Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so you may know that I have been questioning my type based on how I used to behave/think when I was younger. I hope I can get some of your ideas on how your Ne works.

I've always felt like my Ne is situational. It always seems to come out when I am with other people.

I guess tell me if this is Ne: My friends and I will see things and then start making up scenarios or imagine things and it'll make us laugh really hard. I'll do this with certain friends, usually the ones I really have a good time with. EXXP types

It's hard for me to know though because when I am by myself I think I'm using Ni and Ti. Anyway, could you guys tell me examples of when you use Ne and how you use/how often/what circumstances.

Discuss. Thanks. :ninja:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I am in a relationship with an INTP.

Although we are clearly N's we accuse each other of not being able to follow each other's abstract
thoughts.
The connection between Fe and Ti are totally apparent. the Si and Se compliment each other quite well.
But when we go on tangents we lose each other. I can't keep up with her and she can't quite grasp .. Well I don't make sense to her.
Why?? Because Her Intuition is extraverted and mine is Introverted.. I distill when she expands and she distills when I expand.. It fascinating to watch. We show each other much.. but often we are also left drained from trying to explain.
Then we cuddle.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
According to the tests, I use a LOT of both Ni and Ne. However, I'm not sure I understand Ne enough to explain how/when I use it. I can definitely "expand" an idea, though breaking it down is my first instinct and what I'm more comfortable doing. But I think I've noticed myself using Ne a lot in group work...I've found that it's actually incredibly useful to use both N functions in those situations. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Ne always struck me as a "brainstorming" function - something you use to see possibilities and trying to look at things from several different angles (because there always IS a different way to see something). I get the impression that it's the "creative ideas" function. Ni can break it all down and organize it into a solid foundation. Does that make any sense? And am I completely off base?

Question: are Ni users allowed to have fun?
Yes, but usually what's "fun" to an Ni user is often considered "nerdy" by everyone else. :D

Skydiving? Bungee jumping? Roller coasters? Big parties? Those things do not sound fun to me, even though they're supposed to. However, hand me an abstract concept or complex situation to break down or some kind of brain teaser, and I'm having the time of my life. However, if you take me to one of those water theme parks, I'd probably have a lot of fun there, too...as long as you don't let me start thinking about how unsanitary everything is...

·
Registered
290 Posts
INFJs can use Ne well, but we don't value it as much as say ENXP or INXP types do and so we don't use it nearly as much. When my ENTP boyfriend comes up with all of these possibilities for things, I am all "That's neat/funny/amusing, but this one is stupid because of A, that one won't work because of B, and this is kind of a waste of time." My tendency is to focus more on getting at the core of something than generating multiple possibilities from it.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,469 Posts
Well Ne is an extroverted function so I guess it makes sense that you notice it more when you're with other people. And yes, I would say what you described is Ne.

I honestly don't feel comfortable seeing with Ne. It's much too sporadic for me but that's me :) Ne is excellent at generating ideas. I wish I could keep up with my INFP bro sometimes. Other times, just listening to him and my type 7 ESFJ sister play off one another is exhausting/confusing and then I get bored and feel like leaving.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I have a love/hate relationship with Ne. I like it in small doses, and need a lot of time in between to take in the massive information overload that Ne produces to my more slower Ni process.

When I'm talking to someone with a strong Ne, I often feel like I need to keep up with their conversation because they would be going from idea to idea in mere seconds, while I at the same time am dissecting and pondering their first idea that they were talking about minutes earlier. By the time that I have something to say about what they were talking about, they are already gone ahead so far into the conversation that my responses are no longer relevant.

When I use Ne, on the other hand, I feel like a starving person in a buffet, I would think of something, and that idea will go to something else, and that something else will connect to another thing and so on, and this usually happens when I'm stressed. Funny thing is that using Ne will stress me even more because I have a really hard time concentrating and everything seems so superficial. In those cases, I try to reconnect with my Ni-Ti and analyze and perceive one idea at a time until it produces something of value out of it.

I certainly wouldn't be apt to be an ENXP, my brain would literally get caught on fire from all the thinking lol

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I suppose a more direct approach then?

According to this system.

If you are an INFJ you have no conscious awareness of Ne..
It's influence is indistinguishable among your perceptions, judgments and actions.
INFJ is Ni/Fe/Ti/Se.
The missing concept is "Compensation".
The functions compensate for each other.. If you are INFJ.. Ni/Fe/Ti/Se compensate for the lack of Ne/Fi/Te/Si and perform the roles those functions would perform but from a different angle and starting point.
There is a subconscious influence but by the time it reaches the surface it gets trumped by your dominant conscious functions.

If you are aware of using Ne (and claim INFJ as your type).. You either don't understand Ne and what it does and so you are confusing other functions for it. OR.. You do use Ne and thus are mistyped.

Just saying.. You can't have it all folks. If you are one.. you are not aware of the other.
That doesn't mean you can't see it in others or your own functions aren't doing their best to mimic other functions.
But mimicry is what it is.. An imitation..
This is why people have and will continue to have communication breakdowns.
We don't all see things the same.

For an INFJ.. since mimicry is a strength.. It might make sense that you believe you have the whole compass covered within yourself.
But you are fooling yourself.. Something else INFJs are adept at.

Love you all.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Geez @Arclight, now I not only feel unsure of my type but of my knowledge of the system as well... all in one post. Good job, buddy!:laughing:

*Goes back to the cave*

Reactions: Arclight

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
When I'm talking to someone with a strong Ne, I often feel like I need to keep up with their conversation because they would be going from idea to idea in mere seconds, while I at the same time am dissecting and pondering their first idea that they were talking about minutes earlier. By the time that I have something to say about what they were talking about, they are already gone ahead so far into the conversation that my responses are no longer relevant.
Perhaps that's why watching interviews with Robin Williams when he's "on" makes me so tired. :laughing:

"i'm over here! Ha ha! Now I'm over here! Wait!!! Now I'm over here doing a funny voice! BOING, BOING, BOING!!!!"

I can take it for about 5 minutes and then I have to turn that shit off due to overstimulation.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Alright so you may know that I have been questioning my type based on how I used to behave/think when I was younger. I hope I can get some of your ideas on how your Ne works.

I've always felt like my Ne is situational. It always seems to come out when I am with other people.

I guess tell me if this is Ne: My friends and I will see things and then start making up scenarios or imagine things and it'll make us laugh really hard. I'll do this with certain friends, usually the ones I really have a good time with. EXXP types

It's hard for me to know though because when I am by myself I think I'm using Ni and Ti. Anyway, could you guys tell me examples of when you use Ne and how you use/how often/what circumstances.

Discuss. Thanks. :ninja:
Ne confuses and frightens me, for the most part.

The bolded part there is basically the entirely of my 'usage' of Ne (if that's what it is), which comes around from hanging out with my EXTP friend. Usually he supplies some random bs idea and I'll extend it. For example, a lot of the time when we're watching a movie, it just devolves into us making up our own plot and 'dubbing' over the actors' lines (to the dismay of our other friends who are interested in what's actually happening :rolleyes:).

edit: yay 100 posts, procrastination is good for something after all! ^_^

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
Perhaps that's why watching interviews with Robin Williams when he's "on" makes me so tired. :laughing:

"i'm over here! Ha ha! Now I'm over here! Wait!!! Now I'm over here doing a funny voice! BOING, BOING, BOING!!!!"

I can take it for about 5 minutes and then I have to turn that shit off due to overstimulation.

This made me laugh out loud. How true.

I also think it's why I prefer Ne as an auxiliary, because it seems to boost the introverted, subjective nature of the dominant function. That makes it a bit more relatable to me as an Ni dominant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts