Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I have for a list of INFJ fictional characters. (Warning: there are a couple of these where I actually have not watched/read the show/movie/book so I can't really confirm them but I heard they were INFJs). Feel free to add/comment but please be kind.

Girls
Elsa (Frozen)
Maleficent (Maleficent)
Blake Belladonna (RWBY)
Misaka Mikoto (A Certain Scientific Railgun)
Kumiko Oumae (Sound! Euphonium)
Daenerys Targaryen (Game of Thrones)
Asami Sato (Legend of Korra)
Jinora (Legend of Korra)
Rapunzel (Tangled)
Clarke Griffin (The 100)
Hong Seol (Cheese in the Trap- Kdrama)
Uma (Descendants 2)
Rika (Mystic Messenger)
Galadriel (Lord of the Rings)
Lisa Simpson (The Simpsons)
Jodie Landon (Daria)
Levy McGarden (Fairy Tail)
Tara Maclay (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Olivia Dunham (Fringe)
Sara Crewe (The Little Princess)
Vanessa Ives (Penny Dreadful)
Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice)
Jean Grey (X-Men)
Sayuri (Memoirs of a Geisha)
Xion (Kingdom Hearts)

Guys
Merlin (BBC's Merlin)
Himura Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin)
Tadashi Hamada (Big Hero 6)
Aladdin (Magi: Labyrinth of Magic)
Huey (Boondocks)
Lucas Friar (Girl Meets World)
John Davinier (Belle)
Rafiki (The Lion King)
Kaoru Hitachiin (Ouran Highschool Host Club)
Haku (Spirited Away)
Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia)
Loki Laufeyson (Marvel Cinematic Universe)
Aragorn (Lord of the Rings)
Itachi Uchiha (Naruto)
Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold (Once Upon A Time)
Atticus Finch (How To Kill A Mockingbird)
Drizzt Do'Urden (The Legend of Drizzt)
Charlie (The Perks of Being A Wallflower)
Remus Lupin (Harry Potter)
Izuku Midoriya (My Hero Academia)
Ashitaka (Princess Mononoke)
Sam Winchester (Supernatural)
Will Graham (Hannibal)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
(I kinda forgot that Rapunzel has been cited as INFJ, I personally thing she's certainly extroverted, but you're probably right in at least including her because she has definitely been typed as INFJ frequently, at least in the past!)

Anyway, here are some possible INFJs (and of course anyone can object.)

Obi Wan Kenobi (Star Wars)
Zelda (Zelda Game Franchise)
Niles Crane (Fraiser)
Reki (Haibane Renmei)
Te Fiti (Moana, and if we're typing the ocean, my bet is also INFJ, lol)

Sorry, I swear there's so much more but my stupid brain is blocking them. I'm sure the INFJs will be very helpful in adding to this and hopefully my mind will start acting like one again soon enough.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I’d type Elizabeth Bennet as an INFJ in the book and 1995 BBC adaptation. She reads as far more ENFP in The Lizzie Bennet Diaries and the 2005 film.

Some of the more extended conversations from the book, unfortunately, have been cut from many adaptations. It creates an overemphasis on her zingy rejoinders (not all of which are even original) and underplays moments where Elizabeth demonstrates a lot of Fe in handling the dynamics between the Bingleys/Bennets/Darcys/Hursts.

Elizabeth is also shown as a more rounded character in the novel. There’s a lovely balance between being spirited and tactful. She understands the rules and chooses carefully when to play by them, and she’s quite distressed when her family doesn’t follow suit.

Other fictional INFJs:
Stephen Dedalus from James Joyce’ Ulysses
Penelope from Homer’s Odyssey
Beauty from Robin McKinley’s Beauty
Kim Merrill from Pactricia C. Wrede’s Mairelon the Magician and Magician’s Ward
Eve from Balmer and Wylie’s When Worlds Collide

(I also wouldn’t be surprised if Joyce, Wrede, and McKinley were INFJs, themselves)

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
We've had a few of these, but I'll add my pet INFJ one here as well.

Michael Schofield (Prison Break)

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Deanna Troi, Mr. Homn, The Traveler, Guinan. All from Star Trek TNG.

Other characters from Star Trek: TNG:

Jean-Luc Picard: INTJ
Mr. Data: INTP
Mr. Worf: ISTJ
Natasha Yar: ESTJ
Beverly Crusher: ISFJ
Wesley Crusher: INFP
Lwaxana Troi: ENFJ
Geordi LaForge: ENTP
Q: ENTP

Reactions: Librarian

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

My family is into this show lately. How did I not consider Troi to be INFJ?! Kinda clear if I think about it, though I guess she maybe seems extroverted some of the time? Which of the characters in the show best exemplify INFJ, in your opinion?

(Lol, I'm a little embarrassed to be Worf- even though your typing seems quite correct!)

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
My family is into this show lately. How did I not consider Troi to be INFJ?! Kinda clear if I think about it, though I guess she maybe seems extroverted some of the time? Which of the characters in the show best exemplify INFJ, in your opinion?

(Lol, I'm a little embarrassed to be Worf- even though your typing seems quite correct!)
I think Deanna Troi is the most classical INFJ out of them, but I do think all of those INFJs exemplify INFJ well, just different tempers. Mr. Homn is a 9, the Traveler a 5, Deanna something-like-1w2, Guinan another 9. All very typical.

Reactions: Librarian

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,601 Posts
I think that Kif Kroker from Futurama is an INFJ and I relate to him quite a bit.

I am convinced that Dawn Bellwether from Zootopia is an extremely unhealthy unhealthy INFJ. In my mind, she is an IXFJ of some sort.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Here's what I have for a list of INFJ fictional characters. (Warning: there are a couple of these where I actually have not watched/read the show/movie/book so I can't really confirm them but I heard they were INFJs). Feel free to add/comment but please be kind.

Girls
Elsa (Frozen)
Maleficent (Maleficent)
Blake Belladonna (RWBY)
Jinora (Legend of Korra)
Rapunzel (Tangled)
Clarke Griffin (The 100)
Uma (Descendants 2)
Rika (Mystic Messenger)
Jodie Landon (Daria)
Olivia Dunham (Fringe)
Jean Grey (X-Men)
Xion (Kingdom Hearts)

Guys
Merlin (BBC's Merlin)
Huey (Boondocks)
John Davinier (Belle)
Rafiki (The Lion King)
Haku (Spirited Away)
Itachi Uchiha (Naruto)
Will Graham (Hannibal)
I believe Clarke Griffin is ISFJ and Elsa ISTJ, I don't see much Ni-Se dynamic in them. The only INFJ I can think of in the show is Marcus Kane. People think he's Si because he "follows the rules" but honestly, that's not even indicative of anything. His Ni is manifested through his focus on future consequences and the ideal he tries to reach even if people keep telling him he's being "naive". His Fe is also very obvious during the second season till the last (at first, he was in some sort of Ni-Ti loop that made him take immoral actions for the "greater good"). Maybe Dante is INFJ too, but I'm not quite sure yet.

Reactions: Vivid Melody

·
Registered
761 Posts
• Tomoyo (Cardcaptor Sakura)
she's 9w1

• Effy Stonem (Skins) she's unhealthy though...
I believe she's 5w4

• Marcus Kane (The 100)
Either 1w9 or 5w6

• Judy Hopps (Zootopia) I thought ENFJ but someone made convincing arguments for INFJ.
She's 1w2

• N (Pokemon Black/White)
4w5? 9w1?

• Lysandre (Pokemon XY)
1w9 or 4w5, I just know he's crazy lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe Clarke Griffin is ISFJ and Elsa ISTJ, I don't see much Ni-Se dynamic in them.
I can’t really speak for Clarke because I don’t know her character too well; I just know she’s been typed as an INFJ on a number of occasions.
As for Elsa, I have heard many arguments for both ISTJ and INFJ, but in the end I see her as more of an INFJ. Although I did relate to Elsa a lot, at first ISTJ arguments had almost had me convinced. But when I re-watched the movie, while I definitely understood the arguments and why a lot of people consider her to be an Si-dom it just doesn’t seem as likely to me. Plus I also don’t see much evidence of Te. Granted, I could be a little bit biased because I have an ISTJ mother and while I know that many of the circumstances for Elsa would have contributed to her acting differently than my mom would (she was definitely a relatively unhealthy character for the majority of Frozen), I just can’t see much of a comparison. She could be an unhealthy ISTJ so I’m not going to say that she’s definitely an INFJ (we'll hopefully find out more about her character's personality in Frozen 2); but just in my opinion, based on my own interpretation of her character, it doesn’t seem as likely. I’d be happy to hear more of your opinion on why you believe she’s an ISTJ though.
Here’s the links to a few analyses I saw for her being an INFJ that I thought were really good (and could explain way better than I can) just in case you want to check them out:
Animated MBTI - Queen Elsa--INFJ

Animated MBTI - Why Queen Elsa is an INFJ (in terms of common...

https://breatonae.tumblr.com/post/162832131307/elsa-infj-an-analysis-of-cognitive-functions

·
Registered
761 Posts
@BreaTonae

After reading all of this, I can understand why people type Elsa as INFJ. Some arguments seemed silly or insignificant to cognitive functions, but most of them are plausible. As for my opinion, I will quote someone else because I believe this person explained the best Elsa's type.

Elsa’s main conflict revolved around feeling incompetent which is indicative of higher Te and lower Fi. Specifically, she was unable to reconcile what people expected her to do versus what she knew was the right thing to do. Now, some people might argue that this is a sign of Fe-Ti, but the details do not support that. I have said before that Te and Fe share structural similarities so it’s easy to confuse the two. Te and Fe both feel pressure to conform to objective standards, are duty oriented, focus on negative feedback from others, but the manner in which they respond to that pressure is somewhat different. Te is action-oriented and decisive and not very nuanced and doesn’t hesitate to cut ties with people if necessary, and it will only hesitate if Fi is really really attached. Fe is less decisive with lower Ti, more nuanced and patient in how it handles other people’s needs, and has broader concerns beyond the one person they are attached to especially if they are in a position of authority or responsibility. Elsa only showed concern for Anna’s well-being and neither that nor the suffering of the kingdom was able to sway her decision making process in the least. She displays Te’s goal-oriented tact and not Fe’s emotional support tact in several instances. Additionally, I see no sign of Ni which means she must be an Si user, though the evidence of her Si is a bit sketchy due to the messy stress behaviors. She behaves very erratically with anxious self-protective behaviors when pushed too far which is a sign of lower Fi and Ne. This leaves xSTJ. Is she introverted or extraverted? One could argue that her withdrawal from life was a grip episode which would mean she’s extraverted but I believe it’s more likely to be a loop because she’s actually happy to isolate herself, which is indicative of an Fi related loop. Isolating oneself will provide a false sense of inner strength (”Let it Go”), but it is not an adaptive or effective solution to one’s problems. IxTJs fall into loops when they don’t know of any better way to adapt to a situation and a defensive loop allows them to preserve some semblance of control and competency but at the expense of disengaging from reality. Tertiary Ti loops, by contrast, separate from others but also blame others irrationally, and Elsa showed no evidence of really blaming anyone but herself for being incompetent, which is more Fi than Fe. So, I have to agree with Elsa being an ISTJ.
And ISTJ vs INFJ:

I should repeat that I am not sure of Elsa’s type because her circumstances were far from normal, and I cannot say that every ISTJ would react the same way to what she went through let alone predict how an INFJ would react. Healthy Ni might allow a person to find a better solution to a problem because of the tendency to examine in depth and consider long term consequences, especially with regard to what is best for the kingdom (Fe). However, would Elsa possess healthy Ni in her situation? Given her sheltered development, probably not. INFJs can also be insecure, passive, isolative, or stuck in a loop, so I wouldn’t go so far as to say that an INFJ would not do exactly what Elsa did, but their reasons would differ. All introverted loops essentially look similar from the outside but how and why each type enters into them is different. She did not show the typical signs of an INFJ loop, which means that she is simply a person running away from a problem. INFJs would never feel happy or satisfied to run away from a problem because they would always feel as though they are not making progress in the right direction (Ni) and they’d probably end up sulking in their own pain or insecurity rather than relishing the freedom like Elsa did. Fe’s sense of duty towards other people is generally stronger than Te, so even unhealthy Fe would not allow Elsa to indulge her own feelings of being free from other people to the extent that was portrayed. That doesn’t mean she would do anything differently or be more insightful or responsible or whatever, it simply means that she wouldn’t be able to escape the nagging from Ni-Fe. How she would respond to that nagging is anyone’s guess.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Firemoon I definitely see where you're coming from. The only issue I have with the argument is the comment that "Elsa only showed concern for Anna’s well-being and neither that nor the suffering of the kingdom was able to sway her decision making process in the least. She displays Te’s goal-oriented tact and not Fe’s emotional support tact in several instances." For that last sentence, I'm not completely clear on how they're saying that Elsa displayed Te's goal-oriented tact. I think it might have been a bit more helpful if they had mentioned some specific instances that supported their argument. As for that first part, in my opinion Elsa actually did seem to show a lot of concern when Anna came and told her that she set off an eternal winter. Right before that whole song (First Time In Forever reprise) she had made the comment that she belonged out there alone, where she could be who she was without hurting Anybody. But during the song when Anna told her that Arendelle was in deep snow and that she set off an eternal winter she actually did seem worried to me; it's like in her mind she ran away because she lost control of her magic because she put them in danger and her not being there meant they'd all be safe but now she's finding out they're not and that she actually made it worse. But because Anna is family, it would make sense that she'd have a stronger reaction to her well-being. After that moment you could see Elsa going back into a downward spiral because she doesn't know what to do.

I think part of what adds to this whole debate about her type is the fact the majority of the focus of the movie was not on her. Most of it focused on Anna so we got to see more of her personality than we did for Elsa so we tend to make a lot of assumptions. I agreed with this part of the argument: "INFJs would never feel happy or satisfied to run away from a problem because they would always feel as though they are not making progress in the right direction (Ni) and they’d probably end up sulking in their own pain or insecurity rather than relishing the freedom like Elsa did." But sadly we only got to see that initial scene when she first ran away and was relishing in that freedom; she was isolated her whole life, told she had to conceal who she is, basically told that she wasn't supposed to feel and for the first time ever she didn't have those restrictions so it was a relief and it was exciting. The issue is that we did not get to see what she was doing there after the fact; we only truly got to see her again after Anna got there. So we never truly got to examine her thought process or see if after a while she would have started feeling a certain way or even if she did feel a certain way after that scene.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
3,696 Posts
I’d type Elizabeth Bennet as an INFJ in the book and 1995 BBC adaptation. She reads as far more ENFP in The Lizzie Bennet Diaries and the 2005 film.

Some of the more extended conversations from the book, unfortunately, have been cut from many adaptations. It creates an overemphasis on her zingy rejoinders (not all of which are even original) and underplays moments where Elizabeth demonstrates a lot of Fe in handling the dynamics between the Bingleys/Bennets/Darcys/Hursts.

Elizabeth is also shown as a more rounded character in the novel. There’s a lovely balance between being spirited and tactful. She understands the rules and chooses carefully when to play by them, and she’s quite distressed when her family doesn’t follow suit.
I was reading Pride and Prejudice this year, but my Nook crashed, so I was only able to read the First Volume of the novel. Still, from what I did read, I thought I saw a lot more Fi in her than Fe. I'd show some parts that I highlighted, but again, my Nook will not awake from its slumber...:bored:

Other fictional INFJs:
Stephen Dedalus from James Joyce’ Ulysses
Penelope from Homer’s Odyssey
Beauty from Robin McKinley’s Beauty
Kim Merrill from Pactricia C. Wrede’s Mairelon the Magician and Magician’s Ward
Eve from Balmer and Wylie’s When Worlds Collide

(I also wouldn’t be surprised if Joyce, Wrede, and McKinley were INFJs, themselves)
Yes, I think Stephen Dedalus and James Joyce are INFJs. I related to Stephen probably more than any other fictional character I've encountered in a novel. I loved what @fair phantom had to say about Stephen:

In both Portrait of the Artist and Ulysses I think Stephen is a perfect example of an INFJ—one who isn't some mystic sage or psychic. I think people who are confused about what INFJs are really like should try reading PotA and the Stephen sections of Ulysses.
I'm not familiar with the others you mentioned, though.

Another really good example of an INFJ character based off an INFJ himself is Harry Haller in Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
3,696 Posts

Girls
Elsa (Frozen)
Maleficent (Maleficent)
Blake Belladonna (RWBY)
Jinora (Legend of Korra)
Rapunzel (Tangled)
Clarke Griffin (The 100)
Uma (Descendants 2)
Rika (Mystic Messenger)
Jodie Landon (Daria)
Olivia Dunham (Fringe)
Jean Grey (X-Men)
Xion (Kingdom Hearts)

Guys
Merlin (BBC's Merlin)
Huey (Boondocks)
John Davinier (Belle)
Rafiki (The Lion King)
Haku (Spirited Away)
Itachi Uchiha (Naruto)
Will Graham (Hannibal)
From the ones I'm familiar with I think Galadriel, Lisa Simpson (maybe ENFJ, but I haven't seen too many Simpsons @INForJoking, @mp2 :wink:) and Jean Grey (Never piss off an INFJ), possibly Elsa haha, but I always saw her as more of a Si-dom. I've been more open to the idea lately. Also, Remus Lupin (I read Prisoner of Azkaban fairly recently and he was INFJ), Atticus Finch, Will Graham, and possibly Charlie or Aragorn, but I'd have to refresh my memory on either of those. From the world of Harry Potter, Dumbledore is also a total INFJ, and I could even see Tom Riddle as a truly messed up one. I'd also add Charles Xavier, and possibly Magneto, from X-Men. I recently watched Mindhunter on Netflix and Holden is an INFJ. I could also see Rory Gilmore as one, but I don't watch Gilmore Girls. Niles from Frasier is definitely one too. One of my favorite INFJs is Tobias Beecher from OZ, but that show is so messed up! There's also Sister Peter Marie and Kareem Said as INFJs in the show too.

How many of these threads do we have now haha? There's like one a month, but I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
155 Posts

I reckon Picard is closer to INFJ than INTJ.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I reckon Picard is closer to INFJ than INTJ.
I could argue for plenty of Te in his youth and plenty of Fi in his current state. He constantly refers to his personal values and visions rather than considering the values of the particular people around him. He might be able to place himself into another's shoes, but it doesn't come to him as quickly as following what he believes is right. Deanna Troi, in constrast, is all about harmony and reaching Fe-like solutions for everyone.

But mostly I just don't relate to him as much as I do other INFJ characters.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts