Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't give you guys enough credit, really I don't. INFJs are truly incredible, probably the wisest of all 16 types. The fact that INFPs (according to my poll) choose YOU guys as SOs more than anyone else is really telling to me, not to mention the fact that every time I meet one of you guys in person, I'm drawn to you like a magnet.

If only there were more INFJ males; single, and living somewhere within the 3,000 mile vicinity of Alaska...le sigh.

I digress, I just want to express my appreciation for your incredible wisdom and for being such kind, gentle understanding creatures. Also, thank you for not being a bunch of arrogant assholes even though you're clearly smarter than everyone else. Not once has an INFJ ever tried to blow smoke up my ass. You're as honest and sincere as INFPs but without all the indulgent self-pity. You're as intelligent and direct as an INTJ without being an emotional refigerator. You're as organized and selfess as an ISFJ and there is an air of mystery about you. My mother is an INFJ and if I could sum her up in one word it would be selfless. Yup, selfless.

Thank you INFJs

and please, if you're male and single....eh, nevermind.

What do you guys think? Do we INFPs annoy you or are we okay in your book?

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
This is why INFPs are awesome. Well, one of many reasons. Peeking in over at the INFP subforum, you'd think they were all emos or something, lol. But you can be so sweet, it's ridiculous! If only that focus was shifted inwards to yourselves some.

My mother's an INFP and I'd say we get along really well and manage to annoy each other at the same time. It's a good give and take, I suppose. But she's never been one to shy away from letting me know she loves me, or praising whatever embellished qualities about me she adores. But maybe that's just a thing most mothers do, I dunno. *shrug* I think it probably annoys her some that I don't really do that in return. To me, "I love you, Mom" is sort of a "duh" thing to say. Of course I do.

Another friend of mine, an INFP guy, does similar things. He's always praising his friends. "I find you to be awesome, and I shall declare it to the world!" sort of thing. I didn't even realize he was an I until he told me. Always thought of him as an E. He always finds a way to make people around him feel special and loved.

I don't really even get phased by the INFP embellishments anymore, lol. It really is sweet n all, but it's par for the course. Maybe that's an Fi thing though. You adore someone, you know you adore them, and so you can't help but express that. I dunno. I have Fe. I'm more reactive and less proactive in that regard.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One time I made a silly thread like this and it ended up getting me an actual boyfriend.

Still together 15 months later.

You never know.
Really? Long distance? That's amazing! I hear most couples these days originally met online so I guess that's not too unusual.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is why INFPs are awesome. Well, one of many reasons. Peeking in over at the INFP subforum, you'd think they were all emos or something, lol. But you can be so sweet, it's ridiculous! If only that focus was shifted inwards to yourselves some.

My mother's an INFP and I'd say we get along really well and manage to annoy each other at the same time. It's a good give and take, I suppose. But she's never been one to shy away from letting me know she loves me, or praising whatever embellished qualities about me she adores. But maybe that's just a thing most mothers do, I dunno. *shrug* I think it probably annoys her some that I don't really do that in return. To me, "I love you, Mom" is sort of a "duh" thing to say. Of course I do.

Another friend of mine, an INFP guy, does similar things. He's always praising his friends. "I find you to be awesome, and I shall declare it to the world!" sort of thing. I didn't even realize he was an I until he told me. Always thought of him as an E. He always finds a way to make people around him feel special and loved.

I don't really even get phased by the INFP embellishments anymore, lol. It really is sweet n all, but it's par for the course. Maybe that's an Fi thing though. You adore someone, you know you adore them, and so you can't help but express that. I dunno. I have Fe. I'm more reactive and less proactive in that regard.
Is Fe reactive? I didn't know that, I always thought Fe was more of the "singing people's praises" sort of thing? I do tend to do that, I know it. It's a really sincere thing, though. I don't do it to invoke any sort of reaction, necessarily. I'm just viscerally expressing how I truly feel. Sometimes I just smile at people or chuckle to myself while observing them because I'm thinking "your personality is so different from mine and I find that really amusing/great."

I'll give you an example of something cute/amusing that INFJs do. I love a pissed off INFJ because you guys are so passive aggressive (or aggressively passive?) that you do very subtle things to get back at people. My mother pulls pranks and will hide my dad's things and watch him stress out trying to find it. She's also a practical jokester, taping people's pens to their desks at work and applying 'kick me' signs and everything. One time she even sewed someone's sleeping bag shut. Another time, she put icey hot in her brother's boxers and folded them neatly back into the drawer. As an INFP, I feel like I'm not even smart or controlled enough to pull off something like that. I don't think it would even cross my mind, which is why I smile and laugh to myself while watching you guys do it. I love blunt people too. Blunt people who were born without a filter between the brain and the mouth are very entertaining so long as the bluntness isn't directed at me.

Reactions: espyr and Pier 56

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Extroverted feeling is just that, extroverted. You know how Te requires other people to bounce ideas off of? It's a similar thing with Fe. When someone's happy, we react to it. When someone's sad, we react to it. That sort of thing. When no one's around to react to, we're pretty neutral. At least, I am. But I'm not Fe dom either, obviously.

If I'm encouraging someone, or giving them a compliment, it's because I feel they happen to need it at the time. Maybe they're feeling particularly down, or maybe I just haven't seen them in awhile so I'd like them to know I still appreciate them. But the focus is on them in some way.

I've noticed INFPs will just praise someone they adore simply because they adore them. Or, you know, rebel against someone they're not particularly fond of too, lol. My mom's just as great at venting to me about someone she's not fond of as she is of praising me.

"Hey, Mom. How are you?"

Forty-five minutes later, I have an entire book's worth of an answer, lol.

How am I doing though? "I'm fine." ;o)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
GoodOldDreamer:2419677 said:
"Hey, Mom. How are you?"

Oh-so-accurate. This amuses me a lot in terms of myself/my mother on the one hand and my boyfriend on the other.

I just have to share that this thread title made me snicker a little because there is no one my kind, considerate, easygoing INFJ boyfriend dislikes more than my INFP mother and he doesn't...dislike people. As a rule. Ever. Almost on principle. With that said, though... she's kind of one-of-a-kind and I'm sure he'd like other INFPs more since he's basically coocoo for cocoa puffs when it comes to Fi feelings escaping.

But I agree completely, @rshortman, even if I'm not an INFP. INFJs are some of the wisest, kindest, gentlest, most understanding, most honest, sincerest, most intelligent, most direct, most organised, most selfless... basically just most amazing in every way imaginable people I've ever met. And they do not get enough credit, especially the men. Also, LOL at INTJs being emotional refrigerators, that was very clever :tongue:

·
Registered
361 Posts
hmmm... I don't know that I've met many female INFPs in my life. This fact has actually made me quite sad. @rshortman I would greatly appreciate if you turned on your INFP bat signal. Thank you in advance.

What I do know is that my older brother is an INFP and is beyond hilarious. He's really in touch with who he is as a person and I've always appreciated and admired that. I will admit that he is borderline out of his mind (haha) but I do so love that about him.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'll give you an example of something cute/amusing that INFJs do. I love a pissed off INFJ because you guys are so passive aggressive (or aggressively passive?) that you do very subtle things to get back at people.
oh god this. sometimes I wish someone would piss me off just so I could do some stuff. I love doing it. And the practical jokes to.

Take a wireless mouse, plug the wireless receiver dongle into the back of someones computer, out of sight. While the person is working on the computer, you would have the wireless mouse with you and could move it and randomly click to freak them out. If you are particularly cheeky, you can map the mouse buttons to various functions (opening Internet Explorer or whatever) and do that ever so often. Thats not so much passive/aggressive but is hilarious.

Also wait for the powdered coffee creamer to run low (maybe enough for just a few cups), and sprinkle a little salt on it. This way I dont ruin a whole container and still get lolz. I have also learned that screwing with someones coffee is like insulting their religion.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
I remember back when we had just gotten a new family vehicle that happened to have one of those panic buttons on the key chain thing. I had the keys when my mom was out there at the car, cleaning it out. So I waited for just the right time and set the panic button off. Lights started flashing, horn started honking, and my mom thought she broke the car, lol.

Good times.

It was even better because my mom came storming into the house, obviously thinking I had pulled a prank on her, but I was practically on the other end from the garage. Thank goodness those key chain things work from a distance, lol. All I said was "How could I have done it? I'm all the way over here." I had her going with that for awhile until I tried the prank a few more times and she finally caught on, heh.

This was all in good fun though. I'm really not that much of a prankster. In fact, it's my mom, the INFP, who loves to pull pranks. That's why I knew she'd be okay with it. I literally can't be around her anywhere around April Fools day. Like the whole week I have to be away or she'll pull something. >_>

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh-so-accurate. This amuses me a lot in terms of myself/my mother on the one hand and my boyfriend on the other.

I just have to share that this thread title made me snicker a little because there is no one my kind, considerate, easygoing INFJ boyfriend dislikes more than my INFP mother and he doesn't...dislike people. As a rule. Ever. Almost on principle. With that said, though... she's kind of one-of-a-kind and I'm sure he'd like other INFPs more since he's basically coocoo for cocoa puffs when it comes to Fi feelings escaping.

But I agree completely, @rshortman, even if I'm not an INFP. INFJs are some of the wisest, kindest, gentlest, most understanding, most honest, sincerest, most intelligent, most direct, most organised, most selfless... basically just most amazing in every way imaginable people I've ever met. And they do not get enough credit, especially the men. Also, LOL at INTJs being emotional refrigerators, that was very clever :tongue:
Oh don't get me wrong, I LOVE INTJs! lol, emotional refigeration does not bother me, really. I find it endearing similarly the way an ENFP would. I wonder what it is about your INFP mother that your INFJ bf dislikes so much? I see INFJs as being fairly altruistic and INFPs even more so I can't imagine what an INFP would do to so anger an INFJ except maybe just be so ridiculously Fi to the point of narcisissm but I would not be so bold as to suggest that your mother is a narcissist. You have any idea? I'm curious about that.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
My best friend, who initially tested as an ISFP, recently told me he tests now as an INFP. As such, I'll just say he's an IXFP, and regardless of the 'S' or 'N', either would make him Fi-dom, right? That being said, he and I get along very well. He's one person who understands and appreciates my core, my heart, my spirit. I can share far-out thoughts and feelings with him that I don't with others because I figure others will find me too kooky and irrational. With him, I don't have to hide those other aspects of my being. He doesn't write me off or underestimate me; instead, he reminds me to see the silver lining and love even more when I want to give up and be cynical and mopey. Do you know how amazing this is? Especially for a withdrawn, reclusive sort like me? It is freeing and inspiring. It is better than all the most scrumptious cupcakes and fresh made coffee in the world. I wouldn't say one type is the best for another type, but I will say my particular IXFP best friend is awesome and I hope to never live a day without him in it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Extroverted feeling is just that, extroverted. You know how Te requires other people to bounce ideas off of? It's a similar thing with Fe. When someone's happy, we react to it. When someone's sad, we react to it. That sort of thing. When no one's around to react to, we're pretty neutral. At least, I am. But I'm not Fe dom either, obviously.

If I'm encouraging someone, or giving them a compliment, it's because I feel they happen to need it at the time. Maybe they're feeling particularly down, or maybe I just haven't seen them in awhile so I'd like them to know I still appreciate them. But the focus is on them in some way.

I've noticed INFPs will just praise someone they adore simply because they adore them. Or, you know, rebel against someone they're not particularly fond of too, lol. My mom's just as great at venting to me about someone she's not fond of as she is of praising me.

"Hey, Mom. How are you?"

Wow, consider me educated now! Maybe I just don't know enough about functions. Is it that everyone uses all functions at one time or another or does your personality mean you only use one function and not the other? For example, can an INFJ only use Ni and not Ne or is he/she capable of using both, though one might be preferred over the other?

The reason I ask is that I could swear that I have some Ni function. I test as an INFJ about half of the time though I know subjectively I am a holistically well-defined INFP, very classic INFP in a lot of ways. Nevertheless, I have some weird quirks that don't make any sense for an INFP such as a knack for designing efficient systems. I'm clearly very Fi and in a very DOM Fi but I swear my intuition is not relegated to just Ne but includes Ni as well. Is that possible?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Oh don't get me wrong, I LOVE INTJs! lol, emotional refigeration does not bother me, really. I find it endearing similarly the way an ENFP would. I wonder what it is about your INFP mother that your INFJ bf dislikes so much? I see INFJs as being fairly altruistic and INFPs even more so I can't imagine what an INFP would do to so anger an INFJ except maybe just be so ridiculously Fi to the point of narcisissm but I would not be so bold as to suggest that your mother is a narcissist. You have any idea? I'm curious about that.
Oh, it's not a fatal character flaw on her part by any means. She and I were just going through a bit of a rough patch when he and I started dating and again when he met her and so he got a little overprotective. He really doesn't like people who make me cry, haha. I'm pretty sure if they had met at a different time they would have gotten along fine... he just doesn't get to spend a lot of time with her because she doesn't live here. I'm pretty sure that the more he sees us positively interact the more he'll warm up to her. She's generally a really nice person when I'm not bringing out the worst in her :tongue:

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Really? Long distance? That's amazing! I hear most couples these days originally met online so I guess that's not too unusual.
Haha, yeah. We were long distance for the first eight months, then he moved here. It was all a complete and total accident and not at all my intention. But gifts come in strange wrapping sometimes...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, it's not a fatal character flaw on her part by any means. She and I were just going through a bit of a rough patch when he and I started dating and again when he met her and so he got a little overprotective. He really doesn't like people who make me cry, haha. I'm pretty sure if they had met at a different time they would have gotten along fine... he just doesn't get to spend a lot of time with her because she doesn't live here. I'm pretty sure that the more he sees us positively interact the more he'll warm up to her. She's generally a really nice person when I'm not bringing out the worst in her :tongue:
I see, well yes INFJs are very protective and you're lucky to have him. It sounds like he really loves you, how nice! Makes me warm and fuzzy inside :p I have never seen your interactions with your mother but I know first hand being with INTJs and around them that there is a communication filter which goes Ni-Te-Fi-Ne. It's extremely hard to translate Ni and Fi. It's tragic, really because INFPs and INTJs actually care about the same things but tend to say the same things using different languages. How does an INFP manage to make her INTJ cry? I am really interested in understanding that. I have often wondered how I could possibly parent an INTJ child and give them everything they need when my default methods prove to be useless to an INTJ?

Reactions: Chronicles
1 - 20 of 77 Posts