Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know but I starting to notice as I aged that I am developing a narcissistic habit that is increasing rapidly. Maybe because I'm really consciousness of my surroundings and I always need to feel special about myself. Like I constantly keep on taking personality test and astrology and there is never a time that I don't think about myself as being special. But if I don't do it I start to become depressed unless I have an exterior stimulant like video games or food. But I also a strong humanitarian concerns so I'm not that selfish. I hope I'm not the only INFJ like this. I heard that this personality type have some connection to narcissism.

·
Registered
849 Posts
As long as you arent hurting anyone, a confidence is a good thing in my opinion. Loving yourself and feeling good, and feeling validated are important things to feel. Self love is very impotent!
I am the same way. I feel like I need to construct this unique manic pixie dream girl persona so I can feel special, like I want to be this unattainable character, like Summer in 500 Days of Summer (super cliche example, but you catch my drift) If I ever start to loose that feeling of superiority, I get really grumpy.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Without question I can be prone to having my nose up in the air. For whatever reason, I really enjoy being noticeable, but unapproachable. Part of this is because I prefer to dictate the terms of my interaction with others oppose to being caught out of left field when people engage me.

Next, I really like leveraging stature or prestige. We all know that people are treated differently for things as simple as the color of your skin, your attractiveness and alike, but this also includes perceived intelligence or status. If you consider that most people struggle with self-esteem related issues, it's not too hard to create the illusion of importance. When you do that, you can leverage it to essentially get your way. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've found loop holes or cut corners just based on this.

In the end though, I don't think it's as important as being inherently full of yourself Jersey Shore style, but rather recognizing how easily others are disillusioned. That realization in itself is what can really inflate your sense of self worth. Beyond the douche side of all this, you can also use this leverage to really bring people up.

·
Registered
849 Posts
and the fact that you suspected yourself of narcissism and you're self aware means you're definitely not clinically a narcissist. im guessing most actual ones wouldnt think of the term to apply to themselevs

Reactions: quiet659

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and the fact that you suspected yourself of narcissism and you're self aware means you're definitely not clinically a narcissist. im guessing most actual ones wouldnt think of the term to apply to themselevs
LOL that makes sense:laughing:

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
I think it's just mostly a matter of age. When you're young, standing out in the crowd is applauded. You can become popular and well liked for your exceptional looks and/or talents. In school, everyone sorts themselves off into their own niches and groups. There are rivalries.

In college though, that becomes less of a thing, and after college, it's nearly non-existant. You are just another adult in a sea of adults, each doing their own thing. It's up to you to live your life as you see fit, as long as it doesn't bother others.

Also, I believe INFJs become more self assured as we get older, so appreciating yourself in various ways may just be a part of that process. Maybe it's a way we can have admiration we seek when we can't find it elsewhere.

·
Banned
1,742 Posts
I've noticed narcissistic tendencies in myself stem from rejection. In times of rejection, I tend to overcompensate by beefing up my ego in my head. Sooooo many years I was rejected in sooooo many different scenarios. I'm only just now coming into the age of self validation and I'm learning where to tell people to step tf off. While rejection has become a familiar foe to me, I still have to catch myself.

For example, just tonight I was in the sauna after working out and heard some broads in the locker room casually bringing up how I workout almost every day in the tone of voice like I'm a freak. My initial thought was to step outside and say, "So YOU are here to see me here every day so what does that say about YOU? So it's okay for you to be here everyday but not okay for me? You know what? Fuck you." Aaaaand so on....

...My thoughts only. In this case, I'm glad I didn't say anything. I realized that I'm STILL growing in the area of self validation, because if I truly validated myself, I'd laugh at that or write them off as jealous broads.

It was my narcissistic tendency that felt some need inside to get these bitches told and let them know who tf I am. I'm learning to kill my ego for the sake of my own sanity. I guess I'm just learning to kill my ego for the right reasons and at the right time.

Even in instances where someone is rotten and conniving and wicked, there is something to be said about grace in those situations.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My narcissism comes from wanting others to validate who I am because doing it myself brings me a lot of doubt. Trusting myself is a hard thing to do.
This was such an honest, vulnerable thing to admit that I want to applaud it :D

I'm learning slowly, to be the one that pats her own back and gives herself so much love that expecting more from others becomes unnecessary. Because people really do disappoint. And I take good care of myself and eat well and make sure I don't step out looking shabby. I don't know if those things necessarily make me narcissistic, but they're all born out of a need to protect myself.

I feel that a person who loves themselves truly will not hold on to negative emotions like anger or shame. And when you're so compassionate to yourself, it spills over to others around you. Because, I guess, in today's day and age, if you have to give, you can't do it without tending to yourself first. Society is just more individualistic now. But what's ironic is everybody's stressing their "uniqueness" in more or less the same ways.

Reactions: folium
1 - 11 of 11 Posts