Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found something out about myself today: This- The Highly Sensitive Person - is me.
I had no idea that existed before today, but now that I know, I feel like I'm trying to go back through everything else in my life and view it through this new lens.
So much of my life is explained through this idea of HSP.

Here's what's interesting to me...
I am an INFJ. I'm also a Type 6 (no idea of wings...). I also am diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. And now I've discovered that I am a HSP (not only that, but I score a 91% on the test...).

My husband and I were discussing which traits of mine come from where.
His thought is that they are inseparable and that they all affect each other.
I think that might be true.

My thoughts are going like this...
Do I have an anxiety disorder (OCD) because I am a HSP?
Do I classify as a "J" because of my OCD?
Would I score so high on "S" if I wasn't a HSP? Would I be more N? (I often score very close on the two)
Would I identify with INFJ so much if I wasn't a HSP?
Am I a Type 6 because of my high anxiety from being a HSP?
Or because I have OCD?
Which came first?
Born as a HSP, became a Type 6, then got OCD, then became an INFJ?

They say that HSP is inborn, and that your Myers-Briggs type develops...I personally think you are inclined at birth to be a certain type...

Lots of thoughts going through my mind, obviously.

Here's some questions I have for you, besides the onslaught of questions I just bombarded your mind with.

Are you familiar with/are you a HSP?
Even more helpful, are you a HSP who is also an INFJ?
Any INFJs with OCD?
Any Type 6 INFJs?

I just want some input. If you have it, shoot.

Ready....go.

Reactions: dvnj22

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I'm an HSP who sometimes doesn't give a %@$% and yeah I do notice a ton of stuff that seems to escape others

and then when I ask questions about what I see people get this look "hmmm never noticed that before, intersting"

of course I also miss a lot of things, there's too much to take in at any one time

I also find HSPs very attractive, as long as they have the willpower to take action in spite of their sensitivity

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Am glad this recent discovery has been helpful for you. I'm HSP as well as INFJ. And yes, it was extremely helpful for me to make each of these discoveries. Enneagram - i'm type 5 but that means virtually nothing to me!! I must look into the enneagram stuff sometime.

I don't think i can contribute to your what-causes-what questions but i'm interested to see what others say.

I've had ocd in the past - still do, but less severely as the years pass. And am currently on prozac and this tends to reduce ocd symptoms. Also I experience the negative aspects of being HSP less than in the past. This is one of the advantages of getting older I think - you tend to worry somewhat less what people think about you and you get hurt less easily.

I think the key thing to remember about being HSP is that it has advantages as well as disadvantages - Elaine Aron's book is very good on this.

There was a thread recently on INFJ / HSP - a couple of weeks before you joined http://personalitycafe.com/infj-for...more-likely-hsps-highly-sensitive-people.html

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I am INFJ and most likely type 6 I don't have OCD and I don't test as a HSP either I hate that term anyway it seems very derogatory to me implying that the person is too weak and too sensitive. I can guarantee you though I was always INFJ and probably always type 6 nothing ever made me any of those it is just always the way my mind has worked. I changed a bit growing up but overall I haven't really changed at all I still think the same way I did when I was a child.

Also I scored highest as type 5 before but my results were all over the place and I couldn't make much sense of it until @PlushWitch suggested I might actually be type 6 which is probably correct I can really relate to the loyalist sceptic description of type 6 more than any other type.

My latest Ennegram results
Type 9 - 11.3
Type 6 - 11.3
Type 5 - 10.3
Type 2 - 9
Type 1 - 7.3
Type 4 - 4.3
Type 7 - 2.3
Type 8 - 2

Wing 6w5 - 16.5
Wing 5w6 - 16
Wing 9w1 - 15
Wing 1w9 - 13
Wing 2w1 - 12.7
Wing 5w4 - 12.5
Wing 6w7 - 12.5
Wing 9w8 - 12.3
Wing 1w2 - 11.8
Wing 2w3 - 10.5
Wing 4w5 - 9.5
Wing 7w6 - 8
Wing 8w9 - 7.7
Wing 4w3 - 5.8
Wing 7w8 - 3.3
Wing 8w7 - 3.2

My previous results
Type 2 - 11
Type 5 - 10.3
Type 4 - 10.3
Type 6 - 10
Type 9 - 6.7
Type 1 - 6.7

Wing 5w4 - 15.5
Wing 4w5 - 15.5
Wing 5w6 - 15.3
Wing 6w5 - 15.2
Wing 2w1 - 14.4
Wing 2w3 - 12.7
Wing 1w2 - 12.2
Wing 4w3 - 12
Wing 6w7 - 10.7
Wing 1w9 - 10.1
Wing 9w1 - 10.1
Wing 9w8 - 6.7

Eclectic Energies Enneagram Tests (free)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I am an HSP who has mastered the 'aloof goofball' persona. My mind still reacts to things like it always did, but do you think you'll see it on my face? Heheh. :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the key thing to remember about being HSP is that it has advantages as well as disadvantages - Elaine Aron's book is very good on this.

There was a thread recently on INFJ / HSP - a couple of weeks before you joined http://personalitycafe.com/infj-for...more-likely-hsps-highly-sensitive-people.html
Thanks for that link! Funny that I just missed that thread.
We did actually go get that book by Elaine Aron yesterday! I'm going to start reading it tomorrow.

·
Banned
442 Posts
I tend to also be a very highly sensitive person too though you wouldn't know it in person because I usually act as cold, aloof, uncaring, and I don't really warm up to people until I feel I can trust them. As far as OCD ever see Leonardo Dicaprio in the Aviator? I can act very much that way in restrooms or at the dinner table. Not to that extreme and I wouldn't consider myself having OCD, but I can get really paranoid just like Dicaprio was in that movie.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Thanks for that link! Funny that I just missed that thread.
We did actually go get that book by Elaine Aron yesterday! I'm going to start reading it tomorrow.
Well maybe not. Although this site is great in so many ways I have to say i think the search facility isn't very good.

Hope you enjoy the book and find it useful.

·
Registered
47 Posts
HSP
OCD when stressed OR when in Ni Ti mode- when doing research or have something on my mind.
Test 1, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 on the enneagram (which I am still trying to understand but never feel compelled to fully delve into it). As I understand it 4, 5, 6 may give you some anxiety-esp 4s and 5s even if you are NOT an HSP-because those are in the thinking lobes of your brain and 9s are HIGHLY empathic people. Not romantics like the 4s but bonafide empaths.
Crystal aura (auric/energy centers have a lot to do with HSP impact or resonance-in my humble opinion)

A lot of HSPs take medication or use natural supplements to get by. You just have to get used to it and indeed stop giving too much to other folks or feeling so different. Its ok to be you. I know it is a lot to bare sometimes, but once you find your "way" to relax through it. . .you can live as an HSP comfortably. Well, comfortable but always "excitable"

Note, HSPs can develop PTSD symptoms IF you were overly stimulated as a child. We are always "on" absorbing so much so it can trigger the same CNS problems as an actual traumatic event. I remember as far back as pre school.... when it was music time I would go insane at all the noise. Over time. . .that did my sympathetic nervous system in. (I am not allowed to post links yet so read into the different parts of your Central Nervous System)

Also there are HSPs who are sensation seekers so an ENFP HSP would go out and seek the adrenaline where we may need to just go on home and take an epsom salt bath to recenter.

Also female HSPs are stuck with heightened nervous systems because of our reproductive system.

Just don't consume preservatives, breads/wheat or any caffeine or sugar. I'm an idiot, I smoke. I traveled and I sought stuff out as well.

I did need to move back in with my parents, get a crap job and hibernate just to unwind from it all. Almost 2 years after my adventures and I am still wound up.

Read Elaine Aaron's stuff as well as stuff by Judith Orloff, you may find solace in not being alone.

I agree with others....stop caring and you will be less hard on yourself in the long run.

MBTI leaves personality types with two choices....you are more of a feeler or more of a thinker (for nfs at least) without tampering with your heart chakra energies you can totallllllyyyyy get into thinking mode. Such a relief. Mine just shifted through life experience.

I hope that made sense. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh, I also know of an ESFJ and ISFP who are HSPs.... one is a blue aura the other is a yellow. Both of which seem to also have heightened intuitive traits....as do HSPs....

I know NTJs and STJs are more "dense" physically. We have different roles in life, so those born into the NF family will be more sensitive....it was just our jobs here on this planet. Not to be worker bees....but NFs :) hence, in my humble opinion why we are HSPs. Plus you force yourself to do shit you aren't naturally inclined to do...it will wreak havoc on your CNS :)

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,469 Posts
Are you familiar with/are you a HSP? Yes to both.
Even more helpful, are you a HSP who is also an INFJ? Yes (unfortunately :p)
Any INFJs with OCD? I have 1 in my tri-type, does that count? Just kidding :p (though I do have 1 in my tri-type)
Any Type 6 INFJs? Yes, I'm a core 6.

I'm also a blood type A which are known for producing a higher level of cortisol. Type Os produce a higher level of adrenaline. Anyway, high cortisol production has been linked with being HSP so just thought I'd mention it. Not that I think all blood type As will be HSP. Heck, my whole family are type As and most of them are extroverts and none are core 6's. I'm also not sure if they would identify as being HSP though I can definitely see my brother (type 9 INFP) identifying with it.

It seems to me that we all develop different coping mechanisms though. So while I do see my type 3 ENTJ dad is a very high strung person - he obviously has a very different way of coping with things - if you can even call it coping at all. I don't think he's learned how to cope with his anxiety other than using drugs which still don't seem to help. He's always so focused on efficiency and yet has gained nothing from it except a total lack of absorbing the present to the point where he can't relax and enjoy it. He's constantly doing absent-minded things. When he is around people, he enjoys being the center of attention.

My mom, a type 2 ESFJ (probably has 7 in her tri-type as well) eases her anxiety by being SUPER optimistic about everything even when she should be looking at things realistically. I guess turning a blind eye to reality prevents her from stressing out.

My type 7 ESFJ sister is constantly doing things and is a total people pleaser because she is terrified of confrontation. So I guess she keeps herself distracted from thinking too deeply most of the time. Because that would cause her to stress out.

Type 9 INFP brother I would say also turns a blind eye to certain things. He can be very avoidant to maintain that inner peace.

All that to say, I have my own set of problems as a type 6 INFJ.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts