Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I would like to know if INFJs out there have any funny or unique childhood memories.

I would like to see how they compare to other INFJ memories.

I always felt a bit "different" growing up. I can remember specific instances, I am wondering if you can too.

Feel free to share!

·
Registered
282 Posts
The first two (of many) that come to mind are from 1st grade:

1) Our class was in the library, working in groups. I sat down at this one table with a girl I thought was kind of nice, & she said, "No, only the cool girls can sit with us." & either I left or she & her friends moved to a different table, I don't remember. All I know is, that same day, I lost my favorite earring. Worst day of my life.

2) Not sure how it happened, but I had a very intellectual discussion with a fellow classmate on why I hated Bob the Builder.

Hmmm... It's late & I'm tired, but I'll definitely add to this when I think of more stories!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I used to go hid inside clothes racks and sing wheels on the bus goes round and round. I think this happened in a Kmart if i recall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One that keeps returning is when I was maybe eight years old in Sunday school. As a budding INFJ, I was fascinated by the teacher's mannerisms and speech (he had a repaired cleft palate.) As he spoke, I stared at him intently trying to draw his personality closer so I could feel what it was like to be him. He saw me and leaped from his chair, shoving me outside in the hallway. He shouted, "Don't you ever mock me!" I had no idea what "mocking" was. I wasn't aware that I may have been moving my lips as he spoke. It was quite sad, because I really liked this teacher and feel badly as an adult that I may have hurt his feelings.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a lot of funny childhood stories, here is just a few

I ditched school for the 1st time in 5th grade because I was tired of crying from my teacher getting mad at me for not doing homework. I planned this to every detail for a week. For the week,I practiced my sick voice using a toy recorder and I dug a hole under the fence to get out of school using tools smuggled from the PE storage container as if I was escaping from Alcatraz.
I got dropped off by my mother and walked to my hole. I crawled underneath and walked 2 miles back to my home. I called the school pretending to be my mother who seemed to have also contracted the flu .I told them to have a nice day and proceeded up stairs to my room to watch cartoons for 6 hours and stuff my face with sweets before I had to walk back to school to get picked up from my mother. They seemed to have believed it so I didn't think much of it and turned on some Pokemon. Just in case my mom came home, I had a hamper in the closet ready to hide in and some cloths to throw over my self. I thought it was fool proof because I heard the garage door open whenever someone opened it and I planned this to every detail.
Apparently, the school had to listen to the phone call for a half hour and decided to call my mother just in case, so it turns out I did a decent job.Obviously, my mom got off work and went home to see what the fuck was going on..............without opening the garage.... She caught me red handed stuffing my face with cupcakes ,surrounded by empty soda cans, chip bags,candy wrappers and whatever snacks we had. She was so pissed, but I asked her about it a year ago and she said " I wish I had a camera just so I could show you the look on your face. Priceless. "

Me and my father have some kind of curse on us because thing either happen to us or happen around us. Not just being clumsy, but things that have a 1 in a million chance of happening to someone. The kids on the block were having a jumping contest on their bicycles to see who can jump the furthest, so I decided to join. THe jump was just whatever they had in their garages stacked on top of each other with a piece of wood on top. Kids were just peddling up and doing the jump, but I went to the top of the hill began to haul ass down the street to hit the jump. I hit this jump so fast and soared into the air. I hit this branch hanging over the tree. Dazed, but still clung to the handlebars, but got knocked off the seat and my feet fell off the peddles. I landed on my balls on the bike's frame. The pain was intense, but I clung for dear life so I wouldn't fall . I soon realized I was heading down another hill and I couldn't brake because I had the peddle brakes not the handlebar ones. Wanting to end the pain I steered the bike into a mail box going what seemed like 15 mph, thus destroying the boys once more. I sighed then collapsed into the fetal position and remained their a while. The good thing was that I won the contest despite hitting my head on the branch and held the record that which no one defeated.

Last one, I don't really remember much because I was 2, but it was my first interaction with a girl. She was a little older and lived next door. We were playing some game where one spun the other and tried to walk as straight as possible to some destination. She spun me, kicked me in the balls and left. Not only was this my first interaction with a girl , it was my first time getting owned in the balls. Many lessons learned that day.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One that keeps returning is when I was maybe eight years old in Sunday school. As a budding INFJ, I was fascinated by the teacher's mannerisms and speech (he had a repaired cleft palate.) As he spoke, I stared at him intently trying to draw his personality closer so I could feel what it was like to be him. He saw me and leaped from his chair, shoving me outside in the hallway. He shouted, "Don't you ever mock me!" I had no idea what "mocking" was. I wasn't aware that I may have been moving my lips as he spoke. It was quite sad, because I really liked this teacher and feel badly as an adult that I may have hurt his feelings.
I've done things like that before...try to feel what it is like to be somebody.

It can be misinterpreted by the subject.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a lot of funny childhood stories, here is just a few

I ditched school for the 1st time in 5th grade because I was tired of crying from my teacher getting mad at me for not doing homework. I planned this to every detail for a week. For the week,I practiced my sick voice using a toy recorder and I dug a hole under the fence to get out of school using tools smuggled from the PE storage container as if I was escaping from Alcatraz.
I got dropped off by my mother and walked to my hole. I crawled underneath and walked 2 miles back to my home. I called the school pretending to be my mother who seemed to have also contracted the flu .I told them to have a nice day and proceeded up stairs to my room to watch cartoons for 6 hours and stuff my face with sweets before I had to walk back to school to get picked up from my mother. They seemed to have believed it so I didn't think much of it and turned on some Pokemon. Just in case my mom came home, I had a hamper in the closet ready to hide in and some cloths to throw over my self. I thought it was fool proof because I heard the garage door open whenever someone opened it and I planned this to every detail.
Apparently, the school had to listen to the phone call for a half hour and decided to call my mother just in case, so it turns out I did a decent job.Obviously, my mom got off work and went home to see what the fuck was going on..............without opening the garage.... She caught me red handed stuffing my face with cupcakes ,surrounded by empty soda cans, chip bags,candy wrappers and whatever snacks we had. She was so pissed, but I asked her about it a year ago and she said " I wish I had a camera just so I could show you the look on your face. Priceless. "
WOW! Amazing planning for a 5th grader! Impressive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My childhood character: smart, proud, moody, creative, self-consciously different, insecure, needy, independent, articulate, harbored grudges, dramatic, not interested in my peers, wanted to be "perfect", noticed EVERYTHING, intrigued by how I could seemingly turn my emotions on and off, felt rejected by other people and told myself, I don't care, I'm better than them anyways.

Some memories...

Age 2/3:
wandering around on the back patio making up a short song to a bird and singing it a lot.

Ages 4-6:
Climbing to the top of the back fence to look at the sunset and mountains and feeling a strong, strange longing.

Being bored in Sunday School class and interrupting to ask, "what is she (classmate wearing)? Is it a skirt or shorts? [It was a skort.]

Getting a crush on a college student. (my first, and last for a long time.) It was something along the lines of, "He's really tall and he has blonde hair. I think we'd be good together."

Huddled against the light switches around the corner of the kitchen, plugging my ears so hard they hurt, listening to the first time I had heard my mother laugh- with the contractor who was doing our kitchen. Being really scared, but not moving, because I had to know what was happening.

Getting really angry because my brothers were excluding me from play, trying to talk to my dad about it, and him thinking that I was upset because he wasn't home more. Him comforting me, and me thinking, I'm lying, but I don't care because this is the only way/ time he will care for me.

A girl from church who was really mean to me.

Crawling into my sister's bed in the morning because I was lonely.

Ages 7-10:
Being embarrassingly silly (and knowing it) to try to get attention/ affirmation from my mom.

Began my first "research" phrase: identifying and memorizing basic/ interesting facts about all dog breeds.

Keeping a songbook with me in the car and always singing from it for road trips.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
My brother and I were a part of a 4-H Club. There was a course in that club dealing with rifle training and target practice, using BB rifles. We got to keep those BB rifles at home to practice shooting with, and I remember one time when I shot a BB at one of the sheds on our ranch.

Well, that one little BB bounced off that shed, flew across the yard to another shed, bounced off that, and hit my brother in the behind as he was walking back to the house. It was all totally by accident, I wasn't aiming anywhere near him. I couldn't see the BB either it was so small, but I heard it when it hit the buildings.

"Ting! Ting! OW!" :laughing:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My brother and I were a part of a 4-H Club. There was a course in that club dealing with rifle training and target practice, using BB rifles. We got to keep those BB rifles at home to practice shooting with, and I remember one time when I shot a BB at one of the sheds on our ranch.

Well, that one little BB bounced off that shed, flew across the yard to another shed, bounced off that, and hit my brother in the behind as he was walking back to the house. It was all totally by accident, I wasn't aiming anywhere near him. I couldn't see the BB either it was so small, but I heard it when it hit the buildings.

"Ting! Ting! OW!" :laughing:
That is funny. My brother and I used to shoot each other (on purpose!) with BB guns. Brotherly love!

·
Registered
210 Posts
As a child I had some strange occurrences of prescience that I can't fully explain.

I was at a large antique's fair when I was 8 or 9 years old. I noticed this man browsing the stalls and was then drawn to an ornament of a lady positioned on the next stall. I then had a vision of him walking over to the next stall, knocking the ornament onto the ground, smashing it to pieces and then apologising profusely to the stall owner. Five seconds later...

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
one time in third grade I was bored in math class ... so I put some clay on a bean and stuck up my nose. And then the bean and clay got stuck... in my nose

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As a child I had some strange occurrences of prescience that I can't fully explain.

I was at a large antique's fair when I was 8 or 9 years old. I noticed this man browsing the stalls and was then drawn to an ornament of a lady positioned on the next stall. I then had a vision of him walking over to the next stall, knocking the ornament onto the ground, smashing it to pieces and then apologising profusely to the stall owner. Five seconds later...
Very interesting....do you tend to chalk it up to a high level of perception or something more mysterious? By high level of perception I mean, perhaps subconsciously you noticed qualities about the man that would cause you consciously to conclude that it would happen.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was the last child in my immediate family AND last grandchild. You may think I was spoiled, but I was always left alone because of age difference. In elementary school and middle school, I was the loner. As I got into high school, I opened up enormously. I had the hugest crush on this boy from 6th grade up until 12th. (First crush) I told a friend of mine and she humiliated me in front of his friends...as well as him. She told him and he rejected me. (That was 9th grade)

WORST FEELING EVER!

Find out he had to sit next to me in a class. Ugh! Avoided him at all cost. Even skipped that class because just being around him made me nervous. The worst part is that I knew he liked me back in a way, but he already had an ego to maintain. :frustrating: Hated him for awhile, yet I still think of him from time to time.

Lol, yeah sorry that was more of a rant. Most of my childhood memories were me being alone and having imagination be my friend. I am still pretty much a loner til this day. Yet I can be the friendliest person you'll meet. :tongue:

·
Registered
55 Posts

I get these a lot. It happens daily, but I am unaware of it at the time until it just happens. It's cool, but freaky. I freak out when it happens to be honest.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I remember when I was somewhere between 6-7, I would have to stay in my room when my parents had friends over. We lived in California at the time. (I was a military brat--moved often) I would get bored sometimes, and one day I was stuck in there for hours. I felt pretty lonely, and after throwing a babyish temper tantrum, where I banged on the doors and yelled for my parents, I started to pray.

I wasn't raised in a very religious family. I think my mom was raised Roman Catholic, but only practiced it when our extremely Irish Grandmother comes into town. My father was raised some type of Baptist, but I've never seen him practice it.

But when I was praying I felt really connected to God. Unfortunately, I prayed for super powers. I kept focusing my thoughts externally, asking for super powers. When I woke up the next day, I was disappointed that God wouldn't give me powers after I could do so much good.

Instead of losing my belief I started to wonder why he would choose to not comply to my outrageous request. I came to the idea that I had to prove myself before I'd be worthy of requesting anything.

My idea of spirituality has evolved something fierce since then, but I wonder how much those thoughts have impacted my perspectives. At the time they felt very important.

Thanks @DJL for creating this thread. I was reminiscing this earlier today and thought about making a thread for simular stories. I think this one works great for it. :happy:

Reactions: DJL and popeyeya

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I remember when I was somewhere between 6-7, I would have to stay in my room when my parents had friends over. We lived in California at the time. (I was a military brat--moved often) I would get bored sometimes, and one day I was stuck in there for hours. I felt pretty lonely, and after throwing a babyish temper tantrum, where I banged on the doors and yelled for my parents, I started to pray.

I wasn't raised in a very religious family. I think my mom was raised Roman Catholic, but only practiced it when our extremely Irish Grandmother comes into town. My father was raised some type of Baptist, but I've never seen him practice it.

But when I was praying I felt really connected to God. Unfortunately, I prayed for super powers. I kept focusing my thoughts externally, asking for super powers. When I woke up the next day, I was disappointed that God wouldn't give me powers after I could do so much good.

Instead of losing my belief I started to wonder why he would choose to not comply to my outrageous request. I came to the idea that I had to prove myself before I'd be worthy of requesting anything.

My idea of spirituality has evolved something fierce since then, but I wonder how much those thoughts have impacted my perspectives. At the time they felt very important.

Thanks @DJL for creating this thread. I was reminiscing this earlier today and thought about making a thread for simular stories. I think this one works great for it. :happy:

You're welcome. The day I created the thread I too was reminiscing about some childhood events.

I understand the "belief" thing you mentioned. Instead of loosing faith, which many would do, you instead questioned why your request was not granted. This train of thought shows that as a child you had belief in God, and you acknowledged you (or we) don't fully understand all the "whys" attached to having belief. I think that is a very healthy approach.

I too do this, as a kid, and as an adult.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
My middle sister and I always used to play in the garden when we lived at our first house. One of the neighbors had an enormous tree - we used to lay in the back garden and watch it swaying in the wind. I can remember telling my sister that it looked like a giant piece of broccoli. We always wondered what would happen if it fell down.

We also used to 'spy' on the people that worked in the factory behind our house. We would think they couldnt see us because we were hiding behind the outside bin, but the workers saw us. They always laughed when they saw us, which now that I think about it I understand. They would have just seen two little girls 'hiding' in plain sight, watching them through a load of bushes and a fence. We would pretend they were 'bad guys' and we were spying on them to find out their evil plans. :laughing: Some of the best times of my child hood I spent with my sister.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts