Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read about the Se Grip and I definitely struggle with this. 95% of the time. I was wondering if any INFJ's out there had any advice for avoiding the grip, what to do when in the grip, or even if you struggle with it as well?

My main areas of concern are "over indulgence in physical sensations" (I tend to binge eat on chocolate....) and "obsession over external data" (I will hunt and hunt for that one fact that is going to make everything make sense....)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Ni can feel unsafe because it is not accepted, even by us.
Practising swimming safely in its waters can stop us from trying to control or "consume" ourselves in external reality.
We don't have to apologise to external reality, or anything like that.
I feel that we try and consume ourselves in external reality because we are afraid as other people may think we may become lost in Ni.
In reality, however, Ni is my home. I do not actually want to lose myself in external reality, even if it is hard to know what basis I have for trusting Ni is okay, really.
Feeling accepted there is the only way I know how of reconciling myself to external reality.
I always remember a story from an Australian actor William McInnes. He said how his father would just say to him, you know what? you're alright, kid.
And I feel that is exactly we just need to hold our Ni IN BALANCE, not feel that we need to forget it or anything like that.
Our bodies and the universe find their balance when we allow them to. Ni is no different. But sometimes we overcompensate, I think, feeling we would need to "remember" we belong to physical reality. Yes, we do, but we already knew that.
In summary I would say to other INFJs give yourself permission to hold your primary and secondary perceiving functions IN BALANCE.
Because of course, if we do not give ourselves that internal permission, our frustration will express itself some other way.

These are just some thoughts, not sure how much of it really applies to the heart of what you are asking.
Hope you would find something in there you can channel to your experience - which of course is not the same as mine.
I've just kind of rattled off some thoughts as they occurred to me, so feel free to throw down again on the ground any or all of what you know does not apply to you and your situation.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I recently read about the Se Grip and I definitely struggle with this. 95% of the time. I was wondering if any INFJ's out there had any advice for avoiding the grip, what to do when in the grip, or even if you struggle with it as well?

My main areas of concern are "over indulgence in physical sensations" (I tend to binge eat on chocolate....) and "obsession over external data" (I will hunt and hunt for that one fact that is going to make everything make sense....)
I have the same issue too. It's addiction to spicy food here. Can't seem to control my urges at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have to hold myself accountable when I need to change my behaviour. Recently I had a health scare and was diagnosed with acid reflux, so I use a food diary to make myself aware of how I need to manage my eating habits. I won't be obnoxious and say it's easy, but it would be a lot harder to make myself eat less and eat better foods if I hadn't started keeping the diary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts