Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think a lot of people have a darker sense of humor than they let on. INFJs just have a habit of showing it when they are comfortable with someone. It's like "Hey, I'm relaxed around you... wanna hear a dead body joke? Abra cadaver!"

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
i have a very dark and morbid sense of humor, its awesome.
me too and people around me hate it

this one girl complimented my shirt in the supermarket, I said "thank you my grandfather was buried in it", she backed away slowly :sad::frustrating::frustrating::frustrating::frustrating::frustrating:

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I don't know that this is MBTI type-related, but there's a dark streak in my sense of humor for sure.

I generally don't give voice to it in sensitive situations. But there was this one time I was talking with a friend/co-worker whose father was dying of cancer. She was trying to figure out what to get him for his uncoming birthday. I opened my mouth, realized what I was about to say and shut it. She began pestering me to tell her what I had been about to say. I refused multiple times but she finally wore me down. I said, "Morphine." Thankfully, she started laughing.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I can see it being function related, Ni makes some morbid connections, Fe doesn't allow us to express these morbid connections in most situations.

End result, INFJs have a hidden dark sense of humour.

·
Registered
800 Posts
@Dewymorning Absolutely!

I always say there's nothing that can't be joked about. "In your face" jokes and "anti-jokes" are like a breath of fresh air most of the time. Meh I can't think of anything right now. I guess I'll just go out and find inspiration in homeless people and TV.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey everyone go get hit by a bus or do heroin ok?

Thanks!

Yeah...I tend to compartmentalize my sociopathic dictator into one corner of my mind, starved of any real resources. Its a little North Korea for me to fuck with.

Most people describe me as loving, sweet, nice, sincere, happy, cute...blah blah. And they are right!

But when I really love someone, they usually love the rambling psychopath that is in me that I hide from the rest of the world.

I just don't buy that any one type is more prone to a shadow than any other though. We all have it in us. We all dance around a fire at night some times.

But buy someone flowers once in a while because that's really nice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love dark humor. Usually jokes that are messed up like racism, politics, sexist, and such I find funny. They remind at times to not take life too seriously.
I can kinda understand when its a defense mechanism.
Like, especially when you indentify with a group that is being institutionally oppressed (being someone who is not male or not white or not heterosexual or not cisgender etc...)

However, if someone's humour is offensive and yet they can't deal with people being offended - if they can't deal with people TELLING them that it is offensive...then their humour is about enforcing oppression.

I personally don't find racist, sexist, homophobic, etc jokes to be funny at all. To me, the people who disguise their ignorance, bigotry and meaness as 'humour' with that kind of bullshit tells me that they have no humour. Like, if that is all they ever joke about.
Like my boss. White gay male, who spent the goddamn days mocking 2 different groups:
- Gay people. An indicator of his internalised oppression and/or a dealing mechanism?
- Asian, indian and african accents and mannerisms. Mocking them right in front of me.

Good ol' racism being recycled around like that shit is fresh or witty or something.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love dark jokes, especially racists/stereotypical jokes.
Damn. I know you intuitives love reasons for serious critical self-reflection so:
"To everyone who has mocked an accent/dialogue that wasn’t their own in a funny manner.
Stop. This shit ain’t cute.

But it’s a joke!

Exactly! It’s a joke. People speaking “ebonics”/AAVE to you is a joke. Latino people with accents is a joke. Chinese people speaking Chinese is a joke to you. And you don’t take us seriously. You and your friend joke about it. Your friend happens to joke about it with your supervisor. And that supervisor happens to be interviewing to fill a position. And one of the applicants happens to have a heavy Vietnamese accent. They obviously don’t get the position, even though they have years of experience, degrees, and credible/relevant reference. They don’t get the job cause who would take them seriously?

So yeah, when you’re saying your fucking offensive fake Chinese, your disgusting throat grunting impersonation of Arabic, you are directly harming someone’s livelihood. Yes you. Cause you think their fucking identity is a joke."

·
Registered
123 Posts
I love dark humor! Also sarcasm, situational humor, exaggeration and puns. Recently I've been into combining morbid humor / political incorrectness with a calm, natural tone of voice. Something like: "Oh, hiiii guys! There you are! Where have you been? Oh, all right. So, I have some pie here. This odd... color... here is cyanide, you don't have to worry about it. But should it happen that it doesn't kill you, I have more in the fridge. The spoons and plates are here, help yourself!"

·
Registered
349 Posts
I love dark humor! Also sarcasm, situational humor, exaggeration and puns.
I love exaggeration! My ex's primary school friend was a compulsive liar with a twist of exaggeration.

Listen.
He claimed his friends, that once when walking down the street with his mom, his mom accidentally pushed him, and the power of the push set him off to the top of the near-by fir tree.

He also told everybody, that once when he was jumping on his parents water bed, the mattress broke, and he had to swim out of the bedroom.

I fucking love that kid. Wish I knew him.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I can kinda understand when its a defense mechanism.
Like, especially when you indentify with a group that is being institutionally oppressed (being someone who is not male or not white or not heterosexual or not cisgender etc...)

However, if someone's humour is offensive and yet they can't deal with people being offended - if they can't deal with people TELLING them that it is offensive...then their humour is about enforcing oppression.

I personally don't find racist, sexist, homophobic, etc jokes to be funny at all. To me, the people who disguise their ignorance, bigotry and meaness as 'humour' with that kind of bullshit tells me that they have no humour. Like, if that is all they ever joke about.
Like my boss. White gay male, who spent the goddamn days mocking 2 different groups:
- Gay people. An indicator of his internalised oppression and/or a dealing mechanism?
- Asian, indian and african accents and mannerisms. Mocking them right in front of me.

Good ol' racism being recycled around like that shit is fresh or witty or something.
I don't see it like that at all. Yeah their are some who clearly don't like homosexuals, other races, beliefs etc. But others do it out of comic relief. I laugh at jokes about whites, blacks anything really. Dave Cook did a really good one on atheism that I thought was funny. Then Louis c.k. does ones on Christianity all the time. I feel jokes about how that person feels towards something are great or a tragic experience that they put a funny spin to it. Might just be my odd taste on humor, I guess to each their own.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts