Personality Cafe banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've had to experience enough death and personal loss to last 3 eternities, and has forever conditioned me. However, I do understand what you are saying to a point, and true introverts can be a little cynical, anyone can I guess. It's my general understanding that an INFJ looks to seek a brighter and more harmonious world in which we live. I think that's why we have one of the better Bull Shit-O-Meters inbuilt. We can see both the light and the dark at the same time.

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
I'm a "Goth" as far as a lot of my tastes are concerned. I like Gothic/Classic Horror novels such as the works of Poe or Lovecraft, and classic horror movies (ones from around the 1920s - 1940s are my favorites). I love Neoclassical Darkwave (Sopor Aeternus -- Anna Varney Cantodea is my avatar on here), and my overall aesthetic is Gothic. I'm often picked on by friends and relatives because I don't wear much besides black.

I've always been drawn to things like that -- for as long as I can remember. I don't know if it's necessarily an INFJ thing, though.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hmmm darkness, it depends.

I can read horror books and watch horror movies because those darkness only exist in the fictional world, but when it comes to darkness that happens in real life, I am unable to read all those things, because those negativity just affect my emotions too much.
Like if I happen to flip the newspaper and I saw a news about someone being killed or something, my mood can't help but to start getting affected by the news. I guess this is why I avoid the newspaper like plague.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm a "Goth" as far as a lot of my tastes are concerned. I like Gothic/Classic Horror novels such as the works of Poe or Lovecraft, and classic horror movies (ones from around the 1920s - 1940s are my favorites). I love Neoclassical Darkwave (Sopor Aeternus -- Anna Varney Cantodea is my avatar on here), and my overall aesthetic is Gothic. I'm often picked on by friends and relatives because I don't wear much besides black.

I've always been drawn to things like that -- for as long as I can remember. I don't know if it's necessarily an INFJ thing, though.
Yeah, I'm pretty much the same in that regards.. I guess what I mean is that, from an INFJ perspective some of us are drawn to the darker side of the human condition, I guess not because we agree with it etc, but because it's interesting to see what makes people tick.. the inner psychologist I guess hehe

I think in my case though a lot of it comes from being the outsider in life, despite trying to fit in etc.. so I naturally gravitate to things outside the norm because in a sense I can relate to them.. don't get me wrong though, its not doom/gloom 24/7, just find it interesting how I can relate when a lot of others won't even go down that path.. that's why I thought it might be similar for other INFJ's

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
Hmmm darkness, it depends.

I can read horror books and watch horror movies because those darkness only exist in the fictional world, but when it comes to darkness that happens in real life, I am unable to read all those things, because those negativity just affect my emotions too much.
Like if I happen to flip the newspaper and I saw a news about someone being killed or something, my mood can't help but to start getting affected by the news. I guess this is why I avoid the newspaper like plague.
Horror has actually fallen out of favor with me as of late because I keep on tying it to real life and real pain, which becomes too overwhelming. I don't like that I'm doing that, though. I miss having fun with it.

Reactions: Schizoid

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think in my case though a lot of it comes from being the outsider in life, despite trying to fit in etc..
Now that, is typical for my experience as INFJ. I saw in another post today, and I had to laugh, that another acronym for INFJ is FREAK. Most just don't understand the depths INFJ really experience and are.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Honestly... no. I'm pretty bright person and I tend to avoid darker stuff. Well only "darker" stuff I like is "caleb" saga by Sonata Arctica. A series of songs about obsessive love. But it might be because I liked songs before I found out about meaning haha

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Ok here's something some people might relate to, anyone else here gravitate to darker subject matter? I'm a big fan of horror, suspense and even nightmarish surrealism. I listen to and play metal and alternative rock, with an emphasis on dark tones or melancholic feeling/lyrics. I find myself drawn constantly to dark fiction, in particular h.p lovecraft. I dream strange dreams of 'alien' places, distorted versions of the world we live in, and sometimes not our world at all. I tend to deal best with people who have a similar dark or cynical sense of humour or view of the world. In general, I feel sometimes like I am looking in on an alien environment, which in turn influences my relation with the material I watch/read/listen to.. I also exhibit the typical INFJ trait of feeling like the outsider, not in a negative sense.. but in the aspect that It allows me to look into the fishbowl, even though I inhabit it.. it also lets me see an inner darkness in my worldly surroundings, and in the people that occupy it. It's not a bad thing really, but it does plague my thoughts on an almost daily basis.

Do any other INFJ's have this issue?
You may hate to hear this, but I think this sounds more like an INFP issue than an INFJ issue.

My darkness is that of which I feel a disconnect to the world, like I'M the alien. Also, I feel a sense of meaninglessness in the cosmos...we are so small and insignificant, we live and die.

Fortunately, I have trained myself to frame all of this positively and realize that BECAUSE life is fleeting it is beautiful, and BECAUSE I'm so distant and misunderstood by others, I'm unique and, in a sense, more aware BECAUSE I feel so apart from it all (see Plato's Cave).

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I do associate this more with Ne-Si, personally, but maybe I'm projecting. I think we're more likely to view something like this as garish or cheesy. Like when I think of people who like that dorky operatic-metal music that some people go for, they're like all INTPs. I think we like our bleakness to be more austere, minimalistic, or moody, rather than stomping around like an elephant and lacking any subtlety.

For example something like Holy Other's music, when Witch House was still a thing. It's more ambiguous:
https://youtu.be/M8waHFiyyF0
https://youtu.be/LxQOf06PZCU

Or like anything by the Haxan Cloak, deeply unsettling, but all by casual suggestion, you hardly have the conjure anything, because the wilderness is already there in your mind. Our ancestors have been terrified of tigers hiding in the tall grasses for a millions of years, and we still carry that genetic instinct, the domain of terror is already in our unconscious.
https://youtu.be/kvYINffqTcc

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Mostly seeking 'darkness' in phases with people previously suggesting that I have been known to read the darker sides of subjects (psychology, history, medical science, sociology etc.) without even seeing anything besides the facts.
These days I try not to avoid doom and gloom, misery or pain not actively seek them out in world news or the media unless wishing to know more about other cultures.
Grewing up around too much negativity, miserable people and people prone to projecting faults/issues onto others as if theirs to own. Finding darkness or darker mindsets is still easy but to a point more a matter of choice and self awareness for example if feeling overwhelmed, tired, hungry or cynical about external events perceived banalities.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.