Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's been a thread or two on enneagram types, but I specifically wanted to make one for INFJs who are also of the Enneagram 1 type. (Inspired from the INTJ thread). I'm interested in hearing from you guys and interested in knowing a bit more about those with this specific combination.

For example, how have your interactions in relationships been (friendships, romantic, family)...? How do you function under stress...? What types do you relate with most? get along with most? what types of people are you most comfortable with...? What kind of careers have you pursued? What were some major things you had to overcome in life?

I would love to hear a bit more from any INFJ Enneagram 1s... whether it's those questions above, or anything you want to talk about.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm a 1w2 and this seems to be always in clash with the introverted side of myself. 1s are active people and when combined with a 2 wing it is more pronounced. I'm interested in anything that causes reform especially on a social level (I'm a main SO), I like politics but hate politicians :crazy: and morals are my highest standards (everything is filed according to them) including the most important ideals fairness and justice.

I get along with a variety of people but they are always on an arm's distance. Being a 1w2 affection is usually showed in action oriented things and offering help.

It is said that when a 1 is stressed they behave more like 4 and I have experienced that. I'm not sure if it is being an INFJ or having a 4 in my tritype but under stress there is a need to deal with all issues by analyzing my emotions but if not under stress I usually deal with things in a more rational and objective way.

In general I don't mind any type and would get along with anyone who I would classify as "good" which basically means a person who doesn't hurt others intentionally.

I went into the field of education because I believe it is one of the main paths to achieve social reform.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I know there's been a thread or two on enneagram types, but I specifically wanted to make one for INFJs who are also of the Enneagram 1 type. (Inspired from the INTJ thread). I'm interested in hearing from you guys and interested in knowing a bit more about those with this specific combination.

For example, how have your interactions in relationships been (friendships, romantic, family)...? How do you function under stress...? What types do you relate with most? get along with most? what types of people are you most comfortable with...? What kind of careers have you pursued? What were some major things you had to overcome in life?

I would love to hear a bit more from any INFJ Enneagram 1s... whether it's those questions above, or anything you want to talk about.
Well.. "Personality Type" is how I function in the world... "Enneagram" would be how I am motivated.

So, my "motive" is based on:
Basic Fear: Of being corrupt/evil, defective
Basic Desire: To be good, to have integrity, to be balanced

It requires alot of self-checking. I'm not sure how it effects those around me because it is geared torwards self and not others. (Does that make sense?)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
^ Oh I forgot the self-critic! Yes it is constantly self-checking. It is always active reviewing actions and thoughts.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was thinking last night about this. I would guess that I, as most people do," judge others as I judge myself" and that would effect my family and those around me.

That has been something I have been mastering for some years now. I had to learn to "lighten up on myself" so that it would have a healthy ripple effect. And to balance my intuition with my extroverted feeling because it always has others "best interests" at heart. -- It keeps me grounded.

Somethings that I "cannot seem to change" would be my getting quite upset with rude, mean, dishonest behavior. For me it just does not follow the "Do no harm Rule." With that said though, I do ask my family and friends to hold me just as accountable. :wink:

I have always enjoyed the "Personal Growth" advice for this type:

■ Learn to relax.
■ You have a lot to teach others and are probably a good teacher, but do not expect others to change immediately.
■ It is easy for you to work yourself up into a lather about the wrongdoings of others.
■ It is important for you to get in touch with your feelings, particularly your unconscious impulses.
■ Your Achilles' heel is your self-righteous anger.

If I master these... I feel like I could move mountains! (One day, that is my goal.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
MBTI INFJ Enneagram Perfectionist

I used to act like a four when under stress. But I am a One INFJ. My favourite type is a healthy !NFP or a healthy INTJ. I like people who are a little unconventional but otherwise smart and creative. Will post more later . . .

·
Registered
545 Posts
If the healthier state of a 1 is moving toward a 7, then I'm feeling reasonably on track and reasonably healthy.

As a 1, I can and have been immensely self-critical. I've experienced anger at the violation of my principles, or at myself when I've failed to live up to my own expectations. I've spent a lot of time writing essays outlining my principles, perceived faults in the world and humanity, and potential ways to make it better. This was the case particularly as a teenager, and even as an adult it can be something I ruminate on a great deal. Though as an adult, I've noticed that my ability to handle my negative emotions is far better.

My tri-type has 5w6, and I feel this has a great deal of influence as it motivates me to be as informed by reality as possible as I craft and perfect my principles. I don't think it's a worthwhile endeavor to speculate on systems and people, without understanding their biological/psychological properties/propensities/limitations. Some of the things we've discovered about human beings has been counter-intuitive.

The 5 provides the motivation to learn and the access to "endless wonder', and I do experience that. The more I learn about the world and how it works, the more that vast complexity astounds me and fills me with a sense of excitement (as I mentioned, heading toward the enthusiasm of 7). The 2 softens the harshness that might result from 1+5. My principles are not there for tyranny or self-repression, they exist because I'm always concerned about how to improve everyone's welfare. The Fe process of creating harmony and ensuring that everyone feels good, my 1-5-2 takes this to the next level. 1w9 - attempt to establish perfect ideals and live up to them 5w6 - never-ending research to ensure those ideals are informed by reality and evolve appropriately with new information 2w1 - likewise keep principles informed with compassion, and take opportunities to teach or inform, to be helpful... to hopefully see the beneficial result of exemplary living (of living and acting through your principles).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a 1w2 and this seems to be always in clash with the introverted side of myself. 1s are active people and when combined with a 2 wing it is more pronounced. I'm interested in anything that causes reform especially on a social level (I'm a main SO), I like politics but hate politicians :crazy: and morals are my highest standards (everything is filed according to them) including the most important ideals fairness and justice.

I get along with a variety of people but they are always on an arm's distance. Being a 1w2 affection is usually showed in action oriented things and offering help.

It is said that when a 1 is stressed they behave more like 4 and I have experienced that. I'm not sure if it is being an INFJ or having a 4 in my tritype but under stress there is a need to deal with all issues by analyzing my emotions but if not under stress I usually deal with things in a more rational and objective way.

In general I don't mind any type and would get along with anyone who I would classify as "good" which basically means a person who doesn't hurt others intentionally.

I went into the field of education because I believe it is one of the main paths to achieve social reform.
I read the above and thought it sounded just like me (INFJ 1w2)! I am in the education field as well. I have my pet causes and feel that I am not happy unless I am doing some good, somewhere. I used to call it 'God's work." My special area of concern now is with teen girls - helping the ones who have not received enough support.
I believe in going to church but I need to be involved with some kind of mission work in order to feel that it's really worthwhile. I also feel that most churches do not practice what they preach in that many people who fall into the category of non-middle class do not feel welcome in many churches. As a teacher I saw this prejudice also in the schools. I have a more mature, softened view of these situations now, however, and am not so hard on those who can't accept those who are different or in difficult circumstances.
I would have to say that I appreciate all the types - I have a friend who is an ENTJ, another who is an ISTJ, as well as an ENFP, several ESTP's, and have always known INFP's, And I recently met an ISFP who is so mature and is an inspiration to me. I also just met an ENTP who sounds so incredibly intelligent when she speaks! My ISTJ friend is also an E1. I truly learn a lot from her because we are similar. That ISTJ judgemental stuff is scary though. Nothing like having a mirror held up to your face! I appreciate the ESTJ's I know too. They are reliable. Several of them that I know are very well-rounded. My ESFP friend brings fun to a group. The ISFP's bring kindness. I have worked with an ISFJ - so nice. My sister is an ESFJ. You always know what to expect from those two types - kindness. I don't know any other INFJ's. It would be nice to meet one!

Sorry for the length. Love to talk about types!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Asking an INFJ about relationships is asking for a thesis.

I’m extremely particular about who I allow close to me. Guard your heart should be the INFJ mantra. There is an unspoken set of criteria that must be met for me before I allow anyone into the spot of ‘close friend’. It’s more about moral values than type. I don’t mind difference in people, but I have very little patience with people who are uninterested in the well being of others. I can spot selfishness and self-centered behavior by the immediate aggravation it elicits. I am just as hard on myself as I am on others. When I was younger, I saw this as a matter of integrity. As I got older, I realized that my lack of grace extended toward others was not only exhausting to others, but also to myself. The self-righteous aspects began to relax.

I went the route of studying Humanities. It was the most well rounded road I could see to travel. The more I was exposed to other ways of thinking, different belief systems, different types of people… the more I began to realize that a lot of what annoyed me was a matter of someone either in an unhealthy state or someone in the process of growth. Both states of mind should be treated with grace and wisdom. My studies began to lean heavily toward theology.

I trust neither the head nor the heart to make a wise decision. Both are fallible.
I’ve learned to accept imperfect progress as a yardstick instead of perfection.
Although, I don’t always remember this as I should.

As for the people in my life? I have all kinds of types around me. Who I get along with is measured more in length of time I have to spend with them. Some people are more draining to me.

ESs and ENs. Which ironically sums up the types that I dated before I got married. I have less stress with IPs then with EPs. The more introverted the E can manage to be the more we get along. The more accepting and less attention seeking EPs are like a breath of fresh air. In my personal experience, EPs gravitate toward me when they are feeling drained. I can relate to that. Treat them with compassion and they in turn are quite protective of a tired or focused introvert. They are also very private with their deeper selves. I know that I can trust them with what matters most to me.

I enjoy the INTJ and ENTJ for discussions where I want to learn. The length of time I spend with them depends on how respectful they are. The TJs can become cynical to the extreme. Can become easily frustrated if it takes you longer to understand something. As long as they can understand that I’m a holistic thinker and must understand the entire picture so that it all falls together, then they usually have much more respect for the process. The more mature ENTJs and I have an unusual mutual respect for each other’s insight. The INTJs are my close friends usually. I love their views of the world. They add an element to my understanding that clarifies. Especially, on purely theoretical matters. These are my coffee buddies. My I don’t understand the world at large buddies too.

ENTP and ESTP fall into a different category in my life naturally. They are the people that give me space. Pull me out when I need it. Know what to say at the right time. Give me a push with just the right amount of logic and pressure. They can relate to my frustrations without escalating the matter. Sometimes, it’s hard to get a firm judgment out of them, but that’s okay. I’ve found that they help me to slow mine down and take more time to figure something out. Sometimes, that’s exactly what I need.

SFP’s are nice, but I don’t connect to them naturally. I can be compassionate, but I tend to have such different goals in life that peaceful neutrality exists between us. We are two ships passing in the night.

SJs- I tend to listen. Grit my teeth. And get out of dodge as soon as possible. Interactions with them I try to keep to a minimal. When I'm around them I tend to wall up and guard myself more than any other type.

Under stress? Two reactions- 1) implode 2) explode. If you got to 2 you were more than likely being irrationally disrespectful and refusing to care about anyone but yourself. I’m still working on this one, but I have found that learning nuance in my emotional spectrum and knowing my limits has helped. Once I’m frustrated, it’s time for me to take a walk. Get outside where I can feel the open space and the peace that nature provides. Forget about it for a while and let my emotions settle. There are two avenues with anger… 1) stand up for yourself or someone else 2) move on. Prudence and Grace seem to be my lifelong lessons.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Retook the Enneagram test approximately a month ago and am simply a type 1 (previously scored 1w9, which is apparently far more turbulent disposition for an INFJ opposed to type 1 or 1w2 in the opinion of the writers of a few articles I read).

-My romantic relationship: Have been married for 2.5 years and still feel love, intimacy, trust, intellectual/creative stimulation, and team work (even more so than day 1). While dating, I recall asking him "Why do you even like me? What's the appeal?" and being quite baffled at his reasons. To this day, I still have to bite my tongue and dismiss my insecurities and remind myself what I (hope that I) bring to our relationship. It's counter productive and pushes our loved ones away when we so blatantly refuse to attempt to love ourselves to a healthy extent. He is very understanding and soothes me when I'm distressed (like when I'm being too hard on myself) while I fuel his ambition and commend him for all he achieves. It works well.

-I have never been nearly as lucky in friendship as I have been in love, but I can say with confidence as of right now I have 4 very dear good friends besides my spouse. 2 INTJs, an INFJ, and an INFP. All are brilliant and lovely women who inspire me in different ways. Many acquaintances, few friends.

-Family: An only child of an ESFJ and an ENFJ. Wonderful parents over all. I do not feel much connection with my aunts, uncles, cousins, etc; I don't wish to have any children right now. To quote a book I read not long ago: "You can't take people from the world. There's no where else to take them." We live in such a chaotic, dangerous world I couldn't bare to usher my own flesh and blood into such a horrid place. And it's going to get a lot worse. I am not judging other people for wanting or having children, children can be a gift, but it is a risk. Life traumatizes us all.

Stress: Stress is as part of my personality now as any characteristic. I seldom feel the "tranquility" people describe they find in INFJ's. Living in the moment is not my strength, anxiety is consuming my youth. I can keep a cool head when I absolutely must, yet so often I find myself paralyzed and trapped inside my own mind. I often get overwhelmed by sensory overload and I need a lot of time to recharge. Panic attacks (I mean, there's a reason I selected this username), night terrors, and my motor tic are part of my everyday life. I would encourage anyone to not follow my example and take care of yourself emotionally, mentally, and in every other way as soon as you can if you're suffering.

-What Types I Relate To: The sense of justice of the INFP, the thirst for knowledge of the INTP, the desire to nurture of the ISFJ, the "vision" of the INTJ, and the determination for harmony of the ENFJ.

-I generally am likely to become closer to intuitive types, but I think any type can bring something great to the table. The only pattern I've picked up is I've clashed with ISTP's in the past. I am by no means writing off ISTP's, I hope to meet one I can click with and get more insight on their Auxiliary Extraverted Sensing one day. INxx's and I tend to click. ENxx's too.

-Most Comfortable With: Um...I am quite private. I use social media sparingly, I'm selective with who I let in my circle. I try to live by "be kind to all, trust few". It's saved me a lot of grief.

- Careers pursued: I'd rather keep my current career to myself as of right now, but I aspire to become a published author one day. I'm on my 4th draft of my first novel.

-Major things I've overcome: Without getting into graphic detail I suffer from PTSD, depression, and general anxiety. Losing a baby not long after we got married was hard too (I may not want kids right now but I wish I had that baby with me). My health is not wonderful (stress does horrid things to the immune system). But I feel like I'm a very fortunate person over all and have many things to be grateful for. The bad doesn't outweigh the good. Putting things in perspective makes people less self absorbed anyways.

So there you go. Thank you for making this thread OP, very thought provoking questions. Us INFJ 1's need to chill out and open up a bit more.

·
Registered
304 Posts
INFJ 1w2 here!

I think calling us "The Perfectionist" is pretty accurate. I don't remember how it was in earlier days but these days I'm constantly struggling with being extreamly self judgemental and aiming to be perfect in everything, even though I know I'll never stand up to my standards. The aim for perfection could actually come out as good but it's important to keep it in check because it can freeze a person and prevent doing anything out of the fear of making mistakes.

Being INFJ 1w2 is also being convinced you need to fix the world.

on the more positive note though I've managed to create some amazing friendships and I overall enjoy the company of people a lot.
Under stress I seem to not be able to do a lot. I need everything to be arranged in my head because if there's even slight confusion I've no clue what to do.

I haven't noticed any types I specifically relate to, I seem to enjoy the company of all types expect for STs.

No idea on career but i really like performing infront of an audience but not necesserly as an actor or a musician but more as a lecturer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts