Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there has already been a post or two about this, but I can't find it. :)

After studying Enneagrams intensely for the last few days, I'm interested to know if we can find an INFJ of every major Enneagram type on here.

First of all, what is your Enneagram? Wing? Instinctual Variants?

How do you feel different from the typical description of an INFJ? (if at all)
How do you feel different from the typical description of your Enneagram type? (if at all)

Do you know any other INFJs of your Enneagram type?
If so, how are you alike and how do you differ?

What connections do you make between your motivations (Enneagram) and your behavior (INFJ)?

Feel free to be as descriptive as possible. I'm, of course, doing an obsessive study into this. I'll post my answers to this below...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
what is your Enneagram? Wing? Instinctual Variants?
I am a 6w7, sp/so/sx

How do you feel different from the typical description of an INFJ? How do you feel different from the typical description of your Enneagram type?
As far as the baseline description goes, I feel like I am a very typical example as both an INFJ and a 6. It's actually hard for me to separate some of the qualities in myself because I feel that they go hand-in-hand so often. I am highly anxious, highly intuitive, always thinking, never relaxing, very emotional but very guarded, desperate for intimacy but extremely cautious of it...etc.

I don't know any other INFJs in real life.
I do know two other 6s (my mom and my dad, actually), and they are both very different from me, and from each other. Still trying to come to terms with the fact that we may have the same "starting point," so to speak, but have entirely different personalities and behaviors (my dad is an ENTJ and my mom is an INFP)

What connections do you make between your motivations (Enneagram) and your behavior (INFJ)?
I think that being a six has motivated me to be even more guarded and cautious than I would have been naturally as an INFJ.
I have typically "doorslammed" people throughout my life (INFJ), which has often been a result of me feeling a lack of security and attempting to reject before being rejected (6).
I think that many of my intuitions turn to catastrophic future-projections, being that I am so intuitive (Ni) that I pick up on so much, but am so driven by anxiety that I project those intuitions into fears (6).

I'm in the midst of analyzing. I may add more later. :)

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts

I'm a 9w1 sp/sx. The whole tri-type's in my sig.

I'm much more laid back than the other INFJs around here. Less anxious, more comfortable in my own skin, so to speak. Content with life. It might not be due to a 9 and just being older and mellowed out. I'm not sure. I don't know any INFJs irl to compare to. I seem to be more in touch with my Fe than some here too, which I believe is due to being a 9. Fe is a great tool to have when you want to maintain peace and/or avoid conflicts. :eek:)

How do you feel different from the typical description of your Enneagram type? (if at all)

Most descriptions of 9s that I read seem to side more with someone who has Fi, who avoid conflict or wants peace for themselves, for inner harmony. However, I have Fe. I want to avoid conflict and maintain peace for the group, for others around me, often at the sacrifice of my own whims/desires/needs. It can feel at times that I'm containing something of a storm within me, so as not to disturb anyone.

No, I don't know any other INFJs, besides those around here on PerC. And I don't pay much mind to the different Enn. types.

If so, how are you alike and how do you differ? N/A

Being a 9w1 keeps me more introverted than I would really care to be, for the sake of the group. I've read some posts around here about other INFJs stepping out for the sake of "justice" or whatever, but I won't bother with that unless I'd really have to. Stupid people are going to be stupid. I won't go out of my way to tell them they're being stupid. It won't resolve anything in the long run. In a way, I think being a 9w1 keeps my Ni and Ti in check by putting more than the usual emphasis on Fe. :eek:)

And as I mentioned already, being an INFJ, I have Fe to use as a 9w1 to keep the peace. Ni and Ti also help as well, knowing the bigger picture details, the consequences of actions, and reminding others of that. Being able to show someone how to do something at work with Ti, and doing so diplomatically as a 9w1. It can all be really complimentary.

·
Banned
158 Posts
1. I'm a 5w4 with sp/so/sx

1. I am sometimes not very in tune with other people's thoughts and feelings. I can misunderstand them. Perhaps because I'm more rational than I imagine and more withdrawn than I should be. But of course, that's only the beginning of this hoopla. Having type 5 and type 4 motivations mixing makes me feel like both and neither at the same time...I don't want to explain.

2. There are several here on the forum, but I don't really know them. I don't know any INFJ in real life.

3. Being a 5 causes me a lot of internal conflicts and contradictions. Reasoning with myself is always a mess. Reasoning with the outside world gets interference. But I have to acknowledge that I like to look for patterns and consistencies and logical support for many of the amorphous things in life that I find so fascinating. I want the truth. I want the plain, the complex, the sensical, and the nonsensical truth. I crave knowledge. I can stay in school forever (not really, but you get what I mean...). The 4 wing just makes me want to headdesk. As if I'm not isolated enough. Now you're telling me I need to be still further away from "normal." Wait, I also have this dying need to express my unexpressive self? And these feelings coming from type 4 just love to make war with the residents of type 5 in the next town. Yayyy.

I'm exaggerating a little there. I'm totally cool with being a 5w4.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Enneagram is bogus, and does not stem from a sturdy fountainhead like Jung's Psychological Types. I think it's a degradation to the reputation and perceived integrity of the MBTI when it is even put in the same sentence as something like enneagram, which is pretty obviously some astrology-grade hogwash with a completely arbitrarily picked geometric pattern and relationships within it. I know that this kind of stuff turns a lot of people off of MBTI or at least MBTI communities, which often double as communities for silliness like this. Just trying to tell the truth here.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Enneagram is bogus, and does not stem from a sturdy fountainhead like Jung's Psychological Types. I think it's a degradation to the reputation and perceived integrity of the MBTI when it is even put in the same sentence as something like enneagram, which is pretty obviously some astrology-grade hogwash with a completely arbitrarily picked geometric pattern and relationships within it. I know that this kind of stuff turns a lot of people off of MBTI or at least MBTI communities, which often double as communities for silliness like this. Just trying to tell the truth here.
Sorry if you were offended by the post- really just looking for people who were interested in both models.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Hey now, it's not entirely useless. Every bit of personality description contributes to the drawing of a holistic map of yourself. You are never completely a single type of person.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Enneagram is bogus, and does not stem from a sturdy fountainhead like Jung's Psychological Types. I think it's a degradation to the reputation and perceived integrity of the MBTI when it is even put in the same sentence as something like enneagram, which is pretty obviously some astrology-grade hogwash with a completely arbitrarily picked geometric pattern and relationships within it. I know that this kind of stuff turns a lot of people off of MBTI or at least MBTI communities, which often double as communities for silliness like this. Just trying to tell my opinion here.
Fixed that for you.

In my opinion MBTI is as astrology-grade hogwash as you claim the enneagram to be. Not to be confused with the actual Jungian system which is very different from MBTI.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Sorry if you were offended by the post- really just looking for people who were interested in both models.
I'm not offended. It may be a little bit self-righteous of me, but I am big on telling the truth and dispelling what I reason to be non-sense. It's a decent act, to me.

Hey now, it's not entirely useless. Every bit of personality description contributes to the drawing of a hollistic map of yourself. You are never completely a single type of person.
But answering questions about yourself and having them mistranslated into a completely arbitrary decree of overarching characteristics, with the addition of the wing dynamics and their contribution to your overall personality as well, will very likely produce misinformation. Worse than even incorrectly drawing the map of yourself, is the ways in which we may inaccurately come to view ourselves, potentially effecting all of our choices, including what we think we like, who we think we like, and what we think is a good approach to ourselves. Of course, these things are all the responsibility of the individual, but, that does not take away from the potency of misperception - a devastating thing to be sure. Many things have potential uses, but are ultimately unfounded, unreliable and just not worth it. To say that enneagram is not useless, is, to me, like saying that any old, unfounded belief has its uses. That's dangerous stuff to be defending the worth of, especially when it concerns these contexts of how we see ourselves, others, and our relationships with each other and the world around us.

But, I am not seeking to kill the conversation that some are looking to have! And I am doubtful that I would have much more to say on this, and so, I will piss off and you all to it!

Fixed that for you.

In my opinion MBTI is as astrology-grade hogwash as you claim the enneagram to be. Not to be confused with the actual Jungian system which is very different from MBTI.
Shrug, fair point. But, there is not that much modification to the Jungian system that MBTI as a whole, including so much of the original, should be considered hogwash xD I share your sentiments here, though not with the same severity. And t here's no need to assume that I am unaware of our subjective experiences. I'm just not up for the tedium of broadcasting to everyone, whenever I share an opinion, that it is just my opinion. I used the word "truth" but could have said "the truth as I see it" but it honestly seems ghastly inefficient that we should always be catering our speech to that degree, everytime anything subjective is relayed.

·
Banned
158 Posts
But answering questions about yourself and having them mistranslated into a completely arbitrary decree of overarching characteristics, with the addition of the wing dynamics and their contribution to your overall personality as well, will very likely produce misinformation. Worse than even incorrectly drawing the map of yourself, is the ways in which we may inaccurately come to view ourselves, potentially effecting all of our choices, including what we think we like, who we think we like, and what we think is a good approach to ourselves. Of course, these things are all the responsibility of the individual, but, that does not take away from the potency of misperception - a devastating thing to be sure. Many things have potential uses, but are ultimately unfounded, unreliable and just not worth it. To say that enneagram is not useless, is, to me, like saying that any old, unfounded belief has its uses. That's dangerous stuff to be defending the worth of, especially when it concerns these contexts of how we see ourselves, others, and our relationships with each other and the world around us.

But, I am not seeking to kill the conversation that some are looking to have! And I am doubtful that I would have much more to say on this, and so, I will piss off and you all to it!
I think "arbitrary" is giving the creation of the Enneagram too much credit. At least arbitrary implies certain preconceptions of personality types that influenced the proponents of this system, that they had some kind of realistic view of what these types mean for people despite having little scientific merit. Since you think the Enneagram is so preposterous, it must be utter randomness! (EDIT: all in good humor! I was just reminded of my Stat class when my teacher spent an hour making sure we do not ever say random when we really mean arbitrary...)

Seriously though, I said the same thing about zodiacs a while back in another thread, but toward the end I tried not to be completely dismissive of the effort the ancients made in facilitating the careful studying and observation of human personality. Every attempt at categorizing human personality is worth looking into for yourself to some extent. You can come out saying, "This is complete giraffe spots!" or you keep it in mind and reason with yourself how much truth there is in what other people have said concerning people similar to you. No one here really believes that the MBTI or the Enneagram truly defines them right? I hope?

I would say drawing a map of your personality must require a whole ton of erasing. I'm willing to waste erasers rather than miss details, be they "truth" or "fallacy." Rest assured, Mr. Companion Cube, that I am letting neither the MBTI nor the Enneagram prescribe what kind of person I am.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
What is your Enneagram? Wing? Instinctual Variants?
I am a 5w4 sp/so/sx.

I am not as selfless and giving as many INFJs are portrayed to be. I am not saintlike and I do not desire to be.

I actually relate very much to the descriptions of my type. With the 4-wing, my interests lean on the artistic, creative side. I have a whimsical nature. While I am intense and passionate about certain things and curious about people, I am also wary, a bit removed, and detached.

Not outside the confines of PerC. The ones I've met here and interacted with happen to be women and live in different countries. What a shame really because I find my fellow INFJ-Type 5 ladies interesting and real; they're level-headed, warm, and intelligent.

Again, I haven't met any in real life, but the ones I've met here seem to be more put-together in life whereas I am haphazard.

I think both parts contribute to why I choose quality over quantity when it comes to my inner circle of close friends and how I spend my time and resources. Both aspects likely contribute to my being sensitive to outside stimuli and why I desire and need time alone, in larger doses. Some people have noted I am warm and lively, and maybe I am, and perhaps I can attribute that to Fe working its charm, but I'm also a loner at heart and I find nothing wrong with that (Type 5). Fe also helps because I can choose not to rock the boat and stay under the radar so that I don't create unnecessary drama and thus be left alone so that I can tend to my business and interests. I'm also big on boundaries; I loathe anyone disrespecting my boundaries. I also think I have a "live and let live" mentality in that people can believe, think, and say what they want, and all I ask is that others don't impose their beliefs, morals, and will onto me because I think for myself and I make my own rules as I go. <----Guess those are more related to the Type 5 traits. I think both types are underestimated or overshadowed by other types, but I actually like being both an INFJ and Type 5w4; it makes for a rich, complex inner world, where idealism and nihilism get to play with each other.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,469 Posts
First of all, what is your Enneagram? Wing? Instinctual Variants? 1w2, 6w5, 2w1 sp/sx.

How do you feel different from the typical description of an INFJ? (if at all) From the description? I don't know. Not much different to be honest. I never really seriously doubted my type because of that probably. Only thing I don't agree with is the psychic stuff. I'm no psychic. Man, I hate spelling that word.

How do you feel different from the typical description of your Enneagram type? (if at all) Not taking the wing and instinct stacking into consideration, some of them make 1's sound too rigid/heartless to be me and the 1w2 sounds too...outgoing and ambitious to be me but when I read a description of an sp type 1 it was spot on. Here it is:

"Self-Preservation 1 - Seeking Saftey/Comfort
Udit Patel Self-Control (Ichazo's "Anxiety")

Self-Preservation Ones focus their resentment and perfectionism in areas of health, self-management, and homemaking. They are not necessarily worked up about the plight of refugees in the Third World but may have very firm convictions about proper diet and exercise or the best way to maintain one's household or family budget. Self-Pres Ones like to be organized, to have their life structured, and their possessions put in their proper place. They are neat, punctual, and fastidious—sometimes to a fault. They believe that controlling the "dirt" and chaos in their lives will enhance their well being, even their survival. It seems to them that a well-ordered life is the best hedge against chaos and danger, and they are concerned that any mistakes on their part could have dire consequences. Thus, they tend to be careful and meticulous in the planning of their lives. Many Self-Pres Ones also take an active interest in preventative health matters: vitamins, cleansing diets and fasts, exercise routines, alternative medicine, and cutting-edge medical knowledge.

LifeExplore

Characterized by a tendency towards worry and negative anticipation, especially as it relates to material well-being. Can seem a little like Sixes. They fret about how to avoid making mistakes that could jeopardize survival. Petty, finicky quality; could seem "penny-wise and pound-foolish." Sense of being undeserving or inadequate - try to compensate with worry. As a parent or friend, they might be critical and nurturing by turns, wanting to protect you from the same negative consequences they worry about."

Do you know any other INFJs of your Enneagram type? Only ones on here but haven't gotten close to any of them so I wouldn't say I really know them.
If so, how are you alike and how do you differ? N/A

What connections do you make between your motivations (Enneagram) and your behavior (INFJ)? Well my motivations dictate my behavior as does my way of thinking (INFJ) but I guess that is what is meant here. There are all kinds of connections. It makes sense for an introvert to be self preserving first off. 1w2's are titled as advocates. Fairness is important to me (Fe). I think that's pretty fitting for an INFJ. I don't think one is all that uncommon for INFJ's. And then my head fix (6w5) makes sense for an INFJ too with having dom Ni and all. Hmm that's it I guess. I don't like answering this because it feels like I'm stereotyping INFJ's or something.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Enneagram? 9w1 sx/sp, more info on that in my signature

How do you feel different from the typical description of an INFJ? I am not really good at test taking...almost every where I read INFJs make the perfect student, not so much me, I think that I get so wrapped up in my own thoughts regarding the topic at hand that.....I completely miss the little detail they wanted me to know for that one fill in the blank question ^^''''''''...unless it's the kind of teacher that gives you a set of facts to memorize <--- that I would ace

Everything else I've read about INFJs child hood/ behavior is very much like me
except that
I once read that INFJs can't accept criticism, I can, I can see that the other persons point of view what they say mostly to help improve me, so even if it's said in a way that isn't productive :/ I still improve/learn from it and I do not take it personally, unless what they are criticizing isn't even what I was doing/ saying
I hate it when people think they know me so well,
but they only know what I allow them to see

my Fe may be abnormal ---the numbers down there in my siggy may not let that on, but it's too the point where I cry a lot....I tend to overly feel everything everyone feels...and it drains me, I've been trying to focus more on my dominate function and fix stressful situations rather than allowing it to leave me immobile and basking in the feeling of those situations

How do you feel different from the typical description of your Enneagram type? I don't....I think that perhaps most nines are more focused on others, while I do focus on others a lot, being a people pleaser....
I focus on my own inner harmony almost just as much, if I do not maintain inner harmony, I get stressed and then my introvertedness kicks in and I want to run and immediately have alone time to recollect thoughts/ recharge

but even then! My inner harmony solely depends on what is going on around me, so if everyone else is upset, I feel upset, when they're happy i'm happy ect....this is really hard sometimes, because someone will tell me something bad that happened to them and I have to remain composure here even though I feel the pain as if it happened to me and I'm hyper sensitive/usually feel like crying
for example- this lady I work with told me about how her husband cheated on her for 16 yrs while she was married to him ;-; before the conversation was over my eyes were watering and she was looking at me funny till I started talking...

so I focus on making other people happy in order to maintain my own happiness :)
-I really hope that didn't come across as ramblings XP

Do you know any other INFJs of your Enneagram type? met one other person who claimed to be INFJ not sure of his enneagram type
If so, how are you alike and how do you differ? we were both quiet nature he had that certain look on his face that was similar to INFJs, when he talked you could see emotion in his face, we didn't last because he smoked and I'm allergic to second hand, and then he was also very strict in to thinking there's no God and we tended to but heads a little, I tend to like my SOs to accept why I believe what I do and not think I'm naive for it v.v I feel like everyone has the same materials available for them to study and can make their own decision in that area, if that's not to bold to say

What connections do you make between your motivations (Enneagram) and your behavior (INFJ)? I'm not sure,

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I will not respond directly but...

I'm an 5w4 sp/so enneagram and it's quite conflicting.

I believe as Jung did, that not everybody fits neatly in all types, that some people will actually fit the mold of multiple types. Hence I see myself as right down the middle... I usually score Very high I/N ... then 50/50 T/F J/P.

The only time I can barely get between them is a question such as mercy vs. justice... I would often favor mercy and rehabilitation over retribution.

I consider myself to have dominant Ni, inferior Se. From there, my middle functions are very dimensionally balanced and it's very hard to tell where one starts and the other ends b/c Ni forces them to consider from all angles.

I fill more solid about enneagram descriptions as pegging me, though MBTI is potentially more useful knowing the cog functions, but I think the DISTINCT types is a bit too rigid.

As far as INFJ typical descriptions well, some are very good (personality junkie) ... some are quite terrible.

For me, the following quote rings true and sometimes it is hard to relate to people who are one sided on these. My verbal/math SAT at 17 were within 10 points of each other, and my IQ score was within 1 point of each other verbal/math when I was 8 years old.

"It is difficult to broadly classify INFJs as either right-brained or left-brained since they utilize both sides of the brain with equal adeptness. INFJs are both creative and responsible, artistic and logical, spiritual and scientific, intuitive and analytic."

My favorite genre is when things like philosophy/literature/history/science all merge together into a complete work.

But then again... when philosophy gets TOO logical such as proofs, I cease to be a fan... Philosophy without purpose is not my cup of tea. The same with literature, when it is too littered with adornments and concerned about form, as well as extreme forms of poetry.. I tend not to relate. It needs to have some kind of deep philosophy or plot, and I am attracted more to actual literature and classics than contemporary work...

Anyway, hope that gives you a good idea.

I think I've narrowed down a career niche where I can combine all of these as somewhat of a journalist, who also fills the niche roles as an aspiring writer...historian...philosopher. Call me a jack of all trades as you wish, but I think the renaissance and Greek ideals of balance were very nice, I HATE specialization. :)

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
I think my mom is an INFJ 3w2 sx/sp, and my Sister could be an INFJ 9w8 sp/so. However, I've always been extremely off about my sisters' typing for some reason. I just can't pin her down to anything .. She is an extremely outgoing introvert driven by a desire to succeed but has a very strong desire to maintain harmony and peace as well .. and that really throws me off about her at times. Maybe she's a 9w1 who has been in the healthy levels all her life, so taken on a lot of 3-ish tendencies .. but I can't be sure.

But neither have taken any tests, and I haven't even been able to introduce them to Enneagrams and JCF yet.

My mom and I are like peas in a pod and I've always wondered why we are so similar. I'm closing in on our similarities as I've dived deeper into Enneagrams recently - and from what I've read, she's very close to a core Type 3 ... Maybe she might be a 2w3?

Which one is more likely for an INFJ .. any ideas?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think my mom is an INFJ 3w2 sx/sp, and my Sister could be an INFJ 9w8 sp/so. However, I've always been extremely off about my sisters' typing for some reason. I just can't pin her down to anything .. She is an extremely outgoing introvert driven by a desire to succeed but has a very strong desire to maintain harmony and peace as well .. and that really throws me off about her at times. Maybe she's a 9w1 who has been in the healthy levels all her life, so taken on a lot of 3-ish tendencies .. but I can't be sure.

But neither have taken any tests, and I haven't even been able to introduce them to Enneagrams and JCF yet.

My mom and I are like peas in a pod and I've always wondered why we are so similar. I'm closing in on our similarities as I've dived deeper into Enneagrams recently - and from what I've read, she's very close to a core Type 3 ... Maybe she might be a 2w3?

Which one is more likely for an INFJ .. any ideas?
I'm not sure which is more likely statistically, although I can say that I can see more "2" qualities in the basic description of INFJs. Neither is out of the question though. :/

Reactions: SilentScream

·
Registered
1,476 Posts

6w7 for sure - or at least as much as this Six can be ^_^ tritype 621... 629 is also possible. sx/sp.

I am nothing special, I am... just me.

I am not that reliable, I tend to forget things. I am not thinking in terms of duties, I try to avoid most of them, I want to be free to follow my own passions.

Yes.

Hmm, we are probably the same tritype and almost same instincts... I don't know actually.

Deep thinking in general, seeing many sides of the issues, possibilities... Considering other people. Ambiversion - I am truly introverted but may seem extroverted when one-to-one. Shyness and social awareness. Those at least.

·
Loon Princess
3,314 Posts
Here's some statistics on this:

Total INFJs on PerC: 3536

Type 4: 501 (14.17%)
Type 5: 320 (9.05%)
Type 6: 237 (6.71%)
Type 2: 231 (6.54%)
Type 9: 173 (4.90%)
Type 1: 92 (2.61%)
Type 3: 48 (1.36%)
Type 8: 25 (0.71%)
Type 7: 22 (0.63%)

Unknown: 1887 (53.37%)

I highly doubt the frequency of Type 4, though.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's some statistics on this:

Total INFJs on PerC: 3536

Type 4: 501 (14.17%)
Type 5: 320 (9.05%)
Type 6: 237 (6.71%)
Type 2: 231 (6.54%)
Type 9: 173 (4.90%)
Type 1: 92 (2.61%)
Type 3: 48 (1.36%)
Type 8: 25 (0.71%)
Type 7: 22 (0.63%)

Unknown: 1887 (53.37%)

I highly doubt the frequency of Type 4, though.
Thanks for those statistics! Do you happen to have a source like this for the general population, too, or just PerC?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts