Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being nostalgic by nature, I often look back on my childhood and find certain moments which I find funny now; moments that were sort of.. just off on a different plane than my peers, I think.
In elementary, I always sensed my mind worked in a different way than others and I was insecure about this and kept it to myself. I always thought to too abstractly or something when faced with directions, like I couldn't understand the logical instructions and always delved too much beyond it.
There was this one memory that stood out and I chuckle about it now because I actually think it was pretty cool of child-me. September 11th happened and our class was told to draw pictures that represented the situation. When I think about it now, I wonder how everyone else perceived this and what they did with it. But anyway, my drawing was of the buildings and I formed the little windows into a sort of sad face, eyes and mouth, and made people jumping out as if they were tears. This idea came from me hearing that there were people who actually chose to jump to their deaths instead of remaining in a crashing building; it was poignant to me. I remember being pretty content with my work but evidently, my teacher had no idea how to take my work in.. It's funny now looking back because I remember an almost disturbed expression on her face and I sensed her trying to figure out how to tell me that that wasn't the project's objective or something. Haha.
From the outside perspective, it probably would have been a bit alarming and perturbing to see such a (seemingly) sweet and quiet child draw people jumping out of the buildings. :proud:
So after this big rant, I was wondering if any other INFJs have memories and stories like this? Any patterns from childhood that relate distinctly to our type?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Well, this one rates high on the weird spectrum.

My friend and I were hiding behind a shed because we were playing and I didn't want to go to the mall with my dad. (Wanted to play.)

We didn't want to leave the shed and get caught, and then the guy had to pee, so he just peed in a spot next to him.

Take note I was 3 at the time.

·
Banned
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, that would have been an interesting drawing to see. My INFJ brother and I are very close in age so when we were kids we created our own universe. We had the best childhood. My brother and i even shared our invisible friend lol!
That must've been so amazing.. I always wanted a sibling closer to my age but all of mine are 5-6 years apart. =[

I never had imaginary friends because I was occupied with barbies and The Sims 2. :tongue:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I was sick once in kindergarten for a few day, but faked being sick longer so that I could remain inside and draw rather than attend recess with the other children. I related more to the teacher than the children. Then I felt funny about it, so stopped faking after a couple of days.

Once in fourth or fifth grade, one of my teacher began praising my dry sense of humor in front of the class, and praising how polite I was. Not wanting the attention, or to be singled out, I started making fun of her in an attempt to make her stop.

Sometimes, when I was a really depressed young teen (abusive father, and the usual angst stuff), I would run barefoot deep into the woods in the middle of the night and just stand under the moon listening to the wolves and coyotes howl all around me.

Once, my childhood friend, who had a very terrible childhood, tried to talk me into running away with him. We were probably nine or ten or so. I felt bad and wanted help, and agreed, but in the end could not (despite my own shitty situation his was far worse and ended with his threatening his stepfather with a shotgun when he grew older). I felt bad, and started crying, thinking I had let him down, but not knowing what else to do.

I used to create lush, detailed fantasy worlds in my head, so powerful that I felt as though I could actually see them. Whole countries, all very ordered.

I used to think that if I wished on enough dandelions (blowing the seeds into the wind) that my father would stop yelling at my mother and us, that they would stay together, and that everything would be okay. This eventually manifested as other, more severe, OCD behavior. Later, I just wished that he would die.

In first grade I used to play this game with another kid (probably INTX looking back, of course we were young then). We would look through newspapers circling every instance of a particular word. We had other variations, but I cannot remember what they were.

This is not really type either, but in first grade I had a crush on one of a set of twins Gina and Tina. Tina was the sort of funny, approachable one, Gina the sort of aloof, serious one. I liked Gina, but was too shy to talk to her. When I was eighteen, after graduating high school, I remember gong to my cousin's graduation in my original hometown (having moved in second grade) and this other lovely young woman whom I had not see since kindergarten remembered me because of my long eyelashes.

This is not particularly related to type, but once my sister, my two cousins, and I (probably all between 4 and 6) were playing in a closet at my grandparents' house, and when we closed the door we discovered that the handle was broken, trapping us in the dark. My grandmother was hard of hearing and could not hear our screaming, and only came to find us a several hours later when she wondered what happened to us.

Wow, I can't believe I remember all of this.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
I don’t remember enough details from past to relate anything particular to type. I guess as far back as I remember Iv always been as I am now.
I didnt have any friends in infant’s school (kindergarten) but I did have a friendly hamster and pinafore dress with two big pockets in the front.
I hated school from day one but I had to go. So I decide to take my hamster to school with me. One pocket full of hamster food the other with a hamster and some tissue.
The hamster slept all day and at lunchtime I sat my own and played wit it. Feeding her treats and watching her run around. For 3 days straight I was good as gold at school and my mum couldn’t work it out. When my mum asked me why I was being so good and liked school I told I had made a friend. She was really happy and petty much welled up and said I could bring my friend home for tea. So I want and got the hamster and said “just crackers mum she likes crackers”. It took a while and then my realised my friends at school was my hamster and I told her the whole thing. She rang up my teacher. Arrantly my teacher knew about the hamster and the friendly hamster was a bit of a legend in the schoolteacher tearoom. It literally just slept in y pocket and didn’t cause any problems. My teacher reported that I now spent my time staring out the window and playing with a hamster and that it was such significant progress from staring out the window running away and crying that she turned a blind eye.
My mum convinced me not to take the hamster to school any more in case the other kids hurt. I revert back to type. The hamster made reappearance for show and tell a few weeks later

My earliest memory is in a photo somewhere, is of when I was about 3/4 and a goat ate my hair.
I had very curly hair at the time we went to visit an animal-petting zoo. My mum and dad ignored the signs next of to the goats warning not to get to close, mum and dads Idea was to feed them sandwiches or something. So I was my buggy is was a bit old but my parents walked everywhere so I still had one. I was right up close to the goat pen and my mum and dad and the goats were have a massive petting and feeding frenzy. I felt something pull on my head tugging quite hard. A goat had popped its head through the pen and started eating my hair. I was good for a couple of minutes and then let out a little yelp because it hurt. By the time my parent noticed I had hardly any hair. My dad thought it hilarious and took a photo and my mum tried to get the goat off. When she asked why I didn’t saying anything earlier apparently I said I wanted to feed the goats and the goats think I have yummy hair. Most other little girls would have been traumatised, nope not me. My hair got cut short and I looked like a boy. You know how strangers greet kids. Well they would come and see me and go them my what an adorable little boy and pipe up with I’m a girl and say a goat ate my hair the goats thinks my hair is yummy completely oblivious to it being an odd thing to say.

I loved storms and dramatic weather there was no keeping I indoor in a storm I loved the energy and would lay out in the garden. I also used to speak to bugs most of them were all named bugga (I didn’t know this was an inoffensive curse word). I used to draw pictures and make posters of bugs and tell people all about them.

When I was about 10 I went to a nature summer camp. It was very hot summer most of the spring pools were drying out quickly. One particular pool I noticed had still had some very moist mud in the bottom. There were loads of tadpoles wiggling away like mad in it. I remember think how much they wanted to live. So for 2 days solid I was caked in mud I had tadpole is buckets and pot in pockets just anything and moved to them to the lake and set them fee. Absolutely caked in stinky mud with tadpoles everywhere I men loads of mud and tadpoles!.
It want part of the conservation program I was meant to be drawing trees and collect bark samples to make into a picture, but they couldn’t make me draw trees.
I was saving the tadpoles.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Oh lord, I was such a goon as a kid. I remember one time my parents came to pick me up after staying for my grandparents for a week. They had all gone into the kitchen and I was by myself in the living room. My grandparents had one of those air conditioning units that fits into the window and I got the bright idea to pour tinkerbell bath powder (which was essentially baby powder) into this thing and turn it on. Needless to say, it was a huge mess but it was totally worth it. I thought it would be hilarious to see a huge cloud of powder come bursting out of the air conditioner and fill the room. I still think it's funny.

·
Banned
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh lord, I was such a goon as a kid. I remember one time my parents came to pick me up after staying for my grandparents for a week. They had all gone into the kitchen and I was by myself in the living room. My grandparents had one of those air conditioning units that fits into the window and I got the bright idea to pour tinkerbell bath powder (which was essentially baby powder) into this thing and turn it on. Needless to say, it was a huge mess but it was totally worth it. I thought it would be hilarious to see a huge cloud of powder come bursting out of the air conditioner and fill the room. I still think it's funny.
That's so cute - tinkerbell powder, hah.
I have a memory of my cousins and I all naked in the tub and we released a couple of goldfishes and just sat there watching them swim around us. *Ahh, I miss simplicity.

Reactions: aboyeraboyer

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
When I was in kindergarten I lost my first tooth biting into a corn dog.

When I was in kindergarten I was sitting right next to this other guy. He puked litereally ALL OVER my desk and I'm so glad I jumped out of my chair fast enough because a few seconds later it spewed on my chair. :dry:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Haha, here's another gem.

When I was in kindergarten, I fell in love with the bus patrol named Ronnie who was into grunge and had doc martens (Ronnie if you're out there, I'll never forget you!!). So one day I decided that to profess my love for him I would smash an egg on his head. Granted, he might not have known what my motives were behind it, that was the best way I could think of to express my feelings. In the morning before the bus came and when my mom (who had no idea I did this until I told her like 15 years later) was nowhere to be found I went in the fridge and gingerly put an egg into my backpack (which was a pink and orange lisa frank backpack with unicorns on it). Step one complete. The bus came and of course he was there. Now I, being the forever introverted judging child that I was, of course had to think this out before I acted. Upon weighing the pros and cons, I decided that smashing an egg on his head might not send the right message. But now I had this egg to deal with. I considered putting it in with the eggs we had in the incubator (every kindergarten hatched chicks where I live, did you do that too?) but I realized that since the eggs weren't fresh out of the chicken it wouldn't hatch and the teacher would get suspicious. I also considered tossing it out of the window, which I quickly rejected realizing that it was much much worse than my original plan. In the end I decided that the best idea was to just keep the egg in my backpack and put in back in the fridge when I got home. Crisis averted. When I got to school I went about my day like it was normal. Eventually recess rolled around and we had to tidy up before going outside. Great, no problem. So I put my backpack on top of all the other backpacks, being careful not to jostle it or anything. Perfect. I went outside and had a blast. The day was halfway over and everything was going perfectly! Until I came back inside and found 8 more backpacks on top of mine (and it was 8. i counted.). SOOO of course, I was mad. But even more so I was worried that my mom would find out because now I had this huge MEGA MESS IN MY BACKPACK! When I got home, I managed to sneak upstairs when and clean it out without my mom ever knowing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When I was like 8-10 or something and out in a summerhouse with some family, I one day went to the beach alone (I was left home alone and figured I might as well go down there, it wasn't very far and I felt mature enough to be able not to mess things up) so I went down there, found a bush and took off my undies and changed to some swimming trunks, and I figured I didn't want to misplace my undies because I wanted to change into them afterwards I was done playing in the water.

Then I put undies in one pocket of my swimming trunks and went out into the water! Little did I know that when I wanted to switch back afterwards they were all wet. :(

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I was always getting into trouble as a kid. I remember throwing empty bottles as if they were grenades up and down the sidewalk - of my own block, no less. Idiot.

I remember there was this chick I liked in 2nd grade. There was another guy who liked her too. So she had a competition for us. lol We were told to flush our heads down a toilet. Haha, you already know the outcome. But I learned my first lesson with girls and manipulation. (I still look back on this memory and wonder why I didn't just use the sink. Stupid kid.) :confused:

I was playing in my front yard with my brother. We had like 30 or 40 ninja turtle toys. Dinner was ready and my mom called us in. We started cleaning up the toys, but she yelled at us to "come inside now!" I protested and said, "Mom. Our toys are going to get stolen if we leave them out." She didn't give a shit. After dinner the toys were indeed stolen. Lesson learned - trust your own judgement.

Haha, I just remembered my first kiss. I was like 7 or 8 and had a crush on my neighbor. I told her I had a secret to tell her and brought her around back and gave her a kiss. Damn I was fly. What happened?

I was pretty young and out shopping with my mom. There was a circular clothing rack that I used as a hiding spot. After emerging (probably a few minutes) my mom was gone and I started balling. Some lady carried me to the front of the store. Oops.

When I was like 20 or so I invited a girl I liked over to a house party. She asked if she could invite "some of her friends." I said sure. What she counted as "some of her friends" ended up being her entire fucking high school. The cunt handed out flyers even... Haha, my parents jewelry was stolen, my brother's laptop, a bunch of my ps2 games and moves, etc. The best part about it was my parents were in Europe and told us "No parties. I don't care if you guys make babies, but no one comes into our house while we're gone. Got it?" lol I actually sent my mom an email while she was out of the country. Let me see if I can find that for added hilarity. Weird. I couldn't find it, but I do know my mom has it framed on her wall somewhere (no joke!). Haha BUT I did find this little gem (the email I wrote to the bitch):

Upon waking up this morning, we discovered that Justin's laptop was
stolen ($1600). Sucks for him... Well, my parents room was still
locked and we deduced that apparently no one was in there. Well, I
managed to break in with a credit card (first try, yay...) and I
discovered that not only had someone been on the bed, but... We were
robbed - big time... My mom had a few (expensive) rings - all gone.
I don't know the exact price, but it's well over $10,000. Please God,
I hope those were insured... If I was depressed before, then I'm
suicidal now... When my parents get home (I'm not fucking telling
them when they are in Europe - I'm not ruining their trip...) I'm
either going to get kicked out or killed. I have no idea how this
happened. We were guarding the rooms all night (one of the reason I
stayed sober the whole time). I never saw anyone go in or anyone come
out. One minute the door was unlocked, and the next, it was locked.
You have no idea how much I want to just pack up and leave right
now... Or just wake up from this goddamn nightmare... To repeat: I
AM FUCKED...

Well, I hope you enjoyed your party (which you were absent from most
of the time). If these two things didn't happen (the laptop and
rings), it would be smooth sailing. I cleaned up all the broken
bottles, cigarette butts, cans, etc. in a few hours. Only a few minor
things got broken (plant pots and the like). But yeah, there is
nothing on my mind right now except high-tailing. When I found out, I
sat on the couch crying for God knows how long... Needless to say, I
will never be hosting another party in my life.

Justin says I am naive (and I probably am) , but when you said you
were inviting over some friends, I thought 20-30 people would show up.
If I had known over the course of the night that over 300 people
would come and go, you bet my ass off I would have said, "Fuck no!"
Everything bad starting happening last Saturday, and now the week ends
today. And so ends the worst week of my life...
Hahaha and to make matters worse, my parents MOVED THE JEWELRY TO A FRIEND'S HOUSE! We could have gotten away with it! lol

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
I was always getting into trouble as a kid. I remember throwing empty bottles as if they were grenades up and down the sidewalk - of my own block, no less. Idiot.

I remember there was this chick I liked in 2nd grade. There was another guy who liked her too. So she had a competition for us. lol We were told to flush our heads down a toilet. Haha, you already know the outcome. But I learned my first lesson with girls and manipulation. (I still look back on this memory and wonder why I didn't just use the sink. Stupid kid.) :confused:
Don't hate me I used to get boys to have compertitions over me. I caused a few chewed up BMX bikes due to dave devil comps.........still do have a thing for ISTP:crazy:
That part thing happend to me to. I must have been 14-15 my sister still hates me.
Your stories are so funny thanks :happy:

Reactions: ertertwert

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I always had an over active imagination (I still do) so one of my favorite pass times when I was about 7 was to use one of our living rooms as a class for my imagined students (5 or 6). I had this encyclopedia for kids that I used to make lessons from and even make up tests for the students (for real on paper). After I would fill the papers (even make some mistakes) and I would correct the papers. :crazy:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have a terrible, weird memory when I was a little kid: right after Kennedy had been assassinated, we had a neighbor who said "I don't care about Kennedy, because I am a Republican".

I'd put my hand on a stack of bibles; I swear this was something I never forgot.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I was a dirt kind of kid. I loved playing in the dirt. When I was around six years old, I was having the time of my life in a large dirt pile during my older brother's little league game. Some snot-nosed kid marched in and declared that he was taking over said dirt pile. I was absolutely livid. I stormed over to my father (probably covered in dirt) and indignantly told him what had happened. He asked me, "Well, what do you think you should do about it?"

Child-me: "I'm gonna go mess up his face!"

I don't recall actually messing up this kids face (I was a skinny, spindly child and probably couldn't have done much damage anyway), but I know I did storm back over there and that I made it absolutely clear to this little punk that I was NOT going anywhere.

I'm not sure if that has to do with being INFJ...I just got rather revved up and "spirited" in the face of injustice. But seriously, who the hell did that kid think he was?

To this day, my father loves telling people that story.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
I was a dirt kid was you obsessed with bugs?
I was also a 'potions' kid. I would get empty plasitc Sodabottles and then fill them with stuff, milk and shampo and dirt and all sorts. Then I would shake them up and see what magic science potion they turned in to.
I was always realy bad in the bath tub. Bubble bath and shaving foam all got mixed up into a potion drove my mum mad. My favorite thing was to get a bar of soap and then soap it up in some water until it was soft and then breack it into peices and put it in a bottle of milk/soda/water and leave it. The best ones also had glitter in them.

just remembered how much I miss dirt and magic science potions:sad:

Im starting to like american words

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was a dirt kid was you obsessed with bugs?
I was also a 'potions' kid. I would get empty plasitc Sodabottles and then fill them with stuff, milk and shampo and dirt and all sorts. Then I would shake them up and see what magic science potion they turned in to.
I was always realy bad in the bath tub. Bubble bath and shaving foam all got mixed up into a potion drove my mum mad. My favorite thing was to get a bar of soap and then soap it up in some water until it was soft and then breack it into peices and put it in a bottle of milk/soda/water and leave it. The best ones also had glitter in them.

just remembered how much I miss dirt and magic science potions:sad:

Im starting to like american words
I MADE POTIONS TOO! I put stuff in the bathroom, soy sauce, and glitter in mine. It was in an old peanut butter jar. It was so gross. And I made my mom a snow globe with a doll I got from a happy meal out of an old peanut butter jar. It basically glued her to the top and filled the jar part with water and glitter then duct taped it closed. That one was super gross (we found it recently, UGH!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts