Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this topic drudges up junk, but my curiosity is winning out. So my question is, did you/do you hang with a certain crowd in high school, and if so what sort of label was/is that group assigned and what was your experience with this?

So I'll start off... I went to a pretty small high school in rural, midwestern usa. because i was athletic, i mostly hung around with the 'popular' crowd. however, i never felt much like an insider. towards the middle/end of sophomore year about four of us gals gradually stepped away from that group and started doing everything together. this elicited the label "the clique" by those we weren't spending a lot of time with anymore and we became mocked and disliked quite a bit. but it was the best thing for me, even if it was divisive.

i also don't feel like i really knew myself at all in high school and for that reason i didn't connect on a super deep level even with these three girls that i was spending much of my time with. after highschool i had decided i wasn't going to continue any high school friendships (beyond a shallow level), but fate had a different plan, and now my closest friends is one of these girls, an intp.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Well we're pretty similar in that... I was in with the Football team and the Choir kids, because I was in both.

But I didn't feel really "at home" in either group. I became closer friends with a small group of guys and girls... they were free-spirited... we didn't really care about fasion or popularity. We were picked on a bit, but we knew enough popular kids so that we were never really picked on all that much.

·
Registered
836 Posts
i grew up in a some rural high school, a place where most people said hi and were friendly with everyone.

i was cliqueless... but i played soccer, attended a math, science, and technology school in the morning, was in a literary club, latin club, went on mission trips, and participated in 'pop quiz' (a nerdy trivia team, haha).

i wouldnt call myself "popular" in the conventional sense... but i definitely got invited to their parties.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry if this topic drudges up junk, but my curiosity is winning out. So my question is, did you/do you hang with a certain crowd in high school, and if so what sort of label was/is that group assigned and what was your experience with this?.

I went to a very small, predominately white and Jewish private school in New York. There weren't really a lot of clique; it was mostly the drama kids and then everyone else. If I had to assign myself to a group, it would probably be the stoner kids, although eventually most people in my school began to explore weed and other drugs. I hung out with a lot of people in high school, went to a lot of parties, and was fairly "popular", but those were the people I felt most comfortable with. Everyone else I couldn't really connect with. I became quite bitter towards the end of high school, because there were a lot of politics that I just did not agree with. I guess it sparked the little activist in me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I moved to a different state in the middle of my sophomore year. I guess you could say I was part of the iconiclastic crowd (i.e. Goths, punks, atheists/agnostics, debaters, artists, theater kids, class clowns, the kids that didn't like to wear shoes, etc). I avoided the "in" group. Solely because their lack of substance physically drained me. I had moved from southern Florida to smack in the middle of conservative-republican bible belt where no one thinks for themselves, probably because they don't have the self-awareness to do so. Then you throw in the superficial sorority fraternity "OU Sooners, beer, and being hotter than everyone else iz my lyfe omg" robots, and it was enough to keep me thoroughly dusgustipated. The majority of the people around me were so mindnumbingly worried about whether or not their hair was bleached, whether or not their tan would stick, if the people they don't care about would win the game they only care about because everyone else cares about it, and so on. If I hadn't found a few diamonds in the rough, I'd be gone by now. Though, I feel I floated through everyone, I had the sensation that I was involved at a shallow level. I felt most myself when I was on my own. And so far, none of the high school friendships have evolved past this level.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I was definitely not in the popular crowd. I went to a small rural southern high school school in the late eighties, early nineties, and there were two popular cliques, those concerned with athletics, and those concerned with agriculture and animal husbandry, neither of which I felt particularly drawn to. I belonged to the metal-head/hippie group, which was about eight or ten strong at it's strongest.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I was a part of the "clique" that wasn't a part of any clique - if that makes sense. Not popular. I've never fitted in with any popular group or people... I just find I can't speak that language or something, like I'm missing that chip. I wonder if it has something to do with the so instinctual variant, which for me is my last, or just, socialization FAIL. *grins*

EDIT: But I guess I don't really even care about popularity though, so whatever.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was in the kinda-cool kinda-good-people clique. I wasn't really popular at all in high school since I didn't do any athletics or talk to a lot of people. Of course that all changed in college haha.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I didn't really hang out with anyone. I was my own person and perfectly okay with that.

I did have a "out cast" group that I had friends in. Thing is i could of pretended to be normal, i just didn't want to. I went my whole high school years fighting stereotypes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I moved to a different state in the middle of my sophomore year. I guess you could say I was part of the iconiclastic crowd (i.e. Goths, punks, atheists/agnostics, debaters, artists, theater kids, class clowns, the kids that didn't like to wear shoes, etc). I avoided the "in" group. Solely because their lack of substance physically drained me. I had moved from southern Florida to smack in the middle of conservative-republican bible belt where no one thinks for themselves, probably because they don't have the self-awareness to do so. Then you throw in the superficial sorority fraternity "OU Sooners, beer, and being hotter than everyone else iz my lyfe omg" robots, and it was enough to keep me thoroughly dusgustipated. The majority of the people around me were so mindnumbingly worried about whether or not their hair was bleached, whether or not their tan would stick, if the people they don't care about would win the game they only care about because everyone else cares about it, and so on. If I hadn't found a few diamonds in the rough, I'd be gone by now. Though, I feel I floated through everyone, I had the sensation that I was involved at a shallow level. I felt most myself when I was on my own. And so far, none of the high school friendships have evolved past this level.
I wouldn't say I'm a total outside but most of my friends aren't normal or kinda nerdy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well, as an INFJ currently attending high-school, I typically hangout with a few very close friends, drama kids/smart people, or I spend time in the weight room. Though I must admit, I only enjoy spending time with my close friends (an INFP and ENTP). I am relatively well known around the school as the smartish, funny, and strange kid who looks 20 years old...

OH and I'm captain of our improvised acting team which has a large variety of people from different social cliques

·
Registered
141 Posts
Right now I hang out with the band kids, gate kids(the smart kids), the out casts, and basically anyone who gives a rats behind wheather or not i exist. I don't fit in with the popular crowd at all(they never know when to shut up). But any way a lot of people know me for the simple fact i am a part of a lot of groups. oh and when play/musical comes around i talk to even more people because i am in crew/pitt

·
Registered
802 Posts
I hung out with an eclectic bunch. Different religions, different races. The one thing we did have in common was that we were all good students (at least a high B average). I guess maybe I ran with multiple cliques? I had friends from string orchestra, friends from honors English, friends from clubs, etc. Some were into sports, and some were not. Some dated a lot, while others didn't date at all. Some were really religious, and some openly mocked religion. Strangely enough, I felt like I was pretty good friends with most of them. Of course, there were only two or three that I was really close to, but the others were not merely "casual" friends. In high school, I definitely had friendship circles like tree rings - there were the closest friends, then those right outside the closest ring, then some further out, etc.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Well let's see... highschool, I was in the art crowd and I was the only artist in the school so I was basically alone. I have a good INTJ from highschool who I still talk to. I guess you could call us a clique? I never really saw us as a clique though. I didn't hang out with them much outside of school until after graduating.

I was a loner for the most part. I spent my times on the computer, at home, sketching in my room, talking to other artists on the internet, and singing in my spare time. So yeah.... I think people tend to look at me and think I'm very cliquey because I pick and choose my friends carefully and it's hard for people to break into my inner circle unless I allow them. I think other people are definitely aware of that, but I've met alot of great people in college that I still don't hang out with regularly. I'll make the time and go to places if I'm invited, but uhhh yeah.... :crazy: There just has to be something more than just 'having fun' for me to invite somebody in to my inner circle. Has to be some depth, understanding, and common grounds with our values.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I have always gotten along better with people who are older than me. The people in my own age group have always been so shallow and materialistic. And as others have said, they only care about things because others care about them and a large percentage of them couldn't think for themselves if their life depended on it. My peers were especially cruel to me during high school. During my first year, I befriended a group of people who were in grade 12. They all thought for themselves and I felt really at home with them. They made me laugh and accepted me for who I was. For the most part, I hung out with them. So when I went to grade 10, I had to search out new friends. I was also "friends" (if you want to call it that) with a group of French immersion students who were in my cooking class. I found out that they gossipped about and made fun of everyone behind their back (including each other) and I decided that I didn't want to associate with people like that. So, I didn't have any friends for the last part of that year. I spent all of my time by myself and though I was incredibly lonely, I was okay with that.

I switched high schools and this time, I went to a much smaller school. I ended up hanging around with a group of kids that didn't want to be a part of the popular crowd. We just wanted to be ourselves and if that wasn't cool, then we didn't care. We didn't really have a title. We weren't the art kids or the misfits, we were just ourselves. As corny as that sounds, LOL.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I mostly made friends with just one person at school. It has always been that way with me. But since you get more classes with different people at high school, sometimes I would make two in one semester and in time it became like a collection. I mostly kept to myself, and I barely spoke. I also had a close friend in the early years and maybe that was all I needed.
At the end of high school the friends I made were connected to other people and so I would sometimes hang out with them as a group. Most of them would fit the smart students. But generally I got along the best with people who seemed to not really belong, just drifting alone, and I think it's because of their hobbies or interests. I was in contact with some of them when we graduated, and we ended up forming a little group. Each one of them I think would fit in a different sect in Goth along with my other friends... that on a global scale we would be part of our own cliques but since those didn't exist in the small city we lived in, we were just wandering around alone orphan-like :p

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
In my younger high school years, I was a loner

Strangely enough, that became my selling point to popularity in my later years, so I wound up being (lightly) associated with each clique, without really affiliating myself with any of them

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
In my younger high school years, I was a loner

Strangely enough, that became my selling point to popularity in my later years, so I wound up being (lightly) associated with each clique, without really affiliating myself with any of them
this sounds like the glorified description of what high school was like for me.
lol

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Was always a part of the nerd group. Studied and played video games at a ghetto school. Had a handful of friends. A few of which, I still talk to today.

Freshmen year I was made fun of at times because I was so small and probably looked 10 years old. But I never put up with their talk so they left me alone after that. I worked out in college and to a small extent probably, work out now, because I always had a small guy complex. Low self esteem i guess.

I should add that at 24, apparently I look somewhere between a big 16 year old or an 18 year old. Go figure.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts