Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody has had any trouble blocking someone's emotion's or energy. I am normally very good at doing so but I am finding it very difficult to do so with a particular person. Sometimes I forget they are not my emotion's at first. Is there a different feel in everybody's else's vibe if so is this person's to similar as mine or is there emotion's to strong in them? As anybody ever picked up someone else's confusion?

·
Registered
INFJ Daydream Believer, Dancing Queen, Mom
8,463 Posts
I have found that if someone is feeling particularly strong emotions then I can always physically feel them. There have been times when I've had to take a breath and almost mentally separate myself from the situation to get my reactions to their emotions under control. But, for the people I know really well, I always know what they are feeling and usually why they feel that way.

On a side note: I can read my ENFP best friend's emotions from across town. It kinda freaks her out at times, but she loves me to pieces anyway!:tongue:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I was wondering if anybody has had any trouble blocking someone's emotion's or energy. I am normally very good at doing so but I am finding it very difficult to do so with a particular person. Sometimes I forget they are not my emotion's at first. Is there a different feel in everybody's else's vibe if so is this person's to similar as mine or is there emotion's to strong in them? As anybody ever picked up someone else's confusion?
In all seriousness it's your special power. Every type has one. It's just so powerful that is has a drawback.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
When I am sad my best friend (infj) is sad. When I am happy he is happy. Not quite but.... to a large degree the people he is with effect his moods.... it's confusing though... cause he definitely has his own emotions independent of this..... i guess you guys are just that good at sympathy ;). But I dunno.... I do this as well I think..... I can't block of anyone's emotions for the most part unless I leave ...or I block off my own. I dunno what I am talking about. This paragraph has no point. Sawy. <3

·
Registered
140 Posts
I can rarely block out others' emotions completely. Walking into a room people are in is pretty much walking into a wall of emotions for me. Strangers' emotions are easier to deal with only because they leave less of an aftertaste. People I know pretty well, their emotions stick with me for a while. And my family? I'm still trying to deal with the emotions I picked up from them as a child. So I have almost no control over my superpower. Which is why I'm currently in my fortress of solitude learning to control it. ^_^

ETA: Oh, and yeah, I had a lot of trouble learning to tell my emotions apart from others'. Compared to blocking others out, learning that was easy.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Its difficult for me to block out other people's emotions. I pick up on them easily even if nothing is verbally expressed. I will say that people that are very very sensitive (with typically a dominant Fe) and have really intense emotions overwhelm me. It really stressed me out and wears me down to where I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of emotions and I have to withdraw for air.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I understand exactly what you mean =) I have the same problem, I get effected by others emotions and feelings very, very, very easy.. I can get depressed by it if I don't know or are not aware of the fact that this is something my f.ex friend are feeling, NOT me :happy:
- Maybe you know this person very well and care about him/her? I get affected by my beloved once feeling very easy.. I know them so well..
- Or it could be that this person has very strong feelings/emotions? as you said..
I don't know, it could be several reasons for this.. maybe you could talk to this person and ask if anything is wrong.. Maybe he/she needs to talk : )

Remember to protect yourself, so you don't get confused, sad and things like that :happy: Good luck!

·
Registered
930 Posts
yes, I have gone through this before and am going through it right now a person who I cannot avoid. My plan is to take good care of myself physically (plenty of sleep, healthy food, exercise) and I am going to visualize being surrounded by a white, protective light before having to interact with him. Also, sharing very little with this person & not letting myself be vulnerable with him. If it were at all possible, I would avoid him completely until I felt stronger.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I was at a restaurant about a week ago that I normally love. It wasn't so great this time around. Our waiter was in a pissy mood due to frustrations with the guy he was training. The bartender wasn't having such a great day either. There was enough negative emotion in the room that my stomach became upset and I wasn't able to finish eating. I also began feeling claustraphobic. I had to get out of there ASAP. Wouldn't it be nice to turn that off. If you figure it out, be sure to let me know. I might leave my house more often then...perhaps I just need to find a happy place.

Reactions: MEM1976

·
Registered
290 Posts
Definitely find it difficult to block someone's emotions. In general, it's hard because I empathize so much. But it's not just that. If I'm surrounded by negative people/a negative work situation, eventually I feel beaten down. I may not absorb it, per se, but I do react. There are some people I have problems shutting off to, so I do - to an extent - ride their emotional rollercoasters.

With practice and withdrawal, I can shut it off a bit. But I choose my environments and company much more carefully the older I get, because no amount of self control can seem to keep me from being like a sponge absorbing the general atmosphere.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hmmm, I do find it difficult to block someones emotions, even when I want to, and if I do manage to block them they always hit me later on....

I also find it very disheartening when you feel someones pain so much for them to just tell you that you don't understand.... It makes me cry sometimes...

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I usually try to keep other people emotion's as a vibe instead of letting their emotion's become mine. When they have such strong one's it is hard usually it feel's like a little bug's crawling all over me or a virus trying to get in from a cut with the occasional onslaught. As far as telling other people about their emotional stand point by the time I get done talking to them about it they usually understand that I know what they are going through. I had this one guy that would beg me to do so. It depends on how you let them know sometimes it's like teaching algebra to a 4yr old you have to start with arithmetic first. It does get confusing for us that pick up people's emotion's so easy.

Reactions: Female INFJ

·
Banned
588 Posts
this is probably why i seek out solitude so much... whenever I'm around someone, I'm always worrying about them, feeling out their "vibe" as you guys said.

I've never been able to be as active as other people, and I feel like this is the reason why. Like, I feel like I'm always taking in too much information, far more than other people. It helps me notice things, but I also tire more easily...

I tried to act like an extravert for a year, and I was okay for a while. And then everything crashed down and I'm still recovering from the effects. I actually became physically ill. Kinda strange.

Perhaps this is common sense, but if it doesn't feel right, we probably shouldn't do it...

·
Registered
258 Posts
I tried to act like an extravert for a year, and I was okay for a while. And then everything crashed down and I'm still recovering from the effects. I actually became physically ill. Kinda strange.
I did the exact same thing, I became physically ill too... everything just became "too much"..

·
Registered
341 Posts

Perhaps this is common sense, but if it doesn't feel right, we probably shouldn't do it...
I tried being an ENFP for a day..... I gave up after a few hours though: it was hard, I hurt peoples feeling as I shared my thoughts and feelings more openly and trying to be a P i didn't think about what i was saying so much, I got tired out and openly rebelled against things..... It's not a good idea to try be another type..... though I was just curious =P

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have great difficulty blocking other people's emotions, even actors on TV and films. I know, its pathetic! I feel what they are feelng, even when I know its not real. I am there, in their body, in that situation. This bloody empathy gene!

I am great in a crisis, because I can see what needs to be done and keep a level head to do it, but afterwards, a couple of days afterwards, it hits me - WHAM! My world caves in on me and I get so overloaded it feels like my brain is going to explode. Sounds melodramatic, but its true. Its hard to filter out stimuli. By the end of the day, especially if am also dealing with someone else's emotional problems, I just feel so overstimulated I want to rip my head off and have a break from it for a while. :unsure:

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the help I guess i should of called this forum confused under the influence of other people's emotions. Which is why I have been writing kinda odd. I haven't had to deal with being confused for a long time. My thoughts are ramped enough as it is. If I have made any sense to anybody I will be surprised.
:happy:

·
Registered
69 Posts
It is very hard for me to do so. It gets harder as I get older. Unfortunately I work in a environment where many of the patrons have a LOT of addictions. So at times the hopelessness or negativity can be overwhelming. On the other hand, when I am in a intellectually stimulating class or around people that love me and act like it; bliss.

·
Banned
588 Posts
Thanks for all the help I guess i should of called this forum confused under the influence of other people's emotions. Which is why I have been writing kinda odd. I haven't had to deal with being confused for a long time. My thoughts are ramped enough as it is. If I have made any sense to anybody I will be surprised.
:happy:

I've been keeping a journal for a long time, just to write about stuff and get it out there. Sometimes that helps straigten it out in my mind.

You're probably getting too much input and you're not able to process it quickly enough which is why everything seems rambly. I used to write a lot like you. I talk really confusedly when I get tired, it's really funny.

If it gives you any hope, for me at least, it's been getting better as I've gotten older. I don't know if this is a matter of knowing my limits and how to deal with myself or have a better conceptual model for how the world works... when I was a teen I was always confused as hell, and that was hard.

Heh. *shrugs*

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.