Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I searched for a thread about what INFJs work, what is important to them and how they handle different situations but I couldn't find anything...(if there is something like this, please tell me :) )

Lets start and talk about work!

What do you do for a living?
What were your reasons to choose this work, and what do you like about it?
Do you have something which stresses you out the most? (what is it and how do you handle it?)
Do you have a problem with working overtime or do you like it?
Do you have any specific plans for the future?
....andand and :p

I will start with myself now.

What I do: I work in a horse-stable -mostly cleaning everything (my ridingskills aren't good enough to be a trainer :p)

My reason to do this work:I always wanted to work with horses and I love being outside. My parents didn't want me to do it, but thats another story o_O At the stable I work now I can mostly work really independent. I have my things to do and can choose when to do it. I really love it to make my own 'time plans' and working with no one around constantly telling me what to do.

What stresses me out the most: Eventough I can plan my time mostly myself, it happens nearly everyday my chef appears and pushes something more into it. So I have to reorganize everything again and this stresses me very much. It slows me extremely down planning everything new and I hate it. Also because of this I sometimes don't get to do other work (which stresses me even more) or I have to stop working at something, starting something new, stop that, starting again something new and finishing it, finishig the other and finishing the last o_O It really annoys me and slows me extremely down >.< How I deal with it? I keep working and working like a badass till i finished everything (what never really happens :( ) No really, I haven't really found a solution to this problem yet. First I thought it may change over time (me getting more used to it and being more 'flexible') but it does not happen. So now I just tell myself 'It is not going to kill you, so it makes you stronger' :) I just try my best... and keep telling me 'It's okay'

Me working overtime: My chefs sometimes need to stop me from working overtime. I have no problem with it -never had - and I prefer finishing something but working longer over finishing my day on time and postpone something to another day. (here I may add, my overtime doesn't get paid...I do it all for free -which some people find crazy...)

Future:In one and a half year I want to travel around the world, find some nice man to live with and settle down somewere :p I really enjoy working with horses but I don't think I want to do it my whole life (but who knows). Maybe I will start some artistic career... writing a book or something like this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think this is a great thread, and came at just the right time for me! My answers may not be of much help since I am in that limbo stage...:frustrating:

Technically I am working for the family business - Market Research. Enjoy the topic (its psychology and consumer behavior related which interests me) but due to re-location and opportunity I am changing gears.

Left corporate America, and allowed me to get more into my major which was Marketing. Still not sure if this is what I want to do.

Do you have something which stresses you out the most? (what is it and how do you handle it?)
In my last job, it's un-organization of my tasks or being able to prioritize when additional items are put onto my plate. In order to deal with this, often I approach my manager etc. and discuss what needs to come first. Making an item list is the best solution I have, and ultimately accepting that I can't get it ALL done (which is hard). I also need healthy amounts of interaction during the day (no "head-phones-in" type of job for me, at least not all the time...perhaps it was just my job at the time as an analyst where I learned I get too caught up in the details and can't see the big picture sometimes!).

My "problem," if you want to call it that, is that I usually work beyond the hours since I feel the need to get it all done no matter what time it is. This works to my benefit and is no issue, as long as I'm not being taken advantage of (which has happened...)

Seeking a job that aligns more with my interests and my natural abilities!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Data Analyst for an election's vendor. We provide online absentee services for government jurisdictions (counties and states).

I was a political science major in college. Towards the end of my senior year I was scanning the want ads in my college's newspaper and saw my company looking for political science interns. Someone was looking for an individual with my background and was willing to pay me! No seconds thoughts; I leaped at the opportunity! I worked hard, got into the technical side of the company and was able to become a full time and salaried employee within four months.

I like my job, sure! I telecommute full time (that rules!), have learned invaluable technical skills and also learned a ton about how elections work in the United States. Plus, my bosses/coworkers are wonderful. The salary isn't too bad either.

Our systems are very complex, and we function on strict legal deadlines. Nothing is more stressful than missing a small detail and having a customer start chewing you out about it. A huge part of this job is attention to detail and being meticulous. Just typing this out now and thinking about me forgetting to input a setting in the correct manner for a customer.. UGH! It's like my worst nightmare. While no where near as dramatic, it reminds me of a commercial jet getting ready to take off. A pilot has a long check list to complete before he can leave the ground. Same goes for me.

I am salaried so.... We don't technically have overtime. When we have big projects I sometimes work beyond the typical 9 to 5. That's alright most of the time since it isn't typical. Generally when this happens I feel "productive" and a big part of my team.

I want to learn some computer languages (C# in particular) so I can be more versatile to the company. I will probably spend a few years with my company as I build my technical skills. Then hopefully I can land a job at a larger corporation in the area. Maybe Microsoft, Amazon or etc.

·
Registered
710 Posts
What I do:
I've always worked service jobs.
I am a servant.

My reason to do this work:
I have no degree....and if I did...it wouldn't get me a decent job because it'd be in something stupid ....
I'm only good at all the things that don't matter.

What stresses me out the most:
If I speak to a guest, I expect an answer to what I say....none of this
Me -"Hello, Welcome to
guest-"WATER!"

It's just mean....we are instructed to approach you all a certain way. I apologize for not simply walking up and asking for your drink order.
Towards the end of the day when I've already had all the social interaction I can take....I enjoy these people....it's weird.

Me working overtime:
I truly care for certain managers I work with...I will support them if they need someone.

Future:
I'll be leaving my current for another very soon.... more pay less responsibility type of thing...
I'll have more opportunities to travel, I'm very excited about it...Which is why I chose to respond. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
What do you do for a living? I am currently employed in the insurance department of a major charity.

What were your reasons to choose this work, and what do you like about it? I wanted something which was worthwhile and as I have connections with this organisation it seems to be a good fit. Have been working here over a decade now. I particularly like talking to people who work in different roles, finding out what they do and helping them.

Do you have something which stresses you out the most? (what is it and how do you handle it?) There are three main areas that I have problems with:
1) Commuting (travelling on overcrowded public transport)
2) Internal politics that get in the way of actually helping people
3) Only being involved in administration (i.e., pushing paper rather than rolling up my sleeves and doing something more practical). Perhaps that's why I do so much voluntary work in the evenings...

I tend not to do so much overtime (due to my other voluntary commitments) but if a work job needs to be done by a particular time I will cheerfully work lunchtimes or an extra hour in the evenings just to ensure the job gets done.

I would like to make one further change in job - possibly something closer to home so that I don't have to commute.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts