasm, all the while forming judgments and seeing patterns in her head as we're talking, like, "ah, yes, this is typical for her--getting so ridiculously excited about whatever she is interested in/valuing at the moment!" Also, my cousin would definitely call me "very scattered" in a matter-of-fact way (5:19 on first video). :happy:

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Patty was right saying the two types are really nothing like each other (in terms of functions)...

I would say i'm a little in between both these ladies. Probably more on the side of the infj, with the directive side- the communication styles you can see coming out, which I love.

The infj is a little more withdrawn than i've experienced. Though perhaps because I knew them fairly well? I think Patty was more open perhaps because she's so used to vlogging?

I only just noticed Patty is wearing one mitten on her hand *se fail*

·
Registered
65 Posts
Smashing Pumpkins-1979

DEFINITELY one of my favorite bands/songs ever!

Although I don't have any contributions to make about the video, I know nothing about INFJs.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
First of all, I'm familiar with her video's, seen this one before. I was thinking that my interaction style is more like the INFJ in the vid, but at the same time I can see myself more in INFPatty, in what she's saying. I'm just more reserved, I think that is because of her enneagram being 4w3, mine being 9w1. And indeed, she has good taste in music.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Another possibility to consider is that both INFPs and INFJs strongly value meaningful human connection, but maybe because of our functions being the inverted versions of each other, what we consider meaningful vs. what we take for granted/think is surface interaction is the exact opposite of each other.

So, INFP:
"Meaningless/Surface" - Intuition/Thinking (Ne/Te)
"Meaningful/Real Connection" - Feeling/Sensing (Fi/Si)

vs. INFJ:
"Meaningless/Surface" - Feeling/Sensing (Fe/Se)
"Meaningful/Real Connection" - Intuition/Thinking (Ni/Ti)

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I don't find Si to be that meaningful.... I can find Si-doms to provide meaningful conversation, but conversations I find most meaningful focus on ideas & feelings, which seems a FiNe thing. I think that's what I meant above about relating factual info being easy for me, in comparison to an NFJ anyway. I can talk about my experience in factual terms easily, but when it comes to dreams, feelings, beliefs, etc. that is deeper territory, because that has real meaning to me.

I find INFJs talk about their beliefs from a Ti standpoint somewhat easily. They toss out logical opinions as I might toss a tidbit about my past experience, but it's kind of shallow, as far as what it means to the individual.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts